ADVERTISEMENT

Holy Bashi*mas on Memphis

Gmoney4WW

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
Did they peak against an overrated UCLA? I thought UCF might win, but not this bad.

UCF played well, but the score wasn’t the whole story. I think if you asked UCF whether they want to play Memphis again in the championship game or someone else, they would ask you what the other choices are.

UCF played well, but the score wasn’t the whole story. I think if you asked UCF whether they want to play Memphis again in the championship game or someone else, they would ask you what the other choices are.
SMU beats UCF, UCF beats USF, giving them both a 7-1 record, and UCF goes to the championship game based on head to head.

SMU beats Houston leaving them both at 6-2, letting SMU go to the championship, also based on head to head.

UCF beats SMU in the championship.

Memphis and Navy finish at 5-3.

I don't think Memphis gets in the championship, so I guess they would be happy with my prediction according to your projection of their feelings about Memphis. We'll see if I'm off my rocker.

I probably wouldn't want to play Memphis in the championship either if I had beaten them by that score, considering they are a dangerous team when they are on their game. I just don't see them(Memphis) as being that consistent this year.

I probably wouldn't want to play Memphis in the championship either if I had beaten them by that score, considering they are a dangerous team when they are on their game. I just don't see them(Memphis) as being that consistent this year.

Teams that are primarily passing teams will suffer from consistency issues more than running teams. Passing game is subject to inconsistency due to wind, rain, field surface, glare and sun, and the other team having good to great DBs, and even a great pass rush. Teams with a great pass rush don't necessarily need great DBs if you can make the QB uncomfortable.

Teams that are primarily passing teams will suffer from consistency issues more than running teams. Passing game is subject to inconsistency due to wind, rain, field surface, glare and sun, and the other team having good to great DBs, and even a great pass rush. Teams with a great pass rush don't necessarily need great DBs if you can make the QB uncomfortable.
I can hear Gus Malzahn, Hal Mumme, and Mike Leach laughing ....

And while I am not laughing, I politely say "Who cares about those things?" We throw the ball. That is what we have always done. That is who we are. Whatever the obstacle, scheme around it.

Reactions: Gold*
When we open up the season dinking and dunking, it was apparent President had improved little since his first spring game at TU.
If he is the best we have, so be it.
I just don't think you ignore your options when your first choice is having significant struggles.

And while I am not laughing, I politely say "Who cares about those things?" We throw the ball. That is what we have always done. That is who we are. Whatever the obstacle, scheme around it.

I can hear Jim Kelly crying, if only the Bills had had a running game... while the Tuna laughed.

Number of titles won by Malzahn, Leach, et al... zero.

Malzahn won the NC in 2010 as the OC at Auburn. He went to the NC game in 2014 against FSU. It was a great game. That's pretty good.

Reactions: ColoCane

But then you get the David Johnson/ ECU flop city conference championship game. In the big games, you need good and experienced players. Johnson was hurt, but that was such a waste of a season.

Malzahn won the NC in 2010 as the OC at Auburn. He went to the NC game in 2014 against FSU. It was a great game. That's pretty good.
He also had the luxury of Cam Newton running things in 2010 and while they could sling it, that team ran the ball a lot and had a +++ RB and then Newton improvising. Auburn's offense has been so pedestrian and inconsistent the last 3 years people are calling for Gus' head down there. They could go 10-2 this year with their only losses to Clemson and Alabama and people will call for his head still. What do Alabama and Clemson do well? They take away the run game and pressure the QB with 4.If you can pressure the QB w/ 4 you take away a whole lot of options passing the ball because now you're playing 7 vs 4 or 5 downfield.

Reactions: noble cane
I’m “down there”. They were calling for his head because he kept signing QBs that could run, but not pass, like Newton. He signed Stitham. They are winning. They have a chance against Saban. He will be fine.

I’m “down there”. They were calling for his head because he kept signing QBs that could run, but not pass, like Newton. He signed Stitham. They are winning. They have a chance against Saban. He will be fine.
Don't get me wrong...I like Gus a lot. My point was you need a monster offensive line that can protect for 4-5 seconds because 7 vs 4 is not a good prospect but if you give WRs a little time to improv and a QB with vision (which Stidham has), you can make some plays. Auburn didn't have that and they're a little better now.

My point was you can stop those spread offenses if you can generate pressure with 4 DL and cover the spaces with 7. The common thread between Clemson and Alabama the last few years is they dominate the LOS with the defensive front 4.

Reactions: noble cane
Don't get me wrong...I like Gus a lot. My point was you need a monster offensive line that can protect for 4-5 seconds because 7 vs 4 is not a good prospect but if you give WRs a little time to improv and a QB with vision (which Stidham has), you can make some plays. Auburn didn't have that and they're a little better now.

My point was you can stop those spread offenses if you can generate pressure with 4 DL and cover the spaces with 7. The common thread between Clemson and Alabama the last few years is they dominate the LOS with the defensive front 4.

You can also stop a spread offense if you burn 6 minutes of clock every posesssion and score points. Spread offenses tend toward the desperation plays the longer they are off the field. Their addiction to the big play does them in. Spreads can score quickly, but, scoring quickly comes at a price.. a tired defense. A couple of three and outs and your defense is gassed.

Rings as a coordinator are like best supporting oscars.. honestly, no one remembers... and wasn’t 2014 the year that Alabama failed on the long field goal and subsequent return coverage? One of the few brain farts I have seen Saban make.

Reactions: TU_BLA
If it had been us, you'd celebrate that play forever. But yes, that was 2014. Might be the greatest play in college football history.

If it had been us, you'd celebrate that play forever. But yes, that was 2014. Might be the greatest play in college football history.
Gorwing up in MA in the 1980's (and growing up Catholic), the greatest play of college football history is reserved for Flutie to Phelan, 1984 vs Miami.

That's great. I didn't realize you were from the east coast. I bet you have lots of things to say about it. Please share them.

Last edited:
SMU beats UCF, UCF beats USF, giving them both a 7-1 record, and UCF goes to the championship game based on head to head.

SMU beats Houston leaving them both at 6-2, letting SMU go to the championship, also based on head to head.

UCF beats SMU in the championship.

Memphis and Navy finish at 5-3.

I don't think Memphis gets in the championship, so I guess they would be happy with my prediction according to your projection of their feelings about Memphis. We'll see if I'm off my rocker.

That prediction didn't start so well. SMU is decent this year, just not as good as I thought they were.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT