ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Wolff

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
Congrats to Josh Wolff being named as head coach of the expansion Austin franchise.

There was a time when he and Conor were the future of the USA up top, but neither quite made it. Conor with injuries and Josh just bad luck and some scuffed shots, but oh that dos a cero goal ...

Did they ever decide what they were gonna call themselves? I remember seeing some of their rough draft shields and all those damn hippies in Austin really liked this black one with a green tree on it. I said WTF is that? Some of the best graphic design and logos can be found in the late '70s NASL.

Campos was the most over blown over-rated GK I can remember. He had a lot of style but he often gave up goals that were questionable in nature. I can't disagree with what he did on the Wolff goal because GKs are taught to recognize that and staying back in the net makes you a sitting duck.

The timing of that run and to make sure he was on his own half of the field when it started. Lot of the 1994 holdovers still on that 2000 USMNT side

Reactions: HuffyCane
This game is a good example of the difference between US Soccer in 2000 and now.

The core of the 4th place Olympic team is on field, along with some hold overs from the 90/94ers. It’s Landon and Josh’s debut. They both scored to the shock of Mexico. I think Conor had one cap. Mathis maybe two. Contrasted with Meola, Agoos and others. You could see the speed and athleticism. You knew we were getting ready to be really good once Chris Albright and Chris Armas got healthy. Tricky Beas was just gravy.

Now, there’s no obvious signs of dominating talent or athleticism to take over for the old guys hanging on like Bradley and Jozy.

Reactions: quincy101
This game is a good example of the difference between US Soccer in 2000 and now.

The core of the 4th place Olympic team is on field, along with some hold overs from the 90/94ers. It’s Landon and Josh’s debut. I think Conor had one cap. Mathis maybe two. Contrasted with Meola, Agoos and others. You could see the speed and athleticism. You knew we were getting ready to be really good once Chris Albright and Chris Armas got healthy. Tricky Beas was just gravy.

Now, there’s no obvious signs of dominating talent or athleticism to take over for the old guys hanging on like Bradley and Jozy.

I'll disagree with the talent assessment for the current USMNT. Pulisic is in the top tier of worldwide players. Arriola is, IMO, very underrated. Weah is coming. Sargent is coming and Sargent is starting to show signs with Werder Bremen of having the ability to out muscle defenders for the ball and balancing it with great technical skill and finishing touch. We do lack some key replacements in places where you need someone with top talent (i.e. the 6 and Bradley) and that hole is pretty glaring.

DC United just turned down a $5 million transfer fee from an undisclosed Spanish side for a player they got on a free. People on here were telling me six months ago I was crazy for saying he can ball.

DC United just turned down a $5 million transfer fee from an undisclosed Spanish side for a player they got on a free. People on here were telling me six months ago I was crazy for saying he can ball.
Arriola? Didn't know he was targeted by a team. I think a lot of people under rate him because of his height but he is really a solid player who creates a lot of chances from the left side.

Reactions: drboobay
I'll disagree with the talent assessment for the current USMNT. Pulisic is in the top tier of worldwide players. Arriola is, IMO, very underrated. Weah is coming. Sargent is coming and Sargent is starting to show signs with Werder Bremen of having the ability to out muscle defenders for the ball and balancing it with great technical skill and finishing touch. We do lack some key replacements in places where you need someone with top talent (i.e. the 6 and Bradley) and that hole is pretty glaring.
We’ve had a lot of young strikers go to Germany and play really well for a season or two and they didn’t pan out. Jurgen Klopp once said Conor Casey will be the best American striker ever and signed him to a three year deal. And he was right ... until he got injured. He’s the last true 9 we’ve ever had. Through strength and eye discipline he could freeze two players, then run by a third. He was unstoppable in the air. He ticked all the boxes.

Ask any fan of the USMNT what they think of Conor and if they remember at all they will start laughing if they didn’t follow the team until the team success of 2008-2018. They weren’t around for his younger days. They remember him as fat and bald guy who bullied himself to a two goal game in Honduras when 4 other guys weren’t available. There’s an American Outlaws video on YouTube of the whole section chanting something like “Nobody Likes Conor Casey” And the Casey story is very common. That colors my outlook.

Sargent is an intriguing athletic player but there’s plenty missing. We don’t need another pipe crasher. We need guys that can absorb pressure, hold the ball, and move the ball down the field with two guys on their back kicking at their knees.

Weah is intriguing but also has some developing to do. His Dad has him where he’s at right now. Mckinnie and Adams can ball.

Arriola? Didn't know he was targeted by a team. I think a lot of people under rate him because of his height but he is really a solid player who creates a lot of chances from the left side.
Yeah. Arriola is gone. It’s just a question of price, the right club fit for the player, and how much DC will get to retain from the transfer fee paid to MLS. It’s hard to justify selling a player for a team on a playoff run if you only get pennies of the fee. It’s why Stu had to wait to leave Houston on a free and Bolton got the EPL player of the year according to one publication for nothing.

Yeah. Arriola is gone. It’s just a question of price, the right club fit for the player, and how much DC will get to retain from the transfer fee paid to MLS. It’s hard to justify selling a player for a team on a playoff run if you only get pennies of the fee. It’s why Stu had to wait to leave Houston on a free and Bolton got the EPL player of the year according to one publication for nothing.
MLS is a jacked up entity.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Did they ever decide what they were gonna call themselves? I remember seeing some of their rough draft shields and all those damn hippies in Austin really liked this black one with a green tree on it. I said WTF is that? Some of the best graphic design and logos can be found in the late '70s NASL.
Yeah. They went with the tree. I’m not totally sure why since Texas is obviously known for its trees.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley

Yeah, they’re yet another FC with a logo that belongs on a mid-shelf dispensary.

Don't I see Josh Wolff sitting on the USMNT bench assisting Beer?halter? Wonder if he'll stick there with the new job?

Good eye, but no He’s leaving the staff there.
Speaking of USMNT coaches, TU alum Terry Boss is one of Beerhalter's assistant coaches.

Speaking of USMNT, Eric Wynalda is the coach with the USL's Las Vegas Lights. They'll be at OneOK later in August.

For you youngun’s and those new to the USMNT.
Well, I'm neither young nor new to the USMNT, but I love me some dos a zeros. Those were the days that the Mexican crowds outnumbered the US fans by umpteen to one. Sure got sick of that.

Man, did Donovan & Wolff look like babies out there! I give Frogface some credit for recognizing really young talent & using it. Unfortunately, Beer?halter apparently doesn't have the same eye since we have at least 2 younguns from the U20's who could really help us. Of course I'm referring(again)to Alex Mendez-a center mid to replace Trapp & Bradley for the next, oh, 10-12 years, and Sebastian Soto on the flank. Both of these can score & proved it vs intl competition in recent U-20 WC. You know, SCORE-putting that round thing in the back of the ol' onion bag. Something we seem to lack against quality competition.

BTW, wasn't that Tulsa's own Joe Max Moore in Wolff's goal celebration above? What a nice career that kid had for the R,W&B.

Well, I'm neither young nor new to the USMNT, but I love me some dos a zeros. Those were the days that the Mexican crowds outnumbered the US fans by umpteen to one. Sure got sick of that.

Man, did Donovan & Wolff look like babies out there! I give Frogface some credit for recognizing really young talent & using it. Unfortunately, Beer?halter apparently doesn't have the same eye since we have at least 2 younguns from the U20's who could really help us. Of course I'm referring(again)to Alex Mendez-a center mid to replace Trapp & Bradley for the next, oh, 10-12 years, and Sebastian Soto on the flank. Both of these can score & proved it vs intl competition in recent U-20 WC. You know, SCORE-putting that round thing in the back of the ol' onion bag. Something we seem to lack against quality competition.

BTW, wasn't that Tulsa's own Joe Max Moore in Wolff's goal celebration above? What a nice career that kid had for the R,W&B.
Yes. That was Joe-Max.

Taylor Twellman keeps talking up a kid with Galaxy and the US needing to cap soon before he ends up in Mexico- something Alvarez maybe. I watched the Timbers-Galaxy match last night...quality stuff and some bad blood. I like watching these teams play with bad blood and creating some rivalries we can all get behind domestically. We need some Merseyside Derby type games, some Manchester Derby games, and whatever they call all the London derbies. I like the name given to the LA game “El Traffico”...it’s hilarious but that game was fun to watch.

And ‘ol frog face now has an 11 game unbeaten streak in New England.

Seriously Efraín Álvarez again? Twellman must be getting a kickback or hookers in Cancun from his agent. He’s 16 years old. He plays the 10 and does hold his own amongst grown men there but not as flashy as on the youth pitch. He may or may not be able to play a false nine which would be nice to have that on the bench since he’s left footed. But it doesn’t matter because we’ve penciled in ... how do you pronounce this name ... yeah Pulisic at this guys preferred position.

The kid wants to be a star and if you follow his story it’s all about him all the time. Which ain’t gonna work with Pulisic on the pitch.

His parents were both born in Mexico and moved to the USA for economic reasons. They consider themselves Mexican and they’ve both publicly stated they prefer the kid to play in Mexico. Every time the kid has a roster or call up issue somebody from his entourage gets on social media and says Mexico wants him more and LA or the USA hasn’t done this or that. Last week on Twitter, which I guess is what Twellman was talking about, his people get on there and start complaining about how Berhalter hasn’t reached out to him to try to convince him to join the team. Ignoring Berhalter talking at length about him in a press conference in March where he gave a series of coded answers that any savvy human would interpret as him telling him to shut up and decide who he wants to play for and that the staff isn’t going to go around recruiting dual nationals.

The kid is effing 16 years old and playing in USL with a couple of senior team call up cameos. He played U15s for the USA and was abruptly dropped from the U17 squad for undisclosed reasons. Waddya want to bet it was because his people were unbearable or he was already playing footsie with Mexico. He was a late injury addition to the U17 Mexico squad and didn’t play. He has publicly said he will play fir which ever side “gives me the best opportunity”. Eff that. Playing for the USA is an honor. It’s a recognition and you hold that trust sacred. I’ve had enough of the mercs.

And he thinks Berhalter should call him and ask him to join the USA. Which ain’t gonna happen, the instant he does that, Alvarez’s Dad will call Mexico and try to hamstring Berhalter comments into a senior team call up at Mexico before he has earned it.

Let him play and earn it and if he’s really that good, let’s talk in 3 years if he wants to play for the USA. And maybe we pass if he doesnt make the team significantly better and he’s only wanting to be a Yank because Mexico passed. Until then we have Christian.

Last edited:
Seriously Efraín Álvarez again? Twellman must be getting a kickback or hookers in Cancun from his agent. He’s 16 years old. He plays the 10 and does hold his own amongst grown men there but not as flashy as on the youth pitch. He may or may not be able to play a false nine which would be nice to have that on the bench since he’s left footed. But it doesn’t matter because we’ve penciled in ... how do you pronounce this name ... yeah Pulisic at this guys preferred position.

The kid wants to be a star and if you follow his story it’s all about him all the time. Which ain’t gonna work with Pulisic on the pitch.

His parents were both born in Mexico and moved to the USA for economic reasons. They consider themselves Mexican and they’ve both publicly stated they prefer the kid to play in Mexico. Every time the kid has a roster or call up issue somebody from his entourage gets on social media and says Mexico wants him more and LA or the USA hasn’t done this or that. Last week on Twitter, which I guess is what Twellman was talking about, his people get on there and start complaining about how Berhalter hasn’t reached out to him to try to convince him to join the team. Ignoring Berhalter talking at length about him in a press conference in March where he gave a series of coded answers that any savvy human would interpret as him telling him to shut up and decide who he wants to play for and that the staff isn’t going to go around recruiting dual nationals.

The kid is effing 16 years old and playing in USL with a couple of senior team call up cameos. He played U15s for the USA and was abruptly dropped from the U17 squad for undisclosed reasons. Waddya want to bet it was because his people were unbearable or he was already playing footsie with Mexico. He was a late injury addition to the U17 Mexico squad and didn’t play. He has publicly said he will play fir which ever side “gives me the best opportunity”. Eff that. Playing for the USA is an honor. It’s a recognition and you hold that trust sacred. I’ve had enough of the mercs.

And he thinks Berhalter should call him and ask him to join the USA. Which ain’t gonna happen, the instant he does that, Alvarez’s Dad will call Mexico and try to hamstring Berhalter comments into a senior team call up at Mexico before he has earned it.

Let him play and earn it and if he’s really that good, let’s talk in 3 years if he wants to play for the USA. And maybe we pass if he doesnt make the team significantly better and he’s only wanting to be a Yank because Mexico passed. Until then we have Christian.
Good to know. I don't think he gets a chance with Mexico anytime soon at that position either. They seem to have a good core and some younger players right behind them. I do like the Antuna kid. He's a tremendous player and plays with a ton of pace with the ball at his feet. I know he gave Zlatan a few opportunities the other night.

On Alvarez...is he better than Zardes?

Good to know. I don't think he gets a chance with Mexico anytime soon at that position either. They seem to have a good core and some younger players right behind them. I do like the Antuna kid. He's a tremendous player and plays with a ton of pace with the ball at his feet. I know he gave Zlatan a few opportunities the other night.

On Alvarez...is he better than Zardes?
Apple and oranges. He’s not a striker. If you want a comparison, he’s the second coming of Jose Torres at this point in his development.

This just in ... same story from Julian Araujo. 16 year old LA Galaxy II defender with 11 games under his belt in spot sub duty for the senior side who tells a podcaster that Berhalter has not called him and should call him soon because his parents want him to play for Mexico.

Like Alavrez who went with Mexico, he was also a late addition to the USA U20 World Cup roster when another player got injured. He did not play.

Still think Berhalter should be out on the recruiting trail puffing these kids up? 11 pro games and bench duty for the U20s and he thinks the senior team coach should call him and beg him to play for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT