ADVERTISEMENT

Homecoming Game Time TBA

Babe the Blue Ox

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Oct 3, 2001
ESPN has exercised their 6 day option and won’t announce our kickoff time until Sunday. Game time is expected to be either 11 am or 2:30 pm.

I hope those Plain White Tees don’t mind getting up early.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
If it’s 11:00am it will be on a linear espn network, if it’s 2:30 it will be on espn+

ESPN has exercised their 6 day option and won’t announce our kickoff time until Sunday. Game time is expected to be either 11 am or 2:30 pm.

I hope those Plain White Tees don’t mind getting up early.
Nevermind trying to make plans!

They're waiting to see which way our season is headed.
All times are eastern

AMERICAN

Friday, Oct. 28
East Carolina at BYU – 8pm, ESPN2

Saturday, Oct. 29
Cincinnati at UCF – 12 or 3:30pm, ABC or ESPN
SMU at Tulsa – 12 or 3:30pm
USF at Houston – 12 or 3:30pm
Temple at Navy – 3:30pm, CBSSN

Off: Memphis, Tulane

Last edited:
Maybe it is ESPN 2 or ESPNU. If it goes to ESPN plus I thought we get to set the time? If we set the time I would be shocked we would choose a kickoff before 6:00 PM.
I'm guessing they are waiting to see if us and SMU or USF and Houston get the primo spot of espn+. Maybe we don't always get to pick the time. I figure it hinges on performances of Houston and Tulsa, with a touch of SMU thrown in this week.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
OU at ISU at 11 and OSU at 11 or 2:30 @ KSU. Hopefully OSU gets 11 as well and we get 2:30.

OU at ISU at 11 and OSU at 11 or 2:30 @ KSU. Hopefully OSU gets 11 as well and we get 2:30.
If we get 2:30p, I'm betting our performance at Temple is a loss and/or a barn burner, and Houston looked good against Navy. So I wouldn't be so quick to claim hope of 2:30p.

11a might mean we trashed Temple and Houston looked like dog crap in a loss to Navy. I'll take 11a every week if it means we beat the crap out of our opponent, and Houston got the dirt stomped out of em the week before.

If we get 2:30p, I'm betting our performance at Temple is a loss and/or a barn burner, and Houston looked good against Navy. So I wouldn't be so quick to claim hope of 2:30p.

11a might mean we trashed Temple and Houston looked like dog crap in a loss to Navy. I'll take 11a every week if it means we beat the crap out of our opponent, and Houston got the dirt stomped out of em the week before.
My comments were related to best for attendance- not going head to head with either OU or OSU on TV and hopefully people coming to our game as those games end.

Just a spitball, but my take is they are waiting to see if UC v UCF is a match up between ranked opponents worth of regional ABC coverage. They can only exercise the 6 day option twice a season and to do that on our homecoming weekend is unusual. There are P5 conferences that specifically prohibit that. So they must be really focused on maximizing revenue from that game and once they decide where and when that will be broadcast, they will trickle down to us. My guess is we are 3:30 on the +.

Does ESPN f*** with other schools homecoming game times? There ought to be push back on that by the school given the other activities going on that weekend.

Does ESPN f*** with other schools homecoming game times? There ought to be push back on that by the school given the other activities going on that weekend.
Yes they do this all the time to other schools. It’s not super uncommon.

My question is: if we do end up on espn+, why do we have to use the 2:30 time slot? There’s no reason to adhere to a linear tv time slot when it’s streamed… is that a conference stipulation at this point in the season? Because it seems that we should be able to designate the start time (as we did with our first two games on espn+) earlier in the season.

My question is: if we do end up on espn+, why do we have to use the 2:30 time slot? There’s no reason to adhere to a linear tv time slot when it’s streamed… is that a conference stipulation at this point in the season? Because it seems that we should be able to designate the start time (as we did with our first two games on espn+) earlier in the season.
Has to do with the availability of broadcast support personnel in Bristol is what I’ve been told as well as the availability of commercial flights out that evening for contracted folks working for the network at the stadium. Believe it or not, they kick some games off at 11am to save on hotel and get people home that night so they are available for the pre-production duties for Tuesday and Wednesday games in other cities the following week. Lots of moving parts here.

Has to do with the availability of broadcast support personnel in Bristol is what I’ve been told as well as the availability of commercial flights out that evening for contracted folks working for the network at the stadium. Believe it or not, they kick some games off at 11am to save on hotel and get people home that night so they are available for the pre-production duties for Tuesday and Wednesday games in other cities the following week. Lots of moving parts here.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: HuffyCane
An 11 am game for streaming is inconvenient and idiotic IMO.

I’m still pissed off TU scheduled homecoming on Halloween weekend.

I had planned to come to homecoming but can’t do it on Halloween weekend, way too many Halloween themed activities for the kids that I can’t justify making them miss out on.

I suspect out of towners with young kids are in the same boat as me.

I’m still pissed off TU scheduled homecoming on Halloween weekend.

I had planned to come to homecoming but can’t do it on Halloween weekend, way too many Halloween themed activities for the kids that I can’t justify making them miss out on.

I suspect out of towners with young kids are in the same boat as me.
It’s the league, not the school, that schedules it.

The league chooses which game is designated as homecoming for each school?
Obviously athletic departments communicate with the league office on preferred dates for home games, but scheduling is ultimately a league decision. When you have Friday games and away games scheduled by the league, and other civic events around Tulsa scheduled for certain weekends, it decreases your flexibility and the dates you can work with the league on. Even the calendar plays a role. Would you want homecoming early on October 1? Against an opponent you might lose to? Push it into November when it might be snowing or freezing rain? The problem here has nothing to do with TU athletics, unless you want to ding them with a bye week after a long road trip against an opponent who historically is physical and our kids need a week to heal up before continuing conference play. Relationships matter and we have not always been a good conference partner. That shows up in scheduling like this. In the end homecoming on Halloween weekend has nothing to do with TU.

Obviously athletic departments communicate with the league office on preferred dates for home games, but scheduling is ultimately a league decision. When you have Friday games and away games scheduled by the league, and other civic events around Tulsa scheduled for certain weekends, it decreases your flexibility and the dates you can work with the league on. Even the calendar plays a role. Would you want homecoming early on October 1? Against an opponent you might lose to? Push it into November when it might be snowing or freezing rain? The problem here has nothing to do with TU athletics, unless you want to ding them with a bye week after a long road trip against an opponent who historically is physical and our kids need a week to heal up before continuing conference play. Relationships matter and we have not always been a good conference partner. That shows up in scheduling like this. In the end homecoming on Halloween weekend has nothing to do with TU.
So basically since the league has it out for TU, they gave us an inequitable schedule in the month of October to cater to other programs who are in better favor with the league?

That sucks but I guess we did it to ourselves.

So basically since the league has it out for TU, they gave us an inequitable schedule in the month of October to cater to other programs who are in better favor with the league?

That sucks but I guess we did it to ourselves.
I wouldn’t go that far because I don’t know. And if true I’m not sure whether it’s productive to discuss it. I do know relationships and commitment matters. When you don’t build comparable facilities, dont spend money designed to be invested, and beat everyone in all the sports other than football and basketball you reap what you sow.

Reactions: noble cane
I wouldn’t go that far because I don’t know. And if true I’m not sure whether it’s productive to discuss it. I do know relationships and commitment matters. When you don’t build comparable facilities, dont spend money designed to be invested, and beat everyone in all the sports other than football and basketball you reap what you sow.
Well hopefully we’re mending those broken relationships and investing money wisely and appropriately now.

also - I’m not sure if anything we discuss here is productive haha

Despite this thread already trending downhill, we've now plummeted off the deep end. luckily, I have an easy afternoon at work, so i can sit back and lol at this.

Stig - at the very least, please remove the Tulsa Football logo from your avatar. You don’t represent us.

And whatever happened with changing your name to Hot Diggity or something like that.

I assume you have enough gray cells to realize doubling down just annoys the board even more. I assume the moderators deleted the thread saying you will be the new athletic director?

Are you on a kamikaze mission to get kicked off again?

Stig - at the very least, please remove the Tulsa Football logo from your avatar. You don’t represent us.

And whatever happened with changing your name to Hot Diggity or something like that.
Stigler is too busy playing WWE wrestling on super nintendo in his mom's basement to do anything productive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT