ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman Class Size

It’s one of the largest. They won’t have final numbers until matriculation closes. You’d be surprised the number of admittees who show up without warning or paying a deposit and want to enroll. Or go to OSU a few days and say “No thanks” and call up TU during the first or second week of class and ask if they can move back closer to home.

I was on campus yesterday when the Freshman teams were on their way to the Reynolds Center for the Matriculation ceremony. There did seem to be a lot more groups than in recent years.

I was on campus yesterday when the Freshman teams were on their way to the Reynolds Center for the Matriculation ceremony. There did seem to be a lot more groups than in recent years.
It may be as many as 20% more than last year. We will know soon.

This is good news. Glad to have Carson leading us in a positive direction.

Reactions: eastcane
I don’t see how 700 is that large a class as in the past we had around 4,000 undergraduate enrollment. I’d be interested to see some enrollment history. It doesn’t seem to be out there on the internet.

Reactions: astonmartin708
I don’t see how 700 is that large a class as in the past we had around 4,000 undergraduate enrollment. I’d be interested to see some enrollment history. It doesn’t seem to be out there on the internet.
I know the goal was 1000+ new freshman but it’s definitely a step in the right direction

1000 was the goal, 750 was a success. It will be close. Far better than the high 400s and lower 500s the last few years. In the end, numbers matter little, it’s how much net combined revenue per student and per class that matters. How much hard coin do some or all pay? You can have 976 Pell Grant students and 141 local kids on deep discount aka “merit scholarship as determined by people whose bosses are checking how many people enroll” and go broke. We need a product people will pay for and people have confidence in. Not the local posh country club school kids with a 3.85 go to because it’s marked down cheap and close to home.

Last edited:
If it’s the right 700+ that are ready, willing, and able to do the work then it’s a great number. If they matriculate to their sophomore year and beyond then it will be an excellent class.
This. Retention is key and under the previous two regimes it was atrocious. We need to stop admitting kids that aren’t ready and/or aren’t willing. Nobody is leaving TU anymore because they can’t pay. We can work on that and we have worked HARD. A large number of them are leaving because they have health or study habit or social issues. That’s gotta end. And in some cases it means you never should have been admitted on the front end.

Reactions: rusty-c
If it’s the right 700+ that are ready, willing, and able to do the work then it’s a great number. If they matriculate to their sophomore year and beyond then it will be an excellent class.
We need to hold on to every one of them and stoke those embers into a fire over the next four years.

Reactions: rusty-c
1000 was the goal, 750 was a success. It will be close. Far better than the high 400s and lower 500s the last few years. In the end, numbers matter little, it’s how much net combined revenue per student and per class that matters. How much hard coin do some or all pay? You can have 976 Pell Grant students and 141 local kids on deep discount aka “merit scholarship as determined by people whose bosses are checking how many people enroll” and go broke. We need a product people will pay for and people have confidence in. Not the local posh country club school kids with a 3.85 go to because it’s marked down cheap and close to home.
Hey those steep local discounts come in handy, especially when you have two that overlap.

Reactions: drboobay
Hey those steep local discounts come in handy, especially when you have two that overlap.
All I can say to that is that if you want TU to be transformed into the place you believe it should be, it will be you and countless other parents who will be making that possible.

The TU website says we have just over 2600 undergrads, the 4000 is with grad students.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT