ADVERTISEMENT

Hope?

That
Jesse was always one of my favorite MLS players because he ran his mouth and tackled with two feet. Just like me.

But he burned a lot of bridges. And he only had like 2 courtesy caps. They want someone who has played in a WC and speaks Spanish. He’s learning quick and could be special soon. That could mend some bridges he’s burned. Not this cycle though.

Epic speech deserves a 10th listen. “Zu Veil Respect for the Geg Na!” Lol

That rant was epic. I am so fired up right. I am ready to get out to the O30s and two foot someone.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I remember the name(Demerit)but never heard his story. Great stuff & thanks.
Played every minute of the 2009 Confed Cup. We broke Spain’s 32 game winning streak. What may be the biggest win in USA history until we win a World Cup. He bit through his tongue in the first half and refused to be subbed. They removed more than a pint of blood from his stomach, but not before he chugged beers shirtless with Bill Clinton. He played every minute of the 2010 WC. He wasn’t on the team two years prior and was trusted alongside dudes that had trained together for 12 years to get ready for those games. You know you are a great defender when people have a vague recollection of you ten years later. They never called your name because you were always doing your job: they played away from you, you were denying the ball or closing space. We need three more DeMerits. Two in the back and one at the 8. CP and Weston are nice, but we need the intensity of Jay in the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: quincy101
Apparently CP has recovered from his hamstring thing & will play for Chelsea on this Monday vs Brighton, along with Kai Havertz(this kid is definitely world class) & Timo Werner(samey same). Both are recent parts of Chelsea's 200million+ British pounds worth of xfers this window.

We'll see if CP starts or comes off the bench. Whether all these new guys will make a difference for Chelsea will soon be evident.

BTW, CP was assigned the #10 jersey & the Chelsea & Brit press are all over it. Apparently quite an honor since the #10 has been worn by guys like Joe Cole, Willian & of course, Eden Hazard.

Last edited:
CP should be starting. While Mount and Abraham can create for themselves, they are not nearly as dynamic as CP is. Watch how teams defend CP versus defending Mount or Abraham. CP always drew 2-3 defenders plus a cheating CB to his side as a safety valve. Teams know how technically good CP is in tight spots and actually respect that ability a ton which opens spaces for teammates.

It’s a laugh when Chelsea talk about tradition. Kinda like UCF talking about all their legends who wore #8 or something.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
It’s a laugh when Chelsea talk about tradition. Kinda like UCF talking about all their legends who wore #8 or something.

I believe it was Rodney Marsh upon leaving Chelsea for the Tampa Bay Rowdies, who said, "English futbol is a grey game played by grey people on grey days."

I never much cared for Chelsea either (but always respected guys like Drogba, Terry, Hazard, Lampard, et al), but got over it when CP joined the club. This is no longer your Daddy's Chelsea with a ton of young, world class talent. They didn't spend a dime of Roman Abramovich's rubles in the last 2 transfer windows. Banned in one & chose not to participate in the other.

However, he has opened his heart & check book for Frank Lampard in this window. New guys like Ben Chilwell at left back, Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech from Ajax, Kai Havertz & a hot new goalie named Edouard Mendy from Rennes, Fr. Add these studs to guys like Mason Mount, C. Pulisic & Tammy Abraham & you may very well have consistent EPL title contenders for years to come.

All noted above are 25 or younger, although they've also added Thiago Silva (age 35) on a free xfer to solidify their middle defense & mentor the youngsters with his vast experience. Ya'll can keep poor-mouthing the Blues. I, for one, have jumped on board for what may prove to be a wild ride to the top.

They bought up a lot of really young talent and put it on loan hoping it would pay off. It didn’t. They had debts to pay. They are clear on a lot of that now and can spend.

They bought up a lot of really young talent and put it on loan hoping it would pay off. It didn’t. They had debts to pay. They are clear on a lot of that now and can spend.
Mourinho’s last couple of seasons really did a number on their books because they had a ton of overpriced players. He did the same thing at ManU which ended poorly and you’ve now seen a youth movement there. Waiting for his time at Spurs to blow up leaving all the talent there wanting out. Kane’s already unhappy, their backline is a wreck (seems to be a pattern with Mourinho)

I am assuming Pulisic is still not fit. He was not even in the 20 to dress for Chelsea today. If he is fit and not even dressed, they need to move him now.

According to Frankie after the match, CP had some soreness in recent practice & will miss some more games. Mentally, he obviously dealt with recent injuries with no problem. However, you might wonder how this is going to affect him between the ears if it keeps up.

Reyna scored for Dortmund today. Good stuff. NBC is screwing us and only putting the dog games on NBCSN right now trying to get people to pay for the extra games on Peacock. Will miss all the best games now like tomorrow’s match between a Chelsea and Liverpool. Guess what....**** NBC. Guess I won’t watch anymore and I can stick to Bundesliga on ESPN+

Sounds like Dest is deciding betwen Bayern Munich and Barcelona as his next destination. If I were him I'd avoid Barca right now. Looks like the rat jumping from the Titanic there. Messi stayed but Ear Chewer Suarez is leaving as are some others. Bayern may be the best club in the world right now in terms of on field play.

Geez, Bla-I thought Liverpool was the best club team on the planet. One year removed from Euro champs & made short work of the EPL. Sure would be interesting to see a best 2 out of 3 against Barca.

Geez, Bla-I thought Liverpool was the best club team on the planet. One year removed from Euro champs & made short work of the EPL. Sure would be interesting to see a best 2 out of 3 against Barca.
It has nothing to do with me being a fan of Liverpool but I'm not laying out anymore $ for add'l streaming services when I already pay good $ for other services and NBC is hiding ALL the good games behind the Peacock Premium. It's almost as if they're trying to destroy the viewership base they've built up over the last 6 years. I'm used to watching games pretty much every Saturday/Sunday/Monday but I didn't get to watch a single game this weekend b/c of the way they're scheduling their over the air games now and the games that are broadcast are terrible matchups.

It has nothing to do with me being a fan of Liverpool but I'm not laying out anymore $ for add'l streaming services when I already pay good $ for other services and NBC is hiding ALL the good games behind the Peacock Premium. It's almost as if they're trying to destroy the viewership base they've built up over the last 6 years. I'm used to watching games pretty much every Saturday/Sunday/Monday but I didn't get to watch a single game this weekend b/c of the way they're scheduling their over the air games now and the games that are broadcast are terrible matchups.

OT a lil, but I worry about this with our conference for the plus part of the deal. ECU/UCF was on plus till earlier today, now it moved to ABC.

In a non-soccer related theme, I have enjoyed the extra AFL coverage covid brought. I have a nice deal for the app, but some friends have watched the games on FS/ESPN since they stumbled on them after watching occassionally with me before.

I noticed the EPL fanbase growing from NBC exposure, dumb to mess with that.

Reactions: TU_BLA
OT a lil, but I worry about this with our conference for the plus part of the deal. ECU/UCF was on plus till earlier today, now it moved to ABC.

In a non-soccer related theme, I have enjoyed the extra AFL coverage covid brought. I have a nice deal for the app, but some friends have watched the games on FS/ESPN since they stumbled on them after watching occassionally with me before.

I noticed the EPL fanbase growing from NBC exposure, dumb to mess with that.
I think the ESPN+ part of things is a little different. There is a ton of content I watch on there including Bundesliga, USL, MLS, Serie A, etc. matches plus a lot of the English FA cup games and Carabao, etc. AND all of the college football and basketball content. Add to it that you can bundle it with Hulu and Disney + for a whopping $12.99 a month and it's a worthwhile investment. The only content I would be paying the extra $5 for on Peacock Premium is the EPL stuff. I have the regular free Peacock and have gone back to watching Heroes again on it but there's not a ton of other stuff that I am all in on with it. HBO Max had a better trove of content...I only did the free 3months for being a DirectTV customer and ditched it after that probably because there's little content on there that I would watch and it's not worth the extra $15/month to me. If there was ever a way to ditch DirectTV and find the right amount of streaming services that had enough of the live TV(little) we watch, we'd probably do it but the one service that seemed to meet our viewing habits was discontinued (PS Vue).

CP is back to the squad. However, he only gets subbed in with 8 minutes to go & didn't do much. His PT will surely increase as the games come thick & fast for Chelsea.

CP is back to the squad. However, he only gets subbed in with 8 minutes to go & didn't do much. His PT will surely increase as the games come thick & fast for Chelsea.
Even better than that, Gio Reyna has scored or assisted on 5 of Dortmund’s Last 9 goals. They are scoring a ton and he and Haaland have some real chemistry up top. Pretty sure Dortmund will sell both of them for a pretty penny in 2-3 years.

Even better than that, Gio Reyna has scored or assisted on 5 of Dortmund’s Last 9 goals. They are scoring a ton and he and Haaland have some real chemistry up top. Pretty sure Dortmund will sell both of them for a pretty penny in 2-3 years.
I read the other day that Dortmund had a net profit of €220 million off player sales last year after their current roster salaries were subtracted. They are selling players, covering payroll, and banking the balance. They are the new Ajax.

I read the other day that Dortmund had a net profit of €220 million off player sales last year after their current roster salaries were subtracted. They are selling players, covering payroll, and banking the balance. They are the new Ajax.
That figure gets even more impressive if you go back 5 & 7 years. They are identifying and developing younger players maybe better than any other club worldwide.

Three assists for Gio on the weekend on a 4-0 win over Freiburg. Limited crowd have standing ovation when he came off. We might have our new Landon. Some exciting possibilities here with CP drifting wide on the left wing, Dest advancing from left back tucking in and forcing the defense to account for Gio’s playmaking from a withdrawn center also drifting towards his left foot. Serious overload potential when trailing late.

Gio

How about McKennie in the middle feeding those boys? And Adams helping to protect our left flank & getting into the attack? I'm starting to salivate over the possibilities.

How about McKennie in the middle feeding those boys? And Adams helping to protect our left flank & getting into the attack? I'm starting to salivate over the possibilities.
It’s from famine to feast. You can play Adams over there and cover on defense for the world class speed and ball handling of Dest and the creativity of CP moving forward. Total over load.

Or Chris Richards on the left, also moving forward. With Dest on the right. But that puts Cannon on the bench and that dude screams USA Player. He’s just our prototype of player. It’s hard to bench him and he could be starting in Europe in his own right shortly.

Did you ever or even 2 years ago think you’d live in a world where an American, Richards, would start and register an assist to Lewandowski for Bayern and it be maybe the 4th most important story in American soccer over a weekend. A story missed by most soccer fans and forgotten by Tuesday.

Crazy, but very encouraging times. We have Hope gentlemen and it ain’t some drunk diva crashing the team van.

I think it was Bayern's 4th or 5th goal & Lewandowsi gets on the scoresheet. If Richard's keeps feeding the big dog, he'll have a very influential friend & teammate.

Is there any way that Beer?halter would NOT choose heavily from the Yanks in Europe? Enough of this overweight MLS squad crap. You pick the best & brightest & we all know where they are playing now.

FoxSoccer just tweeted out a graphic that there are 10 Americans named to UCL teams for the upcoming season. Why would we ever see a majority of MLS players on the USMNT side in the qualifying cycle?

FoxSoccer just tweeted out a graphic that there are 10 Americans named to UCL teams for the upcoming season. Why would we ever see a majority of MLS players on the USMNT side in the qualifying cycle?
Because their teams won’t release them, even though technically they have to. Also, thanks to the women’s side complaints, they have to tell millionaires to fly coach from Germany to Trinidad or pay for it themselves.

I used to have a couple of friends that worked for US Soccer for a decades. They are still friends, but they got laid off. Both are so done with that place they won’t even talk about club soccer.

FoxSoccer just tweeted out a graphic that there are 10 Americans named to UCL teams
There's a couple of guys on this list that I have been touting for the past couple of years that I hope(but doubt) will be on Beer?halters' next list. First, Ethan Horvath should be our #1 goalie, IMO. The 25 yr-old has improved immensely in Europe with Club Brugge in Belgium. Zack Steffen is good but he's not getting much PT with Man City which is a necessity. Next is Alex Mendez with Ajax who really tore it up with the US U-20's in their last WC. The kid can score & if his passing has improved in Europe, he should be considered for center midfield, thereby relieving McKennie to be an attacking winger.

Unfortunately, word is that Beer?halter is still in love with Will Trapp. Uh Oh!

I don’t think there’s any doubt Steffen remains Number One. Mendez hasn’t played enough. Maybe a season as a senior and without regular time until Ajax. Who are you going to bench in the midfield for that? It’s a crowded two deep in the middle. You’ll likely see guys on the two deep that can play multiple positions or sides if they are needed off the bench. I’m not sure he fits the bill.

I don’t think there’s any doubt Steffen remains Number One. Mendez hasn’t played enough. Maybe a season as a senior and without regular time until Ajax. Who are you going to bench in the midfield for that? It’s a crowded two deep in the middle. You’ll likely see guys on the two deep that can play multiple positions or sides if they are needed off the bench. I’m not sure he fits the bill.
We need to find a 6 and get Trapp out of the rotation permanently. It’s probably not what McKennie wants to do but he’s better suited for that role than some of the others.

CP is back & started today & played 83 mins. Looked dangerous as usual & got an assist(if the EPL gives an assist for the first of 2 pass leading to a goal).

BTW, is scoring last to win a strategy? Roman A. spent a ton on new guys, most of whom are attacking players and good ones. Meanwhile, conceding goals is still a major problemo. Frankie needs defensive help & doesn't have it (although Thiago Silva didn't play). Maybe in the Jan. xfer window.

CP is back & started today & played 83 mins. Looked dangerous as usual & got an assist(if the EPL gives an assist for the first of 2 pass leading to a goal).

BTW, is scoring last to win a strategy? Roman A. spent a ton on new guys, most of whom are attacking players and good ones. Meanwhile, conceding goals is still a major problemo. Frankie needs defensive help & doesn't have it (although Thiago Silva didn't play). Maybe in the Jan. xfer window.
Secondary assists are not a thing in soccer although they should be. I usually think of this when Liverpool is playing and Jordan Henderson, Andy Robertson, or TAA send one of those ridiculous diagonal attacking crosses across to Mane, Firmino, or Salah who then make an easy pass back across the open space setting up a goal. I'd say 60% of LFC's goals are triggered by those attacking diagonal crosses.

Chelsea looked much more dangerous with Pulisic on with Werner and Havertz. CPs runs alone drew the attention of 2-3 defenders often leaving some wide space for Werner to operate in.

Other EPL Notes from the weekend: Aston Villa is the real deal. For a club who is often battling just to stay out of the relegation zone year to year, they really are a dangerous attacking team. Like ridiculously dangerous. Unlike Leeds whose attack leaves them extremely vulnerable to being countered, Aston's attack doesn't seem to leave them all that vulnerable. Grealish is a freaking under rated monster up front too. Really excellent technically and one of the more powerful shots you'll see.

VAR is a disaster the way it is implemented. I really think EPL needs to look at the MLS model of VAR telling the ref he may have missed something and to go look at it again. Instead, someone in a booth somewhere is drawing CAD lines and taking 10 minutes to determine a player's armpit hair was in an offside position. Again, where is the "clear and obvious" standard? Also, in the Everton and LFC match, Pickford should have been given a straight red in the 10th minute. Regardless of whether or not van Dijk was deemed to be offside, the challenge was extremely dangerous and reckless (as proven by the fact that van Dijk will now miss the next 9 months recovering from a torn ACL and the subsequent surgery).

How long does Mourinho last at Spurs? That team cannot hold a lead if his life depended on it. Up 3-0 in the first 25 minutes and they concede 3 goals after the 84th minute (last at 90+4) to give away 2 pts and end up with a draw with West Ham.

That offsides VAR call against Liverpool was ridiculous & screwed them out of the winning goal. Sorry to hear about Virgil's injury.

Several of those ten Yanks played in the ChLg today in the first batch of group games, the rest tomorrow. Tyler Adams did well & Leipzig won. CP played 88 mins. & looked kind of tired. Suck it up boy, Frankie gonna play your butt into shape. I think young Reyna played for Dortmund who got thumped, 2-0.

Finally, Ethan Horvath started for Club Brugge(Belgium) & gave up a bad break goal. A rocket comes in & as he's lunging for it, it comes hard off the post, ricochets off him & in. Still, he made some excellent stops late to preserve Brugge's 2-1 victory vs Zenit of St. Pete. Come on, Beer?halter, give this kid a chance.

I signed up for CBS All Access & if today is an example of how they roll, fuggidabboudit. At halftime, no less than 5 streaming matches never made it out of the locker room, including Chelsea & Dortmund. Nothin, zip,zilch,bupkis. Somebody pulled the plug on the feed for 5 games.

ESPN or Fox need to get UCL rights...hell even NBC Sports. I love NBC's coverage of EPL. CBS hiding all the games behind a pay wall that evidently sucks is going to destroy UCL in the US. Sad thing is, they're not showing any whole game live over the air and we get stuck with watching the replay of the Jim Rome show or Boomer Esiason's radio show from the AM.

"The more things change, the more................." CP starts for Chelsea & gets what appeared to be a knee injury late in a 0-0 draw with Man Utd. We'll see if he goes back on the shelf or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT