ADVERTISEMENT

Local Talent

Remember how Blankenship took it to the extreme? We don't want to recruit more than half of our team out of Oklahoma which is what Blankenship did.(52% rough estimate) I think Graham had it right, and he recruited right around 40% out of Oklahoma. He hit the happy medium of just enough recruits that the quality did not go down, from what we were getting out of state. Monty took Oklahoma recruits way too far down obviously. He recruited around 25% over the years. Depending on the year, just under or over 40% seems to be a way to bring in better crowds and maintain the fairly even quality of in state and out of state players.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
I figure the percentage of state players depends on the quality of the class. It also depends how many other schools skim off as well.

For this year, I don’t follow high school ball much, so the best comparison for me is looking at who else is offering our recruits. We will have to see on that.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
I figure the percentage of state players depends on the quality of the class. It also depends how many other schools skim off as well.

For this year, I don’t follow high school ball much, so the best comparison for me is looking at who else is offering our recruits. We will have to see on that.
Yeah these are generalized %'s, it will go up or down considering the class and competition. But it's a nice rule of thumb to keep an eye on. If you are consistently 8% or 12% over or under, then something is wrong.

I’m surprised at his size that his best offer is Missouri State. Also moves really well

Reactions: StoopsBros
This kid is strong like an ox. He eats up some room on the interior of the line. I think with some D1 coaching there is a lot of potential there. I would expect he is a RS candidate.

I like Wilson's approach in filling out this first class. The team has enough talent to win already, and now he's getting some local kids which should help with attracting some more fans to games.

Reactions: StoopsBros
Keeping local talent is important, keeping the Texas pipeline is a must, and rebuilding the amazing Lousiana pipeline we had needs to be on the bucket list. Hoping to add in the north pipeline now as well.

Reactions: 918Golden
Keeping local talent is important, keeping the Texas pipeline is a must, and rebuilding the amazing Lousiana pipeline we had needs to be on the bucket list. Hoping to add in the north pipeline now as well.
No doubt and I know there were 2-3 staff members in Texas yesterday recruiting. From a tweet I saw they hit the Waco area high schools and I know they've been down around Houston as several offers went out to kids in those places yesterday.

I honestly think the previous staff stopped recruiting with effort around October...I think Monty knew that barring a miracle run to finish the season, none of the players would be playing for him next season. I think Wilson and his staff are trying to keep committed players committed as well as filling in gaps meaning a lot of offers to kids who might be marginal FBS players but have potential and are being projected as being able to be part of a rotation after a year of FBS coaching and S&C.

A little insight on Crooks for everyone. His other D1 offers include Air Force and Ohio. Our QB committed to New Mexico St., so I would expect that they may offer Cam as well. I know a lot of people in his life are pulling for a commitment to our offer as they really want to see one of these guys play in-state. I tried to keep CHS active in keeping the boys who fit the profile listening to the benefits TU holds for a "life after football."

Last edited:
A little insight on Crooks for everyone. His other D1 offers include Air Force and Ohio. Our QB committed to New Mexico, so I would expect that they may offer Cam as well. I know a lot of people in his life are pulling for a commitment to our offer as they really want to see one of these guys play in-state. I tried to keep CHS active in keeping the boys who fit the profile listening to the benefits TU holds for a "life after football."
You mean New Mexico St?

Reactions: OKTornadoes

Okoye is a big-time national prospect obviously. I'm really loving this staff's OK approach. Great thus far!
It's apparent that TU is leaving no stone unturned. Obviously they understand there is talent everywhere in OK not just in 6A. They understand and can sell the story of Zaven Collins and going from small HS program to NFL 1st rounder.

My only concern with the NOAH kids is academic qualifying because so many of the core courses required by the NCAA aren't taught with that type of structure in the homeschool setting unless they're using a prescribed curriculum (like EPIC). There are way more hoops to jump through to get those things ironed out.

Devon Jordan (DB - Union) picked up an offer from Iowa State today.

Damien Marshall (DB/S - Union) was at Arkansas today along with (I believe) Jino Boyd (WR - Union).

Reactions: 918Golden
It's apparent that TU is leaving no stone unturned. Obviously they understand there is talent everywhere in OK not just in 6A. They understand and can sell the story of Zaven Collins and going from small HS program to NFL 1st rounder.

My only concern with the NOAH kids is academic qualifying because so many of the core courses required by the NCAA aren't taught with that type of structure in the homeschool setting unless they're using a prescribed curriculum (like EPIC). There are way more hoops to jump through to get those things ironed out.
My kids had several NOAH friends. They all did well academically & most all have college degrees and have good careers today (Engineers, various business and finance, medical, etc.) I am sure there’s some bad stories, but there’s a lot of good stories as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henry Kendall
My kids had several NOAH friends. They all did well academically & most all have college degrees and have good careers today (Engineers, various business and finance, medical, etc.) I am sure there’s some bad stories, but there’s a lot of good stories as well.
OK, so admittedly the bulk of my interactions with homeschooled kids came while working at ORU. A lot of these kids lacked any type of social awareness of how they impacted others around them. Then again, a lot of kids go to ORU not of their choosing but of their parents choosing so they have been kept in a social bubble of people just like them. There was a very narrow world view about them.

I have also had personal interactions with kids who were homeschooled. A few of them were as described above. My son played soccer for a few years with a kid who was homeschooled and he plays for NOAH. Good kid, good family. I would say he would not fall into the category above but I don't believe the home schooling was used as a shelter from what the real world is. Not sure why they chose to homeschool but the kids were very involved in other activities. I know this kid both played soccer and refereed and was generally outgoing.

Haisten is flat out a Co$k sucker. What a chicken:crap: article he wrote this morning. Frankly, when I saw the guy at Konkol's introductory presser I thought he was a bum. Can't believe they've kept him on.

Maybe Haisten will write something positive now. Then again, he'll probably just take another dig at TU for not recruiting Mason Fine even though that was a different coaching staff and like 7 years ago...but let's keeping taking sigs at TU
How much you wanna bet that gets mentioned in the commitment piece he does in derisive joy.

Haisten is flat out a Co$k sucker. What a chicken:crap: article he wrote this morning. Frankly, when I saw the guy at Konkol's introductory presser I thought he was a bum. Can't believe they've kept him on.
He did look pretty bad at the intro. I wouldn't even leave the house looking like that, and I don't have a public persona to worry about.

Reactions: dougheffking
How much you wanna bet that gets mentioned in the commitment piece he does in derisive joy.
Not taking that bet. You'd have to bet more than you would make, like 1:3 odds or something like that because it's a virtual certainty he will mention it.

Maybe Haisten will write something positive now. Then again, he'll probably just take another dig at TU for not recruiting Mason Fine even though that was a different coaching staff and like 7 years ago...but let's keeping taking sigs at TU

And also it was fine to not offer Mason Fine. He was pretty good at North Texas, but the failure of our coaching staff was in not bringing in a decent QB otherwise, not the decision not to offer him.

Just what we need, another receiver. I'm not making a direct complaint against Crooks. I'm making the complaint against the fact that we have signed a s**t ton of receivers. That position will be culled heavily, to make up for the over signed commits.
You may be surprised that some signees and players on the team end up playing different positions when everything is said and done. Speed players with a frame that can handle added weight can become a Chris Chamberlain. In small schools players play position out of necessity not where they may fit best in college.

Francis signing is huge! Watching his highlights, the guy has incredible arm talent. Most of his highlights were throwing off his back foot but putting right on the money 40 yards downfield. If he can that footwork down he will be big time.

You may be surprised that some signees and players on the team end up playing different positions when everything is said and done. Speed players with a frame that can handle added weight can become a Chris Chamberlain. In small schools players play position out of necessity not where they may fit best in college.
Yeah I figure that will happen some. You can look at some recruits and see that even now. But there will still be some culling, because we have overrecruited several players passed 85. Give or take, we're 5 over right now.

Just in the past month we've probably added 2-3k more fans per game with all the local kids now coming to TU.
Between local kids and OU fans wanting to support Wilson, I’m hoping we see a decent uptick in attendance again this year (we were up 35% last year over the previous season).

Between local kids and OU fans wanting to support Wilson, I’m hoping we see a decent uptick in attendance again this year (we were up 35% last year over the previous season).
I don’t see OU fans going to games just to support Wilson. Watching on tv sure. Not sure why any would start showing up. More local friends and family is gonna help a lot more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT