ADVERTISEMENT

Konkol gets a pass, but…

We were improving for a while. Then we went sideways. Then we lost Pritchard.
And now he's lost the momentum, and will find it hard to get back. I don't expect to see much better than this for the rest of the season. The team will find it really hard not to pack it in after these last couple of games.

Reactions: drboobay
No Pritchard and we will not win another game. If he comes back soon we might have a chance at 1 or 2.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
After we beat Tulane, I thought there was a glimmer of hope of salvaging something of the season. But for most of the last four games the team looks like pantomime horses.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I tried to, it took 23 games or so for me to snap. The lack of defense and rebounding is astounding and that is coaching whether you want to admit it or not. In that Wichita State game on Sunday, there were times when there were 3 shockers crashing the boards and not a TU player in sight.
Yawn. I know for a fact we are only keeping a small hand full of these players. The coaches know this is a year we won’t win much, so you install your system and see who fits it, and whoever doesn’t? Then bye. Go snap somewhere else

Konkol deserves some criticism. The effort and intensity in some of these games is lacking. We still look lost defensively at times. I understand he was dealt a short hand but it’s February. I expected better by this point. This team is historically bad.

If Pritchard caught covid, then we'll probably get him back sometime in the next 3 games. He should be back for USF, give or take a game.

Isn’t there an old saying that a good coach can take his and beat yours, then turn around and take yours and beat his. I don’t think that’s the case here.
I think an idea floating around here is that he is not really coaching to maximize wins based on the mix of talent but rather to install his system and see who will fit into it.

That is ok year one I guess. We shall see.

Reactions: dougheffking
I think an idea floating around here is that he is not really coaching to maximize wins based on the mix of talent but rather to install his system and see who will fit into it.

Either way, we do need to fix football first. The Olympic sports can wait.

And speaking of Olympic sports, how dull would basketball be if it were still limited to amateurs.

And how many more years would LeBron have to chase Jabbar had Kareem been allowed to go straight to the NBA.

College basketball isn’t what it used to be.

I think he was trying to maximize wins in non con. When the freshman showed they were ready to be thrown into the fire and he realized maximizing wins wasn't going to get him a good season, he started switching priorities.(Those two things occurred at about the same time.)

With this low of a talent level, that would be my main concern. 4 or 5 more wins doesn't help prepare for next season as well. I personally don't see much difference between 4-7 and 1-11, if it helps him prepare for next season by weeding out those who should go.

I think he was trying to maximize wins in non con. When the freshman showed they were ready to be thrown into the fire and he realized maximizing wins wasn't going to get him a good season, he started switching priorities.(Those two things occurred at about the same time.)

With this low of a talent level, that would be my main concern. 4 or 5 more wins doesn't help prepare for next season as well. I personally don't see much difference between 4-7 and 1-11, if it helps him prepare for next season by weeding out those who should go.
Amen. Next year we will see players who fit what he’s trying to do.

I’m so tired of all the excuses and the “we’ll get ‘um next year” mentality. Konkol took over and we got worse…period, end of story. Bottom line is that we are stuck with him for the time being and have nowhere to go but (hopefully) up.

Reactions: mcane and t-townpod
Understand the difficulty recruiting to TU and maybe it is unsolvable problem and have to get lucky like ORU did with Abmas. However, Konkol ability will be telling this spring.
Friendrickson is available down the street. Then you get to the Oklahoma 2024 class. If he can not entice a couple of those studs we have real problems. Doesn't appear he has even offered Forsythe. Have 2 other studs Edmond North, and Bartlesville top 100 in the country..

Reactions: mcane
I’m so tired of all the excuses and the “we’ll get ‘um next year” mentality. Konkol took over and we got worse…period, end of story. Bottom line is that we are stuck with him for the time being and have nowhere to go but (hopefully) up.
This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Sampson won 11 games his first year with Houston. When you are rebuilding an absolute disaster and trying to change the entire culture you don’t automatically get better. Stick to something other than basketball k thx

Understand the difficulty recruiting to TU and maybe it is unsolvable problem and have to get lucky like ORU did with Abmas. However, Konkol ability will be telling this spring.
Friendrickson is available down the street. Then you get to the Oklahoma 2024 class. If he can not entice a couple of those studs we have real problems. Doesn't appear he has even offered Forsythe. Have 2 other studs Edmond North, and Bartlesville top 100 in the country..
Parker Friedrichsen........Get the name right....Konkol and Staff are prominently seen at every one of his games they can attend. I've never seen a TU staff recruit a player so heavily , ever.... So if he leaves again for ctt's old choice Forbes for replacing Haith 2 years ago, it is not Konkol's fault. It may be lack of NIL but don't put this on Konkol. This may be the reason for the big NIL announcement today????

LOL. Just stop. Next year will be much better. Stop ignoring how bad Frank left it. Wojciks team was
There are only about 30 teams in d1 worse than us. Hard to get them all on the schedule.
THAT is Konkol’s fault. You can easily bring in 5 players that would make you better than 25% of the NCAA during any given off-season, especially with the portal.

THAT is Konkol’s fault. You can easily bring in 5 players that would make you better than 25% of the NCAA during any given off-season, especially with the portal.
You should ask Konkol privately how many kids he has lost only because of NIL already. Don’t put his answer on here.

You should ask Konkol privately how many kids he has lost only because of NIL already. Don’t put his answer on here.
I find it humorous that some act like Konkol could snap his fingers and somehow some undiscovered ballers just appeared and immediately want to come play for a program with a new coach, coming off a 10 win season, with no NIL options to entice.

Kind of reminds me of the South Park episode with the under pants gnomes. We’re missing a step in the middle here that some are forgetting:

200w.gif

I find it humorous that some act like Konkol could snap his fingers and somehow some undiscovered ballers just appeared and immediately want to come play for a program with a new coach, coming off a 10 win season, with no NIL options to entice.

Kind of reminds me of the South Park episode with the under pants gnomes. We’re missing a step in the middle here that some are forgetting:

200w.gif
He couldn’t even lure any of his La Tech players (and I’m not even talking about the one that went to the NBA)

There were hundreds of transfer player last season, and they didn’t all transfer to NIL schools. NIL might be the reason we wouldn’t be too 100 RPI, but it’s not a reason for being bottom 100.

He couldn’t even lure any of his La Tech players (and I’m not even talking about the one that went to the NBA)

There were hundreds of transfer player last season, and they didn’t all transfer to NIL schools.
LOL he lured his freshman recruits to come with him.

It's a :crap:bag move in the coaching profession to leave a job and gut the roster to take it with you. Ever heard of Tubby Smith? He preached this to the TU players when he left.

As I said before, save your criticism for next season.

Also, the PROPER way to build a program from the ground up is still the high school route. He will obviously hit the portal hard this offseason as well, but building a team completely of transfers isn't a recipe for success for most.

LOL he lured his freshman recruits to come with him.

It's a :crap:bag move in the coaching profession to leave a job and gut the roster to take it with you. Ever heard of Tubby Smith? He preached this to the TU players when he left.

As I said before, save your criticism for next season.

Also, the PROPER way to build a program from the ground up is still the high school route. He will obviously hit the portal hard this offseason as well, but building a team completely of transfers isn't a recipe for success for most.
The proper way to build a program is whatever you can do (within the rules) to build a program that wins basketball games.

and winning at TU isn't built on transfers. Yea I trust him more than you here.
Someday the realities of the paradigm shift that has occurred in the NCAA landscape will hit you. I would think a 5 win season might have spurred that… but maybe you just need to be beat over the head lol.

200w.gif
And that is why so many of us are depressed. However, a bunch of other coaches are riding diamonds under recruited. Certainly good to give him a year to get started. This spring and summer will tell a bunch.

Reactions: mcane and Gmoney4WW
And that is why so many of us are depressed. However, a bunch of other coaches are riding diamonds under recruited. Certainly good to give him a year to get started. This spring and summer will tell a bunch.
He's riding with Selebangue at the moment. Pretty soon he'll be riding with Selabangue, Williams, Hall, and ?. I don't think people realize/admit how much better we would be with Hall, Williams, & Reed in place of Urbancik & KES, if they were able to play for us this season. And he isn't but halfway done with recruiting. All the depressed people see right now is how bad we lost to Houston. They can't see the forest for the trees. You guys are living in the moment. The moment sucks for TU.

He's riding with Selebangue at the moment. Pretty soon he'll be riding with Selabangue, Williams, Hall, and ?. I don't think people realize/admit how much better we would be with Hall, Williams, & Reed in place of Urbancik & KES, if they were able to play for us this season. And he isn't but halfway done with recruiting. All the depressed people see right now is how bad we lost to Houston. They can't see the forest for the trees. You guys are living in the moment. The moment sucks for TU.
And these freshmen with better players around them and a year of experience, will be so much better than they are now. If Konkol hits a homerun with 1 or 2 recruits in the spring, and does alright with the other 1 or 2 recruits, we will be fine.

And these freshmen with better players around them and a year of experience, will be so much better than they are now. If Konkol hits a homerun with 1 or 2 recruits in the spring, and does alright with the other 1 or 2 recruits, we will be fine.
Hope so!

PREACH.

I mean some of these guys Konkol is having to play? Woof.

Yawn. I know for a fact we are only keeping a small hand full of these players. The coaches know this is a year we won’t win much, so you install your system and see who fits it, and whoever doesn’t? Then bye. Go snap somewhere else
You snap somewhere else. I'm pretty damn sure I'm closer to this program than you are so zip it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT