ADVERTISEMENT

Local HS Basketball

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Just watched Union vs Jenks. There are a couple of TU connections with this game. 1st is Shea Seals is an assistant coach at Union now. The 2nd is Chris Dodder, former TU goalkeeper, has a son that plays for Jenks. Unfortunately, the kid didn't inherit Chris' size. He played a lot.

This was actually a pretty bad basketball game. Not sure there is a D1 prospect on either team and that's saying something because Union has a 7-footer. Jenks' tallest player was about 6'5" and it was comical watching him trying to defend him. Eric Madrid is the 7' kid and he weighs about 350. He's not the typical scrawny waif most 7-footers seem to be. He doesn't move well and he doesn't really jump.

Union won 65-64 in double OT. It was really a poorly played game overall.

Reactions: TU 1978
Just watched Union vs Jenks. There are a couple of TU connections with this game. 1st is Shea Seals is an assistant coach at Union now. The 2nd is Chris Dodder, former TU goalkeeper, has a son that plays for Jenks. Unfortunately, the kid didn't inherit Chris' size. He played a lot.

This was actually a pretty bad basketball game. Not sure there is a D1 prospect on either team and that's saying something because Union has a 7-footer. Jenks' tallest player was about 6'5" and it was comical watching him trying to defend him. Eric Madrid is the 7' kid and he weighs about 350. He's not the typical scrawny waif most 7-footers seem to be. He doesn't move well and he doesn't really jump.

Union won 65-64 in double OT. It was really a poorly played game overall.
Interesting to hear Shea is an assistant there. Wonder why he couldn't pull a head coaching job in HS. He was fairly accomplished as a HC when he was coaching in HS before. Huh.

I’d heard Jenks is pretty bad this year. I think that Averitt kid must’ve graduated last year bc he was pretty damn good.

I’d heard Jenks is pretty bad this year. I think that Averitt kid must’ve graduated last year bc he was pretty damn good.
He didn't play that I saw. Their best player (PG, #2) went down right at the end of the 1st half. He was trying to box out the 7 footer and just bounced off of him and rolled his ankle pretty badly. He couldn't put any weight on it at all.

BTW, this game was the poster child for why HS basketball needs a shot clock, even if you make it a long one like 45 seconds. Union went into stall mode about 4 minutes left up 4 or so. Jenks didn't want to foul because the one thing Union did well last night was shoot FTs. The end of the game was barely watchable.

On the flip side, the Jenks' girls have a 5'10" junior guard who can flat out score from anywhere. I don't know if she's quick enough to play D1 basketball but watching her play reminded me of Carl English and how fluid he was on the offensive end. She scored 30 last night and had half of Jenks' points but it wasn't because she was forcing things and shooting every time she touched it.

Weird thing was all 4 teams last night were really young. Union boys had 2 seniors, neither played a ton. Jenks had 2, Dodder's kid played a bunch but the other looked like he just walked in from the football weight room and played sparingly. The 2 girls teams only had 2 seniors each and neither set played a ton. They all may be struggling this year but I expect all 4 to contend for state next year (Union boys were hurt by a couple transfers out, Trent Pierce went to one of the sport factory academies. If he had stayed at Union they would have been the prohibitive favorite in 6A this year.

Union has a 2026 kid too that might be worth watching. 6'7". Plays as a post but you can tell he's got a great basketball IQ, has great feet on the defensive end, and is a good rebounder. He's got some nice post presence with his back to the basket. If he grows 2-3 more inches he could be a possible 5 in college.

Reactions: StoopsBros
I saw highlights of the Owasso Montonati kid on Fox23 this morning. 6-7 freshman. He looked really good.

Interesting to hear Shea is an assistant there. Wonder why he couldn't pull a head coaching job in HS. He was fairly accomplished as a HC when he was coaching in HS before. Huh.
Maybe he is serving as a lay coach. My last understanding was that he is working as a rep for Josten’s (rings, grad announcements, awards, etc.). That would certainly pay well above being a teacher and coach in any state, especially Oklahoma.

Maybe he is serving as a lay coach. My last understanding was that he is working as a rep for Josten’s (rings, grad announcements, awards, etc.). That would certainly pay well above being a teacher and coach in any state, especially Oklahoma.
He may be getting paid a little to be a part time coach. Union has several coaches in all sports who are not teachers or full time employees of the district...they just coach. This would certainly be a way for Shea to keep his name in the hunt for a HS locally who needs a head coach.
I saw highlights of the Owasso Montonati kid on Fox23 this morning. 6-7 freshman. He looked really good.
He's already got several offers. I believe TU and OSU are 2 of them. I'd expect OSU to be the front runners but that might change if Boynton gets the boot before he gets there. I think Boynton is the equivalent of Wojcik here. Decent coach but is never going to be that next level coach. He will make the tournament a couple of times as a benefit of being in the Big XII which is regarded as the best conference in college basketball right now despite what some B1G and ACC pundits will have you believe. Or the Big East if you listen to UCONN idiots (I've watched way too many Big East games this season and I'm pretty sure it's a conference of mediocrity from top to bottom).

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
He may be getting paid a little to be a part time coach. Union has several coaches in all sports who are not teachers or full time employees of the district...they just coach. This would certainly be a way for Shea to keep his name in the hunt for a HS locally who needs a head coach.

He's already got several offers. I believe TU and OSU are 2 of them. I'd expect OSU to be the front runners but that might change if Boynton gets the boot before he gets there. I think Boynton is the equivalent of Wojcik here. Decent coach but is never going to be that next level coach. He will make the tournament a couple of times as a benefit of being in the Big XII which is regarded as the best conference in college basketball right now despite what some B1G and ACC pundits will have you believe. Or the Big East if you listen to UCONN idiots (I've watched way too many Big East games this season and I'm pretty sure it's a conference of mediocrity from top to bottom).
That's generally how most schools handle lay coaches; really paying guys/volunteers just enough cash to cover their expenses. It's a great way for Shea to stay in the game and an awesome opportunity for those kids.

The assessment of Boynton is correct with the exception of he seems to be a very likeable guy that isn't a douche with the fan base or media.

UCONN is still UCan't and Hurley is from the same D-Bag mold as Wojick. I wish them nothing but the worst...

Boynton does everything right…..except coach :)
He was always known as a great recruiter, though associated with others who used with questionable tactics. He fell into the job when the head coach left after one year. I think he will be like Steve Robinson and end up as a recruiter for a Final Four team since his head coaching skills are missing. His only hope is to recruit a top 5 recruiting class at OSU and roll the ball out.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
He was always known as a great recruiter, though associated with others who used with questionable tactics. He fell into the job when the head coach left after one year. I think he will be like Steve Robinson and end up as a recruiter for a Final Four team since his head coaching skills are missing. His only hope is to recruit a top 5 recruiting class at OSU and roll the ball out.

He's going to need a bigger bag of money to do that. Don't think a shady car dealer with loose lips is going to be able to fund that type of venture.

Around 2005 they were paying them approx. $1000. I believe that's for the entire season.

He didn't play that I saw. Their best player (PG, #2) went down right at the end of the 1st half. He was trying to box out the 7 footer and just bounced off of him and rolled his ankle pretty badly. He couldn't put any weight on it at all.

BTW, this game was the poster child for why HS basketball needs a shot clock, even if you make it a long one like 45 seconds. Union went into stall mode about 4 minutes left up 4 or so. Jenks didn't want to foul because the one thing Union did well last night was shoot FTs. The end of the game was barely watchable.

On the flip side, the Jenks' girls have a 5'10" junior guard who can flat out score from anywhere. I don't know if she's quick enough to play D1 basketball but watching her play reminded me of Carl English and how fluid he was on the offensive end. She scored 30 last night and had half of Jenks' points but it wasn't because she was forcing things and shooting every time she touched it.

Weird thing was all 4 teams last night were really young. Union boys had 2 seniors, neither played a ton. Jenks had 2, Dodder's kid played a bunch but the other looked like he just walked in from the football weight room and played sparingly. The 2 girls teams only had 2 seniors each and neither set played a ton. They all may be struggling this year but I expect all 4 to contend for state next year (Union boys were hurt by a couple transfers out, Trent Pierce went to one of the sport factory academies. If he had stayed at Union they would have been the prohibitive favorite in 6A this year.

Union has a 2026 kid too that might be worth watching. 6'7". Plays as a post but you can tell he's got a great basketball IQ, has great feet on the defensive end, and is a good rebounder. He's got some nice post presence with his back to the basket. If he grows 2-3 more inches he could be a possible 5 in college.
I assume you're talking about this girl from Jenks.

----

Union frosh

-------

also plays at Union

Last edited:
I assume you're talking about this girl from Jenks.

----

Union frosh

-------

also plays at Union

Twiehaus is the one. She was just so good offensively. Very fluid. Reminded me a little of Greg Harrington in the way her movement seems to be so effortless.

The #22 kid for Union has a lot of baby fat on him but he's pretty versatile offensively. I think he needs to also get into the weight room and spend a lot of time on conditioning. He's got a nice outside shoot, decent FT shooter, pretty good rebounder. You can tell he is still learning how to play the game at a higher level but I think he has a high ceiling, especially if he grows another couple inches. He would need to learn to play with his back to the basket some.

As for Dixon, I really like his game. He's only a sophomore and he started last year for Union as well. Is about 6'2", can really jump, is really active on the defensive end, good outside shot from the games I've seen him play, but he can get to the rim whenever he wants. He's quick.

I think it’s Wendell (there are two brothers my youngest went to school with) Mann. He is undersized but, really, really good on that Owasso team.
Kyler was the other Mann brother. He’s now at a community college in Kansas.

BTW @ Union tonight. Watching the girls game first. BTW has another Mayberry. She is not featured but she plays a lot. The BTW PG is lightning fast and they have a 3 (Johnson) who is just a really good player. BTW plays that 40 minutes of bell style. Press most of the time, tight man once the ball crosses mid court. BTW has about 15 steaks in the 1st quarter and a half. Just a solid basketball team and they are really making you notice how unathletic the Union girls team is in comparison. 30-8 BTW with 3 minutes left in the 1st half

BTW girls win 55-42. Union boys beat BTW in OT. BTW's tallest player was 6'3. They had no answers for Eric Madrid or Myles Flemmons. So if Madrid is to play college ball, he needs to learn how catch an entry pass. Union tried to get the ball to him a lot and there were a number of passes he mishandled and turned over. Coaches wanted him to catch the ball with 2 hands and he kept trying to OBJ it and palm the catch. He still scored 16 pts, about 8 rebounds and blocked 4 shots. Flemmons is the player to watch though. 6'6, can handle the ball, can shoot from outside, and can play facing or with his back to the basket. He's a FR so a lot of time to develop, condition, and add strength as well as find some coordination in tight spaces.

Cedric Dixon is a player.

BTW had a Harris in their team. Good player. They also had a kid named Lathan Boone. I wondered if he was any relation to the Boone twins. He is not the same lanky inside player the are. If you looked at BTW, they are a team full of guards, like every player is a guard. They can all handle the ball, shoot and take it to the rim. But they will struggle against teams with size AND good ball handlers. They full court press a ton and use their athleticism against bigger teams. They really ran a lot. Union did a really good job of adjusting at half time and figured out a way to break the pressure and then put BTW in scramble mode on defense.

Union vs Owasso tonight. Eric Madrid has shown better hands tonight. Probably had 14 pts a bunch of rebounds and 4-5 blocks that I've counted so far.

Owasso is basically Montonati's kid and 4 other kids they put in the floor. Montonati has about 28 pts through 3Q. Lots of 3s. He hasn't really tried to go inside because of Madrid's presence. If Owasso had an avg player instead of Montonati, they'd be terrible. He has more than half their pts right now. And it's clear why there is a lot of hype around him even as a freshman.

Union vs Owasso tonight. Eric Madrid has shown better hands tonight. Probably had 14 pts a bunch of rebounds and 4-5 blocks that I've counted so far.

Owasso is basically Montonati's kid and 4 other kids they put in the floor. Montonati has about 28 pts through 3Q. Lots of 3s. He hasn't really tried to go inside because of Madrid's presence. If Owasso had an avg player instead of Montonati, they'd be terrible. He has more than half their pts right now. And it's clear why there is a lot of hype around him even as a freshman.
Montonati’s already been offered by several D1 programs. That doesn’t happen often to a freshman playing in Oklahoma.

Here’s a good trivia question for you: Did you know that in 2013 Owasso basketball started 3 future Tulsa football players.

Montonati’s already been offered by several D1 programs. That doesn’t happen often to a freshman playing in Oklahoma.
He's a tremendous player. Owasso would not be any good at all without him though. There's not much else on that team TBH, at least that showed me anything at all last night.

Right now he plays as a 4 who can face the basket. I suspect he'll probably grow 2-3 more inches and he will need to learn how to play with his back to the basket. He's got a great outside shot, smooth and fluid and he can also create his own shot. Owasso isolated him a lot and when it looked like he was trying to get to the rim, Union brought doubles and triples which allowed Montonati to show off his passing skills. He sees the floor well. He plays like you would see a kid in youth basketball who knows he is the best player on the floor by a wide margin and dares the other team to stop him.

I’m glad to see threads on local high school basketball. That has been lacking for a long time. Konkol and staff are scattered among several local games each week. Never seen that involvement locally in a long time.

I’m glad to see threads on local high school basketball. That has been lacking for a long time. Konkol and staff are scattered among several local games each week. Never seen that involvement locally in a long time.
I didn't even think to look for TU coaches at the game last night.

That’s good news. Back when I had a HS player, Coach Manning would show up about once every blue moon appearing bored to death.

In other HS basketball news, Weatherford beat Anadarko 4-2 last evening prompting fans and coaches from across the state to call for a shot clock in HS basketball for next season. If one is instituted, the advisement of NFHS is for a 35 second clock. I'm all for it. Even in 6A games I've seen at least 4-5 2 minute possessions with no shot taken the last couple weeks. Jenks had one trying to run the clock out against Union, Union then had one trying to see out a 4 pt lead vs Jenks later the same game, and it backfired. Union had at least 1 vs BTW and BTW had at least a minute and a half possession against Union. Owasso had a couple 1 min + possessions last night...I think more trying to find Montonati a shot (they were behind at the time) than trying to milk the clock but still...it makes for some ridiculously boring basketball for the viewers. And the kids don't want to play that way.

Apparently Anadarko ran 4 corners from the beginning tip and Weatherford sat back in a deep 2-3 zone. If I was a parent of a player in that game...I'd be pissed off. Honestly winning a game that way is awful and it does nothing to develop the players in their basketball skill.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
I don't recall but maybe 1 or 2 times he posted up and one of those Eric Madrid made him eat the ball. W/o him I don't think Owasso comes close to winning as I didn't see anything from the other players they ran out there. Montonati is absolutely a special player. He needs to out some weight on though as after I pointed him out and who he was to my wife, she said "the scrawny kid?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT