ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night

I was on a flight tonight from Charlotte to Tulsa. About 10 young men mostly wearing USF t-shirts got on the plane. They were talking about the game and one asked if the team was on the plane! Another answered that they fly in on a charter tomorrow. Two observations: 1) I think they are going to the game which is surprising if they aren’t in some kind of role with the team. 2) They better have more than those t-shirts for Friday night!

Well it looks like I got 8 positive responses, including myself. That’s actually more than I expected. Stay warm and try to enjoy the game the best you can.

Well it looks like I got 8 positive responses, including myself. That’s actually more than I expected. Stay warm and try to enjoy the game the best you can.
#gotu

Don't know about that cane rain thing though.

I will be sending let's win telepathy from the couch.

I'm on the fence. I want to go on principle, and because going to weird games is kinda fun and makes for good stories (like snow games, rain games, the notorious 3am OSU game, etc.). I have not missed many home games in ~ 20 years. It's also kind of fun to think I have actual input at the game, when the stadium is a certain empty my "suggestions" can actually be heard!

But I also don't want to go because 8pm kickoff (midnight game end?), cold, there isn't really anything at stake, and I'm trying to shake a cold. USF is bad and we all know the year Tulsa had. What's the appeal, "come watch the second worst AAC game of the season" (South Florida played Temple)?

Who am I kidding? If my wife decides to cancel the expedition it's off because I don't think I have any tools to argue in favor of going and there is approximately a zero percent chance I talk anyone else into going. Maybe I just stay home and light the fireplace, put my feet up, pile on some blankets, a couple of dogs at my feet, a cocktail in my hand, and... I'm not going, am I?

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
I'm on the fence. I want to go on principle, and because going to weird games is kinda fun and makes for good stories (like snow games, rain games, the notorious 3am OSU game, etc.). I have not missed many home games in ~ 20 years. It's also kind of fun to think I have actual input at the game, when the stadium is a certain empty my "suggestions" can actually be heard!

But I also don't want to go because 8pm kickoff (midnight game end?), cold, there isn't really anything at stake, and I'm trying to shake a cold. USF is bad and we all know the year Tulsa had. What's the appeal, "come watch the second worst AAC game of the season" (South Florida played Temple)?

Who am I kidding? If my wife decides to cancel the expedition it's off because I don't think I have any tools to argue in favor of going and there is approximately a zero percent chance I talk anyone else into going. Maybe I just stay home and light the fireplace, put my feet up, pile on some blankets, a couple of dogs at my feet, a cocktail in my hand, and... I'm not going, am I?
At least watch the basketball game from home...that game "means" something still. And there are a slew of really good Tulsa area HS games tonight as well. You could watch a bunch of players Monty should be recruiting but isn't because they're not Texans

Reactions: Henry Kendall
The basketball game being on tv right before the football game is giving me an excuse to wuss out and watch both games from my recliner.

Plus, I just returned from running errands and that's about all of this January weather I wish to endure.

It's supposed to be a lot warmer Sunday for the soccer regional.

Maybe they can scrape enough snow together to build a snowman next to the end zone for the game.

Should be a miserable weather experience, probably worse than the UH game at Skelly I attended in the 1970s when it was bitterly cold and wet.

Should be a miserable weather experience, probably worse than the UH game at Skelly I attended in the 1970s when it was bitterly cold and wet.
I attended that game. Luckily, I was in the press box spotting for the Houston radio crew. It was cold in there too. The Houston guys were in disbelief as to what was happening to their Coogs. Jimmy Stewart recovered the fumbled opening kickoff in the end zone for a TU touchdown and it was all TU all day.

I remember the SMU game in 2002 during the last season of Keith Burns. It was the week after breaking the 17 game losing streak. It was cold, rainy, and windy. My guess total people in the stands was less than 1000. That includes the SMU folk who drove north. I burned my tongue, and esophagus on the hot chocolate from the concession stand.
That was Rice. I remember that game from the field. It was sleeting and cold and you could hear the crows bouncing from bleacher to bleacher in that empty stadium.

SMU was Burns last game as a coach here. We were at SMU and the drive home was the only happy ride home I’ve ever experienced after a loss. The season was over and and we knew that we would have new leadership.

Driving to store before basketball 🏀 game. There might have been some fans at the u, 3 hours b4 the football 🏈 game.

At the game. Got inside the stadium at 7:30.
Little wind, not terribly cold. Yet!!
Not counting the band, maybe 500 people. Inside people don't count.

Reactions: noble cane
That drop pass in the end zone with no one around sums up Tulsa's season quite well...

Does anybody ever start a game thread anymore?
The University of Tulsa has done something that does not bode well for the future of the program... inspired apathy among its avid fans

We need to lose this though. Monty has to be fired. One more embarrassment is added insurance he's DUNZO.

• Haha
Reactions: TulsaAM
Yeah, that's why everybody predicted this would be our last win.
This will be a high scoring game as Monty’s ole defense rears it’s ugly head like as opponent’s offenses are like a hot knife through butter by this will end as Monty finishes the season 4 and 8 kind of matches raders 40 and 70 lifetime record ugh

That was Rice. I remember that game from the field. It was sleeting and cold and you could hear the crows bouncing from bleacher to bleacher in that empty stadium.

SMU was Burns last game as a coach here. We were at SMU and the drive home was the only happy ride home I’ve ever experienced after a loss. The season was over and and we knew that we would have new leadership.
My apologies on the opponent. My memory froze along with my nuts at that game.

The smallest crowd I’ve ever seen in the stadium was for the ‘88 Temple game. Only a few hundred were in attendance yet they still managed to run out of hot chocolate.

I doubt we go that low this week.
The TU-Temple game in 1988 may have had only 50 in the stands. My brother Barry was sitting next to Tulsa Tribune owner Jenk Jones under an umbrella. I walked up to press box and was chilled to the bone. I was writing for the Collegian, and old press box was really cold.

I talked with Dan Bitson about that game 20 years later. He said it was his coldest game ever. Hardly any passes called after 1st series. Hand off to Brett Adams all day. TU held on to win with a sack on last play.

The TU-Temple game in 1988 may have had only 50 in the stands. My brother Barry was sitting next to Tulsa Tribune owner Jenk Jones under an umbrella. I walked up to press box and was chilled to the bone. I was writing for the Collegian, and old press box was really cold.

I talked with Dan Bitson about that game 20 years later. He said it was his coldest game ever. Hardly any passes called after 1st series. Hand off to Brett Adams all day. TU held on to win with a sack on last play.
The 89 Independence Bowl and the Thanksgiving Day game vs Louisville were probably colder, but that Temple game with the rain and the north wind was the most miserable I’ve ever been at a game.

Fortunately, they let us run over to QT for some warm drinks.

When people were questioning the kickoffs at the game Friday...

People may not of thought I was serious when my response was that the kicker was trying to not break his foot on the ball. Those squib kicks were a lot less painful on the foot than a kick into the end zone.

Reactions: TU 1978
When people were questioning the kickoffs at the game Friday...

People may not of thought I was serious when my response was that the kicker was trying to not break his foot on the ball. Those squib kicks were a lot less painful on the foot than a kick into the end zone.
Nothing like trying to kick a brick..

91 so miss was no picnic either...ran Tulsa run earlier it was so cold and windy my nipples bled..lol...if we had lost that game would've ranked as an all time bad weekend

• Haha
Reactions: Henry Kendall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT