ADVERTISEMENT

Hula Bowl

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
I just saw that Smith and Taylor are playing in this game tonight, 8 pm, CBSSN.

Are they playing at the unsafe stadium?

I’m for sure tuning in. Both wonderful young men!!
Yes Sir both great men I’ll be watching and rooting both on Even though I’ve been critical of smith but they helped us get back to a point I thought we wouldn’t be under Monty they have laid some groundwork but I’m ready for the next step in Tulsa football

Taylor has a couple of good carries. Smith starts Q3 1 for 1 for about 5 yards on a 3 and out in one possession so far.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
Did he only get those two series? I got sleepy and turned it off once they pulled Smith.

Did he only get those two series? I got sleepy and turned it off once they pulled Smith.
He went in for a third series. He was driving the team downfield. Threw a pick at about the other teams 20 yard line. There was just about 3 minutes left at that point so I turned it off then.

He went in for a third series. He was driving the team downfield. Threw a pick at about the other teams 20 yard line. There was just about 3 minutes left at that point so I turned it off then.
They were playing in the third quarter but it was his first quarter.

So they kept saying that the game may be the last football game ever played at Aloha Stadium. Are they not renovating it? Or are they doing the Vegas model and blowing it up and building new? Where is Hawaii going to play if the stadium doesn't reopen?

BTW, Aloha Stadium is not really close to UH-Manoa's campus. Probably a good 20-25 minute drive sans traffic. I did find it surprising the one time I went to Hawaii that Aloha Stadium is literally across the highway from Pearl Harbor.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
So they kept saying that the game may be the last football game ever played at Aloha Stadium. Are they not renovating it? Or are they doing the Vegas model and blowing it up and building new? Where is Hawaii going to play if the stadium doesn't reopen?

BTW, Aloha Stadium is not really close to UH-Manoa's campus. Probably a good 20-25 minute drive sans traffic. I did find it surprising the one time I went to Hawaii that Aloha Stadium is literally across the highway from Pearl Harbor.

It appears they're building a new one at another location.

It appears they're building a new one at another location.
Correct. There are plans for a new stadium to open no earlier than the 2023 season, mostly likely 2024.

Hawaii either has to drop down a classification, get a waiver, play all games on the road for two years which isn’t financially sustainable or expand the on campus multi use field to 15,000 through portable seating imported from the main land. All options are sub optimal. The most likely option is playing on Maui on a stadium there that can hold 15,000, at least on paper, with some modifications but no temp bleachers. Which I’m cool with. I’ve been to Oahu and the Big Island several times, including the Hawaii Bowl back in the day. Ive never been to the Maui and would consider it for TU football. You have to figure a lot of potential visiting fans feel the same way. I’ll never go back to an Oahu UH game under any circumstances.

It appears no one knows what they are doing there!
It’s a massive political brawl. Read the comments on some of the local news articles about it. It’s comedy gold.

Reactions: Sbellini
How long before Graham bails on them?

I am not familiar with Graham and have no opinion or input on him but damn everybody talks about him sideways.......like the old saying goes when someone shows you who they are believe them. It appears he has shown who he is to this fan base .

I am not familiar with Graham and have no opinion or input on him but damn everybody talks about him sideways.......like the old saying goes when someone shows you who they are believe them. It appears he has shown who he is to this fan base .
People moan about character flaws, but he coached some exciting football and won .
His coaches recruited well and we were lucky to have him . My favorite home game
was a night game against BYU and watching Chris Chamberlain knocking the crap out
of a receiver.

They were playing in the third quarter but it was his first quarter.
Smith was 4 of 8 for 38 yards and a pic on his last pass in 3 series. Didn't get much of a chance, but looked ok. The pic was on 3rd and 11 from the 25 of the defense.

In all star games, it is hard to tell whose fault an interception is. CB McCloud from Notre Dame made a good play, receiver looked indecisive. The CB had 2 pics in game. Second team ACC.

Taylor had 3 carries for 18 yards, all on the only series where his Aina team scored a TD on offense. Carries of 12, 3, and 3. Dragged tackers on all plays.

Graham was the very best and very worst of us. He won, but moved on as soon as he could. He made us believe in ourselves but that belief had us borrowing millions we are still paying back. He acted like the head daddy dog but he understood where he stood on the campus hierarchy. He understood the theater and spectacle and game of college football, but couldn’t help himself and used language and techniques straight out of high school stereotypes to an embarrassing extent at times. He was an exceptional recruiter, and really valued the process and the ridiculous excesses that go with it, but he would also do and say things to recruits that made him look ridiculous. But he won, so we just made fun of him and moved on. He called defensive plays brilliantly at times, or blitzed literally every play. we would score 50 and either win or lose by 5. He did an exceptional job of identifying young coaches with innovative ideas and motivated them to be their best. But his own innovations on offense were a disaster. Our worst and most frustrating season was when he let his ego take over our offense.

He had the motto of an evangelical church printed on the forehead face mask clip on the helmets in violation of NCAA rules and in defiance of the school’s PC concerns, but ESPN complained repeatedly to the school about his language on the sideline. We still celebrate his F bombs. They are timeless on here.

:todd:

He grew up without a father and could really connect with players that didn’t either, but it also gives him a “me first” “protect myself” “get what you can while you can” ambition that is naked on his sleeve that turns a lot of people off who have to be around him every day. He could be insanely generous with his time and giving fans visibility into the program (he let fans in the stands call plays at a spring game which people thought was a hoot), but would forbid faculty and admin from the Case Center at times lest they see something and leak it. At one point, he wanted to personally approve everyone with access to the new stadium during the week, whether the team was present or not, sweep it for bugs and cameras, etc. His wife was really nice, but grew horns on social media at times. His son coached for us, until he got fired for breaking into the stadium in the middle of the night to steal liquor trying to woo a coed.

In short, he was a winner but a carnival barker. We miss the circus, now that it has left town, and hope a bigger one comes along again. With our budget, that isn’t likely. We were promised a bigger better improved circus with a more consistent offense, more Jesus and the best defense in the conference. Montgomery hasn’t really delivered on those promises, despite being paid 60 percent more, except maybe this past year’s defense, and his understated public persona hasn’t helped him in Graham’s wake.

We are still hung over from Graham 10 years after he left.

Like him or hate him, he’s our Landry, Switzer, Chuck Knoll, Tom Osborne, etc. The two guys after him had their positives, but couldnt measure up to the inevitable comparisons. It’s important the next one get beyond the nostalgia for the dominance of that era and restate the Tulsa program: passing offense, brutal defense built around Texas talent, local stars, and Oklahoma small school athletes.

Last edited:
Thank you Huffy for that thoughtful reply. You really painted a picture that I could see. I had heard on this board some comments about the son as well. So now I know !

Reactions: HuffyCane
People moan about character flaws, but he coached some exciting football and won .
His coaches recruited well and we were lucky to have him . My favorite home game
was a night game against BYU and watching Chris Chamberlain knocking the crap out
of a receiver.

Based on the final score, which I think was 55-48, you wouldn't know just how amazingly physical that game was. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a former BYU player out there with lingering effects from that game.

Based on the final score, which I think was 55-48, you wouldn't know just how amazingly physical that game was. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a former BYU player out there with lingering effects from that game.
He’s still got Charlie Davis standing over him in his head that’s for sure.

Graham was the very best and very worst of us. He won, but moved on as soon as he could. He made us believe in ourselves but that belief had us borrowing millions we are still paying back. He acted like the head daddy dog but he understood where he stood on the campus hierarchy. He understood the theater and spectacle and game of college football, but couldn’t help himself and used language and techniques straight out of high school stereotypes to an embarrassing extent at times. He was an exceptional recruiter, and really valued the process and the ridiculous excesses that go with it, but he would also do and say things to recruits that made him look ridiculous. But he won, so we just made fun of him and moved on. He called defensive plays brilliantly at times, or blitzed literally every play. we would score 50 and either win or lose by 5. He did an exceptional job of identifying young coaches with innovative ideas and motivated them to be their best. But his own innovations on offense were a disaster. Our worst and most frustrating season was when he let his ego take over our offense.

He had the motto of an evangelical church printed on the forehead face mask clip on the helmets in violation of NCAA rules and in defiance of the school’s PC concerns, but ESPN complained repeatedly to the school about his language on the sideline. We still celebrate his F bombs. They are timeless on here.

He grew up without a father and could really connect with players that didn’t either, but it also gives him a “me first” “protect myself” “get what you can while you can” ambition that is naked on his sleeve that turns a lot of people off who have to be around him every day. He could be insanely generous with his time and giving fans visibility into the program (he let fans in the stands call plays at a spring game which people thought was a hoot), but would forbid faculty and admin from the Case Center at times lest they see something and leak it. At one point, he wanted to personally approve everyone with access to the new stadium during the week, whether the team was present or not, sweep it for bugs and cameras, etc. His wife was really nice, but grew horns on social media at times. His son coached for us, until he got fired for breaking into the stadium in the middle of the night to steal liquor trying to woo a coed.

In short, he was a winner but a carnival barker. We miss the circus, now that it has left town, and hope a bigger one comes along again. With our budget, that isn’t likely. We were promised a bigger better improved circus with a more consistent offense, more Jesus and the best defense in the conference. Montgomery hasn’t really delivered on those promises, despite being paid 60 percent more, except maybe this past year’s defense, and his understated public persona hasn’t helped him in Graham’s wake.

Like him or hate him, he’s our Landry, Switzer, Chuck Knoll, Tom Osborne, etc. The two guys after him had their positives, but couldnt measure up to the inevitable comparisons. It’s important the next one get beyond the nostalgia for the dominance of that era and restate the Tulsa program: passing offense, brutal defense built around Texas talent, local stars, and Oklahoma small school athletes.
It’s actually amazing the past success that TU has achieved with an athletic budget
just barely above MAC conference standards . In retrospect, all of our dynamic football
and basketball coaches (Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, Bill Self, Todd Graham) left for
higher profile opportunities , bigger budgets and higher salaries. We all live in a ”Me First”
working environment wanting to be as financially successful as possible . If you love your job
and make a lot of money you have hit the exacta. In a perfect world we would all like our
successful coaches to stay for the love of the school , but nobody does that .
What could TU have achieved back in the1940’s and 1950’s if they had been willing
to pay Henry Frnka more money ? If only the “Oil Money” in town had come to the rescue.

It’s actually amazing the past success that TU has achieved with an athletic budget
just barely above MAC conference standards . In retrospect, all of our dynamic football
and basketball coaches (Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, Bill Self, Todd Graham) left for
higher profile opportunities , bigger budgets and higher salaries. We all live in a ”Me First”
working environment wanting to be as financially successful as possible . If you love your job
and make a lot of money you have hit the exacta. In a perfect world we would all like our
successful coaches to stay for the love of the school , but nobody does that .
What could TU have achieved back in the1940’s and 1950’s if they had been willing
to pay Henry Frnka more money ? If only the “Oil Money” in town had come to the rescue.
Pat Fitzgerald recently turned down the NFL and if you believe rumor, Ohio State in the past. He’s a beast of a man. Mad respect.

Pat Fitzgerald recently turned down the NFL and if you believe rumor, Ohio State in the past. He’s a beast of a man. Mad respect.
And managed an average record of 7-5 regular season for 15 years.

of a receiver.
Late start and ended at like 1am. Took about 4 hrs to play. And I believe Chamberlain's hit was on Austin Collie which gave him a concussion. Collie went on to have a series of concussions through college and the NFL and it ultimately led to an early retirement. I still shudder when I see that hit. It was brutal. CHamberlain would have been sent off after that hit if it happened today.

Late start and ended at like 1am. Took about 4 hrs to play. And I believe Chamberlain's hit was on Austin Collie which gave him a concussion. Collie went on to have a series of concussions through college and the NFL and it ultimately led to an early retirement. I still shudder when I see that hit. It was brutal. CHamberlain would have been sent off after that hit if it happened today.

My Mormon friends were concerned that the game would end after midnight and they would technically be playing on Sunday.

BYU got around that by claiming ‘ox in the mire’ so that the job already started on Saturday could be completed on Sunday.

You are thinking of Charlie Davis’ hit referenced above. See below at :41

Chambo had a hit on a TE that caused a fumble late in the game.

My god, I ****ing miss Paul Smith and Charles Clay. That season was the most fun I’ve ever had with TU football.

It also helps that I was a student at the time and knew quite a few of the players on the team.

Also, Charles Clay was a good dude and very friendly.

You forgot that he wasn't good at all against P5 competition, and had a tendency to blow or not even show up for big games. (08 Houston blowout, UH 09 close loss we should have won at home, BSU 09 close loss we could have won at home. ECU Hail Mary. A couple heart breakers against June Jones at SMU. Pretty much every OU / OSU game he played in, @Arky...) His best games were ND and Hawaii neither of which were that astounding of teams that season. (yes I know ND went on a run after and Hawaii was ranked coming in)

Also, he never won a conference championship despite playing in two. Honestly, in terms of the peaks of their Tulsa programs, Monty is probably one 10 win season and another conference championship birth away from tying Graham. (Obviously Monty's lows were more pronounced and more prolonged than Graham's)

Last edited:
You forgot that he wasn't good at all against P5 competition, and had a tendency to blow or not even show up for big games. (08 Houston blowout, UH 09 close loss we should have won at home, BSU 09 close loss we could have won at home. ECU Hail Mary. A couple heart breakers against June Jones at SMU. Pretty much every OU / OSU game he played in, @Arky...) His best games were ND and Hawaii neither of which were that astounding of teams that season. (yes I know ND went on a run after and Hawaii was ranked coming in)

Also, he never won a conference championship despite playing in two. Honestly, in terms of the peaks of their Tulsa programs, Monty is probably one 10 win season and another conference championship birth away from tying Graham. (Obviously Monty's lows were more pronounced and more prolonged than Graham's)

Toddles NEVER went 2-10, 3-9, or 4-8.

OK. I knew Chamberlain laid a dude out to seal the game. The highlights are sort of funny because they made us look like a defensive juggernaut (we weren't...hell the score looked like more of our basketball scores today 55-47). And I agree...where do we find the next Charles Clay. You'd think BYU had no game film on him because they kept trying to cover him with a LB and that was one of the biggest mismatches ever.

I was thinking we did that year between Malzahn and Morris, but you are right, it was still a 5-7 year.
And we were a muffed onside kick away from probably being 8-4 that season. The loss to Houston absolutely deflated the team and they sort of mailed it in the rest of the year. I honestly believe if we recover the onside and take the knee to run out the clock, we win 2-3 more games that season and go bowling.

OK. I knew Chamberlain laid a dude out to seal the game. The highlights are sort of funny because they made us look like a defensive juggernaut (we weren't...hell the score looked like more of our basketball scores today 55-47). And I agree...where do we find the next Charles Clay. You'd think BYU had no game film on him because they kept trying to cover him with a LB and that was one of the biggest mismatches ever.
It was arrogance. BYU was loaded on defense that year. They had never seen Malzahn’s offense before and thought they could cover Marion deep with a single safety and still bring the free down for run support. It still finished the year, at least one paper, as a Top Ten defense nationally, but Tulsa exposed them. It was a heckuva coming out party. Maybe the most fun I’ve had at a TU game that didn’t involve me riding down the south side berm on a pizza box as a six year old.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
It was arrogance. BYU was loaded on defense that year. They had never seen Malzahn’s offense before and thought they could cover Marion deep with a single safety and still bring the free down for run support. It still finished the year, at least one paper, as a Top Ten defense nationally, but Tulsa exposed them. It was a heckuva coming out party. Maybe the most fun I’ve had at a TU game that didn’t involve me riding down the south side berm on a pizza box as a six year old.
Thanks for the highlights Huffy . Watching Paul roll out to his left ,then throw across to the right side
line and Charles Clay running that wheel route for touchdowns are both great plays. Crocket had
success running that same wheel route down the sideline . That offense was on full throttle and so
fun to watch and if you notice a hell of alot of more fans in the seats . Entertainment extravaganza .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT