ADVERTISEMENT

Last Season

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
Felt a lot like the 2009 Todd Graham season in terms of having a team with a lot of talent that wasn't quite ready to make it over the hump.

Just like 2009 we suffered some heartbreaking, gut-busting defeats (09: Houston, BSU, UTEP, SMU) (2019: Memphis, SMU, Cincy, Tulane) but the team showed a lot of promise on both sides of the ball. We had an adapting transfer QB who we had trouble protecting in the pocket (Kinne then Smith now). Hopefully, 2020 can in some way mimic 2010.

Felt a lot like the 2009 Todd Graham season in terms of having a team with a lot of talent that wasn't quite ready to make it over the hump.

Just like 2009 we suffered some heartbreaking, gut-busting defeats (09: Houston, BSU, UTEP, SMU) (2019: Memphis, SMU, Cincy, Tulane) but the team showed a lot of promise on both sides of the ball. We had an adapting transfer QB who we had trouble protecting in the pocket (Kinne then Smith now). Hopefully, 2020 can in some way mimic 2010.
The only difference is we just lost our 2 best defensive players and then lost a couple of solid contributors. I’m gonna be impressed if we win more than 4 games next year

The only difference is we just lost our 2 best defensive players and then lost a couple of solid contributors. I’m gonna be impressed if we win more than 4 games next year

I do like the fact that we return guys like Zaven Collins, Allie Green, Jaxon Player, Kendarin Ray, Yohance Burnett, Devin Lamp, Bryson Powers and Cullen Wick. That's a good core for a quality defense. There are definitely some holes that we need to plug though. I'm curious to see if we get the LB / S transfer from A&M (Brian Johnson) to be eligible immediately since he Redshirted last season (only played in 4 games)

I think the offense takes a step forward next season though, especially if we can sure up the OL.

Last edited:
I do like the fact that we return guys like Zaven Collins, Allie Green, Jaxon Player, Kendarin Ray, Yohance Burnett, Devin Lamp, Bryson Powers and Cullen Wick. That's a good core for a quality defense. There are definitely some holes that we need to plug though. I'm curious to see if we get the LB / S transfer from A&M (Brian Johnson) to be eligible immediately since he Redshirted last season (only played in 4 games)

I think the offense takes a step forward next season though, especially if we can sure up the OL.
I've said it a few ties...the defense had some quality depth. Outside of the 3 LBs and a couple of DBs we were on straight rotation between series on DL and the other DBs. The DL seemed to run a 3 shift rotation. There's enough depth and experience there and I think we added a couple of pieces who can contribute right away. Our offense should be stacked. I even think towards the end of the year the OL started improving once they plugged Smith in at T. I'm also hoping Zach Hanson brings some of the OU mentality to the line. With the new coach I am hoping he starts brand new and plugs guys in based on the best 5 instead of the "play the upperclassmen first unless they absolutely can't get it done" mentality we seemed to be saddled with for the last 2-3 years.

There is a hidden gem on the OLine from Western Pa that given the chance is gonna explode. Tough Steel City kid who puts guys in the dirt..........

Reactions: astonmartin708
There is a hidden gem on the OLine from Western Pa that given the chance is gonna explode. Tough Steel City kid who puts guys in the dirt..........
Serapiglia, did he join the team last year, or is he just now joining the team? If so, where did he redshirt?

Serapiglia, did he join the team last year, or is he just now joining the team? If so, where did he redshirt?
I was looking on the roster yesterday and saw him and was trying to figure out when he came to TU. Just measurables, he fits the profile. If he has the same attitude as those other PA kids we used to have on the OL back in the day (Jerry O, Gus and Lou Spanos), then he needs to be given a shot to see what he can do. There's a ton of room for improvement on the OL and has been for 2-3 years. Anyone on campus with a number between 51 and 79 should be given a chance to show what they can do.

I was looking on the roster yesterday and saw him and was trying to figure out when he came to TU. Just measurables, he fits the profile. If he has the same attitude as those other PA kids we used to have on the OL back in the day (Jerry O, Gus and Lou Spanos), then he needs to be given a shot to see what he can do. There's a ton of room for improvement on the OL and has been for 2-3 years. Anyone on campus with a number between 51 and 79 should be given a chance to show what they can do.
I looked into him. He committed last year and redshirted for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT