ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Wilson

My favorite so far is that TU does nothing to attract fans because we're and elitist university and expect elitists to only attend the games... Guess I missed 22K+ people in three-piece suits with monocles and top-hats on at the games the last, like, 34 years of my life.

***Considers sitting in the south endzone at the next home game dressed like the monopoly guy and holding a sign saying “you may not pass go. You may not collect 6 points”

My favorite so far is that TU does nothing to attract fans because we're and elitist university and expect elitists to only attend the games... Guess I missed 22K+ people in three-piece suits with monocles and top-hats on at the games the last, like, 34 years of my life.
We were on the top row , eating cheese and drinking fine wine with our pinkies up, how could you not have noticed ?!

They should spend a game with the crazy uncles in the oo-sa-sa-sa section. We'll probably see many when OU comes to town.

There were several OU fans in our section who looked like extras for the Duck Dynasty boys the last time the Sooners were here.

I will only wear tweed jackets with leather patches on my elbows, penny loafers, newsboy gatsby hat, and just walk straight forward without moving for anyone.
Don’t hate on newsboy hats, I have two (summer and winter) and love them.

Reactions: TUcandoit
So I am going to engage in this discussion with you. There are programs in P5 conferences that will never win on a consistent level. Places like Vanderbilt, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas. They will always be the bottom of the barrel in those conferences. They will find lightning in a bottle on an occasional season and win more than they lose. The losses are not indicative of their program or quality but more the quality of the programs they face. In the case of Indiana. They will play an insane combo of Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin every year. That's almost 5 guaranteed losses a season unless you are in that special year. In the case of Vanderbilt, they have to play Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Bama, LSU almost every season. James Franklin found the lightning in the bottle at Vandy and Penn State came calling immediately. Had Franklin stayed in Nashville 2-3 more years, he'd be one of those retreads people questioned the next time he got hired at even a G5 school.

In Indiana's case, let's look at the improvement in the program. The offense went from non-competitive to putting up 35+ points a game in B1G contests. They were a top 20 offense nationally under Wilson. The games they lost to those power teams were shootouts (and they beat a Michigan State team ranked in the preseason top 5 in Wilson's last year at Indiana). If you've every visited Bloomington, basketball is king. The football stadium is pretty non-descript and nothing special about it. Assembly Hall is next door and the amount of hype around the arena and then inside the arena is freaking amazing (think Notre Dame football stadium but for basketball). Lots of busts, memorable moments, national championship banners, etc. Football is really an after though at IU. But the improvement and the competitiveness Wilson's teams showed against the top B1G teams should be cause for some optimism here. Now the "mistreatment" of players which was really a coaching staff pushing players to get back on the field, is something different. I'm sure this was 100% explored by TU's search and interview committee and whatever the answer was was deemed satisfactory to them as something they could move forward with. Wilson is still part of that old school generation of coaches so this mentality has been persistent for a long time in football at all levels. Only in the last 10 years or so have we seen change in that area. Remember, this is probably all from the Stoops tree as there has been a number of coaches in that line who have been dismissed for similar reasons. Leach and Mangino as well and those programs have never approached the same level of success since.

It's not a splashy hire, it's not the young energetic former TU player taking the reins, but I do think there is reason for optimism that we'll see some exciting things and some high powered offense coming to Skelly soon.
I pick only one nit with this - our stadium has improved to “descript.”

Wilson is a football guy. If he can control his temper (and all reports say he is better) and get a good defensive staff, you guys will love him.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Even with a gimpy QB and a predictable offense, we almost beat an SEC team. The hill is not that high to climb being in the AAC....it's not like having to play a B1G schedule. I think he will do fine here. And I don't think we will see Navy boat race us any more.
You might not want to mention Navy to Wilson for a day or 2. He was vocally displeased (“who the **** scheduled that?”) when he learned he had them “home and away“ on his future schedule at IU. Maybe mention it later. (Beats playing Ahia State, Michigan, PennState, MSU and Purdue every year though.)

I pick only one nit with this - our stadium has improved to “descript.”

Wilson is a football guy. If he can control his temper (and all reports say he is better) and get a good defensive staff, you guys will love him.
So I visited IU back in the summers of '92 and '93 with a DCI corps. The turf was still the painted green concrete and not the new stuff and it just seemed pretty generic...and a lot of stadiums were that way back then. I just remember the stark contrast between the character of the stadium vs the character of Assembly Hall which almost seemed like it had voices of greatness speaking to you as you walked around.

You might not want to mention Navy to Wilson for a day or 2. He was vocally displeased (“who the **** scheduled that?”) when he learned he had them “home and away“ on his future schedule at IU. Maybe mention it later. (Beats playing Ahia State, Michigan, PennState, MSU and Purdue every year though.)
AAC is going divisionless next year so we only get Navy 2 of the next 4 seasons.

Yeah, Navy is a bur in the side of many teams. The unique nature of their offense, particularly the blocking schemes really takes a toll on your defense both in the length of time they are kept on the field as well as injuries. But schools schedule them as non-con opponents because they sell a lot of tickets no matter where they go.

So I visited IU back in the summers of '92 and '93 with a DCI corps. The turf was still the painted green concrete and not the new stuff and it just seemed pretty generic...and a lot of stadiums were that way back then. I just remember the stark contrast between the character of the stadium vs the character of Assembly Hall which almost seemed like it had voices of greatness speaking to you as you walked around.
Yeah, its better. Both end zones have been filled in - so its bowl-ish. New turf with rubber pellets. Big-ass flag.

636117359596545862-IU-South-end-zone.png

Reactions: TU_BLA
Yeah, its better. Both end zones have been filled in - so its bowl-ish. New turf with rubber pellets. Big-ass flag.

The big ass flag makes all the difference 😂 But for real, the filled in end zones would have made a difference back in the day. It was a cool place to march a show

What corps were you with?

Nice. When I marched with Boston we were on the brink of collapse, had only 40 horns compared to the top 12 corps running 60-70 out there. It was a great experience though. One of the guys I marched with is currently Boston's Executive Director and he has them on the brink of winning a DCI championship.

The Cavies always had great solid, traditional drum corps shows. In the 90s they were the corps everyone was chasing most years.

Reactions: TU65alum
Staff is a general reference. Recruits look at this board and if it is all negative it has an effect. That is hindering their efforts. Go back under your rock. Bye
Still here. Why don't you look up Dan McCarney. A Big 10 coordinator with a Rose Bowl under his belt. Coached at Iowa State, even had some success in a difficult situation. Got booted and then hired by North Texas. UNT fans said the same thing TU fans are saying about Wilson "oh he will do much better in our conference ". For 3 seasons then crashed and burned with an 0-6 start before fired before he could get to the postgame media after getting smoked on homecoming by an FCS school 66-7. I'm glad Braxton is staying and wish the best for his father. I'll be glad to be wrong about Wilson, but I see more Dan McCarney 2.0

Still here. Why don't you look up Dan McCarney. A Big 10 coordinator with a Rose Bowl under his belt. Coached at Iowa State, even had some success in a difficult situation. Got booted and then hired by North Texas. UNT fans said the same thing TU fans are saying about Wilson "oh he will do much better in our conference ". For 3 seasons then crashed and burned with an 0-6 start before fired before he could get to the postgame media after getting smoked on homecoming by an FCS school 66-7. I'm glad Braxton is staying and wish the best for his father. I'll be glad to be wrong about Wilson, but I see more Dan McCarney 2.0
The difference:

they hired a coach who was canned…

We hired a coach with a team in the semis.

That’s a pretty big difference.

Reactions: TU 1978
The difference:

they hired a coach who was canned…

We hired a coach with a team in the semis.

That’s a pretty big difference.
Wilson was canned by Indiana. UNT hired McCarney away from the University of Florida where he was the assistant head coach. Jeff Scott was a coach with a team in the semis. How'd that work out for USF?

Nobody on here needs or wants your opinions. Bye

Wilson was canned by Indiana. UNT hired McCarney away from the University of Florida where he was the assistant head coach. Jeff Scott was a coach with a team in the semis. How'd that work out for USF?
You can be negative about just about any hire out there if you try hard enough. I’m sorry you feel the need to prove that. Hopefully coach Wilson will change your mind.

Staff is a general reference. Recruits look at this board and if it is all negative it has an effect. That is hindering their efforts. Go back under your rock. Bye
Recruits look at this board etc?? Omg reach.

You can be negative about just about any hire out there if you try hard enough. I’m sorry you feel the need to prove that. Hopefully coach Wilson will change your mind.
I'll be more than happy if Wilson proves me wrong. There's nothing wrong with being skeptical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT