ADVERTISEMENT

JR Reed

If we didn't have bad luck, we wouldn't have much luck at all....
Glad the young man ended up where he could thrive.

From Montgomery’s first signing class on defense:
JR Reed
Trevis Gipson
Reggie Robinson
Diamon Cannon
Cristian Williams
McKinley Whitfield

that’s an impressive group on a short timeline.
3 of those players will be in the NFL next year. Another will be playing in the CFL (Whitfield).

3 of those players will be in the NFL next year. Another will be playing in the CFL (Whitfield).
Williams injury issues will keep him out of any serious NFL interest. There’s also talk of a petition for a sixth year, which means he knows he has work to do on his game (and probably the class room).

Cannon is athletic and draws your attention but isn’t quite fast enough or quick enough.

Robinson is our best corner, but has been badly exposed against teams with NFL quality talent at receiver. His single coverage is a big reason TU’s defense has looked so good, we’ve been +1 in the box a lot because of him. But he doesn’t appear to have the tools for the big jump.

Reed and Gipson will get their shots. Whether either sticks will be numbers driven.

Williams injury issues will keep him out of any serious NFL interest. There’s also talk of a petition for a sixth year, which means he knows he has work to do on his game (and probably the class room).

Cannon is athletic and draws your attention but isn’t quite fast enough or quick enough.

Robinson is our best corner, but has been badly exposed against teams with NFL quality talent at receiver. His single coverage is a big reason TU’s defense has looked so good, we’ve been +1 in the box a lot because of him. But he doesn’t appear to have the tools for the big jump.

Reed and Gipson will get their shots. Whether either sticks will be numbers driven.
Robinson’s nose for the ball will draw a lot of attn. The 3rd down pass defensed last night on Houston’s only sustained drive was a fantastic play and also one that’s really difficult to defend. His INT against OkState is one of the best I’ve seen from a TU defender. Even the PI against him last night was a bit garbage as I don’t know how you can call pass interference on a player who’s not eligible to catch the ball (he stepped out of bounds and the line judge on that side threw his hat to signal that).

The difference in Gipson’s game from last year to this year is amazing. The techniques he learned at the Von Miller camp were put to good use. Show any game film isolated on him to any NFL referee and there’s a good chance they say he was held on about 80% of his snaps. For such a tall guy (6’5”) he has an incredible knack to get low and leverage under the tackle while maintaining his drive and speed. By my count he had a sack and 2 TFLs in the first 15 Houston snaps last night.

As for Christian Williams...I think they’re pretty sure he will get an extra season. I don’t recall them bringing him out during the senior recognition last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT