ADVERTISEMENT

Great Day For Tulsa

How many more scholarships do we have and what positions are we looking for

How many more scholarships do we have and what positions are we looking for
1 and counting. (When I say counting, what I'm referring to is scholarships for the players that will leave, of their own volition or not, before next season. ) C/PF

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TUcandoit
Congratulations to Coach Haith & staff!

Welcome to Tulsa Sterling !!

For knowledgeable basketball fans, why has Tulsa basketball recruiting improved so much recently?

There is certainly something about winning conference championships that attracts kids. :)

Reactions: TU_BLA
For knowledgeable basketball fans, why has Tulsa basketball recruiting improved so much recently?
Ummm this one is specifically because the kid was committed to our biggest / oldest basketball rival Wichita state and they fired their HOF coach for beating his players. The kid switched to us instead.

As far as other kids, Haith has done a decent job at grabbing high level transfers from other programs who underperformed at their original school.
In terms of overall HS recruiting he’s been mediocre at best

This has been discussed in-depth in several threads in Hurricane Alley...there's a lot to it. Shea and Kwanza have done a great job recently...Haith has been here for a while now...TU has performed well on the court...locker room/lounge upgrades, so on and so forth.

Here’s some quotes from Chapman on why he chose Tulsa.

HAYSVILLE, Kan. (KSNW) — Campus basketball player Sterling Chapman will take his talents to Tulsa next season. The senior announced his commitment to the Golden Hurricanes Wednesday morning.

Chapman pointed to the relationship he formed with Tulsa head coach Frank Haith as a reason into his decision.

“I built a great relationship with Coach Frank, I like his coaching style, fast paced, he likes to play a lot of guards, and he’s just been with me since day one,” said Chapman.

This has been discussed in-depth in several threads in Hurricane Alley...there's a lot to it. Shea and Kwanza have done a great job recently...Haith has been here for a while now...TU has performed well on the court...locker room/lounge upgrades, so on and so forth.
I’ll go with your & Gold’s answers over Aston’s.

Reactions: TU_BLA
You are full of it. Yes you are.
Nah. I really like this year’s HS class, but overall we haven’t been tremendous in getting kids out of HS. Being good at the transfer game isn’t a bad thing though. It’s done wonders for guys like Mussleman.

Nah. I really like this year’s HS class, but overall we haven’t been tremendous in getting kids out of HS. Being good at the transfer game isn’t a bad thing though. It’s done wonders for guys like Mussleman.
Wrong. Asked why are we better.

A significant part of why we are better:

Joiner, Jackson, & Williams immediately. Hill before he left. Shumate, Elkamil, and Chapman in the future. We are better because our overall recruiting is better, not just the transfers.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Wrong. Asked why are we better.

A significant part of why we are better:

Joiner, Jackson, & Williams immediately. Hill before he left. Shumate, Elkamil, and Chapman in the future. We are better because our overall recruiting is better, not just the transfers.
Williams and Schumate have yet to play a game. The two kids from Florida are still question marks as well. Guys like Falokun and Earley haven’t exactly been significant contributors though they were ok role players. The best kids we’ve had out of HS have been Igbanu, Taplin, and Jackson. Though Jackson took a while to develop.

In terms of overall production, we’ve had one of our kids who we got out of HS appear on an all conference list. (Igbanu) None of them appeared on a any conference All-rookie team and none of them came from Rivals top 150 (though a couple like Jackson were close) I’m pretty sure there are few other schools in the conference who haven’t had any of those things with HS players.

None of our HS pickups contributed as much right away as guys like Uzoh, Hurtt, Clarkson, Harrison, or Woodard. Nor have they received nearly as many accolades. (Yes I understand it was a slightly weaker conference for some of them)

It has been largely transfers / Juco’s driving our bus for a while now. I’m hopeful guys like Williams, Schumate, and Chapman can change that soon though.

Last edited:

Thanks! I am astounded by the high quality of recruits, the recent three signees and the entire Tulsa roster. Yes, as you say, Haith has been around for a while.....but did not pull in the high quality recruits of recent years. The football team has surprised many AAC fans. It would not surprise me to see the basketball team also surprise the AAC.

This may be one of the best week's Tulsa athletics has enjoyed in quite a while
When you posted that comment, "It has only just begun".....Wow!!! You are down to 4th and
13...Bam! Brin throws a beautiful TD pass to the deep middle of the in zone....You are down
to the last play of the game.....Beautiful evasion by Brin to give himself a clear shot at the
end zone, and he drops it into a one or two yard window to tie the game.....

AND then Collins, makes one of the, and probably THE most exciting play in TU FB history...
He times his leap perfectly to intercept and with 260 lbs., outruns everyone the distance
of the field.......

Damnest game I think I've ever seen in my 74 yrs. of watching TU FB.........(again) Wow!!

Last edited:
When you posted that comment, "It has only just begun".....Wow!!! You are down to 4th and
13...Bam! Brin throws a beautiful TD pass to the deep middle of the in zone....You are down
to the last play of the game.....Beautiful evasion by Brin to give himself a clear shot at the
end zone, and he drops it into a one or two yard window to tie the game.....

AND then Collins, makes one of the, and probably THE most exciting play in TU FB history...
He times his leap perfectly to intercept and with 260 lbs., outruns everyone the distance
of the field.......

Damnest game I think I've ever seen in my 74 yrs. of watching TU FB.........(again) Wow!!

97.1 bringing on Pat Jones and the guy talks about this maybe being the college football game of the year and giving props to Jones on him talking about and being a fan TU and Collins all year.

Here’s some quotes from Chapman on why he chose Tulsa.

HAYSVILLE, Kan. (KSNW) — Campus basketball player Sterling Chapman will take his talents to Tulsa next season. The senior announced his commitment to the Golden Hurricanes Wednesday morning.

Chapman pointed to the relationship he formed with Tulsa head coach Frank Haith as a reason into his decision.

“I built a great relationship with Coach Frank, I like his coaching style, fast paced, he likes to play a lot of guards, and he’s just been with me since day one,” said Chapman.

This, especially the end part. The coaches aren't blinding recruits with the bright lights, they are building and maintaining relationships through out the process and beyond.

Which also explains why our transfers have been so good. Even if it's not a player we previously recruited like KES the reputation for this coaching staff and school is consistent about the atmosphere and support in the program.

Which only builds on itself. We are getting talented teammates because the one we started with is our recruiting pitch. As the recruits get better transfers like KES and Rachal tell them come here to Tulsa, I've been on that "big stage" this is better, we win, we play at a high level, etc

This is momentum from a lot of hard work building up. It's why I could see us getting a certain legacy back here, whether or not his coach runs off to the NBA or the school gets the NCAA punishment.

Reactions: TU 1978
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT