ADVERTISEMENT

Konkol gets a pass, but…

TUFan1981

I.T.S. Junior
Apr 27, 2006
I just can’t imagine a Tulsa team ever being worse than this. Konkol is the captain of this ship, he was supposed to breathe new life into the program, but this season is sucking all the life out of TU basketball. I know he gets at least one more year if not 2, but I’m losing faith in him fast.

Reactions: Oak775
I just can’t imagine a Tulsa team ever being worse than this. Konkol is the captain of this ship, he was supposed to breathe new life into the program, but this season is sucking all the life out of TU basketball. I know he gets at least one more year if not 2, but I’m losing faith in him fast.
This is ugly.
I thought we would be competitive in most games and might get lucky and finish at or above .500.
There are a lot of reasons why we are what we are but, this is pretty much worst case scenario for Konkol and far from my worse case scenario.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Worst team we’ve had in quite some time getting blown out playing at the #2 team in the county… this isn’t exactly surprising. Anyone with a brain knew it would be something like this tonight.

You’re right, konkol is the captain of this ship and ultimately the buck stops with him… BUT he’s essentially been given a toothpick and been told to go spear fishing… then folks here are bent out of shape when he doesn’t bring in two blue fin tuna, six red snappers, 25 groupers, and a got damn great white shark… when he has the tools to catch a little bony ass perch at best.

You’re all welcome for the fish analogy. 🐠 🐟 🎣

Wojcik’s first team was better than this. And we had nothing on that team. Our big freshmen were Ray Reese and Sam Mitchell. That team gave Memphis a game.

It’s not Konkol’s fault, but jeez, how do we field the worst team in a generation and feel like this is progress? I love this team more than any other, but I almost feel like everyone is better off if we quit caring. This is going to take a long time.

Everybody expects it, but uses the game going exactly as expected, to ream on Konkol more.

You are so predictable. Every game, same story.

By the end of season you will have pitchforks and torches.

Can’t bring myself to stop caring. It’s bigly frustrating to watch for sure. I hate that my alma mater is the laughing stock of the league and is sitting squarely in the dregs on d1 basketball society… but there’s no way I can stop caring.

Wojcik’s first team was better than this. And we had nothing on that team. Our big freshmen were Ray Reese and Sam Mitchell. That team gave Memphis a game.

It’s not Konkol’s fault, but jeez, how do we field the worst team in a generation and feel like this is progress? I love this team more than any other, but I almost feel like everyone is better off if we quit caring. This is going to take a long time.
I don't care this season. It won't get any better until we have new players. I'll care next season, and during recruiting.

We were in Cusa and he scheduled for 20 wins a lot

Reactions: drboobay
I know I’m a broken record but we need a bunch of new players. Some may develop but not sure we have the luxury of that

I don’t think anyone is arguing that this team isn’t awful. This is definitely the worst I’ve seen (although there are a couple of year’s teams that might give this team a run for their money as to who is the worst).

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

LOL. Just stop. Next year will be much better. Stop ignoring how bad Frank left it. Wojciks team was

Reactions: t-townpod
Yes they would. And you can thank Frank for that, not Konkol.
I don’t want to be overly critical, but can I ask you what exactly has Konkol done this season to inspire confidence? I’m not asking for 20 wins, heck, I’m not asking for 12 wins, I just want to see a team that gets progressively better, not worse with every game. I’m not saying fire the guy, I’m just saying that this is the worst start to his TU career that could have ever been imagined.

I'm not upset by this, I am actually pleased. The reason I'm pleased is it shows me the value of Pritchard. I want to know who we should keep. And this tells me that one of those players is most emphatically Pritchard. We are a much weaker team without Pritchard.

I don’t want to be overly critical, but can I ask you what exactly has Konkol done this season to inspire confidence? I’m not asking for 20 wins, heck, I’m not asking for 12 wins, I just want to see a team that gets progressively better, not worse with every game. I’m not saying fire the guy, I’m just saying that this is the worst start to his TU career that could have ever been imagined.
I was typing my last post while you posted. The answer is found within that post.

There are only about 30 teams in d1 worse than us. Hard to get them all on the schedule.
Also idk how much control Konkol had over this years schedule… I think we may see something a little different next year.

I think it's fair to be concerned that we still haven't hit the bottom. I thought it was the home loss to Detroit, which dropped us to 191 in KenPom... But we're now 264 and will drop further if tonight's margin is larger than 27. Konkol gets a redshirt year, but I'm not sure he gets a pass. Part of coaching is getting talent on campus and part of coaching is maximizing the talent you have. Right now, we're getting neither.

I don’t believe in throwaway seasons. Talent or not, regressing throughout the season is pretty concerning. There’s not much to be encouraged by at the moment. Maybe occasional sparks from the freshmen if you squint hard

Reactions: ctt8410
No question this team is regressing. That concerns me with Konkle but my biggest concern is how bad our defense is. The worst I have ever seen in college basketball. Yes we lack talent but my goodness, surely we could teach better effort and teach a zone.

I think it's fair to be concerned that we still haven't hit the bottom. I thought it was the home loss to Detroit, which dropped us to 191 in KenPom... But we're now 264 and will drop further if tonight's margin is larger than 27. Konkol gets a redshirt year, but I'm not sure he gets a pass. Part of coaching is getting talent on campus and part of coaching is maximizing the talent you have. Right now, we're getting neither.
Best and most accurate post I’ve seen tonight.

The talent leftover is BAD BAD. Leave the criticism to next season

We have few talented players on this team, and you are seeing the results of losing one of those talents. This is not a regression. Freshmen not included, we only have three or four players worth keeping, and we are playing with one of those missing. When three or four goes down to two or three, and one of them is the point guard(quarterback)...

We were in Cusa and he scheduled for 20 wins a lot

That conference wasn’t bad that year. Memphis was great, UAB still had Anderson and murdered us, UTEP was good, and so on.

The talent leftover is BAD BAD. Leave the criticism to next season
I tried to, it took 23 games or so for me to snap. The lack of defense and rebounding is astounding and that is coaching whether you want to admit it or not. In that Wichita State game on Sunday, there were times when there were 3 shockers crashing the boards and not a TU player in sight.

We were improving for a while. Then we went sideways. Then we lost Pritchard.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT