ADVERTISEMENT

I was talking to my son after the game...

nevadanatural

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
...and he asked who the QB would be if something happened to Brin. I told him I don’t know but I thought we had a freshman who hadn’t played. He was quiet for a second then said “Collins was a quarterback”.

Collins play both ways and win the game. That is heisman material lol
I have often thought why would we not run him out there in the occasional wildcat? Just a few plays here or there to throw the defenses off balance. You know he can throw the ball. At 6'4" 260, he'd be a much taller version of Jerome Bettis running at defenders. Zaven is probably faster than Bettis too.

Some draft analyst on Twitter mentioned last night how NFL scouts and coaches are going to lose their sh*t when Collins runs the 40 in the 4.5s. Add to that the coverage he had in 1 v 1 with Tulane's RB and the RB wasn't anywhere close to having any space, NFL coaches are licking their chops. You can put Zaven on the huge fast TEs in the NFL and he can likely run with them. You can rush the passer with him. You can spy the QB with him. He can cover the RBs. You can move him around. Zaven is Donta'e Hightower and Jerrod Mayo. Brian Urlacher. James Harrison. There's a ton of NFL comps for him.

And every time he does something like that Mike Gundy drinks an entire bottle of Jim Beam knowing he let a legacy kid walk without even a recruiting visit.

Urlacher is the best comparison I can think of.
Urlacher is who I immediately thought of when trying to come up with comps. But I like the Hightower comparison some too just because I am very familiar with how the Patriots used Hightower and moved him around because of his versatility in coverage and rushing the passer. Of course before James Harrison got old and fat, the Steelers used him the same way we use Zaven except when he lined up to rush the passer, he put his hand in the ground. Now, I can see Zaven learning that and being used that way, but I also see him lining up as a pass rusher like that and dropping out and bringing pressure from the other side. Hopefully he ends up in a place that can use his entire skill set and develops schemes around that.

When I watch that replay of him easily pulling away from that QB on the int return, I can’t help but think he just added a couple of zeroes to his paycheck.

There’s nothing quite like a 6’4” 260 LB QB running at you to get your attention.
How do you you think those poor kids from Mounds and Kiefer felt having to play him as a QB in highschool

I have often thought why would we not run him out there in the occasional wildcat? Just a few plays here or there to throw the defenses off balance. You know he can throw the ball. At 6'4" 260, he'd be a much taller version of Jerome Bettis running at defenders. Zaven is probably faster than Bettis too.

Some draft analyst on Twitter mentioned last night how NFL scouts and coaches are going to lose their sh*t when Collins runs the 40 in the 4.5s. Add to that the coverage he had in 1 v 1 with Tulane's RB and the RB wasn't anywhere close to having any space, NFL coaches are licking their chops. You can put Zaven on the huge fast TEs in the NFL and he can likely run with them. You can rush the passer with him. You can spy the QB with him. He can cover the RBs. You can move him around. Zaven is Donta'e Hightower and Jerrod Mayo. Brian Urlacher. James Harrison. There's a ton of NFL comps for him.

And every time he does something like that Mike Gundy drinks an entire bottle of Jim Beam knowing he let a legacy kid walk without even a recruiting visit.
Charles Jefferson is the only close comparison.

Zavan Collins with the Steelers would be fine with me. The Steelers and big fast linebackers go together. One of TU's best defensive linemen/linebacker played for the Steelers in the 1950s. Marvin Matuszak.

There is a very good medical school at Pitt. I understand that Zavan's life goal is medicine.

Zavan Collins with the Steelers would be fine with me. The Steelers and big fast linebackers go together. One of TU's best defensive linemen/linebacker played for the Steelers in the 1950s. Marvin Matuszak.

There is a very good medical school at Pitt. I understand that Zavan's life goal is medicine.
Marv played both ways. He was an AllAmerican OL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT