ADVERTISEMENT

Get Ready For Trumpvilles....

This discussion implies that there are two choices: do nothing or totally lock down. There are a series of middle measures that could limit spread and get people back to work that the US is not supporting nationally. Wearing masks, increased testing, contract tracing and encouragement for social distancing and mask wearing. Even Dr. Fauci supports those would greatly reducing the impact. Why do we only talk about extremes?
Fauci lost me long ago with so many wrong predictions and contradictions and as we are seeing in Europe, the middle ground that Fauci is touting as his model doesn’t work either!

I would argue it remains to be seen if masks really do help reduce infections. Europe is a good case study. New cases have exploded over there despite strict mask policies. Add to that a recent study from the CDC showing people who wore masks had no lower infection rate than those without masks. Maybe masks provide some false sense of safety if that study is accurate.

As I've said many times I support masks if there's science or statistics showing they help reduce infections. I require all clients to wear them while in our offices. The one measure I've yet to see proposed and one guaranteed to significantly reduce the mortality rate asking or demanding people lose weight. I don't understand why we haven't harped non-stop on the #1 factor in determining the fatality rate of this virus. We can shut down businesses (60% of which will never reopen) and bankrupt our citizens but we dare not tell them to lose weight to save their lives? Strange times.

Reactions: shon46
Losing weight is a good idea for most Americans. However, like everything you can push it to extremes. Most people who are overweight, or underweight for that matter, know it. The height and weight tables are also out there.

We have the most obese population in the world and have the highest number of people who die from heart disease and suffer from type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, and a multitude of other issues due to a sedentary lifestyle coupled with poor eating habits. It’s no wonder we have a high number of China Virus deaths.

This discussion implies that there are two choices: do nothing or totally lock down. There are a series of middle measures that could limit spread and get people back to work that the US is not supporting nationally. Wearing masks, increased testing, contract tracing and encouragement for social distancing and mask wearing. Even Dr. Fauci supports those would greatly reducing the impact. Why do we only talk about extremes?

It doesn’t imply that at all. Aside from contact tracing, which is a fool’s errand, these mitigation efforts are all occurring virtually everywhere they’re necessary.

It doesn’t imply that at all. Aside from contact tracing, which is a fool’s errand, these mitigation efforts are all occurring virtually everywhere they’re necessary.
They are occurring but there is no evidence that the measures implemented have been effective.

They are occurring but there is no evidence that the measures implemented have been effective.

I think there's some evidence that reduced mobility during the lockdowns was effective at slowing the spread of the virus and spending less time in large groups due to social distancing measures has probably had some positive effects. The problem is that the most effective measures are also the most harmful economically and not sustainable.

It's hard to say on masks. Oklahoma releases a weekly report that compares case trends in mask mandate areas vs non-mask mandate areas and it doesn't seem to show much difference, but comparing denser areas (where masks are required) to rural areas might not be a worthwhile comparison.

Let's wait a year, then decide whether to mandate masks and social distancing. We'll have better data then.

Sweden took a lot of heat from experts here when they decided lockdowns were not an effective measure to combat the virus. As every day passes they are looking more and more correct. In the end their numbers are going to look very similar to the rest of their European neighbors.

I’ll ask my original question again. If masks are effective in preventing the spread of Covid then why are cases spiking in Europe where stringent mask mandates are in place ?

Reactions: shon46
I realize and respect others opinions but for me, the very mention of a possible mandate for wearing masks and social distance beyond what we have already been subjugated to is completely and totally unacceptable.

....and I just implemented a mandatory mask policy for employees outside of their offices. Not convinced it helps but it certainly doesn’t hurt.
Thanks for at least giving it a shot. Hopefully a vaccine comes along soon and makes it unnecessary.

Have you started putting people on the scales yet. I'll tell you now, I am too light or maybe just barely okay.

Evidence is now that masks protect the users:

.... "the CDC says mask wearers get a measurable amount of protection against the virus, saying masks “reduce inhalation” of possible virus-laden droplets.

“Masks are primarily intended to reduce the emission of virus-laden droplets (‘source control’), which is especially relevant for asymptomatic or presymptomatic infected wearers who feel well and may be unaware of their infectiousness to others, and who are estimated to account for more than 50% of transmissions,” the CDC reported on Tuesday. “Masks also help reduce inhalation of these droplets by the wearer (‘filtration for personal protection’). The community benefit of masking for SARS-CoV-2 control is due to the combination of these effects; individual prevention benefit increases with increasing numbers of people using masks consistently and correctly.”

“Adopting universal masking policies can help avert future lockdowns, especially if combined with other non-pharmaceutical interventions such as social distancing, hand hygiene, and adequate ventilation,” the CDC said. “The prevention benefit of masking is derived from the combination of source control and personal protection for the mask wearer.”

It’s taken the CDC 8 months to come to the conclusion that a mask mitigates the spread of a virus 😂. I’m at a loss as to why it would take health professionals who have studied the transmission of viruses their entire lives this long to discover such a novel hypothesis. Anyone care to take a stab ?

Remember the good ole days when the “experts” said we could stop or significantly slow the spread of the virus with more testing ?

Last edited:
....and I just implemented a mandatory mask policy for employees outside of their offices. Not convinced it helps but it certainly doesn’t hurt.
The Pentagon is covered with signs that say “If you are moving, you are masked.” They know what they are doing. If you are going to mask, there’s no exceptions. Wayyyy too many super spreader law firms because jerk lawyers think their bonus is more important than the health of the firm and its people.

On the other hand, there’s people at the highest levels of government, who don’t want to be on TV, who have said from the beginning that there’s nothing you can do to prevent the spread, but what you can do won’t hurt. You can mask all you want, and that can minimize te impact to you and those around you, but just like every pandemic in recorded history, it’s gonna last 18-20 months and then subside over the next 2 years after that. We’ve done all of our planning based on that. So buckle up.

I can’t imagine an owner of a business (including attorneys) who fail to take reasonable actions to safeguard their employees safety. Forgetting it’s the right thing to do but simply based on legal exposure from failing to act.

I can’t imagine an owner of a business (including attorneys) who fail to take reasonable actions to safeguard their employees safety. Forgetting it’s the right thing to do but simply based on legal exposure from failing to act.
Mrs Huffy’s sisters firm had three different partners all positive stretched out over five weeks. All were in the office. All knowingly exposed everyone in the office without telling anyone. One finally came clean and the other two then confessed. A couple of paralegals then popped positive. They are gonna own the building I’m sure. I’ve heard similar stories. There’s no reason to be in a law firm right now other than you don’t want to work at home or you aren’t able to cope with distractions or you are so obsessed with productivity you insist everyone report to a place where you can be pressured and monitored to work

Reactions: tbryce
It’s taken the CDC 8 months to come to the conclusion that a mask mitigates the spread of a virus 😂. I’m at a loss as to why it would take health professionals who have studied the transmission of viruses their entire lives this long to discover such a novel hypothesis. Anyone care to take a stab ?

Remember the good ole days when the “experts” said we could stop or significantly slow the spread of the virus with more testing ?

Except when interferred with by the White House, CDC recommendations have been consistent about masks, social distancing, etc. Serious medical studies to nail down how the virus operates take a lot longer. Ad hoc, quick ‘studies’ can produce bogus results like the ones supporting hydrochloroquinine. This is still a new virus and the science is still evolving.

S Korea is using extraordinary contact tracing as its main tool to control the virus with good results. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landig/article/PIIS2589-7500(20)30251-X/fulltext

Except when interferred with by the White House, CDC recommendations have been consistent about masks, social distancing, etc. Serious medical studies to nail down how the virus operates take a lot longer. Ad hoc, quick ‘studies’ can produce bogus results like the ones supporting hydrochloroquinine. This is still a new virus and the science is still evolving.

S Korea is using extraordinary contact tracing as its main tool to control the virus with good results. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landig/article/PIIS2589-7500(20)30251-X/fulltext
You do realize contact tracing is another method that allows big brother to legally spy on you and big tech to sell your pattern of life information to marketing companies without compensating you?

I see July 14th as the first release by the CDC asking people to wear masks. If you have a prior release please post the link. Again...this virus spreads very similarly to most viruses. It’s not (or shouldn’t have been) a mystery.

Nits. Anyone who was listening to what the pros were saying wore a mask, washed hands, stayed home, didn't take hydrochloroquinine or bleach, and socially distanced. Those who paid attention to Trump caught the virus at very high rates, including 130 Secret Service men now quarantining or infected because their boss insisted they take chances.
This out of control winter surge has long been predicted by public health officials because so many were ignoring that advice and winter would make it worse. Trump (and his sycophantic radiologist) and followers have continued to deny this situation for months. The country is paying for it.

Last edited:
I must of missed the speech where POTUS said don’t take the precautions you listed. Can you link the speech? As far as the Secret Service, or any gov employees who works a critical field, we don’t stop working just bc there is a virus. We have adjusted but I personally still went to work everyday with the rest of my colleagues even when everybody else was home. We took an oath to protect and serve. Covid or no Covid! Last time I checked, Covid still has an extremely low kill rate. No need to stay home and live in fear!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT