ADVERTISEMENT

Grant of Rights with unequal revenue sharing?

I see it as unnecessary and divisive. The Big12 simply placed a huge punitive penalty for leaving the conference in its latest grant of rights. Making it virtually impossible for any school to leave until the current grant is over in 2024. By allocating revenue differently among member schools you create a tier system where each school is negotiating for its particular and unique share of conference revenue. UCF or Houston currently have nowhere else to go and won’t come 2020. Makes zero sense to give them leverage and allow them to dictate their revenue share at the expense of other schools. Follow the Big12’s lead and place penalities for leaving which make the same impossible.

Reactions: shon46
The irony is that to keep the conference together we give some schools the money they need to invest in their programs to be more attractive to leave. I agree with lawpoke, it’s a bad idea

Besides, if the Big 12 comes knocking for instance, for UCF and USF, they'll be gone anyway. No matter what the media deal is. What happens when they leave? The media deal is off, and they have to pay a fine? Yeah right, like that will hold them back. This just means ESPN is protected and more money for the UCF's(of the league) now, and when and if they leave. Then ESPN can renegotiate for less, even if Houston, Memphis, etc. stay. Find somebody(Amazon etc) to pay and walk away, if ESPN won't back down.

Don't want it to happen, but it would be hilarious if they targeted the teams they mention, and leave Uconn with the rest of us. Then they could go on about how they have to recruit in a conference with Tulsa, and moan about them not getting any more media money than Tulsa.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
If the disparity is not too large, or if it can be tied to some metric such as on field performance it becomes more palatable. But only if it also provides autonomy conference status and a guaranteed top bowl every year.

Yeah what's the split like. Are they going to give Houston and UCF the same, or is it going to be graduated. Are they going to try and con us into 3m, while they give UCF 12m? Most arrangements in this setup would likely make me want to retch. Aresco is going to be pushing everybody to sign with ESPN. I hope he doesn't dis on using other offers as bargaining chips. If we go 6 or 8m out of it, then I would consider it.

Last edited:
It would be a tough call for TU if the offers on the table were, say, A) $60 mil/yr or $5 mil per school with no GOR, or B) $80 mil/yr with GOR but...to get everyone on board some schools (e.g. the TU's and SMU) get $6 mil while others get $8 mil.

I do like the idea of tying it to performance, like through a relegation scheme.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
If the disparity is not too large, or if it can be tied to some metric such as on field performance it becomes more palatable. But only if it also provides autonomy conference status and a guaranteed top bowl every year.
It would give us a lot more ammo to fire somebody like Monty if it was based on a metric of on field performance.

TU has very little leverage unfortunately. CUSA or the MWC would give us far less money then the lowest tier of the AAC should the conference go that route. We likely have to accept what the conference dictates to us.

TU has very little leverage unfortunately. CUSA or the MWC would give us far less money then the lowest tier of the AAC should the conference go that route. We likely have to accept what the conference dictates to us.
i don't see why we would, the conference consists of 12 schools, 7 of which might not like this setup. 7 Presidents beats 5 presidents. It's not like it is an independent board that makes decisions for the conference, as far as I understand it.

This is kind of like making the last place NBA team draft last to punish them for sucking. It’s a great way to lock in the haves and have nots.

i don't see why we would, the conference consists of 12 schools, 7 of which might not like this setup. 7 Presidents beats 5 presidents. It's not like it is an independent board that makes decisions for the conference, as far as I understand it.
It’s times like these when you’d sure like to have a savvy, hard nosed AD working the phones so to speak for us......

It’s times like these when you’d sure like to have a savvy, hard nosed AD working the phones so to speak for us......
Is Uconn's AD hard nosed, maybe we could have him pinch hit for us. I hear Gragg is a slow runner...

MagicKnightmare Wrote: I'm sure schools like Tusla, Tulane, ECU, and UConn would love everyone to sign that. I would be shocked if possible expansion targets like Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, USF, or UCF would be as willing to lock themselves in here.

UconnHusky
LOL. UCONN would not love to sign that.

The article doesn’t explain why the rest of the conference would agree to the deal without any assurance they will get what they are paying for: an automatic bid. Which neither Aresco nor ESPN nor UCF can guarantee.
Ah, but ESPN has a lot of leverage in that. They have exclusive broadcast rights to the NY6 games. I think conferences will actually be a little more cautious about what they're adding and why they're adding. WE know the B1G took Rutgers to deliver the NYC market. That didn't work and Rutgers is a drain on the B1G. They get a big cut of the pie and they're providing very little filling for the conference. Similar things can be said about some of the other schools that have been moving around.

If ESPN comes in with a $100M/yr deal for the conference and each school signing over the grant of rights for 10 years but also giving the AAC P6 status so a guaranteed spot in a NY6 game plus at least a measurable chance at the playoff, why not. It would be easier for any of those 5 expansion targets to make a NY6 game and/or the CFP, especially if it expands to 8, by remaining in the AAC than it would be if they jumped to the Big XII or ACC. So what drives these schools- fame and winning or $? In this case, you are only likely to get one of those. And let's be honest, the B1G is not expanding again. Cincinnati would love to go there but the university does not meet the academic standard for the B1G. That's where Mizzou wanted to go and the B1G said it didn't meet their academic research standards. Cincinnati is a 4 year version of TCC essentially.

Poplin said he was going to ask Dr. Gragg about it today on their segment on The Buzz at 5:30pm. Should be interesting.

UCF is a fourth choice viewing option in their local market with a 3-7 record against Tulsa and two winless seasons in the last 15 years. 25% of their stadium attendance is students paying no or reduced fees - when they go to games at all.

They aren’t going anywhere.

This is about UCONN showing their butt wanting to go back to the Big East for basketball and go independent in football. And causing negotiation chaos that could cost TU millions.

UCF is a fourth choice viewing option in their local market with a 3-7 record against Tulsa and two winless seasons in the last 15 years. 25% of their stadium attendance is students paying no or reduced fees - when they go to games at all.

This is about UCONN showing their butt wanting to go back to the Big East for basketball and go independent in football. And causing negotiation chaos that could cost TU millions.
If that's the case they should drop football altogether. The only reason they added football was at the behest of the Big East and trying to make themselves more attractive for the TV contract...which got screwed up and why this colossal mess happened in the 1st place. And UCONN would be the only school of its kind in the Big Jesuit East.

lol of all the butthurt replies, this one takes the cake.

UCF should not share the same revenue as Tulsa. Period.

I'm not buying this is just the AAC trying to keep UConn happy. I think UCF and likely Houston are balking at committing to any long term deal. I do think UConn is involved but I believe it's likely there are other players as well.

I did see a tweet yesterday from a BigEast source hinting at possible expansion. Assume he could be talking about UConn.

UCF guy....what are you hearing from your people?

Last edited:
right now each teams share is about 8%. lets assume with the new method that the top team gets 12% and the bottom team gets 5%. the contract is for 4 time the current one. so, 8% of 100 is 8, 5% of 400 is 20. seems like a nice increase.

The pecking order for shares should be reevaluated each year based on team standing in the conference at the end of each season.

Aresco just said he does not anticipate an uneven sharing arrangement. Not sure why the likes of UCF, Houston, etc...would sign a long term grant of rights without one so maybe this is all a mute point.

Plenty of reasons that go the full range of the factual, legal, and even political.

While pushing for a bigger conference keeps their boosters and die hards happy, and make future agreements slightly larger, there are risks with UCF attempting to stretch beyond the AAC. And though it isn’t the job of the AD or Coach or even President to say it or admit it, they know the Board of Governors don’t want to deal with the host of snakes that will be unleashed by the UF, FSU and even USF boosters and friends in the Florida Legislature. To deny that demonstrates a lack of familiarity with how state government works in FL and the reality that UAB has to recover from.

Last edited:
Aresco just said he does not anticipate an uneven sharing arrangement. Not sure why the likes of UCF, Houston, etc...would sign a long term grant of rights without one so maybe this is all a mute point.
I’m assuming you are on voice dictation. You are a better lawyer than using mute where moot belongs.

Last edited:
Seems like a game of chicken. If they end up stuck in the AAC for the full new deal and they don’t commit then they lose $$ of getting commitments makes the deal better. So by not committing, they keep their options open if someone else comes calling, but if someone else doesn’t, then they’ve cost themselves a lot. This is like an expensive option for them.

lol of all the butthurt replies, this one takes the cake.

UCF should not share the same revenue as Tulsa. Period.
And this is why the Big XII broke apart and they lost Colorado, Nebraska, and Mizzou. You've been really good for 2 years...why don't you make it an actual habit more than an outlier before declaring your superiority.

Plenty of reasons that go the full range of the factual, legal, and even political.

While pushing for a bigger conference keeps their boosters and die hards happy, and make future agreements slightly larger, there are risks with UCF attempting to stretch beyond the AAC. And though it isn’t the job of the AD or Coach or even President to say it or admit it, they know the Board of Governors don’t want to deal with the host of snakes that will be unleashed by the UF, FSU and even USF boosters and friends in the Florida Legislature. To deny that demonstrates a lack of familiarity with how state government works in FL and the reality that UAB has to recover from.
FL government probably works about the same as the TX government which is why Houston is where they are and not in the Big XII already. And UH hates to admit that while they have some $$$ pull with Fertita, they don't carry the same political clout as Texas and A&M or even SMU and Baylor.

Then go to the Big XII. Oh wait, they don’t want you. Never mind. Then I guess you can go independent or you can share equally. Your call.
My guess is they're not getting the same independent deal BYU or Notre Dame is getting. UCF should ask UMASS how that independent thing is working for them.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
My guess is they're not getting the same independent deal BYU or Notre Dame is getting. UCF should ask UMASS how that independent thing is working for them.
They can’t go independent, they can’t go to a P6 conference and the AAC is the best of the other conferences for them. So they really don’t have any choices.

What do you do when you don’t have choices? You bluff to try to get more even though you don’t have any real leverage. Like saying “give us a bigger share to keep us from going to a place we can’t go anyway because they don’t want us.”

They can’t go independent, they can’t go to a P6 conference and the AAC is the best of the other conferences for them. So they really don’t have any choices.

What do you do when you don’t have choices? You bluff to try to get more even though you don’t have any real leverage. Like saying “give us a bigger share to keep us from going to a place we can’t go anyway because they don’t want us.”
UCONN is unlike most schools in that it values basketball way more than most FBS schools and it is the only one whose conference affiliation is shaky.

UCONN is unlike most schools in that it values basketball way more than most FBS schools and it is the only one whose conference affiliation is shaky.

If UCONN we’re duke I could probably get myself to give one (but not two) $hits. But UCONN is no more Duke than we are. So there shall be no $hits given if they leave.

Reactions: HuffyCane
UCF and UH are fooling themselves if they think they’ll be poached by another conference.

I'm guessing there's a lot of "bluffing" going on. I'm also guessing that the likes of UCF and Houston don't want to be tied down for the next ten years should conference realignment start back up in a few years. The are several scenarios where this could occur although none are extremely likely.

The BigEast was a much better fit for UConn imo. The question is what to do about the football program.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT