ADVERTISEMENT

Journalist from Saudi Arabia

cmullinsTU

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2006
I keep seeing a lot of articles about the journalist who was found dead in Turkey. Articles about senators accusing the prince and Trump blaming "rogue murderers". Honest question on this, why is this such big news in U.S. politics and breaking news in the U.S.?

I'm legitimately curious and not trying to say it isn't important, I just don't understand.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...i-consulate-in-istanbul-witness-idUSKCN1MQ05C

I keep seeing a lot of articles about the journalist who was found dead in Turkey. Articles about senators accusing the prince and Trump blaming "rogue murderers". Honest question on this, why is this such big news in U.S. politics and breaking news in the U.S.?

I'm legitimately curious and not trying to say it isn't important, I just don't understand.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...i-consulate-in-istanbul-witness-idUSKCN1MQ05C
Firstly, they're not accusing him of doing it. He did it.

Secondly it matters because it shows how the Saudi government our "ally" is again limiting (or eliminating) the freedoms of its citizens which goes counter to our American values. Kushner is a good friend of the Crown Prince... It's just not a good look for us to be buddying up to foreign governments that are torturing, murdering, and chopping journalists into little bits.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
It’s big news in the media because he was a journalist....period. Saudis killed one of their own in their Turkish embassy. My guess is that there is more to this story. Rumors of him possibly being a spy or at least working for people opposed to the current Saudi government

We’ve buddied up to the Saudis for decades due to geography and oil. Hell...they in part funded 9-11 and are one of the most regressive regimes as far as human rights in the world. Killing one of their own is small potatoes compared to the larger picture.

I don’t think there’s any doubt at this point the Saudis killed him. The question is why and to whom did he have ties. Regimes killing their political enemies is not uncommon across the globe and has gone on for thousands of years. Performing the act at an embassy is quite unusual. I would expect the Saudis to come out with a statement addressing the reasoning for his detention. They will say his killing was an accident imo.

As I said above, the killing of one of its citizens is small potatoes compared to their other acts. Acts which we have ignored for decades btw.

Well if a senator said it, it must be true.

Maybe CNN could dig up an anonomus source.

Well it is republican senators that are claiming it. I expected you to declare war on Saudi Arabia since it is coming from the Rs.

I don’t think there’s any doubt at this point the Saudis killed him. The question is why and to whom did he have ties. Regimes killing their political enemies is not uncommon across the globe and has gone on for thousands of years. Performing the act at an embassy is quite unusual. I would expect the Saudis to come out with a statement addressing the reasoning for his detention. They will say his killing was an accident imo.

As I said above, the killing of one of its citizens is small potatoes compared to their other acts. Acts which we have ignored for decades btw.

Your last paragraph is a big reason why I’m confused but admittedly my knowledge of politics and history as it relates to the Middle East is not the best.

Well it is republican senators that are claiming it. I expected you to declare war on Saudi Arabia since it is coming from the Rs.

The neo-con on my shoulder says yes, light it up

1X98.gif

So as of now it seems like we just have a Turkish official saying a tape exists. Do I have that right? We can go ahead and flatten every building in Saudi Arabia, but I don't know if blind trust in statements from the Turkish govt is the way to go.

Reactions: TUMe and cmullinsTU
Better Call Saul..or in this case Trump.

Saudi Prince gets caught, so calls Trump who for a big fee (described on TV today by Trump) sends Pompeo to clean up mess. Prince will likely claim interrogation got out of control?

Hey, dictators do this for each other...for a fee. BTW Kim is a really nice guy too.

Saudi Prince gets caught, so calls Trump who for a big fee (described on TV today by Trump) sends Pompeo to clean up mess. Prince will likely claim interrogation got out of control?

Hey, dictators do this for each other...for a fee. BTW Kim is a really nice guy too.

It was probably just a misunderstanding over a YouTube video about Mohammed....

But wait, Turkey doesn't have a nice guy leader either. Let Turkey and Saudi Arabia fight it out. However, if SA attacks T then, since they are a NATO member, we have to defend Turkey unless the yellow caution flag is out.

But wait, Turkey doesn't have a nice guy leader either. Let Turkey and Saudi Arabia fight it out. However, if SA attacks T then, since they are a NATO member, we have to defend Turkey unless the yellow caution flag is out.
“I will put you into the wall”

There is already a wall around all the embassies. You have to show papers to enter. If you don't have the correct papers, you wait "outside" until you get your papers.

Wow! What a concept.

Well, he's been back this morning and we've had two articles from the New York Times one article from the Washington Post and one from the New Yorker .All were fair and balanced.

I’m still unsure why we really care that the Saudis killed another Saudi? Something which is rather routine in that part of the world.

I’m still unsure why we really care that the Saudis killed another Saudi? Something which is rather routine in that part of the world.
I agree... although it just doesn't look good on their part. It's something a state like Iran, Russia, or NK would do pretty frequently. It's not quite as normal for western US allies.

The normalization and acceptance of Trump's love affair with and doing the bidding of dictators continues.

The normalization and acceptance of Trump's love affair with and doing the bidding of dictators continues.

And where was the last administration when the demonstrations were rocking Iran? Shaking hands with Hugo Chavez most likely.

The King has removed some power from the Crown Prince. As is pointed out we not only made nice with Iran but gave them money. They are the biggest threat in the area and involved in the slaughter in Syria. The act was horrid, not Cambodia horrid or Stalin horrid but still disgustingly bad. They need to recognize that. Russia was so clumsy with their attempt to kill a former spy that he not only lived but a number of Brits died. We no longer need Saudi Oil thanks to fracting but they are a key alley.

Of course the WaPo, thanks WATU3.0, is going to keep this going because 1. they are Democrats and 2. How dare anyone kill a NEWSMAN. Journalist are special people worth more than large numbers of normal people.

its Friday and this is still a non story. The same people pushing this story have sat silently by as Erogden has killed and jailed hundreds. Yet the left supports him and Turkey. No one in that area of the world is a good guy by our standards.

How many innocent people have we killed with drones in that part of the world in the last 15 years btw ?

Last edited:

Seems like Trumps war on the media continues. Do none of the people on the right side see why promoting candidates that physically assault media members could be a bad thing for the future of our country??

Don’t like it a bit. No reason for that kind of language imo. Will the Pubs war on the media and the media’s war in the Pubs ever end? Not good for the country or the media imo.

Don’t like it a bit. No reason for that kind of language imo. Will the Pubs war on the media and the media’s war in the Pubs ever end? Not good for the country or the media imo.
Equivocating physical violence against the media to a purported media bias against a political party isn't quite the same. One is a crime. One is not.

For example, I would absolutely tell Rush Limbaugh exactly what I thought of his fear mongering. But I wouldn't hit him.

Equivocating physical violence against the media to a purported media bias against a political party isn't quite the same. One is a crime. One is not.

For example, I would absolutely tell Rush Limbaugh exactly what I thought of his fear mongering. But I wouldn't hit him.

But encouraging people to confront people (ala Maxine Waters) leads to violence. Both sides need to chill out. Never felt the need to yell at someone having dinner with their family in a restaurant over politics. Seems rather extreme and their wife and kids are innocent. Yet people don’t care

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehil...-two-minnesota-republicans-report-attacks?amp

Last edited:
But encouraging people to confront people (ala Maxine Waters) leads to violence. Both sides need to chill out. Never felt the need to yell at someone having dinner with their family in a restaurant over politics. Seems rather extreme and their wife and kids are innocent. Yet people don’t care

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/campaign/411935-two-minnesota-republicans-report-attacks?amp
The kids are innocent. The wife married the schlub.

Also, it's a lot different when one side is encouraging people to use their voice and the other side is encouraging people to use their fists. And the kicker is that it came from the FRIGGIN PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. Can you imagine Ike or Reagan telling their constituencies that it was OK to physically attack their countrymen that they disagreed with.

I mean.... the shear amount of damage to the cachet of the office being done by this President is astounding. Guys like Johnson, Nixon, Clinton... none of them did any favors for the esteem of the office, but at least their issues tended to be private ones that came out publicly later. Trump is just blasting down walls of principle and integrity left and right... and on top of that he's lying just about every chance he gets. Also... too much golf.... or maybe... not enough? I can't decide.

Last edited:
The kids are innocent. The wife married the schlub.

Also, it's a lot different when one side is encouraging people to use their voice and the other side is encouraging people to use their fists. And the kicker is that it came from the FRIGGIN PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. Can you imagine Ike or Reagan telling their constituencies that it was OK to physically attack their countrymen that they disagreed with.

I mean.... the shear amount of damage to the cachet of the office being done by this President is astounding. Guys like Johnson, Nixon, Clinton... none of them did any favors for the esteem of the office, but at least their issues tended to be private ones that came out publicly later. Trump is just blasting down walls of principle and integrity left and right... and on top of that he's lying just about every chance he gets. Also... too much golf.... or maybe... not enough? I can't decide.

When right wing mobs start chasing liberal politicians and their families down in public and verbally and/or physically assaulted them we can talk. I don’t agree with Trump here btw. However, I seriously doubt we’re going to see a rash of Pub policians tracking down and assaulting reporters and their families in the coming weeks. That can’t be said for those taking the lead from the likes of Ms Waters and crew

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT