ADVERTISEMENT

Is 4G better than 3G?

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
The obvious answer seems to be yes. But is it really.? I bought a new phone that happens to be 4G. Of course, just by being newer the phone is more whiz-bang.

But how much of the user experience is determined by the speed of the tower/phone signal? What about the computer inside the phone,and if you go to a website how much is determined by the speed of the webste?

I guess I am asking, if I drive to OKC will I get there any quicker in a car that will do 180 mph than one that will do 120 mph.

In this case yes. You could have two phones that are exactly the same but one is 3g and one is 4g. Same computer inside, same tower being used. The 4g will out work the 3g one as it average speed clocks in higher. Using your anology, two cars exactly the same but someone removed the restrictor plate off one. One goes 120mph max and the other 180mph max. If they both go 60 mph the whole way it doesnt matter, however if one set cruise control at 60 mph and the other at 70mph then there is a huge difference. Neither goes the max speed allowed but one averages itself out at a higher speed.

I have no idea what's being talked about, but I have a 2006 or 07 blackberry, which I believe is 3G or less, and I can barely make phone calls in my own home b/c I live close to downtown. Technology and the constant upgrades = frolicking gheyness. Don't even try to make a call during rush hour b/c all the people driving in or out of downtown are yapping on their cell phones instead of paying attention to their :crap:ty driving skills.

Sincerely, Cranky Old Man

4G is smokin fast if your surfing, FB'ing, streaming movies or music, or downloading. Otherwise, you likely won't notice a lick of difference.

The tower is key for those speeds. If you're out in the boonies and can only connect to an edge tower than your speeds will be... s l o w. If you connected to 3G they'll be pretty fast. If a 4G tower is nearby you're blazing.

The speed of the processor and memory on the phone plays a role in how quick the applications open, close, play, switch, etc.
The power of the phones reciever also plays a role in how well it capture cell tower signals. Some phones have weak recievers that when on the border between 3G and 4G may only be able to pick up the 3G signal.

The speed of the network to the website and the response of the websites server are obviously key as well.

A fast phone can't fix a slow network or slow web server.
A fast webserver can't fix a slow network or phone.
A fast network cant't fix a slow phone or webserver.

You're only as fast as your slowest link ;o)

4G phones offer a definite upgrade in technology, however it will only show if the provider is offering 4G service to your area. I am not sure if Tulsa has been upgraded to 4g services yet!

Based on my scientific tests, 4G is approximately 33% more Gs than 3G.

But the number of Gs isn't the only question - the right number of Gs is different for each person, so you have to find exactly the right number of Gs for you. The perfect number of Gs for you is sometimes called your G Spot. People often mistakenly believe that hitting the G Spot is all about speed, but it's not. Sometimes to hit your G Spot you want it to be slow and methodical instead of fast (like when you're downloading several pictures). Placement of your hand on the phone also matters, and you'll have trouble finding your G Spot if you have your hand wrong, Slowly move your hand around until you find just the right place. Sometimes switching to vibrate mode helps in finding your G Spot. Get your mouth very close, too, proper placement is key for finding the G Spot. Research has shown large gender differences. Men are addicted to surfing and will do it any time, any place. In fact, they really don't care about finding the G Spot at all. Women, on the other hand, are more discriminating and like to surf for relationship matters (like finding friends on Pinterest). For them, finding the G Spot is quite important. The lesson is, always talk to your lady about how best to find the G Spot and don't forget to work at it.

Thanks for your analysis Leon. I was wondering if G refers to gravity. Is a 4g really that much heavier than a 3g? If my messages approach the speed of light they should increase in mass. Would a very long very fast message make my phone too heavy in my pocket?

The higher the number of Gs, the more $$$ for your phone provider. Most are now limiting data plans, and between the 4G and HD experience of the newer devices, you'll burn through your plan faster.

Originally posted by TU Sepp:
4G phones offer a definite upgrade in technology, however it will only show if the provider is offering 4G service to your area. I am not sure if Tulsa has been upgraded to 4g services yet!
Tulsa has 4G but I don't know the coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT