ADVERTISEMENT

(Free content) TU Summer Position Analysis - Defensive Line

This doesn’t sound promising - ““I think we’ve got to be multiple on defense,” TU head coach Philip Montgomery said. “I don’t think we can line up in one thing and be the dominant defense that we want to be. We’ve got to keep people off guard a little bit and keep them on their heels.”

Reading between the lines....D Line is an issue and we're going to need to scheme to hide our deficiencies.

we are not in a good spot...but hopefully some guys will really come on that we don't expect...maybe a couple of the juco kids

I think the DL will be surprisingly good for us this year. I like Gipson and I really like Deven Lamp. They're super athletic and long guys. If someone teaches them to get their hands up it will make the quick slants difficult on the QB/WR timing that route demands. And the lack of depth/experience last year at the DT positions, I feel strongly they will be pretty stout this year. I don't see us getting gashed up the middle when we are in the 4 and with Stevenson at NT in the 3, we might be able to bottle up the draws in normal passing downs. Really the DL needs to occupy the OL as a whole and the LBs need to fill the gaps quickly. Our problem in the past has been the ability of OLs to single block our DL and allow the extra OL/FB to get a block on our MLB or safety. Not to bash any players but I felt one of our biggest weaknesses last year was the ability of the MLB to get off those blocks.

As for the "multiple" comment, our D was much more efficient when we brought in the 5th DB and changed to the 3-3-5 formation. Our DBs should be a strength unit this season.

BTW, prediction 1: Jaxon Player starts in the 4 man front by the 6th game of the season. This kid is a special player. Had he been 6'2" tall instead of 6', he would have been a 4* player that schools like TCU, Tech, Kansas, & Baylor would have been all over.

I don't think Monty meant that as such a derogatory stab at our personel as it was a schematic thing. Always sitting in a 4 man front has certainly dinged us when it comes to passing coverage and pocket penetration in years past. Maybe Monty finally wants to fix that. I think this is a good thing.

I don't think Monty meant that as such a derogatory stab at our personel as it was a schematic thing. Always sitting in a 4 man front has certainly dinged us when it comes to passing coverage and pocket penetration in years past. Maybe Monty finally wants to fix that. I think this is a good thing.
Right. I'd almost like to see a 4-2-5 in 2nd and 3rd and long (obvious passing downs). I think our front 4 is a strength and our LBs need help. Any time we can play to our strengths will be advantageous. Unless we have a MLB that can really run and pursue and/or cover the RB, then the more DBs or DB hybrid types that are on the field for us, the better the D will be overall.

Right. I'd almost like to see a 4-2-5 in 2nd and 3rd and long (obvious passing downs). I think our front 4 is a strength and our LBs need help. Any time we can play to our strengths will be advantageous. Unless we have a MLB that can really run and pursue and/or cover the RB, then the more DBs or DB hybrid types that are on the field for us, the better the D will be overall.
Completely agree. And if we really want to keep utilizing LB's, I'd even support running a 3-3-5 on 2nd or 3rd down against the less run capable teams in our league. Put a kid like Stevenson who can eat up space at the nose and then you can blitz LB's as you wish or drop them into coverage, plus you have that extra DB roaming around making things difficult for their passing game

Completely agree. And if we really want to keep utilizing LB's, I'd even support running a 3-3-5 on 2nd or 3rd down against the less run capable teams in our league. Put a kid like Stevenson who can eat up space at the nose and then you can blitz LB's as you wish or drop them into coverage, plus you have that extra DB roaming around making things difficult for their passing game
You need a legit hybrid to play the odd stack and we simply dont have that. I took the comment about the multiple front to mean three things: 1) he's got confidence in the smarts of his starters to play in different sets and they are versatile enough as athletes to do that. 2) Depth wise we simply dont have 4 or 5 interior lineman necessary to rotate in and out to stay competitive in a four man front. 3) We like the 4 man front, but there are teams on the schedule that will have difficulty scoring on a three man front and we will be ready for that.

When he made the comment to me, I took it as defenses today have to change things up. Also, I took it as Tulsa isn't going to dominate on defense, so they have to be creative.

I didn't look at it as a slam on his personnel. But obviously, Tulsa, on offense or defense, has to be creative because it isn't going to have dominant personnel. TU can have very good players, but I doubt the reincarnation of Willie Townes is out there.

I do believe TU is a place where successful NFL players can be developed. But as far as a unit being physically dominating, no.
But TU can be a place that has a good, solid defense.

Even NFL defenses disguise looks and blitz from anywhere. Offenses today are too good to play it straight up.

Also, I rarely get too excited about incoming players, but Jaxon Player really intrigues me. I really think he could be outstanding before the season is over.

Let's see how unblockable he is on the scout team against our excellent O-line. Then use him in the last 4 games to help assure a bowl. Four games plus four years has me salivating for this kid. He gets some valuable experience & is ready to rock his RS Frosh year. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT