ADVERTISEMENT

I don't even like watching this team.

Recruiting isn’t killing us.
It’s offensive preparation and play calling.
I just don't agree with some of the offense we installed (and haven't removed?) after Dane left. We lost some unpredictability trying to tailor our system to our running game and O-line. Monty has to fix that.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
QB is the issue. Make a change. Skipper has not and will not get it done at this level. Loyalty to Skipper and Edmiston is killing this team

Reactions: Tulsa76
The coach is the problem. BB was the problem. Monty is the problem. A good coach with a good scheme could have these kids ready to play each week and execute with minimal penalties. Monty must not expect much from players at practice. Doesn't push them to be better I assume. He's just a bad coach and has zero ability to adapt. Get rid of him.

Reactions: jerandlaur
Recruiting isn’t killing us.
It’s offensive preparation and play calling.
I suspect it’s both. Enough talent can make any coach look better and vice versus. Monty won some games with BB’s guys. I suspect a better coach could get a lot more out of the current guys too.

QB is the issue. Make a change. Skipper has not and will not get it done at this level. Loyalty to Skipper and Edmiston is killing this team
Skippers ok, he’d be fine if we had a dominant running game and just needed him to keep the defense honest. But we don’t so we need the qb to be a difference maker and he just isn’t. You can’t count on him to get a first down much less a touchdown when you need one.

Our QB isn't fumbling balls after catches.

Our QB isn't false starting after positive plays.

Our QB isn't calling jet sweeps in our own endzone.

Our QB isn't missing blocks and forcing our running backs to dodge attackers in our backfield.

The QB is not currently the issue.

The lack of disipline in basics and attention to detail is.

They don't value the ball and display poor ball security.

The team shows a lack of focus and understanding of game situations.

The team hasn't shown big play capabilities on either side of the ball and serious problems in special teams.

The team will make a good play and than immeadiately, sometimes before the next snap, make a bonehead decision/play.

False starts after good gains. Fumbles. Interceptions. Celebration penalties. Poor clock management. Poor situational play calling. Not taking the easy play.

Had a Tulse secondary player, on 3rd and long from the Astate ten yard line, break on an out route for the interception. Missed the ball, A state receiver got a 15-20 yard gain. 1st down.

The smart easy play is break down on the receiver, make the tackle for no gain, force the punt. This prevents the big play, more clock from getting ate, and keeps building Tulsa momentum with a defensive stop. No reason to gamble then, it's the third quarter still. Make the smart play.

When you're good but not great you have to do the little things the correct way to win.

No faith in the QB to make a play is the problem. The kid cannot throw an accurate pass past 10 yards. Late in the game, the slant to Johnson was an easy touch but he threw it behind. That is the problem because average QB's make those throws

Reactions: Midwest11
Disagree with most. Our O-Line got pushed all over the place last night. Our o line is what I feel is our biggest weakness. I feel like skipper has a good arm but the dude is running for his life every down. O line issues = poor recruiting

Reactions: GOB10
Agree about O-line. 3 starters w/ 100 starts & we still don't get any push. Glaringly obvious from top of south zone when O is heading north. Pass protection sucks, also. Too obvious play-calling doesn't help, either. Sure,for 3 Q's @ 2 yds a rush, we start wearing down opponents D, but by the 4th Q our D is tiring too & unable to get ball back to recover from a 20-pt. deficit(like the last 2 wks in a row).

If not for a ton of penalties on Arkie St., we wouldn't have been in it at all by the 2 point safety. Just very frustrating!!

Good arm???? Lots of wounded ducks and throws that are late because he winds up.
He's got the arm strength, a couple of his passes on Saturday were late...because he hesitated....because the WR didn't have any separation. Stokes runs the best routes followed by Anderson. Johnson COULD be open deep on any play. People underestimate his speed and acceleration at the snap. I don't have anything positive to say about Hobbs right now.

We need to use the RBs and the TEs in the pass game more. Neph is always open whenever he goes into a route. Using both of those options also holds the LBs underneath which opens the slants and slightly deeper in routes up. The TD Neph scored...would have scored from 30 yards out.

BTW...anyone watching the WRs on Saturday knows we had guys wide open deep a lot of the game. Had the quick routes not been open and Skipper had to scramble, those deep WRs are the outlets in this offense but if your QB doesn't have enough time to get through his progressions, those shots never happen.

How to solve this: Help the OL. Teams are obviously aggressive attacking our edge blockers. You beat this by letting them come and setting up a screen pass to the RB. You do this allowing them to come and running delays or shovel passes. The pressure really isn't coming straight up the middle. Screen passes with Brooks would not only keep those edge rushers honest, it should also open up passing lanes.

He's got the arm strength, a couple of his passes on Saturday were late...because he hesitated....because the WR didn't have any separation. Stokes runs the best routes followed by Anderson. Johnson COULD be open deep on any play. People underestimate his speed and acceleration at the snap. I don't have anything positive to say about Hobbs right now.

We need to use the RBs and the TEs in the pass game more. Neph is always open whenever he goes into a route. Using both of those options also holds the LBs underneath which opens the slants and slightly deeper in routes up. The TD Neph scored...would have scored from 30 yards out.

BTW...anyone watching the WRs on Saturday knows we had guys wide open deep a lot of the game. Had the quick routes not been open and Skipper had to scramble, those deep WRs are the outlets in this offense but if your QB doesn't have enough time to get through his progressions, those shots never happen.

How to solve this: Help the OL. Teams are obviously aggressive attacking our edge blockers. You beat this by letting them come and setting up a screen pass to the RB. You do this allowing them to come and running delays or shovel passes. The pressure really isn't coming straight up the middle. Screen passes with Brooks would not only keep those edge rushers honest, it should also open up passing lanes.

Would be nice to see our wr continue to work to get open when Skipper scrambles. Perhaps our dual threat style hurts us and they expect him to run? Either way they stand and watch, except Neph. Which is why he always seems open. Pretty sure every scramble completion we have had (which is like 4) Neph has made the catch.

Watching the same qb that won 2 games last year and is 1-2 this year without passing the 200 yard mark and continues to turn the ball over. Good QBs are better than this. Need a change if for any reason than to wake Skipper up.

Is it Skipper though? Or is it the supporting cast? Our O-line is really struggling, I'm watching Brooks make people miss in the backfield constantly.

It is all of it but the QB needs to be able to make reads and get rid of the ball. Skipper does none of this plus it takes him longer to throw due to his form.

It is all of it but the QB needs to be able to make reads and get rid of the ball. Skipper does none of this plus it takes him longer to throw due to his form.
His firm is fine. Go compare it to the QB we played against last week who winds up and throws sidearm.

Reactions: TU4ever2
His firm is fine. Go compare it to the QB we played against last week who winds up and throws sidearm.
Disagree.

The base pass play in this offense is throwing the quick out behind the line of scrimmage to the slot receiver lined up on or outside the numbers (which is considerably wider than traditional slots). It requires a quick release, a particularly accurate throw, and exceptional velocity compared to the athleticism of the corner/nickel tandem. A slow release, a throw that is not pinpoint, or slow delivered ball gives the defense sufficient time to disrupt the catch and/or blocking that designed to free up the WR after he makes the first man miss or breaks the reaching arm tackle. We have seen that play blown up so many times with President and Skipper that we no longer run it. It gets blown up because both are deficient in all three facets of QB performance described above. As a result, the defense can play tightly packed in the box with up to 8 men. We lose the advantage of spreading the defense out to cover the wide sideline pass that frees up lanes for the run. Go back and look at the 10-3 offense or RG3 era and how many times Dane or RG3 ran that play and they came right back to a deep slashing run one or two plays later. For those of you who need a 1950-1980's translation to my comments above: We are not running our base play in this offense because we dont have the personnel. Its like trying to win with the triple option and not once handing off to the full back.

I can’t remeber who said it (may have been huffy), that if the quick inside slant was there and we could hit it consistently, we’d be in business, but if we couldn’t, we’d be in trouble. Well... we haven’t really been able to hit it. Good assessment by whoever said that.

I can’t remeber who said it (may have been huffy), that if the quick inside slant was there and we could hit it consistently, we’d be in business, but if we couldn’t, we’d be in trouble. Well... we haven’t really been able to hit it. Good assessment by whoever said that.
We tried to run it 3-4 times against Ark St last weekend. At least on 3 of those occasions, Skipper hesitates just slightly. I can't tell if the passing lane isn't there because of DL penetration or if the WR is slow to break to the spot.

There are a lot of things to point to right now. I think Skipper's arm strength and decision making are a lot father down the list than many want to admit. I'd list 1 and 1a as OL can't pass block and the WRs are just not running the right route with any urgency.

We tried to run it 3-4 times against Ark St last weekend. At least on 3 of those occasions, Skipper hesitates just slightly. I can't tell if the passing lane isn't there because of DL penetration or if the WR is slow to break to the spot.

There are a lot of things to point to right now. I think Skipper's arm strength and decision making are a lot father down the list than many want to admit. I'd list 1 and 1a as OL can't pass block and the WRs are just not running the right route with any urgency.

No you’re right, the o line is definitely underperforming.

Anyone have any actual stats on distance to completion? I can find passing yards, efficiency, hurry ups, sacks, etc. But any stats to back up the claim that he can't complete a pass downfield? Or stats receiver drops for that matter?

I agree on the O-line but Skipper has a hard time staying in the pocket and getting rid of the ball. He is a D1 athlete, just not a QB. Too much like President on his passing ability. How can we stay with the same personnel, not throw for 200 yards, and not make changes? Do we think he is going to throw for 400?

I agree on the O-line but Skipper has a hard time staying in the pocket and getting rid of the ball. He is a D1 athlete, just not a QB. Too much like President on his passing ability. How can we stay with the same personnel, not throw for 200 yards, and not make changes? Do we think he is going to throw for 400?
We know what the offensive style is capable of...we saw the only combination of a 3,000 yd passer, 2 1,000 yd rushers and 2 1,000 yd WRs using this offense. That offense was balanced...but it was also able to keep teams extremely off balance. A lot of that was Monty's trust in Dane to make a lot of different throws. You need that in a QB. What the play calling tells me right now is that Monty isn't in that same place with Luke just yet. And there's more than just Luke's ability as a QB as a factor in that. The OL is not quite as good in pass blocking mode, our WRs are not as adept and have a bad case of fumbleitis as a group, and Luke still probably isn't as quick at deciphering and reading the defense as he needs to be to be able to make a call on the fly.

And I'm going to be hard on Hobbs right now. He just doesn't look dialed in or ready to play. He wants to be a featured WR but his route running and blocking are lazy if he is not the go to WR on that play, so in a 3 WR set, he's eliminating himself as an option. Dane never had to deal with that. If Keevan wasn't the #1 option on a route, he still ran the route he was supposed to like he was. The same with Josh. Keevan was an excellent blocker. Josh was a good blocker. I see big effort out of Stokes and Anderson right now...I'm seeing more out of Johnson...I'm not seeing it out of the senior WR.

It was me. But others have said it too. The 2nd most important pass play as a foundation to this offense is an rpo on where the QB must judge the weak side LB (or hybrid player based on formation) and whether that player is cheating over to help the safety cover the slot out wide. One of the reasons the slot is out wide is to loosen up the box for the run as discussed above. If the LB stays in for the run, one of the options for the slot is to slant depending on what he sees, as well as the down and distance and field position. One of the things they are checking when they line up then back out before getting set is checking on this LB alignment. It can be glaring - cheating five yards over - or just subtle body leaning or lining up normal with weight on the outside leg. And the defense can change all of that, maybe even as the ball is snapped, especially if an inexperienced QB is giving away with his eyes or own body habits whether he is going to throw or handoff.

Executed correctly by a QB who can sell the fake and is a threat to deliver an Evans speed pass right on target means that the defense must choose to cheat him over to defeat the slant/drag to avoid a cheap 5 yard pass gain but that means takjng a man out of the box to cover the pass so that means the RB is +1 personnel going into the line and has his choice of B or C gaps and a mismatch on the other side with the weak side guard coming down field with him if the QB makes the right read. It’s a darned if you do, darned if you don’t situation.

You can bring down the safety to help disguise what you are doing and maybe help on the slot, but then you either leave the back door open for a deep shot one on one to the outside or there’s no help if the RB breaks the second level which means touchdown. That’s usually what is going on when you see Taylor slash into a crowded line, dodge the linebacker and suddenly he is all alone with daylight.

There’s more going on than that, some of it I understand, other parts I’m sure I don’t, but that’s part of it explained at the 8th grade level that I understand it.

But it doesn’t matter because it is clear that Skipper doesn’t have the physical tools to do it. If he isn’t throwing off the scramble or running to a release point, his passing technique is basically hopeless.

Last edited:
It was me. But others have said it too. The 2nd most important pass play as a foundation to this offense is an rpo on where the QB must judge the weak side LB (or hybrid player based on formation) and whether that player is cheating over to help the safety cover the slot out wide. One of the reasons the slot is out wide is to loosen up the box for the run as discussed above. If the LB stays in for the run, one of the options for the slot is to slant depending on what he sees, as well as the down and distance and field position. One of the things they are checking when they line up then back out before getting set is checking on this LB alignment. It can be glaring - cheating five yards over - or just subtle body leaning or lining up normal with weight on the outside leg. And the defense can change all of that, maybe even as the ball is snapped, especially if an inexperienced QB is giving away with his eyes or own body habits whether he is going to throw or handoff.

Executed correctly by a QB who can sell the fake and is a threat to deliver an Evans speed pass right on target means that the defense must choose to cheat him over to defeat the slant/drag to avoid a cheap 5 yard pass gain but that means takjng a man out of the box to cover the pass so that means the RB is +1 personnel going into the line and has his choice of B or C gaps and a mismatch on the other side with the weak side guard coming down field with him if the QB makes the right read. It’s a darned if you do, darned if you don’t situation.

You can bring down the safety to help disguise what you are doing and maybe help on the slot, but then you either leave the back door open for a deep shot one on one to the outside or there’s no help if the RB breaks the second level which means touchdown. That’s usually what is going on when you see Taylor slash into a crowded line, dodge the linebacker and suddenly he is all alone with daylight.

There’s more going on than that, some of it I understand, other parts I’m sure I don’t, but that’s part of it explained at the 8th grade level that I understand it.

But it doesn’t matter because it is clear that Skipper doesn’t have the physical tools to do it. If he isn’t throwing off the scramble or running to a release point, his passing technique is basically hopeless.
Keevan destroyed teams with this.

You sound like a much better coach than Monty. Apply?

You sound like a much better coach than Monty. Apply?
I actually did apply as an undergraduate when Henshaw left and the University had a policy of posting every opening. Mike Leach is living proof that a lawyer who never played the game and no management experience can study like mad for three years and be paid a lot of money to coach. I would apply this time around, but they cant afford me and my DC LEC. We are a package deal. And my Director of High School Recruiting Chris Harmon is not as welcome on campus as he once was ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT