ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbs celebration penalty

Tulsafanzz

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2006
I am linking an article about the Hobbs penalty from Yahoo sports. Be sure & read the comments tied to the article. Near unanimous agreement that this was the worst call they've ever seen. This is especially true, considering the final score of the game.

While I do hope Monty uses this penalty as a teaching example for his players, I also hope Tulsa will call the AAC office about this.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tulsa-wr-g...high-stepping-towards-end-zone-034242204.html

Last edited:
To me the problem is the rule rather than the call. It was right on the edge of what I would throw a flag for but taking away points is ridiculous

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Terrible officiating both ways. Seriously, like the worst I have ever seen.

Maybe the cold weather slowed their brain function.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The problem isn’t that they DID call the penalty, the problem is that they COULD call it. There’s two solutions to that problem: 1) repeal the rule. Its too vague and has the stink of racism on it when the player is black and the official isn’t. 2) Stop letting the players put themselves in positions where they can be vulnerable to such a call. You can support the players in having fun, but there’s a time and place for it as defined by the rules. If you break that rule, discipline will be swift and sure.

Printing up TShirts and blasting it on Twitter that the AAC refs are against you doesn’t help. It creates an immature environment where acting out is presented as acceptable. It creates an atmosphere where some officials may be unwilling to be judicious in their rulings. There’s a lot of people in this world who spend two extra decades in prison because they complained to the bench before the trial started for two minutes that they thought the judge was going to be unfair.

Like most things in life, and coaches love to justify their millions for their “unique” ability to impart life lessons, the attitude you see at the bottom of an organization has its roots in the top.

Last edited:
This was simply the officials looking out for the profits of the league. If we score on that play we go up by 14 and the game changes entirely. SMU needed the win to be bowl eligible. Their future schedule is tough and a loss to Tulsa would likely dash their bowl chances and cost the AAC money.

When I heard the penalty called, I was furious. I have commented previously this season that the team lacks discipline because they were penalized for celebrating with fans after a score. Then this!

Then I saw the replay. Taunting? REALLY?

I'm all for rules against taunting and unsportmanlike in college football. The NFL can get obnoxious as one person, whose job is is to tackle someone, flails about after doing so. But those are professionals, so be it. Often college athletes (and their fans) would be subject to someone literally in a league above them dancing in their face. It just isn't needed.

But that rule shouldn't extend to a guy's momentary celebration. What Hobbs did was a lesser offense than any D lineman after a sack I've ever seen. It was weaker than shaking a fist in triumph. Weaker than clapping by a QB after a completed pass. It was basically a skip step from being happy and I assume done without a thought. Had he done a flip into the end zone, starting dancing, or held the ball out behind him - I would be calling him stupid.

As it stands, the call was stupid. While better discipline may have avoided it, the call was nonetheless a bad one.

Last edited:
I bet there is not one Pony thread (if there really are any Pony fans, which I doubt, outside of cheating basketball) that are complaining

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT