ADVERTISEMENT

I guess they expected a VERY small attendance at Friday’s Game ...

Tulsa76

I.T.S. Sophomore
Jan 9, 2007
On Friday, November 16, the Golden Hurricane will take on California Baptist at noon for our second annual Blackboards and Backboards Educational Day game.
We have been working with area schools to bring students out to the Reynolds Center to not only experience an exciting basketball game, but to also take part in campus tours and educational activities located throughout the concourse.

We are expecting a tremendous turnout with more than 4,000 kids in attendance. We would like nothing more than to have a raucous, energetic crowd to cheer on our Golden Hurricane.
In anticipation of the large student crowd, we would like to give our loyal season ticket holders the best seats in the house! In an effort to create the best possible atmosphere for our season ticket holders, the school children in attendance, as well as for our team, all season ticket holders will be seated in the Lower Bowl Sections 104 and 105 on the north side and Lower Bowl Sections 114 and 115 on the south side.”
—————————————-
Doesn’t this devalue to zero these high$ donation seats for those who have seats in these sections?

I just don’t like TU giving away tickets to boost attendance figures. They’ve been doing this for both football and basketball the past few years. I would rather boost attendance by fielding and funding good teams and coaches to win games! You win games at the D1 level and attendance will take care of itself!

On Friday, November 16, the Golden Hurricane will take on California Baptist at noon for our second annual Blackboards and Backboards Educational Day game.
We have been working with area schools to bring students out to the Reynolds Center to not only experience an exciting basketball game, but to also take part in campus tours and educational activities located throughout the concourse.

We are expecting a tremendous turnout with more than 4,000 kids in attendance. We would like nothing more than to have a raucous, energetic crowd to cheer on our Golden Hurricane.
In anticipation of the large student crowd, we would like to give our loyal season ticket holders the best seats in the house! In an effort to create the best possible atmosphere for our season ticket holders, the school children in attendance, as well as for our team, all season ticket holders will be seated in the Lower Bowl Sections 104 and 105 on the north side and Lower Bowl Sections 114 and 115 on the south side.”
—————————————-
Doesn’t this devalue to zero these high$ donation seats for those who have seats in these sections?

I just don’t like TU giving away tickets to boost attendance figures. They’ve been doing this for both football and basketball the past few years. I would rather boost attendance by fielding and funding good teams and coaches to win games! You win games at the D1 level and attendance will take care of itself!

They aren't a give away. A donor pays for the kids tickets. It's at noon so I doubt a lot of regular ticket holders can attend, but it's a Friday so some might duck out.

It's one game. In return we get the chance to impress local kids with an experience. Their excitement might spread to their families and if not we have created a positive experience for a casual person.

By the way these sort of things tell me we have the money if the donor base is engaged but it's interested in being innovative and making an impact not the same old routine Tulsa has been stuck in.

I don’t mind them reaching out to local schools once per year... that’s 4000+ potential new fans. If those kids have a good experience, they may beg their parents to take them to another game... then if their parents have a good time, maybe they’ll go to more... then you’ve started a new relationship between the school and a potential fan.

I get what you’re saying but I feel like the good outweighs the bad in this situation by quite a bit.

They aren't a give away. A donor pays for the kids tickets. It's at noon so I doubt a lot of regular ticket holders can attend, but it's a Friday so some might duck out.

It's one game. In return we get the chance to impress local kids with an experience. Their excitement might spread to their families and if not we have created a positive experience for a casual person.

By the way these sort of things tell me we have the money if the donor base is engaged but it's interested in being innovative and making an impact not the same old routine Tulsa has been stuck in.

Nice post - we posted almost the exact same thing at the exact same time haha

Reactions: TU4ever2
I looked at it from a different angle. Do we have so few season ticket holders that they would fit in 4 sections if all showed up?

Reactions: noble cane
It's one game against a non d1 opponent and Tulsa needs as many butts as possible

Lighten up Francis!
/ the Big Toe

I looked at it from a different angle. Do we have so few season ticket holders that they would fit in 4 sections if all showed up?

Judging by the seating charts online it does seem like season ticket sales took a hit this year

And you can watch it on Hurricane Vision - if you can get it to work. They’re letting the kids run that too.

I'm a donor but I already sit in the sections that are available. I do think our season ticket base could sit in these 4 sections with every seat filled since not everyone shows up, but not including TU students. The announced attendance has been about 3,200 for the first two games. Adding the band, teams, coaches, cheerleaders and a few students, that suggests TU has a bit under 3,000 season ticket holders.

I enjoyed the atmosphere with the kids screaming last year, but of course, not the Lamar outcome.

Is that the game we went into half down by 9 and then lost to someone no one cares about?

Yes, but those kids made some noise. If we had done anything they would have gone crazy. They were just waiting, they know what's up, they have you tube they want to get wild.

I would imagine that this team will have them rocking in particular when DMFJ posterizes some poor church kid just trying to get his Bible study for free.

I expect that if this team continues to handle business and puts a big W on the board this game will pay dividends for new fans as they build momentum this year.

Yup. I love having 1 game a year with the kids. It's all about instilling memories in them. Even if they don't end up coming to TU in 10 years, they might have a positive predisposition to our school for years beyond and we might be able to sway them as casual fans much the same way that OU sways a ton of goons who never went to college to support OU.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
At one point during the Lamar game last year all of the kids began shrieking at the top of their lungs when the scoreboard said "make some noise." It was possibly the loudest (and shrillest) I've ever heard the Reynold's Center get. This year, I'm bringing my little 1 year old screamer who ought to fit right in.

At one point during the Lamar game last year all of the kids began shrieking at the top of their lungs when the scoreboard said "make some noise." It was possibly the loudest (and shrillest) I've ever heard the Reynold's Center get. This year, I'm bringing my little 1 year old screamer who ought to fit right in.

Let the indoctrination begin |-|

The crew will be remiss if they don't play "Jump Around" by House of Pain for those kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT