ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the future of College Basketball ?

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
WACO, Texas -- National champion Baylor is adding another transfer guard.

Coach Scott Drew said Tuesday night that Dale Bonner has signed with the Bears after leading Division II Fairmont State in scoring, assists and steals in each of his past two seasons at the school in West Virginia.

It appears that small D-1 schools with exceptional players and D2 and NAIA schools with exceptional players who signed sleepers are now being penalized as larger schools rush in to sweep them away after all the recruiting effort and money by the small schools. Don't believe for a minute that these small school players weren't recruited away secretly and entered the portal AFTER knowing who wanted them.

Reactions: JesseTU and Tu Geo
Shady stuff and Scott Drew go together. He’s been down that road before.

Did you ever think that the kid might have been a none qualifier the first go round!

What's going to end NCAA sports for good.... Paying athletes beyond the $250k-$500k they already get for free room, board and tuition, etc... and the degrees they can obtain to leverage a higher paying job post playing days. AND the inevitable UNIONS formed as a result. That's gonna sink it all for sure.

The left ruins everything. Sports too.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
What's going to end NCAA sports for good.... Paying athletes beyond the $250k-$500k they already get for free room, board and tuition, etc... and the degrees they can obtain to leverage a higher paying job post playing days. AND the inevitable UNIONS formed as a result. That's gonna sink it all for sure.

I thought the greed of the right ruined everything. 🤣

Don't believe for a minute that these small school players weren't recruited away secretly and entered the portal AFTER knowing who wanted them.
It’s my understanding, based on reputable reporting, that several schools already have former players being paid by off campus sources, to troll the transfer portal and make contact with possible transfers as well as scout lower divisions and make social media contacts with emerging players. It’s becoming well known that if you want to transfer to X University, you gotta go through Johnny Washedup or Jimmy Cantcoachduetofelony. Care to bet on whether money is exchanged? It’s just a matter of time until the players will be giving up the money they earn under new NCAA rules to have these gatekeepers get their stuff in front of coaches. Some are suggesting that already occurs.

In football, Ohio State has increased their non coaching staff in house recruiting department to somewhere around 13 people at this point to deal with the portal and talent ID. Most of that money is spent on making sure Alabama and Clemson don’t sign certain players, mostly 5 star guys. Now they are focusing on Saban and Swinney not getting the Zavens of the next two years through the portal. And that’s in addition to offensive operations to sign those same players through on campus and off campus efforts.

Last edited:
It’s my understanding, based on reputable reporting, that several schools already have former players being paid by off campus sources, to troll the transfer portal and make contact with possible transfers as well as scout lower divisions and make social media contacts with emerging players. It’s becoming well known that if you want to transfer to X University, you gotta go through Johnny Washedup or Jimmy Cantcoachduetofelony. Care to bet on whether money is exchanged?

In football, Ohio State has increased their non coaching staff in house recruiting department to somewhere around 13 people at this point to deal with the portal and talent ID. Most of that money is spent on making sure Alabama and Clemson don’t sign certain players, mostly 5 star guys. Now they are focusing on Saban and Swinney not getting the Zavens of the next two years through the portal. And that’s in addition to offensive operations to sign those same players through on campus and off campus efforts.
We already know it is being exchanged based on coaches being charged in federal court and the the NCAA coming down on those schools (sort of). The NCAA hasn't levied punishments against Louisville, Kansas, Arizona, and is waiting to hear OSU's appeal because once the NIL stuff passes and goes into effect, it basically makes all the formerly illegal recruiting stuff not that big a deal. If they wait, they can just brush it aside...however, you know if Haith and TU had gotten a kid $1000 (far less than the Ayton $100k rumored), the NCAA would have shut the program down.

We already know it is being exchanged based on coaches being charged in federal court and the the NCAA coming down on those schools (sort of). The NCAA hasn't levied punishments against Louisville, Kansas, Arizona, and is waiting to hear OSU's appeal because once the NIL stuff passes and goes into effect, it basically makes all the formerly illegal recruiting stuff not that big a deal. If they wait, they can just brush it aside...however, you know if Haith and TU had gotten a kid $1000 (far less than the Ayton $100k rumored), the NCAA would have shut the program down.
Right. We know that. The new twist is paying people to pay players who have already signed and played for other teams. The sport is Lord of the Flies right now.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
Right. We know that. The new twist is paying people to pay players who have already signed and played for other teams. The sport is Lord of the Flies right now.
College sports recruiting is more openly dirty right now than in my (very long) memory....The
saddest part of that is the primary driver of that 'vehicle out of hell', is the NCAA changing
all the rules to appease its largest members.....

The NCAA fears the 'big 5' will break away and form their own association.....The NCAA is even
reluctant to enforce what few rules that remain against any 'big 5' institution....

There seems to be an eerie similarity between police shielding their view against a witnessed
crime for fear of getting in trouble if they do anything about it, and the NCAA doing the same
thing against the 'biggies'...

But, the policeman's plight is understandable....No one, including his superiors, has his back....
The NCAA's problems seem to me to be self-inflicted....Their compliance enforcement was
always skewed toward the 'bigs', and those Swallows, including their droppings, have finally
come home to roost....

What you can create with a pen can't always be reversed by reverting to the old rules....The
poaching of other's rosters has always been with us to some degree, but had to be carried
out on the Q.T. before the portal was invoked....Now it seems, it is open season on everyone,
portal or not......Is this an unintended consequence? Hmmm.....I dunno..

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane

So you are bitching about greed that these players are making and then start bitching about unions and then somehow this is the left...interesting....very interesting.

Wouldn't this kind of imply that a wide open free market system is the problem based on what you are describing? In the big leagues, they pay more for better players right? It is probably true that a ton of these kids could get more money from either A) Schools or B) some "nefarious" alum that wants to pay the student athlete/recruit to come to their university since they are worth a whole lot money to produce wins.

As much as I love the fun of college sports and pageantry of it, men's college basketball and football have served as free minor leagues for the NBA and NFL. It has greatly benefited the universities to an extent but it operates in a weird grey zone of amateurism. Frankly, if these coaches can negotiate contracts for 10s of millions, why shouldn't the great student athletes be allowed to negotiate their pay too?

I love how the university admins and coaches who are paid millions are like you should be thankful. Now shut your mouth, give us wins, let us end your scholarship at will while we earn our millions.

It is kind of a joke.

College sports recruiting is more openly dirty right now than in my (very long) memory....The
saddest part of that is the primary driver of that 'vehicle out of hell', is the NCAA changing
all the rules to appease its largest members.....

The NCAA fears the 'big 5' will break away and form their own association.....The NCAA is even
reluctant to enforce what few rules that remain against any 'big 5' institution....

There seems to be an eerie similarity between police shielding their view against a witnessed
crime for fear of getting in trouble if they do anything about it, and the NCAA doing the same
thing against the 'biggies'...

But, the policeman's plight is understandable....No one, including his superiors, has his back....
The NCAAs problems seem to me to be self-inflicted....Their compliance enforcement was
always skewed toward the 'bigs', and those Swallows, including their droppings, have finally
come home to roost....

If they do, there should be a serious look given to the status of these athletic departments as non-profits entities.

The solution isn’t to make the market more open for athletes and coaches... it’s to make the schools unaffiliated with pro sports. There is no reason for any academic institution to sponsor a professional sports team. Make it like the European model and affiliate the sporting clubs with the pro teams. College baseball players don’t complain about this because they have like 7 opportunities to be drafted and they can always go play in the minors if they want to. For 90% of college athletes a full scholarship is more than enough return for their efforts.

The NCAA needs to sue the NFL and NBA to allow players to enter drafts immediately from high school. It would only effect a small number of players and it would allow colleges to maintain amateurism instead of having to pay these star players for 1-2 year rentals.

Last edited:
The solution isn’t to make the market more open for athletes and coaches... it’s to make the schools unaffiliated with pro sports. There is no reason for any academic institution to sponsor a professional sports team. Make it like the European model and affiliate the sporting clubs with the pro teams. College baseball players don’t complain about this because they have like 7 opportunities to be drafted and they can always go play in the minors if they want to. For 90% of college athletes a full scholarship is more than enough return for their efforts.

The NCAA needs to sue the NFL and NBA to allow players to enter drafts immediately from high school. It would only effect a small number of players and it would allow colleges to maintain amateurism instead of having to pay these star players for 1-2 year rentals.
Well said.

I actually think the big P5 schools should separate their Athletic Departments from the schools and acknowledge their Pro Status.

Almost everyday i pass the sports facilities at OU. If there wasnt boatloads of money being made those wouldnt exist.

They need to be separated and taxed. The most expensive real estate and buildings in Cleveland County are centers of tax free revenue and untaxed real property.

Well said.

I actually think the big P5 schools should separate their Athletic Departments from the schools and acknowledge their Pro Status.

Almost everyday i pass the sports facilities at OU. If there wasnt boatloads of money being made those wouldnt exist.

They need to be separated and taxed. The most expensive real estate and buildings in Cleveland County are centers of tax free revenue and untaxed real property.
I would also talk to the MLB about filing a friend of the court brief with the NCAA. Why should the MLB have to help fund level upon level of A, AA, AAA clubs when the NFL and NBA get to suck up all the major league profits while never giving a dime to fund the salaries of their developmental players? It puts baseball at a disadvantage in the ability to compete for constructing new stadiums, funding new major league clubs, etc... if the state legislators want these star players to be paid, then the star players should be paid by the major leagues that are inevitably going to benefit from their development in the college ranks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT