ADVERTISEMENT

KJRH News:

I guess my problem isn’t as much that the ORU religious foundation are A*holes about how they expect their students and staff to behave. They’re A*holes about it and then they’re hypocritical by undermining same values and it happens every several years. People passing judgement who don’t deserve to be judges so to speak. This doesn’t have anything to do with the bball team to be fair.

Last edited:
I'd real happy if we kept our conversations about philosophical/political beliefs separated from everything but the crossfire boards. Exactly the reason that board was created.
True.. but in 2020/21... sports and politics are now one in the same... sports writers editorialize.. athletes pontificate and demonstrate.. coaches kow tow.. universities enable, capitalize and exploit while network tv profits..

Most people just want to watch the game because the rest of life sucks.. but now the suck has been brought into sports..

So this seems as good a place as any to talk about this subject.

Reactions: TU Man
I guess my problem isn’t as much that the ORU religious foundation are A*holes about how they expect their students and staff to behave. They’re A*holes about it and then they’re hypocritical by undermining same values and it happens every several years. People passing judgement who don’t deserve to be judged so to speak. This doesn’t have anything to do with the bball team to be fair.

I have zero desire to affiliate myself with ORU nor do I support many items in their “code of conduct”. However, their students are fully aware of the code when they enroll and accept the same as a condition of attending that university. If you don’t like it or don’t want to follow the same choose another school.

I acknowledge the hypocrisy and as you know I detest the same. However, I struggle to find any group these days where hypocrisy isn’t prevalent. Hell...see mask mandates for the latest. As a society, we seem to accept people telling us one thing yet doing another. That said, your point is well taken.

Reactions: TU Man
I have zero desire to affiliate myself with ORU nor do I support many items in their “code of conduct”. However, their students are fully aware of the code when they enroll and accept the same as a condition of attending that university. If you don’t like it or don’t want to follow the same choose another school.

I acknowledge the hypocrisy and as you know I detest the same. However, I struggle to find any group these days where hypocrisy isn’t prevalent. Hell...see mask mandates for the latest. As a society, we seem to accept people telling us one thing yet doing another. That said, your point is well taken.
I agree in part. The students do choose it, but it doesn't excuse the treatment from the administration. Kids choose the army, but it doesn't excuse some of the ways the army has (more so in the past) limited minorities, women, gays, etc...

I agree hypocrisy is prevalent everywhere, but at least most people aren't doing it with the cloak of false piety and religious righteousness draped around them, nor are they always doing it for their own monetary gain. The ones who are deserve to be chastised. (Both of those transgressions we've seen at ORU)

Reactions: jerandlaur
I agree in part. The students do choose it, but it doesn't excuse the treatment from the administration. Kids choose the army, but it doesn't excuse some of the ways the army has (more so in the past) limited minorities, women, gays, etc...

I agree hypocrisy is prevalent everywhere, but at least most people aren't doing it with the cloak of false piety and religious righteousness draped around them, nor are they always doing it for their own monetary gain. The ones who are deserve to be chastised. (Both of those transgressions we've seen at ORU)

Armed forces is different imo. Many young people who join do so out of limited options or at least perceived limited options. There are 1000 other colleges across the county from which to choose. If your not comfortable with the code then don’t go. I certainly didn’t.

There’s plenty of righteousness which permeates through our elected officials who are as hypercritical as any group out there...and yes, it is not only for monetary gain but something much worse....power.

Armed forces is different imo. Many young people who join do so out of limited options or at least perceived limited options. There are 1000 other colleges across the county from which to choose. If your not comfortable with the code then don’t go. I certainly didn’t.

There’s plenty of righteousness which permeates through our elected officials who are as hypercritical as any group out there...and yes, it is not only for monetary gain but something much worse....power.
You know I chastise elected officials plenty! lol... sometimes even both sides. I've got enough chastisement to go around.

A lot of (not all, but many) kids who choose to go to ORU don't do so BECAUSE of the honor code they do so IN SPITE of it or even without knowing it what it entails completely when they come in. They could pick another school, but they didn't. That doesn't mean that they should be held to a different standard than the leaders of the school. I think the ORU BOT began to figure that out... but they still have work to do.

30-40% of the kids at ORU are there because that’s where mommy and daddy want them to be so they can be sheltered from the real world. 75% of those kids were home schooled or went to a private Christian school. The number of kids who end up at ORU who have never had a class with a person of color is staggering. A good many of those kids have no idea how to handle a conflict (a majority) and mommy and daddy are constantly calling the school about roommate conflicts, problems with professors or assignments, etc. There are a good number of students who try to get dismissed from ORU...they didn’t want to be there in the first place.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
30-40% of the kids at ORU are there because that’s where mommy and daddy want them to be so they can be sheltered from the real world. 75% of those kids were home schooled or went to a private Christian school. The number of kids who end up at ORU who have never had a class with a person of color is staggering. A good many of those kids have no idea how to handle a conflict (a majority) and mommy and daddy are constantly calling the school about roommate conflicts, problems with professors or assignments, etc. There are a good number of students who try to get dismissed from ORU...they didn’t want to be there in the first place.

Good thing for them getting kicked out of school is rather easy. Had a roommate at OSU who did just that fwiw.

ORU has a very diverse student body which roughly reflects the racial makeup of the country. Much more so than say TU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT