ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Wilson

chewitt: welcome to the board. What caused you to join?
Tulsa native living in Texas last 25 years. I've been off message boards for a decade almost. Used to post a lot on Arrowhead Pride for the Chiefs. I go to TU games down here when they play SMU and watch on TV if I can't go. I've been to games at Skelly too. I've read the board for a while and didn't post due to not wanting to pay. The coaching change inspired me to jump in. I'll be off in a few weeks. My wife and her family are UNT alums so I'm looking forward to that too.

Reactions: I.I. and HuffyCane
There is a difference between being skeptical, and putting out the worst possible examples, as a place to start. I am skeptical. But I'm not starting from the bottom, and being completely negative about it. We have him, nothings going to change that for at least a couple of years. I have said a few skeptical things about him. I have lots of way more skeptical thoughts about him. I don't dish them out when he hasn't had a chance to do anything to prove himself yet, or not. That doesn't make me a snowflake, it makes me careful about criticizing before I really have anything to criticize yet.

Last edited:
Yup. I was at all of them this year. One of the few left at the end of the USF game.
Bet you were not at "The Walk". I was only one on Glenn Dobbs cheering on the seniors with my Davis Brin and Jesse Brubaker Fatheads! Probably because it was so cold. It was the only Walk I made due to my lung health, and I was coming too late (2 hours before KO instead of 2 1/2), I also stayed till the end of the game. I thought I was a human popsicle on my long walk to car parked south of Jimmie John's with my not total lung function (50%). We need to get more average Tulsans to the game somehow. Rick and Brad have stepped up the atmosphere. I am hopping Coach Wilson can help us be a winning program most years. Go Cane!

Recruits look at this board etc?? Omg reach.
Do not start with that recruits look at this board crap... I've been here over 20 years and it's a fan complaint board and everyone has one. We who love TU and are frustrated get to vent on this board. Recruits who decide not to come because of words from fans we do not need anyway

Reactions: Sbellini
Recruits look at this board etc?? Omg reach.
Believe it or not but potential players and their family absolutely do come to this board and read it. We have had parents on here....my favorite was SoftballDad....so happy he left! Never seen someone so negative in my life (looking at a couple of you :p )

Do not start with that recruits look at this board crap... I've been here over 20 years and it's a fan complaint board and everyone has one. We who love TU and are frustrated get to vent on this board. Recruits who decide not to come because of words from fans we do not need anyway
i have been a fan for 73 years
I rember when OU etal could recruit over 50 freshmen, which left us with not much to choose from, so we relied on a few freshmen but mostly transfers and jucos.

Braxton is staying. Huge win for Kevin Wilson
Such good news! And didn't our new coach make a living at O-St and OU with athletic QB's who both ran it & threw it with much success? Braylon Braxton showed in the last two wins an ability to be effective both running it and throwing, with a cannon for an arm.

Our new coach must be salivating to work with him. Add 4-5 starters on the O-line with a seasons experience. All we need now are some guys who can catch it which I expect the new staff will come up with.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
Yes...I think the new staff will be able to coach BB up, and I am hopeful that we will have a new, more diverse offense to suit his talents.
I think we might have the right coach for that.

Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud Named Big Ten Offensive Player, Quarterback Of The Year​

A Buckeye has been named the offensive player of the year in five straight seasons and the quarterback of the year seven straight years.

According to Twitter (Braxton's Dad) - he had 2 P5 coaches fly to Tulsa to meet with him and 6 more contact him... all in the one day he was in the portal.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Couri surprised & stumped him a little by asking if he has to choose his staff by finding coaches that could fit in a little school like Tulsa.

I would’ve answered that every FBS coaching staff gets a total of 85 scholarship athletes to coach, period.

I’m tired of the little ole Tulsa angle. I think it’s not only irrelevant, but it’s actually counterproductive to growing a winning program.

Couri surprised & stumped him a little by asking if he has to choose his staff by finding coaches that could fit in a little school like Tulsa.

I would’ve answered that every FBS coaching staff gets a total of 85 scholarship athletes to coach, period.

I’m tired of the little ole Tulsa angle. I think it’s not only irrelevant, but it’s actually counterproductive to growing a winning program.
VERY tired of that 🙄

Reactions: TU Pilot
Such good news! And didn't our new coach make a living at O-St and OU with athletic QB's who both ran it & threw it with much success? Braylon Braxton showed in the last two wins an ability to be effective both running it and throwing, with a cannon for an arm.

Our new coach must be salivating to work with him. Add 4-5 starters on the O-line with a seasons experience. All we need now are some guys who can catch it which I expect the new staff will come up with.
He has indeed had that kind of QB at Ohio State with Dwayne Haskins and CJ Stroud. At OU, I wouldn’t consider Landry Jones, Sam Bradford, or Jason White athletic dual threats 😂

According to Twitter (Braxton's Dad) - he had 2 P5 coaches fly to Tulsa to meet with him and 6 more contact him... all in the one day he was in the portal.
Dad is full of crap according to sources. You can bet BB would post it all if really true. Sounds more like nobody was interested so he panicked and came back.

He was in the portal for one day. “Nobody was interested” isn’t a thing after one day. If he had stayed in I’d be shocked if he didn’t have several lower level P5 options.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

That was the main thing from Ashli Montgomery's blog I totally agreed with. We didn't accomplish what we have (especially post Frnka/oil money era) by wearing "more with less" as a badge of honor and I prefer we just go back to taking care of business.

I hate the "smallest FBS" school. I get it, we are small. Stop using that as an excuse because that is exactly what it sounds like, an excuse. We do "more with less"...again an excuse. It all comes off as a reason why we can't compete. I don't like it and it needs to go away. We are in a metro that has some of the best players in the state. We are a state that bumps up against Texas which produces the best players in the country. We are not far from some of the best JUCOs in the country. We play in the best "G5" conference. With the playoffs expanding it is an easy recruiting tool to show we will be in the playoffs coming to this conference and an easier road than most P5. There are no excuses for why we can't recruit. We are in a prime location to be killing it on the recruiting path. NIL is where we lack and my biggest prblem for 30+ years. MARKETING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People do not know who Tulsa is and where we are even located. TU needs to get away from this "we want to be the only people who sell TU" and start throwing our name out there like crazy. I keep hearing on the radio that OU and Arkansas playing at the BOK center and basketball is finally coming back to Tulsa for the night....Even the radio throwing shade at TU saying we don't play basketball, or not prominent enough to be considered worth seeing. It's MARKETING!!!! MARKETING!!!! MARKETING!!!!

I hate the "smallest FBS" school. I get it, we are small. Stop using that as an excuse because that is exactly what it sounds like, an excuse. We do "more with less"...again an excuse. It all comes off as a reason why we can't compete. I don't like it and it needs to go away. We are in a metro that has some of the best players in the state. We are a state that bumps up against Texas which produces the best players in the country. We are not far from some of the best JUCOs in the country. We play in the best "G5" conference. With the playoffs expanding it is an easy recruiting tool to show we will be in the playoffs coming to this conference and an easier road than most P5. There are no excuses for why we can't recruit. We are in a prime location to be killing it on the recruiting path. NIL is where we lack and my biggest prblem for 30+ years. MARKETING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People do not know who Tulsa is and where we are even located. TU needs to get away from this "we want to be the only people who sell TU" and start throwing our name out there like crazy. I keep hearing on the radio that OU and Arkansas playing at the BOK center and basketball is finally coming back to Tulsa for the night....Even the radio throwing shade at TU saying we don't play basketball, or not prominent enough to be considered worth seeing. It's MARKETING!!!! MARKETING!!!! MARKETING!!!!
+1000

Reactions: TUcandoit
I agree with the "smallest FBS" school thing, but I am not sure how much further marketing can carry us. I would say winning will do more than any marketing...we need to show improvement. Basketball is regressing currently, football cannot.

Reactions: dougheffking
I agree with the "smallest FBS" school thing, but I am not sure how much further marketing can carry us. I would say winning will do more than any marketing...we need to show improvement. Basketball is regressing currently, football cannot.
I wouldn't say basketball is regressing. Konkol was left with a completely bare cupboard. You will see a massive improvement next season when he reshapes the roster this offseason.

What radio station said this?
I've heard it on 105.3, 100.9, and I believe 99.5, It's a commercial that is being ran. They don't say "We don't play basketball". They say "Finally, basketball is back in Tulsa" which basically is saying without OU coming to play, there isn't basketball to watch here. Totally dismissing TU and ORU.

I wouldn't say basketball is regressing. Konkol was left with a completely bare cupboard. You will see a massive improvement next season when he reshapes the roster this offseason.
Fair enough. Poor choice of words. BB is not good right now, and for this season a big turnaround does not look in the cards. I'm just really down right now....I am struggling to find much to be positive about.

Fair enough. Poor choice of words. BB is not good right now, and for this season a big turnaround does not look in the cards. I'm just really down right now....I am struggling to find much to be positive about.
Ah I get it. But trust the process, we have the right coach who knows what TU is about…recruiting class coming in is good. He’s going to build the program the right way from the ground up. A big jump will occur next season.

Ah I get it. But trust the process, we have the right coach who knows what TU is about…recruiting class coming in is good. He’s going to build the program the right way from the ground up. A big jump will occur next season.
I think next season might still be a struggle but it will be better than this year for sure. The recruits coming in look like studs but they are still highschoolers and will be freshmen coming in. They have a learning curve ahead of them. We will lose a few games we shouldn't because of it. I expect in 2 years to see a winning team though!

Reactions: nevadanatural
I think next season might still be a struggle but it will be better than this year for sure. The recruits coming in look like studs but they are still highschoolers and will be freshmen coming in. They have a learning curve ahead of them. We will lose a few games we shouldn't because of it. I expect in 2 years to see a winning team though!
A big jump is from 8 wins to 15 wins.

Portal could come into play as well.

Reactions: TUcandoit
I really hope noone had expectations of him coming in and getting us tournament bound in year 1. I was hoping to get to 12 wins. Even that was a big hope for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT