ORU
ORU
ORU
Haith Extended
ORU
ORU
ORU

They are getting a lot of free press.

So getting to the Sweet 16 gets lot of local attention.
Makes sense to me.

It was at least 25 minutes of the 30 minute broadcast. Interviews with the governor, mayor, police chief, various dignitaries and students. Even the weather gave us the Indy forecast.

This is a lot of free publicity for the school.

Reactions: eastcane
Anybody remember when that was us on a regular basis?

Sidenote.... I seriously hope this doesn’t propel ORU into a ‘golden era’ like it did TU 30 years ago.

It was at least 25 minutes of the 30 minute broadcast. Interviews with the governor, mayor, police chief, various dignitaries and students. Even the weather gave us the Indy forecast.

I really don’t remember this much coverage for Tubbys sweet sixteen 2 year run or our elite eight game. I remember watching espn late Night before our elite eight game with North Carolina and all the talking heads that night predicted a win by Tulsa over North Carolina as they said Tulsa was much better than the 12 seed nc and Tulsa was headed to the final 4 and I was the only one watching this late at night and we were not the lead story on all the late night shows as oru lol

I really don’t remember this much coverage for Tubbys sweet sixteen 2 year run or our elite eight game. I remember watching espn late Night before our elite eight game with North Carolina and all the talking heads that night predicted a win by Tulsa over North Carolina as they said Tulsa was much better than the 12 seed nc and Tulsa was headed to the final 4 and I was the only one watching this late at night and we were not the lead story on all the late night shows as oru lol

The most coverage, both local and national, that I ever remember us receiving was after the Texas A&M football win and it was nothing like ORU is getting this week.

Reactions: libertychamp
The president of ORU was on Good Morning America on ABC this morning. Getting to the Sweet Sixteen or beyond is obviously great local & national exposure to a program. It’s been too long since TU was getting that free publicity.

I’m going to make a bold statement... Tulsa will beat ORU next year

When we went to the Sweet 16 and onto the Elite 8 in 2000, we weren't the only school in the state to achieve that level of success.
OSU also went to the Elite 8.
If OSU were still playing this weekend, ORU would not be getting as much free press on local TV stations or in the Tulsa World.
I'm not an ORU fan, but I'm okay with them beating Arkansas this weekend.

Last edited:
The president of ORU was on Good Morning America on ABC this morning. Getting to the Sweet Sixteen or beyond is obviously great local & national exposure to a program. It’s been too long since TU was getting that free publicity.
If Tulsa was in the sweet 16 we wouldn’t be on GMA because the wins wouldn’t have been incredible upsets and thereby big news. That’s the difference between the programs and conferences.

Hard for me to believe but I am rooting for ORU tomorrow despite my opposition to almost everything the university stands for.

Cannot root for the evil swine empire

When we went to the Sweet 16 and onto the Great 8 in 2000, we weren't the only school in the state to achieve that level of success.
OSU also went to the Great 8.
If OSU were still playing this weekend, ORU would not be getting as much free press on local TV stations or in the Tulsa World.
I'm not an ORU fan, but I'm okay with them beating Arkansas this weekend.

Yes, it was unfortunate timing that when we had our best team ever OSU was even better.

If Tulsa was in the sweet 16 we wouldn’t be on GMA because the wins wouldn’t have been incredible upsets and thereby big news. That’s the difference between the programs and conferences.
True, but it’s been 21 years since we played in the sweet sixteen, so I probably have faded memories of the publicity we received back then.

We also were not a 15 seed. ORU is a University in Tulsa so Tulsa should give plenty of coverage. It’s got National coverage because they are a 15 seed

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Sorry for ORU not to advance
Great game
But outside of basketball I have nothing culturally spiritually or educationally with the school
So I’m not devastated
And I fully expect Mills to cash in and
Most of the roster to move up
Really traveling to the Dakotas 3 times in a bus
Not my idea of fun

But our program is a dumpster fire Rick and Frank

I know you may not think so but some things in this world should be canceled.

I do think some things should be canceled, I won't provide examples here as many of us will disagree with one another. Nothing wrong with disagreeing, but it is off-topic for this thread.

I'm a God-fearing man, attend Church weekly, and am in the process of being confirmed in the Catholic Church, which culminates on Easter Vigil a week from today.

That being said, I'm able to keep a perspective to realize and understand what is now referred to as "cancel culture" is stopping things you (proverbial you, not saying TUPond specifically) don't like for one reason or another. ORU's honor code is almost a textbook example of what is now deemed "cancel culture."

I do think some things should be canceled, I won't provide examples here as many of us will disagree with one another. Nothing wrong with disagreeing, but it is off-topic for this thread.

I'm a God-fearing man, attend Church weekly, and am in the process of being confirmed in the Catholic Church, which culminates on Easter Vigil a week from today.

That being said, I'm able to keep a perspective to realize and understand what is now referred to as "cancel culture" is stopping things you (proverbial you, not saying TUPond specifically) don't like for one reason or another. ORU's honor code is almost a textbook example of what is now deemed "cancel culture."
ORU’s code may be interpreted as “cancel culture “ by some but my point is that ORU’s kids got in the Dance fair and square just like the other schools. It’s total bush league for a national writer to call them out for their beliefs and then go a step further and demand they be kicked out of the tournament because of those beliefs. I was glad to see a article from USA Today that defended ORU. I root for TU but I respect the school at 81st and Lewis. I think we should play them every year and I hope we beat them every year (though this year’s matchup doesn’t look good for us).

ORU’s code may be interpreted as “cancel culture “ by some but my point is that ORU’s kids got in the Dance fair and square just like the other schools. It’s total bush league for a national writer to call them out for their beliefs and then go a step further and demand they be kicked out of the tournament because of those beliefs. I was glad to see a article from USA Today that defended ORU. I root for TU but I respect the school at 81st and Lewis. I think we should play them every year and I hope we beat them every year (though this year’s matchup doesn’t look good for us).

My apologies TUPond, I misinterpreted your original comment. I agree 100% that the national "sports" writer would demand they be kicked out of the tournament for their beliefs.

imagine a world where people had choices...a choice to attend a university with such beliefs, or not to. a choice to read USA Today, or a choice to not read it. a choice to believe one way, or a choice to believe another.

maybe someday the world will create a land where these things are possible

Even if the piece about ORU was factually correct.

It has been an embarrassment to the city of Tulsa for decades.

Reactions: jerandlaur
Personally, I don't believe in religion, but that article about ORU is one of the most bigoted things I've ever read.

Just because you're embarrassed by something doesn't mean we all are.

it's what it is. people that have those beliefs come to Tulsa...some stay. I think now that they are basically an informally endowed and debt free university, that they will grow and prosper with increased admissions and better facilities.

What's an embarrassment right now is the university we all love. All I get is hard left leaning emails and op eds and yet we are hemorrhaging cash and had our top five staff positions with an "interim" tag the past year or so.

We need to get our own ship right.

Personally, I don't believe in religion, but that article about ORU is one of the most bigoted things I've ever read.
It is bigoted to make the general public aware that Oral Roberts is not a bright place for homosexuals? Get real. What did she say that was inaccurate? Nothing. Oral Roberts viewed his basketball team as an extension of his ministry to help bring awareness of his thought processes etc. It needed to be said.

It is bigoted to make the general public aware that Oral Roberts is not a bright place for homosexuals? Get real. What did she say that was inaccurate? Nothing. Oral Roberts viewed his basketball team as an extension of his ministry to help bring awareness of his thought processes etc. It needed to be said.
It is important to know that not all Christians are bigots . Nobody is perfect and I’m very skeptical of some of these “ mega churches” . ( ran more like a business than a ministry ) it kind of makes me think of when Jesus flipped tables over at the Temple when people were trying to sell things there . Anyway , it is one thing to disagree with a lifestyle which is ok, but it’s another thing to go out of your way and hope bad things for that group of people.

Do most people at ORU go out of their way to wish bad things for gays? Not saying it’s not true but I’ve never heard the ORU grads I know wish such things. Not arguing they don’t approve of that lifestyle btw.

If so, guess that’s a justification for wishing bad things for ORU?

Do most people at ORU go out of their way to wish bad things for gays? Not saying it’s not true but I’ve never heard the ORU grads I know wish such things. Not arguing they don’t approve of that lifestyle btw.

For me, I don’t have a problem with them, I’m not perfect by any means so I shouldn’t judge anybody because none of us are perfect, I’m just not on board with the whole mega church thing

I know the administration can be pretty hard on not just gays but also girls who get pregnant. The ORU code of conduct is pretty restrictive to anyone who doesn’t follow ORU’s supposed values... that is... unless you’re the head of the school or his family and you’re embezzling money and having affairs etc...

Then, quite ironically they will tell their students both to kick rocks if you get pregnant, “but we’re going to take all our money from a store who will fight in the Supreme Court to not have to buy birth control for our employees”

“Sexual relations should be between a married man and a woman.... and their daughter’s ex boyfriend”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT