ADVERTISEMENT

Great Day for USA!

Three clean sheets. Very nice.

Altidore takes a lot of heat, but I've always thought he was good at shielding and holding his position. He received an excellent ball in, settled very quickly and assisted nicely. Altidore can be a force when he wants to be.

Here's a good look at Dempsey's goal...
This post was edited on 3/1 9:58 AM by Chris Harmon

The Deuce is Loose

Post-game quotes from Women's victory...

U.S. head coach PIA SUNDHAGE
On the match…
“It wasn’t easy, I really want to emphasize that. I think Denmark is a good team and the way they played with a sort of 4-3-3 made it really hard for us at times, so I am happy to score five goals. The fact that we scored more goals in the second half with the changes that we created makes coaches happy.”

On the second half changes…
“We changed the outside mids, and even though Abby (Wambach) didn’t play the whole game, still we scored goals. That says something about how we have many good, versatile players and we have and the different combinations we can put out there. Having Alex (Morgan) playing well, she brings out the best performance in the players around her.”

On Morgan embracing her new starting role…
“She’s been playing well for a while now, but now is the first time she is in the starting lineup for more than one game and not only that but she plays 90 minutes. During the World Cup she helped the team tremendously coming off the bench. She will help this team being on the field for 90 minutes for many games I think. For young players, there will be ups and downs, but her speed and her technique is better than a year ago and she’s a goal scorer that’s for sure.”

On who will be the starting right back to replace the injured Ali Krieger…
“Unfortunately Ali Krieger is not here, but Amy LePeilbet, who usually plays on the left, played on the right and I think she did well today. Most likely, we will continue to look at different options in the back, but as long as Christie Rampone and Rachel Buehler play solid (in the middle) we can have different options out wide.”

On the match…
“I really like the fact that although late in the first half we struggled, and I think Denmark did a good job and keeping possession in front of our back line, that instead of talking too much about defending, we talked about the attack. In the second half, we had Amy Rodriguez on one side and Tobin heath on the other and still played 4-4-2, but were able to swing the ball from one side to another and Cheney and Alex did a good job up top. I am happy about the changes from first half to the second.”

On the speed the USA can put on the field…
“Late in the game Syd Leroux is a handful. You have Alex Morgan, Amy Rodriguez and Syd Leroux. It’s tough to play against those three. We pushed it and we really wanted to score goals, which we did.”

U.S. forward ALEX MORGAN
On the match…
“In the first half we struggled a little bit. We needed to get a little wider, it was a little too cluttered in the midfield. So in the second half I think we figured that out and had our outside midfielders stay wide and we got some good chances and the important thing is that we finished the chances we had.”

On starting vs. coming off the bench…
“It’s a huge difference. I am able to feel a lot more comfortable on the ball, posting up as a forward, being a little more versatile rather than running in behind every time. In the World Cup, getting in 20 minutes or less, my job was to get in behind and break down the defense that way, but now I am able to play both in front and behind the back line.”

On her first goal…
“The ball was on my right foot, not my strongest foot, but I wanted to get a good rip on it so I finally took a shot. I saw the ‘keeper leaning to the near post so and I shot far post. It ended up hitting the far post and maybe the near post as well? And fortunately went in.”

On her second goal…
“Tobin did a great job of keeping her ground and fighting off two players. The ball popped out perfectly for me and the defender was actually blocking the ‘keeper’s view so I just tried to hit on the ground hard and low and luckily it went through the defenders and the ‘keeper was unable to see where the ball was going.”

U.S. midfielder CARLI LLOYD
On the match…
“I thought the end result was great. We scored some great goals and we moved the ball around well towards the end of the game. We played a game a couple weeks ago and now we are back at it, so it’s just about finding that rhythm.”

On the USA scoring five goals…
“Pretty impressive. We went through a rough spell a few years ago as far as getting the ball into the back of the net and now we’ve got players coming off the bench and new players in the lineup who score goals and that’s what’s going to win games.”

On her goal…
“Alex sent a great ball into Cheney, a little bent ball in behind the back line. She took a great shot and it bounced back to her directly. I saw the gap opening up with that slot ball back into the middle. I made sure I ran in the box and made sure I kept it low. I saw the ‘keeper lean left so I went right.”

U.S. forward ABBY WAMBACH
On watching the second half from the bench…
“It’s great to get to sit on the bench and watch your teammates evolve and grow up and get the experience. It’s amazing. Alex Morgan is playing so well right now, she’s lifting the players around her and that a sign of greatness.”

On how the game progressed…
“I think it got better. The team calmed down a bit. Once the second half started, we had two goals under our belts and I think people kind of relaxed, got their legs about them. I thought Tobin (Heath) and Amy Rodrigez came off the bench and played fantastic in the second half.”

On her teammates…
“Tobin was one of the best players on the field in the second half. She was a magic player. I could say so many things about so many players; Rachel Buehler winning nearly every head ball for our defense, Christie Rampone organizing, Amy LePeilbet tracking down on defense and showing the mentality with the kind of back line we want to play.”

On her partnership with Alex Morgan on the forward line…
“Alex and I are developing a great connection. The thing about Alex is that she’s so strong with the ball. She gets faster with the ball because she loves scoring goals and putting herself and her teammates in position to score goals.

On her goal…
“I told Alex to go at (the defender) and she did and cut the ball back perfectly. As a forward you always look for those passing channels and lanes. I set up my defender up, and I slowed down, and Alex put the ball in the position she needed to so we could score.”

US Soccer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT