ADVERTISEMENT

inform me again please

Bixby and Owasso?
Shoot...he short changes the quality of HS football in the immediate Tulsa area by only saying two. I'd go as much as six in terms of quality players any given year. Owasso, Broken Arrow, Bixby, Union, Jenks, and BTW (do they have any more Locketts coming any time soon?) Go 25 miles and you get to Wagoner and they've got some great athletes there.

Shoot...he short changes the quality of HS football in the immediate Tulsa area by only saying two. I'd go as much as six in terms of quality players any given year. Owasso, Broken Arrow, Bixby, Union, Jenks, and BTW (do they have any more Locketts coming any time soon?) Go 25 miles and you get to Wagoner and they've got some great athletes there.

Yep!

No, I'm not short changing anyone. Jenks and Union are not secrets, they have games on ESPN year after year.

Bixby, Broken Arrow, Owasso, haven't had the national consistent success of Jenks and Union who have dominated the state title since 1996 meaning there are college head coaches who have heard of Union and Jenks for 20+ years and even some who have never known a time when those programs weren't good because those coaches are in their thirties.

BTW is also a juggernaut that doesn't get the sort of ESPN coverage but coaches know is historically going to produce, like Jenks and Union.

My point being if national coaches come here for talent in our backyard, then we should probably be looking in our backyard too. OU/Stoops built national championship caliber teams off the best Oklahoma kids and getting some good recruits from Texas. OSU has built a program of national prominence based on the best Oklahoma kids and top Texas recruits. Tulsa's resurgence in the mid 2000s was built off the second tier Oklahoma kids, an occasionally really good Oklahoma kid and smart Texas recruiting. We have Big 10 and Big 12 teams in here getting kids all the time, we even have SEC teams in here picking up kids.

In fact almost every good team Tulsa has ever had was based on a core of local kids. OU and OSU always have a core of Oklahoma kids. The state has the requirements to produce good talent, we should be focused on taking advantage of that.

We also have two good size metro populations with high football participation, high level coaching, and talent within 120 miles with NW Arkansas and OKC. A tank of gas is more than enough but hell they could get on the damn city bus and do a pretty good job. Jenks, Broken Arrow, and Bixby all have bus connections.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT