ADVERTISEMENT

Gold Cup

When this tournament started there were posts about how a finals appearance would be successful and no one but Acosta and Lletget were the only ones who should see minutes for the US. Any changed thoughts? I thought the D was very shaky the first few games and they were constantly being bailed out by Turner but they were solid tonight. And what about Turner? One goal allowed in six games! I don’t keep up with Mexican futbal, is this their A team or a B team also?

When this tournament started there were posts about how a finals appearance would be successful and no one but Acosta and Lletget were the only ones who should see minutes for the US. Any changed thoughts? I thought the D was very shaky the first few games and they were constantly being bailed out by Turner but they were solid tonight. And what about Turner? One goal allowed in six games! I don’t keep up with Mexican futbal, is this their A team or a B team also?
Mostly their A team minus Ochoa (GK) and a couple of kids who are playing in the Olympics (and Mexico might be the prohibitive gold medal favorites). Of course Chucky Lozano got hurt in game 1 too, but a good portion of this team will be there for Mexico’s WC Q.

I see Hoppe being a regular part moving forward along with Acosta and maybe Miles Robinson And Cannon in the back. Zardes will be there too…and maybe it’s time to give him a break. He was big in this tournament

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Mil
Mostly their A team minus Ochoa (GK) and a couple of kids who are playing in the Olympics (and Mexico might be the prohibitive gold medal favorites). Of course Chucky Lozano got hurt in game 1 too, but a good portion of this team will be there for Mexico’s WC Q.

I see Hoppe being a regular part moving forward along with Acosta and maybe Miles Robinson And Cannon in the back. Zardes will be there too…and maybe it’s time to give him a break. He was big in this tournament
I was the guy who felt only a few guys looked like international level talents but agree there are several players who proved themselves.

Really impressed with Turner. He has to at least be in the conversation when it comes to World Cup qualifiers. I still don’t like how we play (or try to) out of the back. Far too many turnovers. Excited to get started on the road to the World Cup.

Really impressed with Turner. He has to at least be in the conversation when it comes to World Cup qualifiers. I still don’t like how we play (or try to) out of the back. Far too many turnovers. Excited to get started on the road to the World Cup.
It's too passive out of the back. The backline always wants to play out of the back and will keep going negative, often without looking for space forward. This is my main complaint with Busio. Turner MUST get better with the ball at his feet. GK today is so much more than keeping the ball out of the net. Hoppe has to be part of the striker pool in WCQ. Acosta and Zardes both earned their places for WCQ pool. I think Busio and Dike need more time and gain more experience at the highest levels IMO. Both can be part of the mix in the future but they're not quite ready. Miles Robinson should be in the mix to line up beside Brooks in the back. And I don't think Rodman is part of the pool yet but I feel confident in him for him to be there if an injury should occur.

To double down on my comments, I was thinking about the other game with Mexico this summer. They know we are better and that’s the cause of the horrible behavior on the field.

I thought the officials did a good job making last night a lot more watchable.

I also got the thought about how to tell the Mexico hate speech chant at games in order to get them in trouble.

To double down on my comments, I was thinking about the other game with Mexico this summer. They know we are better and that’s the cause of the horrible behavior on the field.

I thought the officials did a good job making last night a lot more watchable.

I also got the thought about how to tell the Mexico hate speech chant at games in order to get them in trouble.
I still saw a few full beers tossed at our players after the game ended.

That’s a given. Those fans are just awful.

I would be starting Turner over Steffan. It is going to be a huge debate, but it is really nice to be able to have it. All I know is that Hoppe, Acosta, and Turner have to be included in any 18 we have.

Reactions: nevadanatural
I would be starting Turner over Steffan. It is going to be a huge debate, but it is really nice to be able to have it. All I know is that Hoppe, Acosta, and Turner have to be included in any 18 we have.
So, Horvath saved our bacon in the Nations League and Turner is jumping both Horvath AND Steffan?

So, Horvath saved our bacon in the Nations League and Turner is jumping both Horvath AND Steffan?
They all have different strengths. None of them is great with the ball at their feet which makes it scary as hell to watch the US try to play out of the back especially against teams with quickness and an organized press. The Gold Cup US roster didn’t really have the dynamic outside backs or even center backs who can carry the ball. The WCQ iteration will have Dest, Brooks, and hopefully Robinson and Tyler Adam’s running the 6, although Acosta can also fill the role as well. Teams won’t be as eager to press knowing if the US is able to get the ball to McKennie with Pulisic and Reyna running the wings, they’re in trouble.

Tyler Adam’s running the 6, although Acosta can also fill the role as well. Teams won’t be as eager to press knowing if the US is able to get
So can Wes McKinnie. So Acosta would be my 3rd choice in the middle unless you believe he's better than Adams & McKennie. I don't. Well, congrats to the relatively young & inexperienced "B" team. Showed toughness & determination in an underdog role & won. I love it when we stick it to the Mexicans and their "fan-atics", especially for a trophy.

But now it's time for Beer?halter to get serious about personnel decisions. No more experimentation with selections & line-ups. One would hope he taps mostly our Euro contingent for quals starting next month, but with this guy you never know. At least we have tremendous depth on the MNT so that Beer?halter can take some chances supposedly with the MLS guys vs the weaker opponents from Concacaf. But it is essential that we have the Euro guys playing together in the latter stages of qualification. To build a team with the best chance of getting to the knockout rounds of the WC Finals.

The guys who just did so well in the Gold Cup vs Concacaf would be greatly over-matched in the Finals against the best in the world.

Yes, but remember Mexico is rated 8 in the world.

It seemed to me that the Mex MNT were a little off their usual excellence the last couple of months. TaTa's choice to leave Chicharito off the side did not help their chances and may have cost him his job. And I imagine their FIFA ranking will drop like a stone after the Nation's & Gold Cup results.

I was one who posted that simply making the finals would be a positive with this group, especially seeing how lackluster and timid they were against Haiti and Canada. They certainly stepped up and played much better through the knockout rounds. Beating Qatar who had showed extremely well in this tournament, was a huge step. And there were stretches, especially on the 2nd half where the US looked pretty even with Mexico

Reactions: drboobay
It seemed to me that the Mex MNT were a little off their usual excellence the last couple of months. TaTa's choice to leave Chicharito off the side did not help their chances and may have cost him his job. And I imagine their FIFA ranking will drop like a stone after the Nation's & Gold Cup results.
Likewise the USMNT ranking should get a significant boost into the top 15 or so. Since the last one releases on May 27, the US has won 2 trophies and bested Mexico 2x.

Reactions: quincy101
I just wonder how this bunch would have fared vs Mex if half their squad wasn't advancing in the Olympics. For example, their #1 goalie is playing in the Oly's. I know they lost to Brazil in the semi's but I think they won a bronze. Anyway, always happy to see those suckahs lose, especially to us.

I don't know how often they release rankings but the last update was May 27-not a good sign.

I just wonder how this bunch would have fared vs Mex if half their squad wasn't advancing in the Olympics. For example, their #1 goalie is playing in the Oly's. I know they lost to Brazil in the semi's but I think they won a bronze. Anyway, always happy to see those suckahs lose, especially to us.

I don't know how often they release rankings but the last update was May 27-not a good sign.
Ochoa and Talaveras are both north of 35 years old. Ochoa is flashy but he is not, IMO, a smart player at all and has cost Mexico goals because of his arrogance. And there's a GK who had been part of the US' Nations League side petitioning FIFA to switch his international affiliation from the US to Mexico(previously discussed).
2 of Mexico's better young players, Antuna and Lainez, both played the Olympics but the bulk of the Gold Cup squad will make up a good portion of their WCQ squad. Chicharito is, at best, a sub if he even makes the side. Mexico will push for Lozano to be the top threat to score along with Pineda and Funes Mori. And with referees seeming to disregard the minor contact and diving, Mexico is actually going to have to try and play the game vs acting like they've been shot with a high powered rifle at close range. I'm hoping FIFA keeps the emphasis on refs not rewarding crap like that.

Also, there is speculation Mexico will replace Martino as coach. Losing 2X to the US in finals of major tournaments is not sitting well south of the border. There is no doubt right now the US is in a better spot and more stable than Mexico headed into WCQ.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Ochoa and Talaveras are both north of 35 years old. Ochoa is flashy but he is not, IMO, a smart player at all and has cost Mexico goals because of his arrogance. And there's a GK who had been part of the US' Nations League side petitioning FIFA to switch his international affiliation from the US to Mexico(previously discussed).
2 of Mexico's better young players, Antuna and Lainez, both played the Olympics but the bulk of the Gold Cup squad will make up a good portion of their WCQ squad. Chicharito is, at best, a sub if he even makes the side. Mexico will push for Lozano to be the top threat to score along with Pineda and Funes Mori. And with referees seeming to disregard the minor contact and diving, Mexico is actually going to have to try and play the game vs acting like they've been shot with a high powered rifle at close range. I'm hoping FIFA keeps the emphasis on refs not rewarding crap like that.

Also, there is speculation Mexico will replace Martino as coach. Losing 2X to the US in finals of major tournaments is not sitting well south of the border. There is no doubt right now the US is in a better spot and more stable than Mexico headed into WCQ.
Lainez and Luzano are both good, but our A team beat their A team back in the nations league. No excuses there.

Some news from Germany on Americans: Jesse Marsch's RB Leipzig won big vs a lower division team in that all-German Pokal tourney. It was Marsch's 1st game in charge of Leipzig. And Tyler Adams started & played well for his new coach. Let's hope there are many more starts for Adams.

Meanwhile in Dortmund, we know that Gio Reyna can score, but this kid's passing is excellent. They also played a lower division team in the Pokal and beat them up. Young Reyna sent Erling Haaland thru twice early on but the goalie made great stops. In the 2nd half, Reyna gets the assist for Haaland's 3rd & his hat trick.

I thought it was cool that Reyna put the grab on Jadon Sancho's #7 jersey after Sancho xferred to Man Utd for around $100 million. Kind of stating his intent that there's a new Sancho in town. I, for one, do not doubt it. Beer?halter has an embarassment of riches in central midfield. One can only hope he uses them wisely.

Some news from Germany on Americans: Jesse Marsch's RB Leipzig won big vs a lower division team in that all-German Pokal tourney. It was Marsch's 1st game in charge of Leipzig. And Tyler Adams started & played well for his new coach. Let's hope there are many more starts for Adams.

Meanwhile in Dortmund, we know that Gio Reyna can score, but this kid's passing is excellent. They also played a lower division team in the Pokal and beat them up. Young Reyna sent Erling Haaland thru twice early on but the goalie made great stops. In the 2nd half, Reyna gets the assist for Haaland's 3rd & his hat trick.

I thought it was cool that Reyna put the grab on Jadon Sancho's #7 jersey after Sancho xferred to Man Utd for around $100 million. Kind of stating his intent that there's a new Sancho in town. I, for one, do not doubt it. Beer?halter has an embarassment of riches in central midfield. One can only hope he uses them wisely.
I think the number of US players playing in Europe is going to put them consistently ahead of Mexico for the next 5-7 years. Outside of Jimenez, how many of Mexico's national team players are playing at top clubs overseas? Most have been playing in MLS or Liga MX. Liga MX is like playing in a zombie escape video game. Every challenge seems bent on destroying someone.

Reactions: quincy101
I wouldn’t play in Liga MX and I’m kinda crazy. Maybe I could re-invent myself down there like Kenny Powers lol

I see a sort of anti-Ted Lasso character. I’m good with it.
Ted Lasso is the best thing on TV right now...and there's a lot of good stuff out there. I read an article about a reporter who knows Jason Sudeikis and has interviewed him several times going back to his SNL days and said that Ted Lasso is Jason Sudeikis and vice versa and one of the reasons the character seems so genuine. He sort of implied that Sudeikis wasn't really acting in the role...that's just who he is.

Reactions: drboobay
I have cousins who grew up near Wichita like him. They say the same thing. Also that he throws in references that only Wichita natives would get.

More USMNT news from Europe: Josh Sargent completes a move to newly promoted Norwich City for $11 mill. This upgrade in competition will be great for Sargent but he must score for the Canaries. If only to convince Beer?halter that he's still a viable alternative to Zardes & get playing time in England. Our excellent midfielders feeding him the ball will provide the chances.

Then there is CP & Tommy Tuchel. The last 2 pre-season friendlies have seen Tuchel position CP on the right side as a wingback. I could see it on the left side to pump up his assist total when the goals aren't going in. CP hates it but says he will play anywhere to help the team. Please Tommy, keep him on the left side in a forward position. You won't regret it.

More USMNT news from Europe: Josh Sargent completes a move to newly promoted Norwich City for $11 mill. This upgrade in competition will be great for Sargent but he must score for the Canaries. If only to convince Beer?halter that he's still a viable alternative to Zardes & get playing time in England. Our excellent midfielders feeding him the ball will provide the chances.

Then there is CP & Tommy Tuchel. The last 2 pre-season friendlies have seen Tuchel position CP on the right side as a wingback. I could see it on the left side to pump up his assist total when the goals aren't going in. CP hates it but says he will play anywhere to help the team. Please Tommy, keep him on the left side in a forward position. You won't regret it.
That's messed up.

FIFA's latest world rankings:
1. Belgium
2. Brazil
3. France
4. England
5. Italy
6. Argentina
7. Spain
8. Portugal
9. Mexico
10. UNITED STATES

How we are still below Mexico is amazing to me.
Eh, because there is an element of subjectivity in these rankings as well. I'd be interested to know where Canada is because they had a good summer and played well above their ranking. And someone asked the same thing about how Belgium is still at the top despite England and Italy being the best 2 teams in Europe this year. (Italy, IMO, is playing like the best team in the world). And also there's the game points awarded for winning a competitive, non-friendly match and how they drop off in a year (think about the way the world golf ranking or the tennis rankings work). The US' goal should be to be in the top 8 and get one of the #1 group seeds for the World Cup. It is something that can be accomplished for sure.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I'm pretty sure we will make it out of the Group Stage (excluding a group of death-type draw). I'm not so sure about the Mexicans. And agree with Bla, how Belgium is still #1, 5 spots above Italy is a joke.

I just don't know about our strikers. Carrot Top must be included and, of course, Zardes will be included. Then there's Hoppe, Aaronson, Gioicchini, Siebatchu, Tyler Boyd, Johannsson, Dike, et al. I like them all, but only a couple or three have European experience. Take your pick. I guess I'd choose Aaronson & Dike.

I'm pretty sure we will make it out of the Group Stage (excluding a group of death-type draw). I'm not so sure about the Mexicans. And agree with Bla, how Belgium is still #1, 5 spots above Italy is a joke.

I just don't know about our strikers. Carrot Top must be included and, of course, Zardes will be included. Then there's Hoppe, Aaronson, Gioicchini, Siebatchu, Tyler Boyd, Johannsson, Dike, et al. I like them all, but only a couple or three have European experience. Take your pick. I guess I'd choose Aaronson & Dike.
Of that long list of strikers, based on what I saw in the Gold Cup, I would pick Hoppe and Giochinni based on work rate, skill and explosiveness.

You're only taking 9's at most. I think Sargent is a given along with Zardes. My next 2 picks would be Hoppe and Aaronson (if healthy). I think Boyd's time might be over. Dike, Giaochinni and Sebatcheu need more seasoning. The rest will be hybrid MFs playing wing forward spots like Pulisic, Reyna, Arriola, Weah and throw McKennie in at the 10. There's a lot of versatility in the midfield for the US with some really dynamic players. If Berhalter uses this group to press hard we will be absolutely fine.

We should easily get out of the group stage barring being in a group like Belgium, Colombia, and Nigeria.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT