ADVERTISEMENT

Grand Jury Says No True Bill

Elderly man pushed to the ground during a protest this summer was not the victim of a forcible felony grand jury rules.

It’s hard to judge the situation when we only see the cut outs of the video. I have to have faith the grand jury took the totality of the information into consideration and made the right call. But boy it sure looked bad initially.

The video went viral at the time. You’ve seen it I would bet.

Scroll down further into the article and there’s a link to the video.

It’s also widely available via Google search

The video went viral at the time. You’ve seen it I would bet.

Scroll down further into the article and there’s a link to the video.

It’s also widely available via Google search
Ah yeah, looks way different from that perspective. It looks like he just lost his balance.

It was wrong. Those officers know when you push an older man, he is liable to fall. And the police should have had liability. They had no need to do that, especially with no one around. If anything was done, they should have grabbed him, and forcibly moved him out of the way, while holding him up. I find it interesting that they were up for felony assault, not a misdemeanor assault. That would've opened up a whole new can of worms as far as liability goes. But maybe it needed to be opened for their practices with non threatening older protesters and how to handle it.

They should have know what shoving an older man could lead to, and that their actions did not take into account his lack of threat, and his age. I would hope their suspension was without pay at least for a short period, in order that they somehow suffered over the incident enough to wake them up. I would hate it that this officers attitude over the whole thing isn't simply, cool yeah no liability, no need to change my actions the next time around.

The issue wasn't just that the man lost his balance and fell, it was also how he reacted to the fall. Your reaction time and ability to mitigate your fall with quick actions to keep yourself from hitting your head is affected too. My father fell many times in his latter years, and my neighbor fell recently and had to go to the hospital for 5 days and is now in rehab. I have had to attend to her because of her fall through this whole incident, and take care of her and her invalid husband due to this. I have had head trauma like him as well, and likely suffered worse than him from the head trauma, due to non treatment for 15 hours. So this type of situation has been on my mind lately, and bothers me more than the average joe, due to my experiences. I payed attention to it from multiple perspectives when it happened because I know the dangers of head trauma first hand.

The whole group of officers didn't even slow their pace to deal with the man standing in their way. The man has a right to protest, and did not seem to do it in a non-verbal threatening way. We did not hear his verbal discussion, but that didn't even appear to be threatening in any real fashion. He didn't seem to raise his voice from the cues in the video, though we cannot truly know that from the video.

Reactions: TUMe
It was wrong. Those officers know when you push an older man, he is liable to fall. And the police should have had liability. They had no need to do that, especially with no one around. If anything was done, they should have grabbed him, and forcibly moved him out of the way, while holding him up. I find it interesting that they were up for felony assault, not a misdemeanor assault. That would've opened up a whole new can of worms as far as liability goes. But maybe it needed to be opened for their practices with non threatening older protesters and how to handle it.

They should have know what shoving an older man could lead to, and that their actions did not take into account his lack of threat, and his age. I would hope their suspension was without pay at least for a short period, in order that they somehow suffered over the incident enough to wake them up. I would hate it that this officers attitude over the whole thing isn't simply, cool yeah no liability, no need to change my actions the next time around.

The issue wasn't just that the man lost his balance and fell, it was also how he reacted to the fall. Your reaction time and ability to mitigate your fall with quick actions to keep yourself from hitting your head is affected too. My father fell many times in his latter years, and my neighbor fell recently and had to go to the hospital for 5 days and is now in rehab. I have had to attend to her because of her fall through this whole incident, and take care of her and her invalid husband due to this. I have had head trauma like him as well, and likely suffered worse than him from the head trauma, due to non treatment for 15 hours. So this type of situation has been on my mind lately, and bothers me more than the average joe, due to my experiences. I payed attention to it from multiple perspectives when it happened because I know the dangers of head trauma first hand.

The whole group of officers didn't even slow their pace to deal with the man standing in their way. The man has a right to protest, and did not seem to do it in a non-verbal threatening way. We did not hear his verbal discussion, but that didn't even appear to be threatening in any real fashion. He didn't seem to raise his voice from the cues in the video, though we cannot truly know that from the video.
I don’t disagree at all however I think this should be a civil case and not criminal and I’m all for police reform ensuring that police are held accountable for their misdeeds.

I don’t disagree at all however I think this should be a civil case and not criminal and I’m all for police reform ensuring that police are held accountable for their misdeeds.
They need serious punishment for the officers by the police dept, a point made with retraining dedicated towards older citizens and, something put in the books as a future guidelines & regulations. If they did all that, then I'm fine with it being in civil court. But all that needs to happen, such that it doesn't occur again.

How many people for reform, would pursue a suspect into a dark room?
That cinches it, go ahead and shove the man down, taze him, kick him in his 70 some odd year old head. Pursuing a suspect into a dark room justifies whatever treatment you wish for the aged man standing in the way.

How does that have anything to do with this discussion?

Ah yeah, looks way different from that perspective. It looks like he just lost his balance.
There was no need to lay hands on him at all. He wasn’t threatening, he wasn’t violent and he certainly wasn’t aggressive at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT