ADVERTISEMENT

John Fetterman

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
I got interested in this Fetterman vs. Oz race and watched some of the debate, and then I've watched Fetterman on a couple other recent TV appearances. I've watched a man, Fetterman, who recently had a stroke and cannot put sentences together went put under pressure. I feel very sorry for him as a human being...the debate was very difficult to watch.

Some things I don't understand are (1) why he is still running, (2) why anyone would vote for someone with a recent stroke that is incapable of clear thought in tough situations and will not produce his medical records, (3) why would anyone vote for a guy that blatantly lied at the debate when confronted with his anti-fracking statements ("I don't support fracking at all) and then said, "I do support fracking...and...I don't, I don't...I support fracking, and I stand, and I do support fracking."

Please someone explain how he is still a viable candidate? And why in the world would Oprah Winfrey put her support behind someone that just blatantly lied on national TV and cannot think properly due to medical conditions? I mean really. I don't see a plausible explanation at all. This is mind-boggling.

I got interested in this Fetterman vs. Oz race and watched some of the debate, and then I've watched Fetterman on a couple other recent TV appearances. I've watched a man, Fetterman, who recently had a stroke and cannot put sentences together went put under pressure. I feel very sorry for him as a human being...the debate was very difficult to watch.

Some things I don't understand are (1) why he is still running, (2) why anyone would vote for someone with a recent stroke that is incapable of clear thought in tough situations and will not produce his medical records, (3) why would anyone vote for a guy that blatantly lied at the debate when confronted with his anti-fracking statements ("I don't support fracking at all) and then said, "I do support fracking...and...I don't, I don't...I support fracking, and I stand, and I do support fracking."

Please someone explain how he is still a viable candidate? And why in the world would Oprah Winfrey put her support behind someone that just blatantly lied on national TV and cannot think properly due to medical conditions? I mean really. I don't see a plausible explanation at all. This is mind-boggling.
Same sorts of questions I asked myself in 2016. The RNC opened a can of worms by saying they were willing to accept anyone despite their flaws.

Because the other guy is a $hitbag carpetbagger who wants to take away reproductive freedom and peddles witch doctor treatments. People recover from strokes, especially at that age. They don’t recover from evil, which Oz is.

How’s Hershel Walker working for ya?

Same sorts of questions I asked myself in 2016. The RNC opened a can of worms by saying they were willing to accept anyone despite their flaws.
Everyone has flaws, so every party is going to have to accept someone with some flaws. I don't think either party is just willing to accept anyone regardless of major health issues. I'm assuming you're referencing Trump, but he didn't have a stroke or have cognitive issues causing serious difficulty communicating, so it's not really the same sort of questions.

My question is why didn't the Democratic party in PA find a replacement for Fetterman after he had a stroke. Fetterman is obviously unfit from what I've seen, yet somehow the race is still close, which boggles my mind.

Because the other guy is a $hitbag carpetbagger who wants to take away reproductive freedom and peddles witch doctor treatments. People recover from strokes, especially at that age. They don’t recover from evil, which Oz is.

Not exactly sure how to respond, and why such an aggressive response? I'm asking a legit question that has zero to do with Dr. Oz or Hershel Walker. Sure, people recover from strokes, although they don't always recover fully, and Fetterman can't put complete sentences together, especially when pressured. At the debate, they asked him if he would produce his medical records, and he wouldn't answer the question. He has clearly been against fracking, saying so several times. They read his quotes to him, and then he just lies in broken english. I mean, it's craziness. Yet, 48 percent of people there are saying they are going to vote for that. I don't get it.

Not exactly sure how to respond, and why such an aggressive response? I'm asking a legit question that has zero to do with Dr. Oz or Hershel Walker. Sure, people recover from strokes, although they don't always recover fully, and Fetterman can't put complete sentences together, especially when pressured. At the debate, they asked him if he would produce his medical records, and he wouldn't answer the question. He has clearly been against fracking, saying so several times. They read his quotes to him, and then he just lies in broken english. I mean, it's craziness. Yet, 48 percent of people there are saying they are going to vote for that. I don't get it.
I agree with you on the fracking issue, and wouldn't vote for him that & other issues of policy. But he hasn't lost his cognitive ability, he has lost some of his ability to express himself, especially in a debate setting where you can't have silences.

I talked about this in several posts that I'll repost below. They are originally in the post about 'Pelosi's Husband'.

Yeah, I was talking bout her talking bout 2024 in my remark.

I think you can see this in a hyperextended manner, for the Dr Oz and Fetterman race. Dr Oz is not making statements about his stroke, but allows them from his campaign.

If this election happened in 2012/14, I honestly don't believe he would have let his campaign make remarks about his stroke. All civility from both sides has gone out the window from 2016 & onwards.

Not sure I agree with this. Fetterman is making statements about his stroke promising he will be better by January. If you watched the debate between the two it was fairly obvious that Fetterman currently is mentally challenged. I’m not sure I would make comments directly about the stroke but saying he is currently not mentally fit to serve as a Senator is certainly appropriate and probably fair. I’m not even sure mentioning the stroke is off limits either since Fettermen is talking about it and promising mental improvement.

The Dems were talking about Reagan’s diminished mental capacity 40 years ago. They were likely correct btw and I saw nothing wrong with them at the time.

Having gone through stroke recovery, I am seeing those promises as not that far fetched. He is already in much better shape than I was a year or two after the stroke. That he is having difficulty with things like aphasia, speech impediments, and hearing difficulty,(and quick translations between the three problems) causes him problems in public settings, but does not inhibit him from making rational and reasoned decisions when voting on a bill. I don't advocate him as a candidate.(Some of his views on things like fracing cause me to have problems with him.)

As a recovered stroke victim though, I feel fairly confident this won't inhibit him in the same ways as people are assuming from seeing him in a debate setting. The next few months will see him recover at a strong pace, just as much as he has recovered in the last five months. Recovery doesn't slow down until you hit year 2 to 3 after a stroke. At that point his recovery becomes more gradual.

And I know that Dr Oz knows all these things, at cause that it falls within his specialty. That's why I think he would be much less likely to allow his campaign to make these criticisms, and would have at least tamped them down some before 2016. If he were not running against him, his stated views on his possible recovery would be much more accepting, if asked.

I saw the problems as being much more serious for instance for Gabby Giffords.(Similar stroke like problems from being shot.)

I have been very bothered by Fetterman's situation, and how he was looked at after that debate. I want to get on my soap box for a minute longer. The problems he is having are much more superficial in nature, and cause difficulties in public speaking situations. And they are problems that can be gotten past when you are in a situation where there is a conversation between a few individuals.(For instance congressmen, lobbyists etc.) His problems are generally not cognitive in nature. My problems in the first five years(especially years 0-2) were much more cognitive in nature. I had to make recovery in these areas which don't seem to be his main problems.

I found an article which outlined a scale for disabilities which I can't find now. So I am going to put it in one word terms, and hopefully won't be that far off. He was placed in a lesser pronounced category 3 to a heavily pronounced category 4 by his doctors. Meaning he was in the transition between levels, and in a few months(3-6), he would move more definitively into category 4. At level 4 and 5, especially when your disabilities are not primarily cognitive in nature, this is something you can work around. His disabilities might cause him a slight problem in his first few months, but the more he is pushing himself mentally, the quicker he will recover. I would doubt he has any serious problems 3 or 4 months after his term had started.

1. Severe
2. Moderately Severe
3. Moderate
4. Partial
5. Mild
6. No disability

Stepping off soap box, after this excerpt...

Here is a doctor being interviewed with this as a specialty.(Dr Khullar)

...KHULLAR: So there's no question that he's recovered significantly over the past four or five months since he had the stroke. But, you know, as was obvious to anyone watching the debate yesterday and who've seen him on the campaign trail over the past couple of weeks, he still has some deficits. He has difficulty finding the right word or pronouncing the right word. And he also has auditory processing issues. And so he's not able to always hear words as clearly as he used to be able to. And he uses closed captioning to kind of read the words and then respond as he can.

CHANG: Right. But just to be clear, in terms of his, like, cognitive abilities, his ability to think, to make decisions, those abilities don't seem to be impaired, right?

KHULLAR: Yeah. As a doctor, you know, you never want to weigh in on someone that you haven't personally examined. But as far as we can tell, his intellectual abilities remain intact...

I agree with you on the fracking issue, and wouldn't vote for him that & other issues of policy. But he hasn't lost his cognitive ability, he has lost some of his ability to express himself, especially in a debate setting where you can't have silences.

I talked about this in several posts that I'll repost below. They are originally in the post about 'Pelosi's Husband'.
That's good information. The only real experience I have with stroke is my grandmother, and she couldn't speak or respond afterward and passed away within a couple of weeks. I've seen Fetterman talk pretty decently in other settings, like when he was on the view, but there was no pressure. My question is what are the possible issues when he's in pressure situations during senate floor debate and decision-making. If he's just fine or is going to be just fine, then why not turnover your medical records...that seems like common sense.

And I started this thread to talk about Fetterman being a viable candidate due to medical issues and just absolute blatant lying about his stance on fracking. It wasn't meant to be a Democrat vs. Republican thing.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
He’s still on the ballot because the stroke happened a few days before the primary. He had enough votes to get the nomination already cast as mail-in ballots. Just to be sure, the campaign lied to the public saying he had a minor health incident due to campaign fatigue and would “make a full recovery” up until election night. They immediately began to backtrack that as soon as he won.

They aren’t releasing his medical records because they know they will be caught in the lie that such a statement at the time was at best speculative.

He had until mid August to withdraw. Generally you have 85 days prior to a statewide federal race to withdraw and have a replacement named under whatever state party rules exist. In PA, the race isn’t retail. You don’t have to kiss babies at the fair. It’s won in the suburbs by wooing women, mainly white women, generally through the use of television ads.

His campaign kept telling people he was going to be fine and recovering quickly which hasn’t proven to be the case. But you can’t win PA without Dem fundraising money from outside the state. The folks that control that money see Oz as vulnerable and think/thought they could control the narrative via TV to reach and reassure swing voters and convince anyone who might question that strategy as beating up on the obese and elderly. Anyone inside the tent, like the three people who lost in the primary, were all told they wouldn’t get outside money if they pushed to have him removed.

So everybody got in line and went along with the lie in the drive to win an election or get back in power.

I’m sure people will get on here and disagree with me, but those are facts. The difference between their opinion and my facts is I’m pretty sure I’m the only person on this forum that’s worked a statewide federal campaign for money as a full time job. So disagree away, but you’ll end up looking like the guy that tried to argue offensive line fundamentals with Dre over on the pay board.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
I believe it’s fairly well understood his wife will be the defacto Senator until such time as he recovers or he doesn’t.

I believe it’s fairly well understood his wife will be the defacto Senator until such time as he recovers or he doesn’t because folks near to President Wilson and Eisenhower allowed such illegal charades to go on and now we are stuck with this dangerous custom with no basis in the constitution or statute.
FIFY

To Chris's post it is incredible how well he is polling. Says a lot about his opponent IMO.

I wonder if you might see some folks think twice about it once they have ballot in hand (or on screen).

That's good information. The only real experience I have with stroke is my grandmother, and she couldn't speak or respond afterward and passed away within a couple of weeks. I've seen Fetterman talk pretty decently in other settings, like when he was on the view, but there was no pressure. My question is what are the possible issues when he's in pressure situations during senate floor debate and decision-making. If he's just fine or is going to be just fine, then why not turnover your medical records...that seems like common sense.

And I started this thread to talk about Fetterman being a viable candidate due to medical issues and just absolute blatant lying about his stance on fracking. It wasn't meant to be a Democrat vs. Republican thing.
These are only my educated and experiential opinions, but I am a stroke survivor. So my opinions carry some weight. On your point with your grandmother(Chris) the younger you are and the better health you are in when the stroke happens the better your chances of recovery.(No matter which type.) I was 24 and in perfect health, and I had a hemorrhagic stroke. If it happened when I was 65, I would not be in the shape I am in. Your grandmother and Fetterman, probably had an ischemic stroke.

This is not exactly the definition of the types of stroke, but for current conversation it will simplify it, and suffice. A hemorrhagic stroke is from trauma to the brain.(football, car wreck, hammer blow, etc.) Ischemic comes from a bleed that occurs without any trauma, usually from health situations of age and/or self abuse of your body. tPA, if administered within the first 0-4 hours will cure all or many of the symptoms of an Ischemic stroke.(doesn't do anything for hemorrhagic stroke)

I imagine Fetterman got treated with tPA.

During the first couple of years it was really really rough. I had to rebuild my mental function almost from scratch. My surgeon saw me a few weeks from my surgery, and was dumbfounded that I was able to conjugate a full sentence. But it was a really simple sentence. Something like, 'I'm ok.' or 'Yes I can.'(in response to him)

He is starting out. way ahead of me. And the things he is dealing with as I said are superficial problems not cognitive. Remembering the word for an upright thing that a flag hangs from.(Pole) Or remembering the word for very talkative.(loquacious) It doesn't matter how simple or complex the word is, he will struggle to find either one. It is an association thing. This is aphasia when you know a word or name but can't remember the actual word.

The physical things will fix themselves quicker than the mental. Him hearing and comprehending is not exactly physical, but in certain respects it is. This will likely heal quicker than aphasia. The stuttering and difficulty saying words is physical in some respects as well. That will heal quicker. And as I said these are superficial difficulties, not cognitive.

The brain is thinking a thought, but frustrated that the superficial problem's are causing him to struggle in expressing them. You might not believe it, but that frustration is almost equal to the mental problems he will be having. It occupies a lot of time in your brain.

It took me a long time to reach 100% of what I would recover.(15 years) But the longer you get in your recovery the more gradual it gets. He has a lot less ground to cover, and easier tasks of recovery to cover. His recovery will likely be 95%-100%, when it's all said and done. That is speculative, but the odds are incredibly good. I'd say the odds of that kind of recovery are 80-90% accurate for most patients with his problems. He doesn't appear to have lost much if any, of his cognitive thinking.

I'm thinking his recovery will be 2-4 years, but the things he recovers during most of that time will be minor, and not intrinsic to him functioning as a congressman. Do I think he would have a tough first 3 or 4 months in office, yes. Do I think he could handle his job despite those problems, probably. (Not that it matters, but he could already be a better congressman than Herschel Walker even with the disabilities he presently has.)

Three months from now you will see a noticeable change, and during the next three an equally noticeable change. Yes it would be better if this happened to him six or eight months earlier. The disability would be easier to cover, and easier to work around. If he won, I would hope they would allow him to have an aid with him on the floor most of the time.(like his wife, or someone he hired) This would allow him to stay organized, and concentrate on the things of most importance.

Yes, before 2016, I would have said release your medical records, to let people understand your situation.
Now, I'm not so certain. It doesn't matter if he's Democrat or Republican, the other party would pore over those medical records and find something to hit him on over and over. It wouldn't matter if the point they were making was really an issue or not, they would run with it. Civility and a moral sense of what should be done or not done has gone out the window. So I understand his hesitance.

Do I want him to win? Yes and no. No because of some of his policy beliefs. Yes because it would help people to understand that someone can function coming off a recent stroke, depending on the disabilities they have. I don't think he would be a bad congressman based on mental performance.

Sorry for the novella.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to put this in. On my physical disabilities and how quickly they healed: The droop in part of my face disappeared in less than a week. The gait I had when I walked disappeared in 2 or 3 weeks. Likely the reason the hearing thing, and the stuttering thing have stayed with him so long is that they are partly physical and partly mental.

Carpetbagger?.. you mean like Senator Hillary Clinton?

These are only my educated and experiential opinions, but I am a stroke survivor. So my opinions carry some weight. On your point with your grandmother(Chris) the younger you are and the better health you are in when the stroke happens the better your chances of recovery.(No matter which type.) I was 24 and in perfect health, and I had a hemorrhagic stroke. If it happened when I was 65, I would not be in the shape I am in. Your grandmother and Fetterman, probably had an ischemic stroke.

This is not exactly the definition of the types of stroke, but for current conversation it will simplify it, and suffice. A hemorrhagic stroke is from trauma to the brain.(football, car wreck, hammer blow, etc.) Ischemic comes from a bleed that occurs without any trauma, usually from health situations of age and/or self abuse of your body. tPA, if administered within the first 0-4 hours will cure all or many of the symptoms of an Ischemic stroke.(doesn't do anything for hemorrhagic stroke)

I imagine Fetterman got treated with tPA.

During the first couple of years it was really really rough. I had to rebuild my mental function almost from scratch. My surgeon saw me a few weeks from my surgery, and was dumbfounded that I was able to conjugate a full sentence. But it was a really simple sentence. Something like, 'I'm ok.' or 'Yes I can.'(in response to him)

He is starting out. way ahead of me. And the things he is dealing with as I said are superficial problems not cognitive. Remembering the word for an upright thing that a flag hangs from.(Pole) Or remembering the word for very talkative.(loquacious) It doesn't matter how simple or complex the word is, he will struggle to find either one. It is an association thing. This is aphasia when you know a word or name but can't remember it.

The physical things will fix themselves quicker than the mental. Him hearing and comprehending is not exactly physical, but in certain respects it is. This will likely heal quicker than aphasia. The stuttering and difficulty saying words is physical in some respects as well. That will heal quicker. And as I said these are superficial difficulties, not cognitive.

The brain is thinking a thought, but frustrated that the superficial problem's are causing him to struggle in expressing them. You might not believe it, but that frustration is almost equal to the mental problems he will be having. It occupies a lot of time in your brain.

It took me a long time to reach 100% of what I would recover.(15 years) But the longer you get in your recovery the more gradual it gets. He has a lot less ground to cover, and easier tasks of recovery to cover. His recovery will likely be 95%-100%, when it's all said and done. That is speculative, but the odds are incredibly good. I'd say the odds of that kind of recovery are 80-90% accurate for most patients with his problems. He doesn't appear to have lost much if any, of his cognitive thinking.

I'm thinking his recovery will be 2-4 years, but the things he recovers during most of that time will be minor, and not intrinsic to him functioning as a congressman. Do I think he would have a tough first 3 or 4 months in office, yes. Do I think he could handle his job despite those problems, probably. (Not that it matters, but he could already be a better congressman than Herschel Walker even with the disabilities he presently has.)

Three months from now you will see a noticeable change, and during the next three an equally noticeable change. Yes it would be better if this happened to him six or eight months earlier. The disability would be easier to cover, and easier to work around. If he won I would hope they would allow him to have an aid with him on the floor most of the time.(like his wife, or someone he hired) This would allow him to stay organized, and concentrate on the things of most importance.

Yes, before 2016, I would have said release your medical records, to let people understand your situation.
Now, I'm not so certain. It doesn't matter if he's Democrat or Republican, the other party would pore over those medical records and find something to hit him on over and over. It wouldn't matter if the point they were making was really an issue or not, they would run with it. Civility and a moral sense of what should be done or not done has gone out the window. So I understand his hesitance.

Do I want him to win? Yes and no. No because of some of his policy beliefs. Yes because it would help people to understand that someone can function coming off a recent stroke, depending on the disabilities they have. I don't think he would be a bad congressman based on mental performance.

Sorry for the novella.
The issue isn’t as much the medical infirmity, and that’s an issue, it’s the lying. The deliberate attempt to conceal the truth or evade any facts being disclosed they can’t control. And it’s led to nonsense. I honestly thought the stroke thing was a desperation ploy by the Oz people from afar. Either he would be fine or drop out. Cover up or being disingenuous never really occurred to me. Until I watched that ridiculous press conference where he simultaneously claims she saved his life and she refuses to revise her previous statements to the press where she called what she knew was a stroke at the time a “[health] hiccup” and he would fully recover in a few days. It is brilliant putting her out there as the hero though. Probably isn’t going to work though. It’s going to be a blood bath nationwide and Oz will squeak through.

Y’all think social division and civil discourse is in the toilet now? Wait until we got another 3 years of young couples having babies who can’t buy houses in nice school districts because mortgage payments doubled and their grandma calls up complaining about the taste of dog food and asking if they have any spare baby food they can give her the infant won’t eat. People grossly underestimate the damage of the last two years. It’s going to get worse and be around for a decade or longer. And the Dems will punished for it. Reagan and Bush weren’t in power because of their good looks or economic policies. They won mostly because the alternative was known: inflation, higher taxes, unrealistic energy policy. What’s on the menu for the next three cycles?

Everyone has flaws, so every party is going to have to accept someone with some flaws. I don't think either party is just willing to accept anyone regardless of major health issues. I'm assuming you're referencing Trump, but he didn't have a stroke or have cognitive issues causing serious difficulty communicating, so it's not really the same sort of questions.

My question is why didn't the Democratic party in PA find a replacement for Fetterman after he had a stroke. Fetterman is obviously unfit from what I've seen, yet somehow the race is still close, which boggles my mind.
Have you ever heard the man speak. We're not talking about, "well I think I'll vote for him even though he's divorced" Or "I'll vote for him even though he had a DUI 20 years ago...."

In any case. Fetterman is a good candidate when he's healthy, and he is likely to recover from the medical scare that he had. The fact that he's done as well as he had in as little time since the event is pretty astounding. While Fetterman is likely recover from his malady, Trump and many of his ilk who are still running and being elected, haven't shown any signs that they will recover from their issues of poor character and poor citizenship.

Last edited:
Reactions: watu05
The issue isn’t as much the medical infirmity, and that’s an issue, it’s the lying. The deliberate attempt to conceal the truth or evade any facts being disclosed they can’t control. And it’s led to nonsense. I honestly thought the stroke thing was a desperation ploy by the Oz people from afar. Either he would be fine or drop out. Cover up or being disingenuous never really occurred to me. Until I watched that ridiculous press conference where he simultaneously claims she saved his life and she refuses to revise her previous statements to the press where she called what she knew was a stroke at the time a “[health] hiccup” and he would fully recover in a few days. It is brilliant putting her out there as the hero though. Probably isn’t going to work though. It’s going to be a blood bath nationwide and Oz will squeak through.

Y’all think social division and civil discourse is in the toilet now? Wait until we got another 3 years of young couples having babies who can’t buy houses in nice school districts because mortgage payments doubled and their grandma calls up complaining about the taste of dog food and asking if they have any spare baby food they can give her the infant won’t eat. People grossly underestimate the damage of the last two years. It’s going to get worse and be around for a decade or longer. And the Dems will punished for it. Reagan and Bush weren’t in power because of their good looks or economic policies. They won mostly because the alternative was known: inflation, higher taxes, unrealistic energy policy. What’s on the menu for the next three cycles?
That is not a Democratic or a Republican problem. Mortgage payments were expensive no matter what interest rate was available. The only difference would be that you had a bigger principal vs paying more money to the bank.

My wife out lived her major stroke by 9 1/2 years....We very vigorously rehabbed her
in a major (hospital) rehab facility for the first six years.....Every doctor involved said
that the major portion of recovery would occur the first six to eight months following
the stroke
....Sadly, that was exactly what occurred....Speech, physical capacity, mental
recovery, etal......During the rehab process I visited with many other stroke victims and
their care takers.....Their recovery experience was very similar....

There is a high percentage chance that Fedderman has already had the major part of
what his total recovery will be....

I hope he does recover completely, or at least enough to regain his speech and
awareness.....I really feel emphatic for his care givers....That is a very, very tough row
to hoe...

I've been there and done that....

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
Fetterman is able to memorize talking points and answers to questions he knows will be asked. He had no ability to process questions which he hadn’t been prepped. Unless he sees dramatic improvement he will be a figure head with others dictating policy and decision making. Pretty simple imo.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Fetterman is able to memorize talking points and answers to questions he knows will be asked. He had no ability to process questions which he hadn’t been prepped. Unless he sees dramatic improvement he will be a figure head with others dictating policy and decision making. Pretty simple imo.
Iow, unfit for office.

That was something else I wondered about was why his caregivers thought it was a good idea for him to attend that debate. Anyway, thanks for the additional info, senior...good stuff.
Because there was pressure on him to go to the debate. Both he and his caregivers probably didn't think it was a good idea. I have a feeling that both he and his caregivers resigned themselves to doing it, and hoped for the best. Stress causes you to perform worse than your actually capable of, and they knew that. Those non cognitive problems he had appear worse to the general public than they actually are. But they felt if they didn't go, he might lose.

My wife out lived her major stroke by 9 1/2 years....We very vigorously rehabbed her
in a major (hospital) rehab facility for the first six years.....Every doctor involved said
that the major portion of recovery would occur the first six to eight months following
the stroke
....Sadly, that was exactly what occurred....Speech, physical capacity, mental
recovery, etal......During the rehab process I visited with many other stroke victims and
their care takers.....Their recovery experience was very similar....

There is a high percentage chance that Fedderman has already had the major part of
what his total recovery will be....

I hope he does recover completely, or at least enough to regain his speech and
awareness.....I really feel emphatic for his care givers....That is a very, very tough row
to hoe...

I've been there and done that....
Edited

They now say 2 to 3 years for major recovery following the stroke.(not 6-8 mo) They also now know your recovery,(though more gradual) continues on for many more years after that, if you live that long. These figures were not the figures given to me when I had my stroke in '94. They have been changed, and I am living proof of that, because I know my major rehab lasted longer than 6-8 mo., and that I continued to rehab 13-15 years after.(not the 7-8 yrs they told me) Age is a big factor.

Treatments, rehab, and medical knowledge has come a long way, due to several wars the world has been involved in. Sadly a war improves our progress every time one happens. IED explosions provide learning experiences, and additional studies on them. And the age you have the stroke at will also affect the time it takes you to make your major recovery. Rehab, based on your problems, what age you are, how much recovery you are capable of, etc affects your time in rehab.

Everybody who has a stroke is different. Depends on the damage done,(the longer you go without treatment the worse it is) where on the brain it was occuring, how old the person is, what kind of health they are in, etc. My in house rehab was 3 or 4. mo., and my out of facility rehab was two years. But that was largely because of my youth and healing faculties. I seriously doubt his recovery is anywhere close to over. All doctors today will give you different #'s than when your wife had the stroke. His age will be a huge factor. He is only 53. Most people who have experience with a stroke have not been around someone who had a stroke earlier in life.

When did your wife have the stroke, and what age was she? Did she get tPA? Was it a hemmorhagic stroke?

I really want to know these questions. I didn't pose them as rhetorical @seniorgolfer.

Sorry for you & your wife's difficulties, I empathize.

Last edited:
Reactions: astonmartin708
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT