ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Wilson

Glad this board is a small sampling. Some people need to go away. This is a GREAT hire that’s being nationally applauded, but your sad set isn’t down with it. Well, it sucks for you because this train is movin on without you 918.
This is a meh hire.

I’m definitely more of a basketball guy than a football guy, so I don’t have a deep understanding to be able to evaluate him as an actual coach, but here’s my two cents. Hiring the OC from a perennial powerhouse like OSU is nothing to sneeze at. I mean, how many CFP or BCS or whatever games has this guy coached in? I’m assuming it’s quite a few. He has at least been there at the highest level (as an OC), and I have to think that will be attractive to potential staff/recruits.

Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out with him and cheering for his success!

Couldn't care less
Some kids are softies

I am more concerned about his record as a HC. Some coaches are just born to be coordinators.
Indiana is the Kansas(of old) of the Big 10.

His last two seasons were .500, which is more than most Indiana coaches can say.

Keep blathering on. We were in shock when you acted like a TU fan for 3 seconds.

Too long IMO unless there are performance requirements.

3 is all I would give anyone esp. if he is getting into the 2 million zone.
As far as I knew, most coaches anywhere get a deal for 4 or 5 years when they start a new job. I don't think we can expect to offer less than 4.

Reactions: loca2874
As far as I knew, most coaches anywhere get a deal for 4 or 5 years when they start a new job. I don't think we can expect to offer less than 4.
Good for him. Can be the last job he ever has if he wants it to be.

Reactions: 94ChickFan
Indiana is the Kansas(of old) of the Big 10.

His last two seasons were .500, which is more than most Indiana coaches can say.

Keep blathering on. We were in shock when you acted like a TU fan for 3 seconds.
Ok
Prove me wrong

Too long IMO unless there are performance requirements.

3 is all I would give anyone esp. if he is getting into the 2 million zone.
Emphatically agree. If the guy ends up disappointing, he's building in an expensive buy-out clause. Seems so odd to me that sports contracts are so antithetical to the rest of the way society deals with employment. I can see doing it for players due to unforeseen injuries and bodily harm exposure, but why do coaches get sweetheart long-term deals? Back in the day, Gretzky was signed to a 21 year "personal services contract" which is how the Oilers kept him on their team and didn't lose him to the expansion draft when they merged with the NHL in '79. He received a base pay and had performance incentives, which ended up paying him a lot of money in his day comparatively. In a perfect world, it'd be nice to hire a coach with a base salary of $500,000 and tell him each win is worth $xxx,xxx and a bowl game is an additional ____ and a conference championship is _____. Anyway, just wishful thinking.

Emphatically agree. If the guy ends up disappointing, he's building in an expensive buy-out clause. Seems so odd to me that sports contracts are so antithetical to the rest of the way society deals with employment. I can see doing it for players due to unforeseen injuries and bodily harm exposure, but why do coaches get sweetheart long-term deals? Back in the day, Gretzky was signed to a 21 year "personal services contract" which is how the Oilers kept him on their team and didn't lose him to the expansion draft when they merged with the NHL in '79. He received a base pay and had performance incentives, which ended up paying him a lot of money in his day comparatively. In a perfect world, it'd be nice to hire a coach with a base salary of $500,000 and tell him each win is worth $xxx,xxx and a bowl game is an additional ____ and a conference championship is _____. Anyway, just wishful thinking.
Yes, I don't know how the market has developed this way, but I guess we must live with it.

He doesn't seem to smile much in the photos I have seen.

For some reason that bothers me.

The coach comes in with a roster comprised of mostly the former coaches recruits. He has to win some of those guys over, recruit new players into the program, and institute a new system on offense and defense. That all takes time. Most coaches are given 4 to 5 years because that is within the average amount of time it takes to succeed or fail. Some can do it in 2 years, some can do it in 6, but the average is where coaches can and do demand they be given at least that long. It generally sets at 4 for a reason.

He is a higher level coordinator, and we are a lower level team, so he could demand 5. That's why CC's coach could demand more, he knew he would get at least a 4 year deal for at least $4 million at a P5 school, so he demanded the money for a longer amount of time.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I’m excited about the hire. His teams at Indiana improved every year. It was Indiana so any improvement is really impressive.

He has been successful as a coordinator at OU and Ohio State. If he can be a good CEO and hire the right staff, I could see him being a Sonny Dykes type of coach. That would be a win in my opinion.

I’m hoping with his style of offense he can talk to Braxton about coming back also!

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I’m excited about the hire. His teams at Indiana improved every year. It was Indiana so any improvement is really impressive.

He has been successful as a coordinator at OU and Ohio State. If he can be a good CEO and hire the right staff, I could see him being a Sonny Dykes type of coach. That would be a win in my opinion.

I’m hoping with his style of offense he can talk to Braxton about coming back also!
Hope so.

Let's think Aunt Clara/Rick Dickson for this hire
A Christmas Story Pink GIF by filmeditor

Loooong time IU guy here.

Many can and will say bad things about Coach Wilson. I won’t. I hope all bad things are behind him, and wish him well. We were FUN TO WATCH when he had his guys on the field.

I hope you guys give hIm a big welcome and big support and things work out well.

On the field he was an offensive savant. He was hired to bring us “tempo” and it was off to the races. But your defense better be in shape. Quote - “what am I supposed to do? Tell my offense to make shorter gains? take more time to score?”

He got us some superior players - just not enough. In our league, if you don’t have an NFL 2 deep, you will die slowly but surely. “Some” is never enough. And IU never gets more than “some.” But he made us competitive.

He had sort of an “aggressive spirit“ (I’m trying to be nice) that got him in trouble here. Example - When everybody was asking about an injured RB who never played again, he said “You guys sure ask a lot about guys who don’t play - got any questions about the guys who do?” He also had a famous spat with Indianapolis radio guys who made jokes about our football history. He knew how to be “not nice.”

I met him 3 times. He was never “pleasant.” Very intense. His demeanor in interviews since then have shown a much more mellow dude. (It’s easy to worry less at Ahia State.)

For what its worth, I thought the abuse charges were BS. Others disagreed. Don’t believe everything you hear or read about that. By the time it arose, Wilson’s “aggressive spirit” had cost him friends in high places and gave them an excuse to bring in a new and less aggressive spirit.

Good luck. Enjoy.

Many can and will say bad things about Coach Wilson. I won’t. I hope all bad things are behind him, and wish him well. We were FUN TO WATCH when he had his guys on the field.

I hope you guys give hIm a big welcome and big support and things work out well.

On the field he was an offensive savant. He was hired to bring us “tempo” and it was off to the races. But your defense better be in shape. Quote - “what am I supposed to do? Tell my offense to make shorter gains? take more time to score?”

He got us some superior players - just not enough. In our league, if you don’t have an NFL 2 deep, you will die slowly but surely. “Some” is never enough. And IU never gets more than “some.” But he made us competitive.

He had sort of an “aggressive spirit“ (I’m trying to be nice) that got him in trouble here. Example - When everybody was asking about an injured RB who never played again, he said “You guys sure ask a lot about guys who don’t play - got any questions about the guys who do?” He also had a famous spat with Indianapolis radio guys who made jokes about our football history. He knew how to be “not nice.”

I met him 3 times. He was never “pleasant.” Very intense. His demeanor in interviews since then have shown a much more mellow dude. (It’s easy to worry less at Ahia State.)

For what its worth, I thought the abuse charges were BS. Others disagreed. Don’t believe everything you hear or read about that. By the time it arose, Wilson’s “aggressive spirit” had cost him friends in high places and gave them an excuse to bring in a new and less aggressive spirit.

Good luck. Enjoy.
Hope you're right. Having been an ex-Sooner coach he may get a bit more support from the media and fans here.

Good luck. Enjoy.
I find it ironic that your screen name is a quote from a fictional coach who was fired for striking a player.

Thanks for the good info.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Let's see how he does. We didn't have a SINGLE trick play under Monty's entire tenure here. Not one flea flicker, can't even remember an option toss... It was always jam it up the middle on runs, then attempt pocket protection passes (of course there was no pocket last year). I'm ready for some offensive imagination. I'll definitely be coming up for a few games in person to see how Mr. Wilson does with the team. Won't be worse than Monty, I don't think that's a possibility.

"Mean Coach" might bring some much needed discipline here. I think it's a fantastic hire plus I'm not worried about his IU record. Nebraska had an incredible winning tradition and can't make it in Big 10 with anyone at the helm, let alone a perennial struggler non-football school like IU. i'm shocked at some of the negativity here...but then again it's a TU fanbase so why should I be..even the "loyal" people are downers

Let's see how he does. We didn't have a SINGLE trick play under Monty's entire tenure here. Not one flea flicker, can't even remember an option toss... It was always jam it up the middle on runs, then attempt pocket protection passes (of course there was no pocket last year). I'm ready for some offensive imagination. I'll definitely be coming up for a few games in person to see how Mr. Wilson does with the team. Won't be worse than Monty, I don't think that's a possibility.
That something that always bugged me. Sometimes you need to do something different just to shake up the other team’s defense. I was watching the conference championship games this weekend and saw lots of different looks and plays including a halfback pass on a fake off tackle run. There were a ton of times a flea flicker or a fake punt could have helped us win a game or at least loosened up a defense but no it was ”off tackle for no gain” time and time again.

"Mean Coach" might bring some much needed discipline here. I think it's a fantastic hire plus I'm not worried about his IU record. Nebraska had an incredible winning tradition and can't make it in Big 10 with anyone at the helm, let alone a perennial struggler non-football school like IU. i'm shocked at some of the negativity here...but then again it's a TU fanbase so why should I be..even the "loyal" people are downers
Who ever would have guessed that Kevin Wilson would be the force of nature that we needed to get long-time fans onto the message board?? Guess Rick has his finger on the pulse of the quiet majority.

Good luck. Enjoy.
Sounds like Todd Graham … I like it !

I swear the culture needs to change on this board. Not everything is extreme left or extreme right. It's starting to feel like politics over here. Either you are 100% behind this hire or you are not a true hurricane fan!! Or this is the worst hire in the history of TU sports and if you don't think so then you are not a true Hurricane fan..... Ugh it's old!! People can have differing opinions! Do I think this is a home run hire? No... Do I think this is the worst hire ever? Absolutely not. I do understand why people are upset if you just look at records. However, they also need to take into account it's at Indiana. Look at their records for the last 10 coaches. He did better than most of them. Indiana does not invest like they should especially with the money they have. They are not investing in probably the toughest conference, where the other schools are investing. Yet he still put up a .500+ record a couple times there. His offenses have always been great. Can he do better in a conference where we are at least willing to compete with our peers!? I think he will. I just don't know if he has what it takes. We will see and I'm going to give him a chance.

Stop with this my way or the highway culture on this board. It's annoying. Your word isn't gold. Your opinion isn't golden.

I swear the culture needs to change on this board. Not everything is extreme left or extreme right. It's starting to feel like politics over here. Either you are 100% behind this hire or you are not a true hurricane fan!! Or this is the worst hire in the history of TU sports and if you don't think so then you are not a true Hurricane fan..... Ugh it's old!! People can have differing opinions! Do I think this is a home run hire? No... Do I think this is the worst hire ever? Absolutely not. I do understand why people are upset if you just look at records. However, they also need to take into account it's at Indiana. Look at their records for the last 10 coaches. He did better than most of them. Indiana does not invest like they should especially with the money they have. They are not investing in probably the toughest conference, where the other schools are investing. Yet he still put up a .500+ record a couple times there. His offenses have always been great. Can he do better in a conference where we are at least willing to compete with our peers!? I think he will. I just don't know if he has what it takes. We will see and I'm going to give him a chance.

Stop with this my way or the highway culture on this board. It's annoying. Your word isn't gold. Your opinion isn't golden.
Wilson never did better than .500 (6-6), the coach before Wilson and after Wilson have a better winning % at Indiana than Wilson, plus they both had winning seasons

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT