ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Wilson

Wilson never did better than .500 (6-6), the coach before Wilson and after Wilson have a better winning % at Indiana than Wilson, plus they both had winning seasons
Everything I said up there and this is what you took out of it....

Wilson never did better than .500 (6-6), the coach before Wilson and after Wilson have a better winning % at Indiana than Wilson, plus they both had winning seasons
The coach at Indiana has gone 6-18 the last two years. Monty had two winning season at Tulsa the last 3 years here...who cares? The coach before Wilson had ONE winning season. Goodness you are ridiculous. Is it that hard to see that winning at Indiana is damn near impossible?

Also, the current Indiana coach had one of his winning seasons during the COVID year...Are you really counting that? You probably count the Lakers bubble title as a real title too.

Couldn't care less
Some kids are softies

I am more concerned about his record as a HC. Some coaches are just born to be coordinators.
So I am going to engage in this discussion with you. There are programs in P5 conferences that will never win on a consistent level. Places like Vanderbilt, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas. They will always be the bottom of the barrel in those conferences. They will find lightning in a bottle on an occasional season and win more than they lose. The losses are not indicative of their program or quality but more the quality of the programs they face. In the case of Indiana. They will play an insane combo of Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin every year. That's almost 5 guaranteed losses a season unless you are in that special year. In the case of Vanderbilt, they have to play Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Bama, LSU almost every season. James Franklin found the lightning in the bottle at Vandy and Penn State came calling immediately. Had Franklin stayed in Nashville 2-3 more years, he'd be one of those retreads people questioned the next time he got hired at even a G5 school.

In Indiana's case, let's look at the improvement in the program. The offense went from non-competitive to putting up 35+ points a game in B1G contests. They were a top 20 offense nationally under Wilson. The games they lost to those power teams were shootouts (and they beat a Michigan State team ranked in the preseason top 5 in Wilson's last year at Indiana). If you've every visited Bloomington, basketball is king. The football stadium is pretty non-descript and nothing special about it. Assembly Hall is next door and the amount of hype around the arena and then inside the arena is freaking amazing (think Notre Dame football stadium but for basketball). Lots of busts, memorable moments, national championship banners, etc. Football is really an after though at IU. But the improvement and the competitiveness Wilson's teams showed against the top B1G teams should be cause for some optimism here. Now the "mistreatment" of players which was really a coaching staff pushing players to get back on the field, is something different. I'm sure this was 100% explored by TU's search and interview committee and whatever the answer was was deemed satisfactory to them as something they could move forward with. Wilson is still part of that old school generation of coaches so this mentality has been persistent for a long time in football at all levels. Only in the last 10 years or so have we seen change in that area. Remember, this is probably all from the Stoops tree as there has been a number of coaches in that line who have been dismissed for similar reasons. Leach and Mangino as well and those programs have never approached the same level of success since.

It's not a splashy hire, it's not the young energetic former TU player taking the reins, but I do think there is reason for optimism that we'll see some exciting things and some high powered offense coming to Skelly soon.

So I am going to engage in this discussion with you. There are programs in P5 conferences that will never win on a consistent level. Places like Vanderbilt, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas. They will always be the bottom of the barrel in those conferences. They will find lightning in a bottle on an occasional season and win more than they lose. The losses are not indicative of their program or quality but more the quality of the programs they face. In the case of Indiana. They will play an insane combo of Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin every year. That's almost 5 guaranteed losses a season unless you are in that special year. In the case of Vanderbilt, they have to play Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Bama, LSU almost every season. James Franklin found the lightning in the bottle at Vandy and Penn State came calling immediately. Had Franklin stayed in Nashville 2-3 more years, he'd be one of those retreads people questioned the next time he got hired at even a G5 school.

In Indiana's case, let's look at the improvement in the program. The offense went from non-competitive to putting up 35+ points a game in B1G contests. They were a top 20 offense nationally under Wilson. The games they lost to those power teams were shootouts (and they beat a Michigan State team ranked in the preseason top 5 in Wilson's last year at Indiana). If you've every visited Bloomington, basketball is king. The football stadium is pretty non-descript and nothing special about it. Assembly Hall is next door and the amount of hype around the arena and then inside the arena is freaking amazing (think Notre Dame football stadium but for basketball). Lots of busts, memorable moments, national championship banners, etc. Football is really an after though at IU. But the improvement and the competitiveness Wilson's teams showed against the top B1G teams should be cause for some optimism here. Now the "mistreatment" of players which was really a coaching staff pushing players to get back on the field, is something different. I'm sure this was 100% explored by TU's search and interview committee and whatever the answer was was deemed satisfactory to them as something they could move forward with. Wilson is still part of that old school generation of coaches so this mentality has been persistent for a long time in football at all levels. Only in the last 10 years or so have we seen change in that area. Remember, this is probably all from the Stoops tree as there has been a number of coaches in that line who have been dismissed for similar reasons. Leach and Mangino as well and those programs have never approached the same level of success since.

It's not a splashy hire, it's not the young energetic former TU player taking the reins, but I do think there is reason for optimism that we'll see some exciting things and some high powered offense coming to Skelly soon.
Good thoughts. I think his staff is going to be key here.

Reactions: dlsnid and TU_BLA
The past ten coaches, the average winning percentage was .364, so? Wilson was .361, so? There hasn't been a consistent string of coaches who kept their winning percentage over .500 since 1895-1920, so? The last coach to go over .500 coached them in the 30's & 40's, so?

That just tells you nobody does great there for a long time. Don't compare winning percentages that low, and act like winning percentages with less than .09 of a difference says anything big about coaching ability. When it's been that bad, for that long, it says crap about coaching ability. Shoo.

Reactions: dougheffking
From Wikipedia.......

University of Oklahoma Wilson's 2008 up-tempo and no-huddle Oklahoma offense resulted in the Sooners scoring at least 60 points in every one of their last 5 conference games and a 65-21 victory over undefeated Texas Tech.[30] The Sooners' quarterback, Sam Bradford, finished the 2008 season with 4720 passing yards and 50 passing touchdowns.[31] It was after the 2008 season that Wilson received the Broyles Award as the top assistant coach of the year.[32] Wilson's offenses featured a then-NCAA record 716 points during the 2008 season which still ranks as No. 2 in FBS history. During Wilson's tenure at Oklahoma, the Sooners won six Big 12 Championships and played in 3 National Championships.[10]

Indiana University In Wilson's last 5 seasons as head coach for the Indiana Hoosiers, his offense led the Big Ten Conference in passing yards per game (226.7 yards), was second in total yards per game (459.3 yards), third in points per game (31.4 points), and fourth in rushing yards per game (192.7 yards).[33]

Ohio State University Since Wilson joined the Ohio State Buckeyes in 2017, they have averaged 523.8 yards per game (third in the nation), had more than 500 yards of total offense 27 times and over 600 yards nine times, scored 234 touchdowns (second in the nation), completed 138 touchdown passes (best in the nation), set six Big Ten Conference Offensive Records in the 2018 season (535.6 yards per game, 5,100 passing yards, 51 touchdown passes, 1131 total plays).[34] Wilson's offense produced back-to-back Heisman Trophy finalists (Dwayne Haskins and Justin Fields), the first 2,000-yard rusher in school history (J. K. Dobbins), and the fifth 1,000-yard receiver in school history (Parris Campbell).

Coach Wilson has stayed in contact w/ several area high school coaches over the years as well as a huge vast network of coaching contacts/connections so he should be able to build a quality, competitive, energetic staff here at TU

I think it is a very solid hire who wants 2 B back in the Oklahoma area plus he's a coach who wanted 2 B here
Welcome to TU coach Kevin Wilson, & go TU!

Last edited:
Do I think this is a home run hire? No... Do I think this is the worst hire ever? Absolutely not. I do understand why people are upset if you just look at records.
I agree with this guy. There were a lot of realities at play. The admin wanted a certain profile and we weren't apparently super attractive in that market, so our choices were somewhat limited. Wilson is in his 60s and has been at OSU for 6 years without a HC job. He's not getting younger or smarter, after 14 years as OC, another year makes him less attractive, he realizes his choices are somewhat limited. He was 50 when he want to IU and had been an OC for 8 years. Did he want to go to Indiana? Probably not, nobody wants to go to IU but he wasn't getting younger and he wasn't becoming a better candidate so he danced with the girl who was there instead of waiting for the girl of his dreams. Being an average coach at IU is a lot different than being an average coach in the Big 10 as a whole...

I don't know why we fixated on guys who had been P5 coaches, they seem like a bad fit for us and we seem like a bad fit for them, but I think it worked out pretty well in the end. I like but don't love the hire. I think we'll be fun to watch and that alone makes him way better than Odom or Monty. And I think Wilson is hungry, he knows this is the end of the road. I think he'll give it 1000%.

Very excited about Coach Wilson hire, although am not expecting much next season due to our best, most experienced players on D and O leaving through portal. However, we will have a young O-line with invaluable experience and quality RB's coming back. I'm also looking forward to our remaining QB's developing. It's going to be tough sledding on defense, but I give him a year or two, and his D-coordinator, to fix that. Go TU!

Very excited about Coach Wilson hire, although am not expecting much next season due to our best, most experienced players on D and O leaving through portal. However, we will have a young O-line with invaluable experience and quality RB's coming back. I'm also looking forward to our remaining QB's developing. It's going to be tough sledding on defense, but I give him a year or two, and his D-coordinator, to fix that. Go TU!
You realize just because they're in the portal doesn't mean they're gone right? My guess is at least a few of them will stay due to Wilson's offense reputation.

100% our QB next year comes from the Portal. We WILL NOT be going to battle with who we have left.

The coach at Indiana has gone 6-18 the last two years. Monty had two winning season at Tulsa the last 3 years here...who cares? The coach before Wilson had ONE winning season. Goodness you are ridiculous. Is it that hard to see that winning at Indiana is damn near impossible?

Also, the current Indiana coach had one of his winning seasons during the COVID year...Are you really counting that? You probably count the Lakers bubble title as a real title too.
Stumbled on this article last night, really interesting. Can't help but think about the descriptions of the possessed every time I see a Dough Eff King post.

American Exorcism

Reactions: loca2874
Even with a gimpy QB and a predictable offense, we almost beat an SEC team. The hill is not that high to climb being in the AAC....it's not like having to play a B1G schedule. I think he will do fine here. And I don't think we will see Navy boat race us any more.

If your first six posts do nothing but crap on the new coach, then you might be the old coach.
I was happy to get rid of Montgomery, I would have never given him the extension he got ladt year. I was optimistic and looking forward to a new coach. Wilson is quite a let down. There were better candidates out there. Enjoy your koolaid

• Haha
Reactions: TulsaAM
The past ten coaches, the average winning percentage was .364, so? Wilson was .361, so? There hasn't been a consistent string of coaches who kept their winning percentage over .500 since 1895-1920, so? The last coach to go over .500 coached them in the 30's & 40's, so?

That just tells you nobody does great there for a long time. Don't compare winning percentages that low, and act like winning percentages with less than .09 of a difference says anything big about coaching ability. When it's been that bad, for that long, it says crap about coaching ability. Shoo.
The prior post I was replying to said Wilson did better than other IU coaches. I pointed out fact that he has been par for the course.

Any of you think with the Ohio St connection that discussion was held with John Cooper on the abilities and fit of Kevin Wilson for TU? FYI I do.
I would agree, and if it didn't happen then it was malfeasance.

The prior post I was replying to said Wilson did better than other IU coaches. I pointed out fact that he has been par for the course.
He did do better than prior coaches. Your point still had nothing to do with that. You wanted to complain that 6-6 was his best record. That has nothing to do with that he was better than prior coaches. You take out his first season where he was 1-11...All of a sudden he becomes one of the better coaches in Indiana history. You are so blinded by his record that you are not willing to see he had a modicum of success in a place that careers go to die.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It didn't exactly say that, it said he did better than most of the past 10 coaches. And comparing him to the coach before and after him is not an answer to that. Quit reaching for ways to criticize.

I was happy to get rid of Montgomery, I would have never given him the extension he got ladt year. I was optimistic and looking forward to a new coach. Wilson is quite a let down. There were better candidates out there. Enjoy your koolaid
You obviously haven't read my posts, or ignored the point. Are you aston reincarnated? What do you expect when every post you have ever posted is crapping on the new coach.(in your long illustrious new life of 3 days on the board) None of us wanted that extension. I wanted Monty gone 2 or 3 years ago. I'm not drinking the koolaid. I'm also not spending all my time saying sh!ite about the new staff, which hinders their efforts.

You obviously haven't read my posts, or ignored the point. Are you aston reincarnated? What do you expect when every post you have ever posted is crapping on the new coach.(in your long illustrious new life of 3 days on the board) None of us wanted that extension. I wanted Monty gone 2 or 3 years ago. I'm not drinking the koolaid. I'm also not spending all my time saying sh!ite about the new staff, which hinders their efforts.
Staff? Has Wilson even named his staff yet? Me, or anyone else having any criticism of Wilson, TU Football has ZERO affect, in no way hinders their efforts. Talk about a reach.

I think he will do fine, maybe some of the local kids start getting recruited instead of ignored. I hope he is multi-tasking and trying to halt the portal traffic. I want to win, but 2015, 2016, 2020, 2021 Monty ball close wins were never as fun as TG destruction fests.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Staff? Has Wilson even named his staff yet? Me, or anyone else having any criticism of Wilson, TU Football has ZERO affect, in no way hinders their efforts. Talk about a reach.
Staff is a general reference. Recruits look at this board and if it is all negative it has an effect. That is hindering their efforts. Go back under your rock. Bye

As far as the player treatment, it's never a good look for any coach.

None of what I am reading about Wilson makes him out to be a Mike Babcock type. For those who don't follow hockey, he did some egregious stuff to players as coach of the Red Wings and I have a feeling it probably followed him to Toronto. We're talking bullying players with severe concussions, etc. I am not excusing Wilson's previous behavior, but it doesn't look to be on par with some of the real scummy stuff going on across all sports back then.

My favorite so far is that TU does nothing to attract fans because we're and elitist university and expect elitists to only attend the games... Guess I missed 22K+ people in three-piece suits with monocles and top-hats on at the games the last, like, 34 years of my life.

Last time I checked, we're the only one out of the 3 that doesn't walk around like we own the state and our crap doesn't stink. Everytime I have taken a non-alum or non-fan to a game with me, they have been extremely impressed with the way they were treated and how "nice the campus is".

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT