ADVERTISEMENT

Julian Hammond’s Grandson

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
I mentioned this some time back that Tulsa’s Julian Hammond has a grandson who’s a very good basketball and football player. He just committed to Colorado for basketball.

Cherry Creek two-sport star Julian Hammond III commits to CU Buffs basketball
TDP-L-CREEK-COLUMBINE_JAC0583x-1.jpg

From left to right, Cherry Creek football players Marcus Alexander (7), Julian Hammond (1), and Cooper Dyce (27) celebrate with fellow students after defeating the Columbine Rebels 35-10 winning the 5A Colorado State football championship at Empower Field at Mile High Dec. 07, 2019.
A day after one Cherry Creek High School senior committed to play for a school out of state, another decided to stay close to home.
Julian Hammond III, an all-state selection for the Bruins football and basketball teams, announced his commitment to the CU Buffs basketball program on Twitter early Saturday night.
Related Articles
“Blessed to announce that I am committed to continue my academic and athletic career at the University of Colorado! Thank you @CUBuffsMBB for the opportunity and every coach that has recruited me,” the 6-foot-2 guard tweeted.
Hammond has averaged 20-plus points per game in each of his past two seasons at Cherry Creek, including averages of 21.9 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.6 assists as a first-team Class 5A all-state pick in 2019-20. He was also the starting quarterback for last year’s Class 5A state championship team, compiling 2,354 yards and 28 touchdowns on 187-of-298 passing with only seven interceptions.
Hammond’s roots, however, are deeper on the basketball court. His grandfather, who goes by the same name, played forward for the Denver Rockets from 1967-72, averaging 10.8 points and 6.2 rebounds during his time in the ABA.
A day earlier, fellow Cherry Creek senior Al Ashford III committed to the Wisconsin football program. The 6-foot-1 cornerback chose the Badgers over several FBS programs, including Colorado, Colorado State, Washington State, Wyoming and North Carolina State.

How many former players are we going to watch their kids / grandkids go to different schools when we didn't offer them a scholly!

How many former players are we going to watch their kids / grandkids go to different schools when we didn't offer them a scholly!

I understand this one. His family roots are in Colorado, it's his local school. It would likely have been a "token" offer. I worry about local kids with family ties that we lose or don't even recruit.

The token offer matters there because it's both our local recruiting base and relationship with the community, as well as a "legacy". One of our biggest issues is we don't have direct connection to the community because of our small student body and the portion of that which is not local. 4k in a million don't mean much.

Our City is great, but we need to be detailed and not even offering local legacies is an issue just for that double connection of roots and community. Both are important for Tulsa being successful in recruiting players and fans.

Reactions: TU Sepp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT