ADVERTISEMENT

Kim English

There is potentially a significant upgrade in the November signings. Let's see if that happens. You all know my favorite coach for the future still lies in the new assistant coach at OU from Australia. But for now I am still in my September hopeful mood of getting that NCAA berth.

There is potentially a significant upgrade in the November signings. Let's see if that happens. You all know my favorite coach for the future still lies in the new assistant coach at OU from Australia. But for now I am still in my September hopeful mood of getting that NCAA berth.
It goes beyond recruits at this point. On paper they look great and they'll probably have great senior seasons, but what does Haith do to get them to develop? At this point, I've only seen 1 or 2 players who went through the program and significantly improved (Igbanu, D Jackson).

It goes beyond recruits at this point. On paper they look great and they'll probably have great senior seasons, but what does Haith do to get them to develop? At this point, I've only seen 1 or 2 players who went through the program and significantly improved (Igbanu, D Jackson).
Taplin as well.

Taplin as well.
I can't say Taplin significantly improved. Maybe he did from his sophomore to junior season but I honestly feel like he regressed in his senior year. Maybe Joiner but I don't feel his skill improved, but maybe only the way he processed the game in his head...and that's a good thing, but his physical game...his ball handling, shooting, passing didn't improve as you would expect them to over a 4 year playing career.

The question is we've seen little technical improvement from players over the course of their careers under Haith...is that indicative that Haith and his staff don't feel that area is important instead focusing on in game theory and tactical game planning (I'm speaking in very soccer terms right now)?

I can't say Taplin significantly improved. Maybe he did from his sophomore to junior season but I honestly feel like he regressed in his senior year. Maybe Joiner but I don't feel his skill improved, but maybe only the way he processed the game in his head...and that's a good thing, but his physical game...his ball handling, shooting, passing didn't improve as you would expect them to over a 4 year playing career.

The question is we've seen little technical improvement from players over the course of their careers under Haith...is that indicative that Haith and his staff don't feel that area is important instead focusing on in game theory and tactical game planning (I'm speaking in very soccer terms right now)?
Freshman to Sophomore was his huge jump. Part of that was probably his playing time increasing, but he was certainly better as a senior than he was as a freshman in terms of finishing ability around the rim and outside shooting.

Freshman to Sophomore was his huge jump. Part of that was probably his playing time increasing, but he was certainly better as a senior than he was as a freshman in terms of finishing ability around the rim and outside shooting.
I'll give you that. I guess my point is more that we're not really seeing players get better every year under Haith outside of a couple situations. And I realize that's my opinion and respect anyone who has a different one that may notice something different. And maybe we're not seeing that progression because there have not been enough players who make it all 4 years under Haith. Haith seems to run guys off early on and maybe he just wants guys to be top level college players when they arrive. We've had very few of those. Shaq Harrison is probably the best example I can think of of a player who got better every season he played because I'm not sure there is a person on this board that pegged Harrison as an NBA player when he arrived on campus.

Maybe Haith needs to start recruiting this kid right now...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ridiculous! 9-year-old hoopers in 2021...<a href="https://t.co/sY29a70wAl">pic.twitter.com/sY29a70wAl</a></p>&mdash; David Astramskas (@Redapples2021) <a href="">September 16, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'll give you that. I guess my point is more that we're not really seeing players get better every year under Haith outside of a couple situations. And I realize that's my opinion and respect anyone who has a different one that may notice something different. And maybe we're not seeing that progression because there have not been enough players who make it all 4 years under Haith. Haith seems to run guys off early on and maybe he just wants guys to be top level college players when they arrive. We've had very few of those. Shaq Harrison is probably the best example I can think of of a player who got better every season he played because I'm not sure there is a person on this board that pegged Harrison as an NBA player when he arrived on campus.
I thought he was really, really good. Not necessarily NBA, but he had all conference effort levels. I noticed that after his freshman year when he was high on the all time freshman assists and steals lists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT