ADVERTISEMENT

Jake McGuire

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
Congrats to the next Tulsa goalkeeper to be invited to the MLS Combine. The pipeline continues ...

The Dynamo still own his rights, but they have given him permission to train elsewhere for the remainder of the season, it is my understanding. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. He spent some time with the Union in at the end of training camp, but they have two homegrown keepers from their academy on roster that don't count against the salary cap. Andre Blake is the starter and he'll probably be the No.1 for a decade for there and Jamaica. Not sure if Jake is going to make it.

This is what really frustrates me about MLS. If you look at Philly's roster it is a murderers row of washed up players that have hung around MLS forever. Onweyu, Edu, Charlie Davies. Meanwhile good prospects like McGuire can't get a place to train.

Same thing happened to Jay DeMerit. He came out of school, there was no place for him at the Fire with a veteran stacked roster of marginal players and he was out of soccer. It took two years to get a pub league in England to look at him, but once that happened, he was in the premier league and the usmnt two seasons later.

Or worse, players like Yura Movsisyan who was the offensive strength of Salt Lake the year they won the cup but was a young player. They offered him $65,000 after the season. He said no thsnks, went to Europe and was playing Champions League two years later making $8 million a season. He is a US citizen. He grew up here. He could have been scoring goals for the US and making MLS strong. Instead, he left and scored goals for his Russian club and Armenia, where he also holds a passport. Meanwhile, Salt Lake threw money at a foreign player, Sabario, who went into decline.

UGH. I love the league, but situations like this are frustrating. Rant over.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
I love me some Jay DeMerit. That guy had so much heart. I have his DVD. Pretty cool to see footage of his years in England. I never did find the DVD that was supposed to document the USMNT 2002 WC run.

Wonder if Jake would consider TRFC and Chicago. If you haven't seen the Roughnecks in any of their exhibition matches, they are much improved over last year with some much improved speed in the back (Achilles' heel the last 2 seasons), and Svantesson at striker will make Sammy Ochoa seem pedestrian. They beat Chicago the other day 2-1...I understand Chicago wasn't using a full MLS roster, but a lot of those guys that did play will likely be kept and loaned to Tulsa for development.

Yeah, when you are having a bad day, just turn on Rise and Shine and your problems melt away. That guy should have a Disney movie about his life, and we don't even see in the documentary the smoking hot wife and huge house he wound up with after he largely gave away most of his Watford money to family and friends in need.
url-3.jpg

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT