ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coaching Candidates For Tu Basketball

Lots of good retreads out there this year.
Too many of our retreads have ended up being what we have always called "Gators" along
side the highway.......We have two or three now that have, as they say back East, "not fed
the bull dog"......Experience, as we have sadly found out, does not always mean performance.....

Last edited:
Its time for a change in TU basketball, Haith has to go. I say put Shea Seals in there. Can't do worse then Haith.
Itā€™s possible he could do worse. Jim King did worse. Pooh was not a coaching savior either although he was not given much chance. But he was coaching his recruits.
Always nice to get someone who has experience as a head coach. Less risk there.

Reactions: TU 1978
Wes Miller - UNC-Greensboro - Took over as interim in 2012 when they fired Mike Dement in the middle of the season. He was just 28 years old at the time. Ended up winning the North Division of the SoCon and winning Conference Coach of the Year. Has produced 3 top 100 KenPom teams in each of the last 3 years at a school that only had 1 in the 15 years before he took over and consistently ranks 250-300th in MBB expenses from the publicly available MBB expenses data on the DOE website. Base Salary at UNC-G is $300k, but he is currently under contract through 2029. No idea on the buyout.

Also, for anyone concerned about a lower-level coach being able to recruit at this level, he got a Rivals150 recruit directly out of high school in last yearā€™s class.

Cincinnati hires Miller. $1.3m/year.

Cincinnati hires Miller. $1.3m/year.
Steve Forbes 2020 and Wes Miller 2021. You were accurate just not ready to pull the trigger here yet it seems. My David Patrick choice is still intact it seems. He is coaching in the Olympics so not really ready to take over a collegiate team as head coach this summer.

Reactions: ctt8410
I've lost hope that Frank Haith will ever be fired, but it won't stop me from looking for the type of young, up-and-coming coaches that I think we should be hiring. Like Todd Golden at San Francisco, whose team is 10-0 this year and up to 28 in the NET.

He's given a number of talks in the last year on how his staff uses analytics to find any advantage they can playing in the same conference with programs that spend way more like Gonzaga and BYU. And not just in-game strategy, but recruiting and scheduling as well.

Last edited:
I've lost hope that Frank Haith will ever be fired, but it won't stop me from looking for the type of young, up-and-coming coaches that I think we should be hiring. Like Todd Golden at San Francisco, whose team is 10-0 this year and up to 28 in the NET.

He's given a number of talks in the last year on how his staff uses analytics to find any advantage they can playing in the same conference with programs that spend way more like Gonzaga and BYU. And not just in-game strategy, but recruiting and scheduling as well.

You have always been on the cusp of finding great coaches. We have to have the charisma factor first of all in our situation. Charisma like Bill Self or Nolan Richardson or Bruce Pearl when they were starting out. My pick is still out there : David Patrick , Associate Head Coach at Oklahoma.

You have always been on the cusp of finding great coaches. We have to have the charisma factor first of all in our situation. Charisma like Bill Self or Nolan Richardson or Bruce Pearl when they were starting out. My pick is still out there : David Patrick , Associate Head Coach at Oklahoma.

Iā€™m 100 percent in agreement with you, not just because he is Ben Simmons god father David Patrick has the charisma he can coach defense and heā€™s one hell of a recruiter. Iā€™m on board what can we do to make this happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT