ADVERTISEMENT

Hope?

Speaking of the defense, do George Bello, James Sands, or for that matter, Miles Robinson, have much, if any, international experience ?? Of course, Beer?halter must think they have enough stuff to deal with concacaf opponents-and they pretty much proved they can. But the best of the best, which they will be facing in the WC Finals, is something they've never been up against before. IMO, Beer?halter is flirting with disaster with these guys.

Speaking of the defense, do George Bello, James Sands, or for that matter, Miles Robinson, have much, if any, international experience ?? Of course, Beer?halter must think they have enough stuff to deal with concacaf opponents-and they pretty much proved they can. But the best of the best, which they will be facing in the WC Finals, is something they've never been up against before. IMO, Beer?halter is flirting with disaster with these guys.
Robinson and Sands just helped the US win the Gold Cup, so they have experience. Robinson played really well that tournament and IMO should be in line to start at one of the CB positions alongside Brooks. Sands also played well in the Gold Cup. He was more of a hybrid outside defender, wing MF type of player. He was solid in his role. I don't see him starting or playing over the other options at outside back.

You can also look at how crowded the MF/F spots are....no Arriola this time around. I like him as a change of pace wing. He's got a ton of pace and coming in late in games can put a ton of pressure on the backline of opponents. That tells you about the quality of the players the US can select from. No Dike, Hoppe, Arriola, Chris Richards, Reggie Cannon and a few more.

Busio started for Venezia today in Serie A.

Reyna had a goal in Dortmund's 3-2 win over Hoffenheim. Dortmund's defense is something awful

Hoppe is dealing with his club situation. He's trying to get out of division 2 in Germany. I'm sure he doesn't want to get injured and hurt his transfer value. Same goes for Chris Richards, though Richards is trying to figure out how to get more playing time since he's at Bayern.

Pepi seems like he could eventually be the real deal. He's got a ton of talent.

Robinson and Sands just helped the US win the Gold Cup, so they have experience. Robinson played really well that tournament and IMO should be in line to start at one of the CB positions alongside Brooks. Sands also played well in the Gold Cup. He was more of a hybrid outside defender, wing MF type of player. He was solid in his role. I don't see him starting or playing over the other options at outside back.

You can also look at how crowded the MF/F spots are....no Arriola this time around. I like him as a change of pace wing. He's got a ton of pace and coming in late in games can put a ton of pressure on the backline of opponents. That tells you about the quality of the players the US can select from. No Dike, Hoppe, Arriola, Chris Richards, Reggie Cannon and a few more.
Arriola is injured. Dike is injured and transferring.

Arriola is injured. Dike is injured and transferring.

Pepi seems like he could eventually be the real deal. He's got a ton of talent.
Haven't seen this kid play, but from all reports, he will be another marble in the bag of USMNT stars that will one day make the rest of the world take notice and fear playing the USA in futbol. And btw, as of a couple days ago, Pepi had still not decided on whether to choose the US or Mex for his ntl. team services.

Fortunately, he chose us while sticking it again to the Mexican NT and their lovely fans. It's not been a real good couple months south of the Rio Grande. (unless less you're crossing it headed north).

Haven't seen this kid play, but from all reports, he will be another marble in the bag of USMNT stars that will one day make the rest of the world take notice and fear playing the USA in futbol. And btw, as of a couple days ago, Pepi had still not decided on whether to choose the US or Mex for his ntl. team services.

Fortunately, he chose us while sticking it again to the Mexican NT and their lovely fans. It's not been a real good couple months south of the Rio Grande. (unless less you're crossing it headed north).

Reactions: quincy101
That Liverpool/Chelsea match was a heck of a game. I thought the red card was unwarranted. Will Pulisic be out of covid quarantine by the first qualifier next week?

That Liverpool/Chelsea match was a heck of a game. I thought the red card was unwarranted. Will Pulisic be out of covid quarantine by the first qualifier next week?
As of now, it's "wait and see". He must test negative for Covid or he won't get out of England. Even if he makes it to the US, Beer?halter will likely bring him off the bench since he hasn't played in a match in 2 weeks.

How bout my Arsenal bunch?!?! They good! 🤟🙈🙀
Worst Arsenal game I have ever seen. I am forced to suffer through their games with my wife, who is a massive fan but I get perverse pleasure at how bad they are and their screwups. Yesterday, they had the single worst possession differential since they started recording it in the EPL in 2003. City had 25 shots to their 1. That was pretty amazing. There was just absolutely no fight in the guys even if it was their C squad. It was depressing.
Rebecca Lowe had a hard time even describing what she just watched. I think she was depressed watching it too. It just isn't how any Arsenal team is supposed to be.

Worst Arsenal game I have ever seen. I am forced to suffer through their games with my wife, who is a massive fan but I get perverse pleasure at how bad they are and their screwups. Yesterday, they had the single worst possession differential since they started recording it in the EPL in 2003. City had 25 shots to their 1. That was pretty amazing. There was just absolutely no fight in the guys even if it was their C squad. It was depressing.
Rebecca Lowe had a hard time even describing what she just watched. I think she was depressed watching it too. It just isn't how any Arsenal team is supposed to be.
They arguable have the worst gazillionaire owner in sports. Kroenke doesn't care if his teams win or lose. The money he makes on merchandising is piddle compared to the ad and local TV rights revenue he gets. Arsenal fans in London despise Kroenke because his lack of caring doesn't sit well with them and they know he's not going to go out and do what needs to be done to even finish in the top 4.

As of now, it's "wait and see". He must test negative for Covid or he won't get out of England. Even if he makes it to the US, Beer?halter will likely bring him off the bench since he hasn't played in a match in 2 weeks.
So in my own COVID experience the reason the CDC recommends a 10 day isolation or quarantine after testing positive vs waiting until you test negative is there is a chance you will still test positive for up to 3 months after the initial test. If that's the standard then he might not see action for a while. (good news is the vaccines seem to be keeping the viral load low. I tested negative just 5 days after my initial positive...I was asymptomatic the entire time as well). John Rahm tested positive twice in about 6 weeks. It's very possible the 2nd positive was a residual one vs being a unique infection. Weird.

So I wonder if anything crazy happens with Euro based US players and teams not letting them out to come back for qualifiers as the EU has removed the US from the safe travel list due to COVID, meaning anyone from the US just can't travel to the EU and move about freely right now.

They arguable have the worst gazillionaire owner in sports. Kroenke doesn't care if his teams win or lose. The money he makes on merchandising is piddle compared to the ad and local TV rights revenue he gets. Arsenal fans in London despise Kroenke because his lack of caring doesn't sit well with them and they know he's not going to go out and do what needs to be done to even finish in the top 4.
Arsenal fans hatred of Kroenke is not limited to London.

Arsenal fans hatred of Kroenke is not limited to London.
a couple of years ago when Emery wasn't playing Ozil when he was still serviceable, the fans would bitch about that and the thread would always morph into a bag on Kroenke thread. StL fans hate him. LA fans just don't care. I can't wait to see a 1/2 full SOFI for the Rams first game...

Marsch gets 3 points for Leeds and probably needs 3 more points to get clear. Schedule is daunting with Chelsea Arsenal and City on the fixture list. Could come down to the last game which is away.

Marsch gets 3 points for Leeds and probably needs 3 more points to get clear. Schedule is daunting with Chelsea Arsenal and City on the fixture list. Could come down to the last game which is away.
With the ineptitude of Burnley, Watford, and Norwich City combined with Everton's collapse, I think Leeds is good for this year. I think Brentford all but secured a 2nd year in EPL with their last 2 wins.

BTW, no Sargent for Norwich yesterday...not even named to the roster. Weird. Also, I haven't seen Dike as part of West Brom in the Championship at all. Sort of weird to pay a decent amount of money to bring a guy in and he can't even make the game day roster. Are there some injuries I am just not up to date on?

Also, Gio Reyna left Dortmund's match yesterday with an injury. I see he has the same durability as his dad.

Reactions: HuffyCane
With the ineptitude of Burnley, Watford, and Norwich City combined with Everton's collapse, I think Leeds is good for this year. I think Brentford all but secured a 2nd year in EPL with their last 2 wins.

BTW, no Sargent for Norwich yesterday...not even named to the roster. Weird. Also, I haven't seen Dike as part of West Brom in the Championship at all. Sort of weird to pay a decent amount of money to bring a guy in and he can't even make the game day roster. Are there if some injuries I am just not up to date on?

Also, Gio Reyna left Dortmund's match yesterday with an injury. I see he has the same durability as his dad.
Dike out for duration (knee).

As for Gio, I quote loosely Jay DeMerit. “If you didn’t make it in Europe, you didn’t make it. But for every guy that makes it, there’s three guys you see working in the post office or whereever that were in your locker room last month, because they played too early on an injury trying to get paid or to get out of a bad situation or their trainer could care less about the players. None of them have insurance and you see their eyes begging for even five more minutes of a trial.”

In Gio’s case it’s probably looking over his shoulder and youth. But there’s plenty of buzz on Twitter about the medical staff bringing players back early, not just Gio.

Sargent: out with ankle resting. Should be available for United at week’s end. Translation: we will play him to sell him. See above.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA

BTW, no Sargent for Norwich yesterday...not even named to the roster. Weird. Also, I haven't seen Dike as part of West Brom in the Championship at all. Sort of weird to pay a decent amount of money to bring a guy in and he can't even make the game day roster. Are there some injuries I am just not up to date on?

Jesse!

Not just last game, but literally the last second of extra time.

You must respect the gegna.

I thought for sure they would end up in the drop zone. It will be interesting to see if he can build a team and keep them up. The race between Man City and Liverpool was something else, we’re going camping today so I had to go to the store with Villa up 1-0 in the second and when I got back I saw City had pulled it out 3-2.

For those who don't follow EPL very closely for whatever reason, yesterday was one of those insanely intriguing, exciting (and heartbreaking for me) famous Match Day 38s. With about 15 minutes to go, Liverpool was about to win the title up on Wolves and City down 2-0 to Aston Villa. And then Man City flipped a switch and snatched the title away. United finished 6th for a Europa League berth despite losing to Crystal Palace but West Ham faded as well and lost.

Burnley looked like they were going to find a way to stay up and Leeds pulled a goal out of a burning car moments before it exploded. This was like Rich Strike coming out of nowhere to win the Kentucky Derby. As the Brit announcers like to call it, Leeds found a goal at the death (90+4).

If Marsch gets to keep the reins at Leeds, look for him to bring in some players, especially midfielders who can control the ball and slow things down defensively. The style Leeds has been accustomed to playing was exposed this year. They'll need some creativity and goal scoring up top...a guy who can beat a defender 1 v 1 as I don't expect you'll see them committing numbers forward like they have in the past.

Reactions: quincy101
For those who don't follow EPL very closely for whatever reason, yesterday was one of those insanely intriguing, exciting (and heartbreaking for me) famous Match Day 38s. With about 15 minutes to go, Liverpool was about to win the title up on Wolves and City down 2-0 to Aston Villa. And then Man City flipped a switch and snatched the title away. United finished 6th for a Europa League berth despite losing to Crystal Palace but West Ham faded as well and lost.

Burnley looked like they were going to find a way to stay up and Leeds pulled a goal out of a burning car moments before it exploded. This was like Rich Strike coming out of nowhere to win the Kentucky Derby. As the Brit announcers like to call it, Leeds found a goal at the death (90+4).

If Marsch gets to keep the reins at Leeds, look for him to bring in some players, especially midfielders who can control the ball and slow things down defensively. The style Leeds has been accustomed to playing was exposed this year. They'll need some creativity and goal scoring up top...a guy who can beat a defender 1 v 1 as I don't expect you'll see them committing numbers forward like they have in the past.
Marsch was hired to bring in the 10 men press system he’s used in one form or another for the last ten years. He will always have numbers forward. And why he will always be attractive to the “go down fighting” clubs and an outcast at the elite clubs.

Marsch was hired to bring in the 10 men press system he’s used in one form or another for the last ten years. He will always have numbers forward. And why he will always be attractive to the “go down fighting” clubs and an outcast at the elite clubs.
I'm puzzled as to why that system failed for Leeds this past season then when it worked pretty well last season. They scored a lot last year and also gave up a lot but usually they were in games and were able to outscore sides. This year, same system, not a drastically different lineup and they gave up oodles of goals and really couldn't find the back of the net with any consistency. Who's out there that Leeds can afford AND bring in to play that system? Does Marsch look at a #9 like Pefok and bring in some wing and MF speed (like both Aaronsons). Is Leeds a better option for players at some of the lower Bundesliga type of teams? Does he try to bring in players from Celtics or Rangers...can Leeds pay them what those clubs are paying them?

I want him and Leeds to succeed. Their style is fun to watch...but you've got to get results. If you play a fun style and can't get results maybe that style isn't worth playing?

I'm puzzled as to why that system failed for Leeds this past season then when it worked pretty well last season. They scored a lot last year and also gave up a lot but usually they were in games and were able to outscore sides. This year, same system, not a drastically different lineup and they gave up oodles of goals and really couldn't find the back of the net with any consistency. Who's out there that Leeds can afford AND bring in to play that system? Does Marsch look at a #9 like Pefok and bring in some wing and MF speed (like both Aaronsons). Is Leeds a better option for players at some of the lower Bundesliga type of teams? Does he try to bring in players from Celtics or Rangers...can Leeds pay them what those clubs are paying them?

I want him and Leeds to succeed. Their style is fun to watch...but you've got to get results. If you play a fun style and can't get results maybe that style isn't worth playing?
It’s tough to argue with wanting a club to succeed that wears blue and gold.

Anyone else watch the Liverpool/Real Madrid game today? The man of the match had to be Courtois. Salah should have had at least two goals and Mane one in the first half if not for the amazing skills of the Real keeper.

Anyone else watch the Liverpool/Real Madrid game today? The man of the match had to be Courtois. Salah should have had at least two goals and Mane one in the first half if not for the amazing skills of the Real keeper.
That’s who got the ball. And well earned. Totally different game if it goes to 1-1. Great match.

Lots of rumors floating Mckennie is going to head to Spurs for 35-40M.

Horvath is heading to Premier League, hopefully, he will get some game, but he didn't get to play much this year at Nottingham. He got subbed on in the 90th minute 5 minutes while up 1-0 against Huddersfield. John Moss screwed them so hard too on the potential PK, IMO. I am glad he is gone. He is way too fat and out of shape to be reffing in it.

That’s who got the ball. And well earned. Totally different game if it goes to 1-1. Great match.
Great if you were a Madrid fan...I'm not...I'm a Liverpool fan. Liverpool played at its usually high frenetic pace with lots of press and it created a ton of chances. It also showed Liverpool's weakness which was defending the right side with TAA. He's one of the top 2-3 fullbacks in the world when it comes to creating an attack down the side, but his 1 v 1 defending and awareness while defending space is suspect. I guess it's a tradeoff.
Courtois was phenomenal. He certainly can impact a game.

I’m really looking forward to watching Haaland with Man City. It’s much easier to catch a Man City match for me than finding Dortmund. I’m just imagining DeBroyne sending balls in to Haaland.

I’m really looking forward to watching Haaland with Man City. It’s much easier to catch a Man City match for me than finding Dortmund. I’m just imagining DeBroyne sending balls in to Haaland.
Considering all of City's scoring threats outside of Haaland are the size of hobbits, Haaland being a big #9 and being proficient in the air will make DeBruyne that much more dangerous as a set up guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT