ADVERTISEMENT

Games of Interest (1.19.22) South Florida the Womens Edition

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
ITS GAMEDAY!!!

Tulsa Women have earned their post with a 12-2 record. They are in Tampa today to take on the South Florida Bulls. South Florida is looking to bounce back from the 16 point loss they took to UCF that dropped them out of the polls. Tulsa is looking to beat a quality opponent so that they can get some respect from those in the voting world.

We had one Conference game scheduled for today and that was Wichita State at Temple. Wichita State is on pause due to COVID related matters. The games for today and Sunday versus SMU are postponed.

Rhode Island is hosting La Salle in a game that was rescheduled from January 2nd.

And 1

Women are doing very well. I would dare to say too well especially if they win tonight and make a tear through the conference. I say this as Angie Nelp is a first year Head Coach after spending 4 years at Arizona State and finished their as an Associate Head Coach. She has turned a program around that was 9-21 in the 19-20 season and 5-14 last season to a 12-2 team and if it wasn’t for some miss queues, could be 14-0 right now. The Women’s last winning season was 2014-15 when they went 18-14, lost to Tulane in their first game of the Conference Tourney and made it to the second round of the NIT. Their last NCAA tournament appearance was in 2012-2013 with CUSA, as a 16 seed lost to Stanford in the first round. If the women keep doing well the question will be how long do we hang on to Nelp before a bigger conference or better program snatches her up?

GO TU!!!!

Today’s games

AAC Games

TeamRatingTeamRatingTimeTV
Women’s Game
Tulsa87atSouth Fl.396:00 p.m.ESPN+
Men’s Games
Wichita St.92atTemple125Postponed

Rest of GOI

TeamRatingTeamRatingTimeTV
La Salle250atRhode Island946:00 p.m.ESPN+
Indiana St.168atSouthern Ill.1457:00 p.m.ESPN+

Rankings

RankTrendTeamRecordRankTrendTeamRecord
4EvenHouston16-250Down 3Boise St.12-4
63Down 3Cincinnati12-593Up 1Rhode Island10-4
64Up 2SMU13-4108EvenOral Roberts9-6
69Down 6Memphis9-7117Up 5Utah8-10
78Up 7UCF11-5141Up 2LMU (CA)7-7
89Up 3Wichita St.9-7145EvenSouthern Ill.8-8
123Up 2Temple10-6207Down 1Oregon St.3-13
130Up 1Tulane7-8235Up 5Air Force8-7
140Down 3East Carolina11-6243Up 11Alcorn5-12
161Up 4Tulsa6-9305Up 2Little Rock3-8
211Up 7South Fla.6-11335Down 1Northwestern St.1-14

Expansion teams

RankTrendTeamRecord
41Up 1UAB13-4
57Down 2North Texas9-4
146Up 1Fla. Atlantic6-8
154EvenRice9-6
186Up 3Charlotte9-6
339Down 1UTSA4-10

Quad Tracker

Q1Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
WinQuadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 136-240
noneQuadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353
Loss
Boise St.
Memphis (A)
Houston (H)
Q2
Win
Rhode Island
Loss
Oral Roberts
SMU (H)
Q3
Win
Southern Ill.
Loss
Utah
LMU (CA)
Q4
Wins
Northwestern St.
Oregon St.
Little Rock
Alcorn State
Loss
Air Force

If the women keep doing well the question will be how long do we hang on to Nelp before a bigger conference or better program snatches her up?

We hope that happens with both programs. It shows we have NCAA tournament caliber basketball coaches and teams. We waited 14 years on Wojcik and Haith for someone to steal them and a long time on Mossman. No one wanted any of them.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I think 2 years is the minimum...she has to prove she can recruit successfully 2 years in a row. Once she gets the roster to a slightly longer one, she's going to knock it out of the park. Biggest thing I've noticed when watching the women's games is how much confidence she has in her players. It's complete opposite of Haith who tries to micromanage tight spots which usually ends up backfiring instead of just letting the players play the game. Give them concepts and a plan to execute then let them go do it...

Reactions: TU 1978
Hopefully she likes being an hour or so away from her hometown (Eufaula/Canadian) and we'll get to keep her for a while. We obviously aren't in a hurry to fix the two alleged flagship programs, so it is definitely nice to see something worth rooting for when softball and soccer aren't in season.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Hopefully she likes being an hour or so away from her hometown (Eufaula/Canadian) and we'll get to keep her for a while. We obviously aren't in a hurry to fix the two alleged flagship programs, so it is definitely nice to see something worth rooting for when softball and soccer aren't in season.
Right now men’s soccer and women’s basketball are the flagship programs.

Right now men’s soccer and women’s basketball are the flagship programs.
Too bad not enough people pay attention the cross country and distance running programs at TU. Men's cross country is a top 10 program nationwide and has sustained that. Distance running part of track and field has produced 3 national champions in recent years. We're not talking just conference powerhouse here...national powerhouse where TU has become a destination for the best collegiate level runners worldwide. Soccer could be headed that way and I'd love to see the women's basketball program moving that way.

Reactions: rusty-c
Never had an interest in track or really many individual sports for some reason. The team dynamic has always grabbed me as a participant and observer.

Reactions: rusty-c
Never had an interest in track or really many individual sports for some reason. The team dynamic has always grabbed me as a participant and observer.
I'm pretty much the same way, but it seemed like track and the Olympics were more of a big deal when I was a kid. When The Dallas Cowboys signed Bob Hayes, known as the worlds fastest man, I thought, Who are the Dallas Cowboys?

Reactions: nevadanatural
Tulsa up 54-48 at the end of 3. TU missed some chances to extend the lead out but missed FTs and some forced shots didn't help.

Unfortunately the women lost 66-63 in a game they should have won.

Rhode Island beat LaSalle 56-54

southern Illinois won 63-55

Unfortunately the women lost 66-63 in a game they should have won.

Rhode Island beat LaSalle 56-54

southern Illinois won 63-55
Our bench gave us 5 points in 55 minutes of play last night. The bench is averaging 6 points a game in conference play. It's tough with that kind of lack of depth.

Reactions: loca2874
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT