ADVERTISEMENT

Hope?

"The more things change, the more................." CP starts for Chelsea & gets what appeared to be a knee injury late in a 0-0 draw with Man Utd. We'll see if he goes back on the shelf or not.
It was an ankle sprain/knock. That was a pretty heavy tackle on him.

Well, CP is finally off the schneid. Scored Chelsea's 4th after coming off the bench around 71st min. vs Krasnarok of Upper Slobovia in a group stage ChLg game today. So much for a "sophomore slump". We know he can dramatically change a game & did so today. In about 15 minutes, he causes a hand ball in the box from a shot & then scores himself. Dude is back!

No less than Peter Schmickel was praising the game of 17-yr old Gio Reyna. He started for Dortmund today in a win. McKennie is subbed in today vs Barca. He did well but Juve lost. Finally, Horvath is back on the bench after Mignolet comes back in goal after injury for Club Brugge.

Last edited:
Well, CP is finally off the schneid. Scored Chelsea's 4th after coming off the bench around 71st min. vs Krasnarok of Upper Slobovia in a group stage ChLg game today. So much for a "sophomore slump". We know he can dramatically change a game & did so today. In about 15 minutes, he causes a hand ball in the box from a shot & then scores himself. Dude is back!

No less than Peter Schmickel was praising the game of 17-yr old Gio Reyna. He started for Dortmund today in a win. McKennie is subbed in today vs Barca. He did well but Juve lost. Finally, Horvath is back on the bench after Mignolet comes back in goal after injury for Club Brugge.
Juventus jad 3 goals called back for offside, 2 of which went to VAR they were so close, VAR had them right although the last one was really splitting hairs.

not UCL and probably not yet ready for USMNT keeper yet, Jonathan KlinsmAnn is getting the start in goal for LA Galaxy tonight. I was impressed with him in the U20 WC a couple years ago. He’s got great feet, length, and probably his strongest asset was his distribution. A local GK tells me he doesn’t have the greatest hands.

What the hell! CP is scheduled to start vs Burnley today and somehow injures himself during pre-game warmups. Unbelievable! Don't know the extent of it yet.

• Sad
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
They put them on the team sheet so they get paid, then pull them as a pre-caution if not 100%

Huffy is right about CP getting pulled. He slips during warm-ups & feels "something" in previously injured hamstring. CP was obviously frustrated & not 100% so Frankie yanks him. Hammie is prolly already scanned to check severity. Hope it's minor since USMNT starts practice in 9 days for friendly vs Wales.

When CP had original hamstring injury vs Liverpool, he gets some criticism from no less than Tom Brady for not working out properly related to this type of injury and offering help. While Brady is not exactly known for being a runner, in a 20-yr career he has no doubt had a few & seen it in teammates hundreds of times. Which athlete wouldn't give a 6-time SB champ a call for councel on how to prevent this type of injury?

Last edited:
CP...call Tom Brady, fast. So much for Chelsea & the MNT. We're talking "weeks" for another hamstring injury. This career, so promising at one time, is heading south-fast.

It will be ok. A hamstring is either caused by under training or overtraining. The undertraining injuries are usually the ones that need surgery. The overtraining it’s rest and rehab. He’s not out of shape. That’s evident. He will be ok.

We always seem to have a guy that’s always hurt. Brian Bliss, Chris Armas, John OBrien, Gooch, Jozy, Stuart Holden. We’ve been great with them and without them. And we’ve found some pretty special players without them. Pablo, Jay DeMerit abd others.

It will be fine.

Reactions: quincy101
It will be ok. A hamstring is either caused by under training or overtraining. The undertraining injuries are usually the ones that need surgery. The overtraining it’s rest and rehab. He’s not out of shape. That’s evident. He will be ok.

We always seem to have a guy that’s always hurt. Brian Bliss, Chris Armas, John OBrien, Gooch, Jozy, Stuart Holden. We’ve been great with them and without them. And we’ve found some pretty special players without them. Pablo, Jay DeMerit abd others.

It will be fine.
Claudio was always hurt too (seemingly). Just saw the release for the call-ups for the matches vs Wales and Panama. I LOVE THE GUYS COMING IN AND GETTING A SHOT. Brooks is back. The forwards (including Pulisic) are going to cause problems for opponents. So much speed and skill. It looks like the youth movement starts now and it also appears almost everyone is Europe based right now.

Well, well,well... Huffy started this thread almost a year ago with the word "HOPE" and for the first time, I'm beginning to see it. It appears Beer?halter is finally serious about qualifying & indeed, making some noise in the next WC. And God bless Brian McBride for finally bringing some sanity to calling up players with proper experience to actually compete with intl heavyweights. It appears also that Earnie Stewart has finally seen the light so I take back all the nasty comments aimed at him.

These guys all have int'l experience and are, for the most part, young. Not only do they all have a year & a half to get better, but a chance to bring back relevance to the red, white & blue for years to come. Although there are several who I don't know much about, the fact that they are getting a chance to show their stuff is very, very encouraging. Halellujah!!!

It’s pretty clear they are tired of getting their butt kicked at the Olympics and recognize the value in testing/mixing unproven young talent with a select group of senior members that setting gives you.

I just glanced through it, but if you knock out the three guys over 23 on the roster and everyone else is roughly under 23 when the Olympics happ. That tells me they are build a spine for that competition.

The last time we did something like this was 1999. And we saw what happened in 2002.

Well, well,well... Huffy started this thread almost a year ago with the word "HOPE" and for the first time, I'm beginning to see it. It appears Beer?halter is finally serious about qualifying & indeed, making some noise in the next WC. And God bless Brian McBride for finally bringing some sanity to calling up players with proper experience to actually compete with intl heavyweights. It appears also that Earnie Stewart has finally seen the light so I take back all the nasty comments aimed at him.

These guys all have int'l experience and are, for the most part, young. Not only do they all have a year & a half to get better, but a chance to bring back relevance to the red, white & blue for years to come. Although there are several who I don't know much about, the fact that they are getting a chance to show their stuff is very, very encouraging. Halellujah!!!
Some of the decision makers understand that the only way for SUM/MLS to remain relevant is for the USMNT to be in the World Cup. It generates excitement and exposure for the game, especially at the youth levels. That is where the money for both those entities will come from. The backwards notion of putting/requiring MLS players on the squad will generate more interest was puzzling. As always, the US tries to build things backwards (trickle down interest/trickle down economies) simply isn't the correct way. Interest in European soccer is from youth on up. I do believe some of the players that will be called up for qualifying haven't been called up for this set because of where the MLS season is. Guys like Aaronson and Jordan Morris (while I think there may be better options, Morris is still a favorite with USMNT).

It was never about interest. It was about money. Getting players capped so they could get work permits. That and the 2010 generation retired to MLS and they sold tickets.

Some of the decision makers understand that the only way for SUM/MLS to remain relevant is for the USMNT to be in the World Cup. It generates excitement and exposure for the game, especially at the youth levels. That is where the money for both those entities will come from. The backwards notion of putting/requiring MLS players on the squad will generate more interest was puzzling. As always, the US tries to build things backwards (trickle down interest/trickle down economies) simply isn't the correct way. Interest in European soccer is from youth on up. I do believe some of the players that will be called up for qualifying haven't been called up for this set because of where the MLS season is. Guys like Aaronson and Jordan Morris (while I think there may be better options, Morris is still a favorite with USMNT).
Arguably Aron Johansson, remember him from Iceland, is the most in form striker in the pool right now.

Of course futbol is important in next years' Olympics (if actually held) if for no other reason than to see which new guys can hack it. And I expect our youngsters to do well in it. But the real prize, as we all realize, is the World Cup. To regain our relevance in Planet Earth's biggest & most important sporting event is my most fervent HOPE!

Reactions: HuffyCane
Arguably Aron Johansson, remember him from Iceland, is the most in form striker in the pool right now.
He's not on the call-ups right now and it doesn't appear there are any MLS call-ups with this group. Which is fine. Berhalter will be in heap of trouble on deciding his qualifying squads if these Europe based players perform well in the 2 upcoming friendlies. If we're talking MLS based players who deserve to be a part of the squad or at least train with a chance at it:
Aaronson, Morris, Arriola, and maybe Dike. I can't think of a single defender from MLS that should be there over what was called up this month. Maybe one guy in for Ream but I couldn't name that player now.

I love what this group looks like right now. The creativity and skill in this group of MF and F is excellent. We still need to identify who the 6 will be as that player will be the key to all counter attacks and successfully playing out of the back against high pressing teams like Mexico and any CONMEBOL squad.

To be clear. This game is happening because Wales needs the money and wants it. They were unable to get authorization for anyone to travel from the USA. That’s part of the reason you are seeing new names and a game in Europe. I’ll be surprised if it’s played. You practically can’t go out in London and get a pack of cigs right now.

To be clear. This game is happening because Wales needs the money and wants it. They were unable to get authorization for anyone to travel from the USA. That’s part of the reason you are seeing new names and a game in Europe. I’ll be surprised if it’s played. You practically can’t go out in London and get a pack of cigs right now.
I don't care why it's happening. We need it to be played. The Euro based guys will probably be enough to beat them. The fact that the roster is extremely young overall is a good thing. Ream, Miazga, Brooks seem to be the oldest guys on the roster unless I'm missing something.

Very excited to watch Sebastian Soto vs Wales. Carrot Top is out on a covid beef. Kid isn't Altidore large but has some size at 6' 170. He needs to score or assist to impress Beer?halter for future use & to get that signature on the USA dotted line. Chile is after him hard.

CP, who wanted to spend some time with his compatriots @ MNT camp, has departed camp for West London to "continue his rehab with Chelsea". I was pretty impressed with one of the two fullbacks for Fulham (& it isn't Tim Ream) last Sat. Antonee Robinson looks like he could be our left back for a long time. Plays well at both ends of the pitch. Got some speed, gets in to the attack & defends well. One assumes he'll start for Beer?halter on the left.

CP, who wanted to spend some time with his compatriots @ MNT camp, has departed camp for West London to "continue his rehab with Chelsea". I was pretty impressed with one of the two fullbacks for Fulham (& it isn't Tim Ream) last Sat. Antonee Robinson looks like he could be our left back for a long time. Plays well at both ends of the pitch. Got some speed, gets in to the attack & defends well. One assumes he'll start for Beer?halter on the left.
Over Ream? I am assuming Miazga and Brooks are the CBs, Berhalter has been using Ream on the left and a combo of Cannon/Yedlin on the right. The right side is where our attack really takes off out of the back. Also, you've now got Dest in the mix and I believe he was used as right back his last appearance. It is going to be imperative we find a GOOD #6. One who looks for space up field and isn't satisfied with making 20 tic tac passes to his CBs. As good as I thought Bradley was, he got way too complacent in trying to advance the ball in more recent years and hence why it was so easy for teams like Mexico to high press us into a mistake. That 6 also has to have the work rate to recover on defense when the counter comes. Everyone loves to move forward but it's really the teams committed to get back on defense who really make hay.

No one doubts the US' ability to attack and create chances on goal. Can we do that and not be susceptible to the counters. We always were because our CB situation was very unsettled. No one back there with the pure speed and physicality to slow counters down. And when we have Steffen back there, our defenders don't really have an option of playing the ball back to restart things (I can't speak for Horvath's ability to play with his feet or even the new guy back there). This means our defenders have to be even better. With Dest and Cannon on the outsides (and whoever else they're bringing in, Robinson maybe), the US and every team we play against knows we want to attack with the outside defenders. This puts a ton of pressure on your 3, 4, 6 and 8 players to commit to defending.

Looks like Berhalter is using Adams as the 6 today. I've liked what I've seen. Wales doesn't have the type of players up top that can pressure the US. Brooks has looked comfortable at the 3 and has certainly controlled that part of the field. Attack has been quick. Dest has been phenomenal on the right and jumping into the attack . The attack as a whole has been nice to watch. Reyna, Musah, Lletget McKennie have all gotten into some really nice flow and dangerous space. Musah gives the US a Mane type of player capable of going directly at a defender. Still need to find a finish on one of these attacks. WHen you watch, Reyna looks like the most skilled player on the field for either side.

Just score world class goals like this and we'll be fine. That's why I'm so intrigued by that Dike/Dyke/Pike guy that Huffy mentioned. We should have a pool six-deep of guys like this ...

Wales ain't chopped liver in Europe(even without C. Bale) and our MNT which hadn't played in 10 months & with all these youngsters who had a whole 2 days of practice, did well in an 0-0 tie. Of course, we didn't have CP either & he could have changed the game-as he so often does- in that 2nd half.

A. Robinson got the start & looked awful for the 1st 15 minutes, then settled down the rest of the way. John Brooks was a rock.

Steffen wasn't busy & did fine when needed. Very exciting stuff with a ton of youngsters & guys getting their 1st cap. Feeling much better about qualifying.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Wales ain't chopped liver in Europe(even without C. Bale) and our MNT which hadn't played in 10 months & with all these youngsters who had a whole 2 days of practice, did well in an 0-0 tie. Of course, we didn't have CP either & he could have changed the game-as he so often does- in that 2nd half.

A. Robinson got the start & looked awful for the 1st 15 minutes, then settled down the rest of the way. John Brooks was a rock.

Steffen wasn't busy & did fine when needed. Very exciting stuff with a ton of youngsters & guys getting their 1st cap. Feeling much better about qualifying.
There was a lot of criticism on social media, but when you realize the avg age of the US starters was like 21, it's not so bad. I love Reyna and his game. McKennie looked more authoritative and decisive. I liked what we rolled out in the back with Robinson and Dest. And knowing there are others not with the team right now who can help contribute is encouraging. Tyler Adams in the 6 was a boost as well. USMNT will be fine and everyone criticizing a team that has never played together before can get over it. Give them a summer training and prep for qualifying and I think this group could be very dangerous.

The kid Musah who played with a smile on his face the whole time gets my vote. He was having the time of his life.

Check that grin. He ain’t Timmy “I don’t want to be here if I have to sweat” Chandler, that’s for sure.

Hard to believe he’s 17 and could play with that level of physicality for that long without any major fouls or a card. I’ll be eyeballing him.

https://www.onegoal.us/articles/2020/11/12/onegoal-usmnt-player-ratings-usa-v-wales?format=amp

No more USMNT futbol till June, 2021, after demolishing poor Panama, 6-2. A brace from Giocchini. And how thoughtful of Beer?halter to give Sebastian Soto a shot around the 80th minute. All the kid does in his 12-13 minutes is head in the US' 4th & 6th goals. If the coach doesn't call him up next year, Beer?halter will confirm his blithering idiot status. Still, excitement builds with the Euro youngsters showing so well.

I fear, however, that Beer?halter will screw this up by dropping several of these guys for "veterans", the same guys that failed so miserably 2 years ago.

By the way, young Musah did well today & against Wales. Another one that must be called up next year. Or, Gareth Southgate will snag him for England. Southgate is mad because Musah played in our friendlies & will probably be working on him hard for England.

Last edited:
I am not convinced who we are going to call upon up top.

Obviously, Altidore and Sargent are going to get looks but I am not in on Weah yet. I am not even totally convinced he should make the team.

I would like to see Dike, an Oklahoma boy, get a look see. The dude is 6'3 and 225.

Altidore-no! Zardes-no! Morris-no! Carrot Top-yes! Pulisic-HA! Giaocchini-maybe! Soto-yes!(all this kid does is score, at whatever level) & add Johannson; and Tim Ream-oh my goodness-he plays good until he doesn't. He had an excellent view of Panama's 1st goal. Standing in front of our net & 5-6 feet from the guy who heads it in, he fails to close him down. His quick little naps cost us every single time. Miazga, too. He was also 5-6 feet from the goal scorer as the cross came in, same result.

Altidore-no! Zardes-no! Morris-no! Carrot Top-yes! Pulisic-HA! Giaocchini-maybe! Soto-yes!(all this kid does is score, at whatever level) & add Johannson; and Tim Ream-oh my goodness-he plays good until he doesn't. He had an excellent view of Panama's 1st goal. Standing in front of our net & 5-6 feet from the guy who heads it in, he fails to close him down. His quick little naps cost us every single time. Miazga, too. He was also 5-6 feet from the goal scorer as the cross came in, same result.
Altidore and Zardes need to be memories for USMNT. I think Morris can still serve a purpose as a late sub. He has way more offensive creativity than people like to give credit for.

I don't know about Weah...just haven't seen enough of him. I unfortunately didn't see the game. Did Brooks play? I like Miazga back there but only with Brooks. Ream's days are numbers as I think the US has a ton of outside defenders way more talented defensively and who are willing to join in and be a factor in the attack. Ream simply doesn't check either of those boxes for me. Musah is a hard yes for me and the US should look to lock him in as soon as they can. He's a little Sadio Mane/Naby Keita for me. Berhalter can promise him more and earlier playing time than England can. He'd play in some stupid game for England to get locked in and not see the side in a match that counts for 8 more years.

I think you are too in the moment. We always have a few guys that have flashes of brilliance. MLS is stronger than Dutch second division. I am not saying he shouldn't get ashot. We have had college guys do pretty well at the national team level in the past, but I am not all in after one game.

Yo, Drools: If you are referring to 20-yr old Sebastian Soto, it was he & Alex Gomez who led the US U-20's to the Q-finals of a World Cup a couple of years ago. Four & six respectively against top competition, the best in the world for that age group. Now that Soto has his work permit issues settled, expect him to put up some big numbers with Norwich in the English Championship. And btw, is the MLS stronger than the English Championship, the England 2nd division? Tough question but I would have to say .....No!

Sergino Dest scores Barca's 1st goal today in a 4-0 win over Dynamo Kiev in the ChLg today. Barca's a lock to win their group. Big time stuff for Dest. I expect CP to finally get some minutes for Chelsea vs Tottenham this Sunday in a huge match for both teams.

BTW, I was wrong about S. Soto joining Norwich in the English Championship anytime soon. The rules for getting a work permit are so convoluted as to be bizarre. The # of games for the USMNT, Brexit, how hard Norwich is working on his behalf & many other rules & regs. Soto may get loaned out to another bigger club in Jan. '21 & join the Canaries after that. If he makes it to the club, Norwich City leads the Championship now & if their form keeps up, should get promoted to the Prem. Another Yank(hopefully-not Chilean) in the EPL would be wonderful.

Last edited:
Never see much talk about the women’s National team but I love to watch the ladies play. The assist by Kristen Press on the second goal today was nothing short of great. Good to see Alex Morgan on the field again also.

Reactions: TU_BLA and TU4ever2
CP finally gets off the shelf for a whole 17 minutes Sunday in a top 3 EPL match with Tottenham(0-0). Had a few good moments in his short time. I know that Frankie is concerned about his match fitness after being off so long.

Just watched Fulham vs LeisterCity in a 2-1 Fulham win. They are still relegation bait but the win gives them 1 point clear. Anyway, Antonee Robinson continues to start at left back for Scott Parker(whileTim Ream rides the pine). This kid just gets better every game. Plus I love his speed which leads Parker to turn him loose in to the attack. Once again, this 20-yr old just might become the MNT's left back for the next 10 years.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Never see much talk about the women’s National team but I love to watch the ladies play. The assist by Kristen Press on the second goal today was nothing short of great. Good to see Alex Morgan on the field again also.
LaVelle's goal was a freaking gem. The run, the pass, the touch inside to the left and finally the shot just inside the far post and just under the cross bar. GK stood there like..."Did that just happen?"

Reactions: nevadanatural
CP finally gets off the shelf for a whole 17 minutes Sunday in a top 3 EPL match with Tottenham(0-0). Had a few good moments in his short time. I know that Frankie is concerned about his match fitness after being off so long.

Just watched Fulham vs LeisterCity in a 2-1 Fulham win. They are still relegation bait but the win gives them 1 point clear. Anyway, Antonee Robinson continues to start at left back for Scott Parker(whileTim Ream rides the pine). This kid just gets better every game. Plus I love his speed which leads Parker to turn him loose in to the attack. Once again, this 20-yr old just might become the MNT's left back for the next 10 years.
Fulham probably should have added a couple more but Leicester also crapped the bed on quite a few chances. I wonder if Robinson or Dest feel comfortable switching to the right back. Having both on the field would be nice and also having Cannon able to come off the bench or spell someone in a tournament that has quick turnarounds would be nice as well. The only way Ream sees the field for USMNT again is if they are hit with a rash of injuries OR they're playing a slower more physical team up top. Ream seems to hold his own against players like that. But I'd take Yedlin over Ream at this point.

crapped the bed
Seven Yanks in a half-dozen ChLg games yesterday, including Dest & de la Fuente for Barca in a win. CP started for Chelsea in a 4-0 blowout of Sevilla & looked dangerous for 65 minutes until subbed out.(Olivier Giroud scored all four & Chelsea won their group-Vive La France!) Tyler Adams & Leipzig could advance to the knock-out rounds with a win coming up in a tough group. I believe McKennie & Juve must win their 6th & final group stage game to advance. Reyna started for Dortmund & did his usual excellent thing.

Now, all Beer?halter has to do to not "crap the bed" is simply supplement these young Euro guys with a couple or three of the best MLS guys & we're in like flynn. CONCACAF is meat & these guys are hungry.

Last edited:
Chelsea vs Leeds Utd. today & CP comes off the bench around minute 26 to replace an injured Chelsea winger. It takes him long enough but he ices a 3-1 win with Chelsea's 3rd in stoppage time. And it was beautiful. Tino Werner gets a thru ball down the right side & slides it to Pulisic in front of the net who redirects it past the Leeds keeper. Werner & Pulisic are the 2 fastest guys on the team & speed kills.

Oh, it was Fat City for some Yanks in Europe yesterday. Aside from CP's blistering run in to the box for Chelsea's 3rd, Gio Reyna scores an absolute stunner for Dortmund to tie that match up in a win and Weston McKinnie does the same for Juve to tie their match up in a win. USA, USA!

And here's some more exciting news for the USMNT: Sebastian Soto gets a red card, has to miss a game in the Dutch 2nd Div (6 goals in 9 games), & Beer?halter promptly calls him up for a just now scheduled friendly with El Salvador this Wednesday. Also, Huffy's favorite youngster, Y. Musah, gets a 5-yr extension with Valencia in La Liga. Finally, has anyone heard of a 19 yr-old left-back named Travian Sousa? This kid is getting very strong interest from Liverpool & ManUtd among others in the EPL. He has a Portugues passport so his work permit in England should be easier. He'll likely be signed by some English club before end of the year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT