ADVERTISEMENT

Hope?

CP gets about 11 minutes at the end of the game today subbing on for Werner with Chelsea nursing a 1-0 lead vs Atletico. I thought CP played well. He holds the ball up just about as well as anyone. He flashed his pace nearly getting onto a cross in the 89' that Oblak was really aggressive coming off his line to snare. He then tracked back 80 yards and won a ball at the top of his own area, took a couple dribbles and passed out of trouble before getting absolutely cracked by Lemar. I thought it was a red but only yellow was shown (it was both late, hard, and high and clearly a foul out of frustration). Chelsea wins 1-0.

Bonus: Go look up the goal by Giroud. It was Sportscenter Play of the Year quality.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I remember watching this live thinking it should be required viewing for all soccer players at any level to demonstrate keeping their head up, switching the point of attach, and for attackers to run towards space. The ball from Alexander-Arnold switching from right to left was a thing of beauty. The one time ball from Shaquri to the middle of the field for Salah was simply exquisite. Lots of teams attempt to do this, very few have the talent and capability to actually hit it like this. And it's rare.

Leicester and Leeds want to play this style. Neither has the touch in the back to criss cross this way. Leicester does have some talented forwards that can run onto the ball, but it's almost always over the top and up the middle. South American players tend to attack the middle of the field in their build up. Liverpool's style is more German (a definite Klopp trait) utilizing highly skilled and technical outside backs, MF, and Forwards and then they use some really precise skill and passing in the area. Liverpool scores a ton of goals by creating chaos and packing the attacking 1/3.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Great podcast episode over at the USMNT official podcast site with an episode featuring John O’Brien - arguably the best player at his position to ever put on the kit. An amazing player few if anyone has ever heard of if they started following the sport in the last ten years.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
It's fat city for some Yanks in Europe this past 2 weeks & it's not the usual suspects. Daryl Dike has 3 in 4 games for Barnsley. Kid has come in & given Barnsley new hope for a top 3 finish in the Championship & promotion to EPL. Brendan Aaronson has 2 in his last 2 matches for Jesse Marsch's RB Salzburg.(aside from being a rising coaching star throughout Europe & particularly in the Bundesliga-Marsch obviously has an eye for talent & may soon end up in the German top division)

Chris Richards(isn't he on loan from Barcelona to Hoffenheim?) is becoming a defensive star for Hoff. Wes McKinnie becomes a permanent team-member at Juventus. A loan/buy out was exercized by Juve for 16million Euros from Schalke. Their loss, Juve's gain. And finally, I'd never heard of a 24-yr old named Jordan Siebatcheu, who apparently has dual citizenship with France & us, & is playing on loan from Rennes in Ligue 1 for Young Boys in the top division of the Swiss League. YB are a lock to win the Super League & qualify for Ch Lg next season. Anyway, all this young man has done lately is score 8 goals in 9 games, including 3 in the ongoing Europa League. Are you listening, Beer?halter???

Don’t forget Taylor Booth scoring against a flat footed Aaronson off a wicked volley. De la Fuente scored for Barcelona reserves. Sargent scored, so did Aaronson, so did Tyler Boyd. That’s just today only and that’s only the ones I can recognize scrolling through the scores.

It's fat city for some Yanks in Europe this past 2 weeks & it's not the usual suspects. Daryl Dike has 3 in 4 games for Barnsley. Kid has come in & given Barnsley new hope for a top 3 finish in the Championship & promotion to EPL. Brendan Aaronson has 2 in his last 2 matches for Jesse Marsch's RB Salzburg.(aside from being a rising coaching star throughout Europe & particularly in the Bundesliga-Marsch obviously has an eye for talent & may soon end up in the German top division)

Chris Richards(isn't he on loan from Barcelona to Hoffenheim?) is becoming a defensive star for Hoff. Wes McKinnie becomes a permanent team-member at Juventus. A loan/buy out was exercized by Juve for 16million Euros from Schalke. Their loss, Juve's gain. And finally, I'd never heard of a 24-yr old named Jordan Siebatcheu, who apparently has dual citizenship with France & us, & is playing on loan from Rennes in Ligue 1 for Young Boys in the top division of the Swiss League. YB are a lock to win the Super League & qualify for Ch Lg next season. Anyway, all this young man has done lately is score 8 goals in 9 games, including 3 in the ongoing Europa League. Are you listening, Beer?halter???
Quick correction on Barnsley, only the top 2 get automatic promotion to Premiere League. Places 3-6 have a 4 team playoff for the final promotion spot.

Musah commits to be cap tied to the USA.

Bayern sign an unknown USL San Antonio prospect on a two week trial pending zero transfer.

Serious Twilight Zone action for the USA right now.

Quick correction on Barnsley, only the top 2 get automatic promotion to Premiere League. Places 3-6 have a 4 team playoff for the final promotion spot.
God I would love to see the New York Jets have to go into a playoff with Midland, Tyler, Baton Rouge and Lawton to fight their way back into the NFL. What a world that that would be? Why can't we have that?

Rumors flying that MLS turned down $10 million from United for Dike.

The USA fire sale may be over just at a point when we might be the only major market with guys in full training soon.

USMNT Call ins for March camps:

Some serious talent being called in. No Arriola, no McKennie. Have to think they'll be on the list when it counts most. No Zardes...have to hope he's not on the list when it counts. Looking at the group of defenders doesn't make me cringe that we're going to get run over. There's a ton of talent on this list and knowing there's about 5-7 more guys who are not on the list but would just add to the talent pool without much of a drop off.

Reactions: Gold* and HuffyCane
I have never been in love with Zardes. I don't know why people seem to love him. He is just another Altidore for me. I think Sargent still has massive potential he is the most technical up top of the people not named Reyna or Pulisic and yes that includes Weah. Plus he is tall and finishes in the air.

DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB/COUNTRY; CAPS/GOALS):

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 4/0), Chituru Odunze (Leicester City/ENG; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 19/0)

DEFENDERS (10): John Brooks* (Wolfsburg/GER; 39/3), Reggie Cannon* (Boavista/POR; 13/0), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 5/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 19/3), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht/BEL; 20/1), Erik Palmer-Brown (Austria Wien/AUT; 2/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 41/1), Bryan Reynolds (Roma/ITA; 0/0), Chris Richards* (Hoffenheim/GER; 1/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 8/0)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 2/1), Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 25/2) Tyler Adams* (RB Leipzig/GER; 12/1), Luca de la Torre (Heracles/NED; 1/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 18/4), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 2/0), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton Wanderers/ENG; 1/0)

FORWARDS: (6): Daryl Dike (Barnsley/ENG; 1/0), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen/FRA; 2/2), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 34/14), Gio Reyna* (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 2/1), Josh Sargent* (Werder Bremen/GER; 12/5), Tim Weah* (Lille/FRA; 10/1)

Zardes is nothing like Altidore if you’re comparing playing style. Altidore was a hold up 9 who needed a playmaking 7 and 11 alongside. Altidore, in his prime, probably would have probably peaked with Pulisic and Reyna alongside. Makes me start to wish Clint Dempsey was 5-7 years younger. Zardes is the 9 you play over the top to and hope his 1st touch isn’t awful. He’s not big enough or strong enough to hold the ball so others can join into the attack. Zardes is, as my son and his teammates would call him, a garbage man. He scored a ton off of bad defensive touches and poor GK distributions and him being in the right place.

I love the idea of Pulisic, Sargent, and Reyna up top.

I am a little bit puzzled by Kellen Acosta’s inclusion.

Reactions: quincy101
Zardes can’t play back to goal. He is excellent facing the goal in terms of vision, runs, and play throughs. It sounds ridiculous but he’s a great forward in all aspects except scoring and first touch. I rate him low, but that’s only because I’m an old school Neanderthal that thinks we need a true nine that can draw three and play in the air before we can win.

Curious what Dike can do with Gio and CP stretching the defenses to the chalk.

U23s started their Olympic qualifying with a 1-0 win versus Costa Rica today. Jesus Ferreira (who played for the Roughnecks on loan from FC Dallas in 2018) scored in the 35th minute. The US goalkeeper, David Ochoa was really good. Made some key saves and, IMO, was spot on in his distribution. The US has a really talented and creative group of MFs and Fwds and created several promising counter attacks. Unfortunately the US defenders were really passive in their defending and in decision making and it created problems. I think they can fix that part. This was a key win for the US. Next is Dominican Republic which they should be able to handle. After that is Mexico...who knows what will happen there.

It’s hard to get the communication right on the back 4 with little or no time working together. Didn’t see the game but would guess that’s the issue and easily tidied up later

The US goalkeeper, David Ochoa was really good.
I guess Marcinowski was Kreis' #1 goalie & must be fantastic because after an injury or some other issue where he couldn't start, Ochoa comes in & makes 9 saves, several of the spectacular variety, & saves the US' bacon repeatedly. Great for him, but our back line needs to get it's stuff together, and fast. "Meh"xico will feast and hopefully the result of that game won't matter (with 6 points going into it). Huffy & Bla are prolly right-the lack of games, altitude, newness of players with each other & so on made a difference. Ferreira is a keeper & one hopes his injury is minor.

Last edited:
U23's beat the Dominican Republic 4-0 last evening and they are on to the knockout semifinal round. Win 1 there and they are on to the Olympics. The group the US was in was by far the most difficult with the US, Mexico, and Costa Rica in the group. The other group has Canada and Honduras along with Haiti and El Salvador. You've got to think that the US and Mexico are well-positioned right now to be the CONCACAF reps. (US seemed to have fixed its backline issues from the game with Costa Rica). US and Mexico on Wednesday. Should be a good game.

23’s lose to Mexico. I’m tired of losing to Mexico.
Interesting game. US is still a train wreck in the back but it's a bizarre train wreck. I think the talent to defend is there but the experience and decision making is not. The number of long or blind passes across the penalty area is mind-boggling. The goal last night was the result of a blind pass back straight to Mexico's best player. The shoddy decision making in the back has been on display the entire tournament. TBH, they play like a bunch of 12 year olds. Coaches will tell kids to pass and work the ball out of the back and kids take that to mean every time, I just can't boot the ball out of trouble. At some point they've got to understand that kicking the ball as far as you can to relieve the pressure is getting to live another day.

Kreis' 2nd half subs really worked and you started to see some build up attack with Michel, Dotson, Ferreira, Yuiell. Mihailovic is who makes everything go though. Every time he was able to get forward and join the attack, the US looked dangerous. They should be OK on Sunday. I have not been terribly impressed with either Honduras or Canada. Canada's issue may be similar to the US' in that all their best U23 players are playing overseas. Look at the US' roster? This is like squad #2 of U23s when you realize that Pulisic, Sargent, McKennie, Weah, Adams, Dest and Co. would all fall in that age group. Think about it...and they did an interview with Pulisic about it...this group could qualify the US for the Olympics but come July the main USMNT pool could make up the bulk of the Olympic roster. The even mentioned on the broadcast that some within the futbol hierarchy in Mexico are starting to worry because the US is sending more and more young players to top clubs in Europe while Mexican kids like Antuna are stuck playing on subpar pitches encircled by chain link fences and having beer bottles thrown at them in Liga MX.

USMNT beats Jamaica 4-1 in a friendly today. Dest, Aaronson, and Lletget (2) with the goals for the US. I don't know if Jamaica sent their A team or not but you know the US still has some players that would start who were not even called in for this set of games. Very even effort for the US and the attack was strong. Bodes well for WC Qualifying in the hex. They don't need to beat everyone, just Jamaica, T&T, and Canada/Honduras. If they can win those 3 on the home and homes and take 1 from Costa Rica then they'll qualify.

interview with Pulisic about it...this group could qualify the US for the Olympics but come July the main USMNT pool could make up the bulk of the Olympic roster.
95% of the U-23's are all MLS & do not have much, if any, intl experience, while all those under 23 on the Sr. MNT have plenty of it. One merely had to watch an Oly qualifier & the Sr. team to see the stark difference in accurate passing, speed, energy chasing 50/50 balls & all around skill level. Or have watched the Mexico game where we were exposed by the green mice.

CP is very public about his desire to play on the Oly team-but Chelsea & other issues might prevent it. Don't do it. If the U-23's make it, they are set up for an early exit, IMO, and a Pulisic can not do much about it (rather like his inclusion on the ill-fated WC qualifier team in 2017-18.)

Did anyone notice Tim Ream on the sideline during Panama game? He looked like he just came off a 3-day drunk & wearing a pro scowl. If he plays vs No. Ireland, I'll be surprised.

Last edited:
So the U-23's fail to qualify for the Olympics. This is bad, as usual lately, but, to me, not the gut punch that still hurts from the epic WC fail of 2 years ago. If Beer?halter finally gives up on Ream & Acosta, and we get Wes McKinnie & Tyler Adams back, not only will we qualify but, IMO, but will make some noise in the WC. This will take the sting off our recent failures & restore some dignity & respect to USA futbol-sadly lacking in the last dozen years.

So the U-23's fail to qualify for the Olympics. This is bad, as usual lately, but, to me, not the gut punch that still hurts from the epic WC fail of 2 years ago. If Beer?halter finally gives up on Ream & Acosta, and we get Wes McKinnie & Tyler Adams back, not only will we qualify but, IMO, but will make some noise in the WC. This will take the sting off our recent failures & restore some dignity & respect to USA futbol-sadly lacking in the last dozen years.
It’s actually good in my opinion. This was a C team since the Europe players weren’t released and even some MLS clubs didn’t send players. They clearly had chemistry and cohesion issues and a couple of guys I would guess were just there to play and try to get elevated not see the program advance just looking at the body language last night. US Soccer is hurting for money. Our best possible Olympic eligible team won’t play so, no need to throw the money at a flawed squad. That said, the guys that could have been on this squad had better be ready to steam roll next year. 3-nil, 4-nil. Neck steppers. Not only no questions asked, but no questions merited.

It’s actually good in my opinion. This was a C team since the Europe players weren’t released and even some MLS clubs didn’t send players. They clearly had chemistry and cohesion issues and a couple of guys I would guess were just there to play and try to get elevated not see the program advance just looking at the body language last night. US Soccer is hurting for money. Our best possible Olympic eligible team won’t play so, no need to throw the money at a flawed squad. That said, the guys that could have been on this squad had better be ready to steam roll next year. 3-nil, 4-nil. Neck steppers. Not only no questions asked, but no questions merited.
Taylor Twellman doesn't see this the same way. It's a massive failure when you consider this is CONCACAF and the US and Mexico at this age group, are head and shoulders above everyone else in the region. Mexico brings it every night, the US does not and that's what he finds unacceptable. I agree. There were a few players that clearly belong on this stage...Yuiell, Mihailovic, Ferreira, Michel, Dotson. I can't say the backline for this group is at the necessary level. Just a bunch of awful decisions and the way they played without focus coming out of the back looked like the way my son's team tried to play out of the back yesterday (it wasn't good). Ochoa, who, IMO, had played well the entire tournament made some unforgivable mistakes yesterday and part of that goes back to the awfulness of the backline. At some point the GK just needs to say screw playing out of the back, I'll take my chances launching a punt or GK...at least that way the defenders can reset their shape.

Taylor Twellman doesn't see this the same way. It's a massive failure when you consider this is CONCACAF and the US and Mexico at this age group, are head and shoulders above everyone else in the region. Mexico brings it every night, the US does not and that's what he finds unacceptable. I agree. There were a few players that clearly belong on this stage...Yuiell, Mihailovic, Ferreira, Michel, Dotson. I can't say the backline for this group is at the necessary level. Just a bunch of awful decisions and the way they played without focus coming out of the back looked like the way my son's team tried to play out of the back yesterday (it wasn't good). Ochoa, who, IMO, had played well the entire tournament made some unforgivable mistakes yesterday and part of that goes back to the awfulness of the backline. At some point the GK just needs to say screw playing out of the back, I'll take my chances launching a punt or GK...at least that way the defenders can reset their shape.
Twellman gets paid to try and attract attention and guilt the teams into creating better tv with better players. Nobody in world football cares about the Olympics except maybe fans of the women’s game and that interest isn’t comparatively high with the WWC.

It would have been good if we could have won. I’m not losing sleep over it as long as it’s all business in the qualifiers.

Apparently CP's hamstring tightness and subsequent removal from Chelsea's EPL match over the weekend was just a precaution as he was just brought on in Chelsea's UCL match against Porto today. Chelsea has been on the front foot since Pulisic came on and have now added a goal to be up 2-0 over Porto in the away leg for Chelsea. They're in a good spot to move on to the semi's already.

He was very unlucky to not get Chelsea's 2nd after rattling the cage with a rocket off the crossbar.

He's Baaaaack! CP gets two in a 4-1 victory over Crystal Palace and just as important, plays the full 90. His power with his left foot is amazing. That 1st goal of his was flat identical to one he scored vs CrystaP during the restart last season. That is to say, he's about 5 yards out, gets a pass & blasts it from a tough angle over the goalies head into the top corner. The same goalie vs the same team in the same (away) stadium, and both times, Palace's goalie ducked his head on both so as to not get it torn off. Stay healthy, young man, just stay healthy.

The Palace keeper should wear a helmet like Alan Meyer used to wear. When the Roughnecks would play indoor at the Pavilion and the Sockers came to town, I’d go down behind the goal and give Meyer so much crap for that stupid helmet he wore. I have pics in a rubber maid somewhere.

When the Roughnecks played outdoors, a guy who could hurt a goalie was Barry Wallace. Still haven't seen anyone who could kick it much harder than Wallace.

A nice week-end for some MNT guys in Europe. A brace for CP as noted above, that "naughty boy" Wes McKinnie scores off the bench for Juve after being set down by his coach for partying hearty in violation of team covid rules and finally, 20 yr old Daryl Dike is almost single handedly leading Barnsley to that playoff spot for promotion to the Prem. 8 goals in 14 games and 3 in the last 2. I wonder if Beer?halter is getting any ideas about replacing Zardes?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT