ADVERTISEMENT

GJ Kinne

Texas St is in the Sunbelt Conference which is a FBS conference
That’s true, but that doesn’t make them a FBS quality team.

For a time the former athletic director at Lamar had them join the WAC, because that was going to allegedly get them to the FBS level. That did nothing to improve the quality of the athletics offered by the university.

That seems about right.

Tells you what a crapshoot choosing a coach is. Spavital was highly touted going into that job. And I also think about how Fuente was such a star early on, only to see his success peter out.

That‘s why a coach who has had sustained success, even at lower division ball, is a good option. Someone who has built and sustained at a high level.
Wisdom here.

There’s a lot of folks on this board who were bent out of shape that Spavital, Fuente, Applewhite, Morris, and several other coaches over the years weren’t interested in TU. We have dodged many bullets. Some intentionally others simply due to incompetent people tying our hands and we lucked out.

We will get it right this time. It may not work out with Konkol, but it won’t be because of what Konkol brings to the table. Same situation with this hire. Which is totally different than the last hire where we went out and got a hot name that wasn’t right for us, had numerous red flags, and then proceeded to tell ourselves for eight years either it was the right choice or if we just weren’t the wrong place and something different he would be right. The insanity is finally over.

Last edited:
We will get it right this time. It may not work out with Konkol, but it won’t be because of what Konkol brings to the table.
I don't understand this at all. We know TU can be successful in BB, and that's never been more true than now with the portal. If Konkol doesn't work out, why would we say it's an us thing? Konkol had good results at La Tech but not great. We're asking him to step up and get better than he's been before. That's fine, but let's not pretend it's something else. I'd say the Konkol hire was about Brad's vision of TU as part of the Tulsa community. He prioritizes guys who are charming and passionate and will engage with the community and fans to make the season an event. There aren't a lot of guys who are great coaches. Konkol tells me we'll stretch ** a little ** on the coaching part to get the personality and we'll hopefully find someone who will be great at both.

We dodged bullets and stepped on land mines. I'm not sure that's what the saying is supposed to mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: t-townpod
Now GT Bynum post has a bunch of idiots posting on his , thanks Gragg for making TU look like Rice with all of the excuses the past years . TU is a great job with great chances to be successful, ask Todd Graham and Steve K.

I would rather he come here but Texas State is would not be a lateral move. FCS to FBS is never a lateral move.
Eh, top of the line FCS program or bottom of the barrel FBS program. And it's bottom of all of FBS...it's not like a Vanderbilt in the SEC. Texas St is the worst team in the Sun Belt (or whatever conference they're in) and it's not particularly close.

I don't understand this at all. We know TU can be successful in BB, and that's never been more true than now with the portal. If Konkol doesn't work out, why would we say it's an us thing? Konkol had good results at La Tech but not great. We're asking him to step up and get better than he's been before. That's fine, but let's not pretend it's something else. I'd say the Konkol hire was about Brad's vision of TU as part of the Tulsa community. He prioritizes guys who are charming and passionate and will engage with the community and fans to make the season an event. There aren't a lot of guys who are great coaches. Konkol tells me we'll stretch ** a little ** on the coaching part to get the personality and we'll hopefully find someone who will be great at both.

We dodged bullets and stepped on land mines. I'm not sure that's what the saying is supposed to mean.
Self was not a great bench coach when he first got here. But he was a stellar recruiter and good players allowed him to be a better coach on the floor. Konkol has a good signing class so he is doing the things we asked of him thus far.

“Charming and passionate and will engage with the community and fans” has been the winning choice for TU basketball. Each of our all stars, Nolan, Tubby & Self, had these traits more than any other basketball coaches of our last 40 years of TU basketball. They were all charismatic in their own way & fans & players were drawn to them. I think Carson & Dickson were looking for the right traits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT