ADVERTISEMENT

Gundy's first presser of the year......talks about TU

lawpoke87

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
Said TU under Rader was doing stuff offensively 30 years ago that people are just now implementing. Said TU was 20 years ahead of it's time during that era. Thought it was pretty interesting he talked about TU football during his presser.

Someone saw Gundy talking to Rader at a practice and asked about his relationship with Rader.btw.

He was on the Coaches’ Cam with five other D1 coaches during the National Championship. He was the only one who consistently predicted what both teams were going to do on offense and even said in the first quarter what types of changes needed to be made. in the second half, both those teams made those changes on defense. By the end, all the other guys in the room, including David Cutcliffe were deferring to him. It was pretty impressive and it pains me greatly to admit that.

That said, sounds like Uncle Dave picked up a consulting gig ....

Gundy never stated that he had hired Rader as a consultant that I recall. Someone saw Rader at a practice and asked Gundy about him. Gundy then spent the next five minutes or so talking about how innovative his TU offense was back in the day. I do know that OU's Gary Gibbs is a consultant on the defensive side of the ball.

Sure does take people a long time to adopt a system that resulted in an ASTONISHING 49-80-1 record.

Sure does take people a long time to adopt a system that resulted in an ASTONISHING 49-80-1 record.

Dave did not have nearly the budget or advantages coaches have had since Krag. I’m not sure what your point is except to show your ignorance.

His offense was certainly innovative, even throwing in wishbone sets and utilizing talent in different ways than other teams were at the time. The victory over A$M is a great example.

Dave did not have nearly the budget or advantages coaches have had since Krag. I’m not sure what your point is except to show your ignorance.

His offense was certainly innovative, even throwing in wishbone sets and utilizing talent in different ways than other teams were at the time. The victory over A$M is a great example.
Plus he was given a recruiting advantage that was taken away in the middle of his tenure. The degrees programs that were taken away(athletes made high use of them) correlated with the program's rapid drop. None of which had anything to do with his coaching ability.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Thus his depth never extended beyond the 1st stringers.(love our depth this yr.,though).We'd tend to fold our tent in the 2nd half. Still-he had some of the top wins in TU history. Then frustratingly, we'd lose to a middle of the pack conference foe.

Wouldn't bother me if he consults for cowpersons or anyone else. He prolly needs to supplment income from other pt-time job,e.g. St. Senator, R-Tulsa.

btw-didn't Alabama think he was good enough to consult-full time-with them?

Last edited:
Reactions: shon46 and TU 1978
Playing as an independent was a real challenge from a scheduling standpoint. We were consistently playing 4 or 5 games against the higher level conferences. When we finally joined the WAC we took away the PE major. I’m not sure anyone could have won under those circumstances.

Reactions: TU_BLA and TU 1978
Thus his depth never extended beyond the 1st stringers.(love our depth this yr.,though).We'd tend to fold our tent in the 2nd half. Still-he had some of the top wins in TU history. Then frustratingly, we'd lose to a middle of the pack conference foe.

Wouldn't bother me if he consults for cowpersons or anyone else. He prolly needs to supplment income from other pt-time job,e.g. St. Senator, R-Tulsa.

btw-didn't Alabama think he was good enough to consult-full time-with them?
He was a co OC at Alabama and Ole Miss... His offenses were not especially astounding throughout SEC play. Alabama, like it always does, tended to win or lose on Defense. His offense at Ole Miss was alright, but not anything to write home about.

His name and the mere mention of TU provokes anger amongst the small cadre of educated Alabama boosters I have been around.

He was perceived as a failure in part because he refused to just line 11 guys up and try to run over people. He knew Alabama didn’t have the people to win that way. But that involves Alabama admitting that they didn’t have their choice in players during that era. He did struggle in the red zone the last two years, but what team of that era didn’t struggle under NCAA scholarship sanctions?

Bob Stoops has repeatedly stated that the 2003 game in Tuscaloosa with Brodie Croyle as QB was the toughest game he ever had to prepare for because of their offensive concepts and the way they took advantage of Croyle’s athletic strengths and masked his weaknesses.

Stoops looks more overrated as each season goes by, but that’s the highest of compliments, iyam.

I was so pleased to learn of his election. Coach is one of the few good guys out there that has earned everything he has and deserves more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT