ADVERTISEMENT

Freddie’s of Sapulpa

I haven't been in a long time. But if it's gone the way of Joseph's in Drumright, then I'd understand why they wouldn't have much business.
Tex Slyman the owner died a few months ago. The family made the decision to close. I stopped by Sat night on my way back to my parents from the game to grab cabbage rolls to go. It was packed. This was the day day before the announcement so I think the decision was more related to running the operation.

The TU Jersey was still proudly displayed in the foyer.

Tex Slyman the owner died a few months ago. The family made the decision to close. I stopped by Sat night on my way back to my parents from the game to grab cabbage rolls to go. It was packed. This was the day day before the announcement so I think the decision was more related to running the operation.

The TU Jersey was still proudly displayed in the foyer.
Got ya...didn't realize he passed.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
I’m worried about the Lebanese steakhouses. There’s really only one left, Jamil’s, and it’s a mess. I realize there are price point issues, but there will always be a market for these places here. Hope someone keeps it going.

Edmond was a distant cousin from Bristow and going back to the old country. His sister Roseanne sometimes takes tickets at entry to TU basketball games.

The restaurant business requires so much time and devotion. It is not surprising his wife wanted to have a life outside of running the place.

I’m worried about the Lebanese steakhouses. There’s really only one left, Jamil’s, and it’s a mess. I realize there are price point issues, but there will always be a market for these places here. Hope someone keeps it going.
There’s definitely love. I had a client up in Nowata that vowed if he ever won the lottery he would buy Jamil’s and restore it to glory.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
There’s definitely love. I had a client up in Nowata that vowed if he ever won the lottery he would buy Jamil’s and restore it to glory.
Is Jamil’s open? I don’t live in the area any longer but every time I am in town and drive by it looked closed.

The Jamil's in OKC is owned by a former Tulsan and seems to be doing well as far as I can tell. The original family owns the one in Tulsa.

I made a quick stop for some cabbage rolls and salad dressing while in town a few days ago. I got there about 11:15. The place was packed. Probably 75% of capacity when I got there not including the line in the bar to pick up Thanksgiving orders. While I was waiting for my to go order (along with 4 other customers) another five groups came in to be seated. I guess everyone was trying to get the last fix before they close.

Me and my siblings met there yesterday (Saturday). It was packed but everyone was in a good mood. The experience was better than the food. But some restaurant ought to buy the cabbage roll and tabouleh recipes, call them Freddie’s on their menu. Win/win for all parties.

Going for a lawyer event tomorrow. They have catered our meetings for as long as I can remember, mid 2000’s. There were a lot of times where a cold beer and an ice cream scoop of tabouli plus some chicken for me through a long day followed by CLE with this group. What a treasure this place has been for our community.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
We were chatting with the late owner's sister Rosie last night. She has been a ticket taker for years at TU basketball.

Apparently the restaurant is crazy busy. But as Rosie said "I told my sister-in-law that she has a passport so she and I need to start using it."

Edmond's wife needs to enjoy life while she can and not live at a restaurant day and night. That's all it is about. Didn't ask why they did not pursue selling, but often the character of an establishment changes a lot when it changes hands anyway. It did when my dad sold his place in the early 90s.

We were chatting with the late owner's sister Rosie last night. She has been a ticket taker for years at TU basketball.

Apparently the restaurant is crazy busy. But as Rosie said "I told my sister-in-law that she has a passport so she and I need to start using it."

Edmond's wife needs to enjoy life while she can and not live at a restaurant day and night. That's all it is about. Didn't ask why they did not pursue selling, but often the character of an establishment changes a lot when it changes hands anyway. It did when my dad sold his place in the early 90s.
A friend in Sapulpa told me it is unofficially for sale. Unfortunately the early discussions with potential buyer hit a snag because the kitchen needs an expansion and major update. The cost to do that led to the potential party to walking away. Not sure of the accuracy but the person is likely in a position to know.

A friend in Sapulpa told me it is unofficially for sale. Unfortunately the early discussions with potential buyer hit a snag because the kitchen needs an expansion and major update. The cost to do that led to the potential party to walking away. Not sure of the accuracy but the person is likely in a position to know.
Makes sense.

They also need to raise their prices. Hard to do in that part of the world. But what you get there for the price isn’t commensurate with other restaurants these days.

They also need to raise their prices. Hard to do in that part of the world. But what you get there for the price isn’t commensurate with other restaurants these days.
Again the owner does not want to put the time and energy into the business. She would rather enjoy retirement, travel and spend time with family..No point changing prices.

The saddest part of this saga is the remark about the passport. I grew up working in the family restaurant. It put me through TU. Or should I say the regulars I miss put me through. Later in life, as a young lawyer, I moonlighted in a restaurant on Saturdays because I missed it. I put every penny I earned into a separate account and spent it traveling the world. More than 30 countries before I quit because I got too old to work 65-70 hour weeks. When I’m 93 and in the nursing home, I’ll remember sitting in a restaurant in San Gimignano Italy, watching the youngsters serve the locals, sipping the best white wine I will ever taste for 2€ a glass, and wondering what life holds for them and where they want to go in this world and where they’ll be when they wish they were right back at home serving the locals and seeing their smiles. Don’t be surprised if Freddie’s never sells and it’s taken off the market.

The saddest part of this saga is the remark about the passport. I grew up working in the family restaurant. It put me through TU. Or should I say the regulars I miss put me through. Later in life, as a young lawyer, I moonlighted in a restaurant on Saturdays because I missed it. I put every penny I earned into a separate account and spent it traveling the world. More than 30 countries before I quit because I got too old to work 65-70 hour weeks. When I’m 93 and in the nursing home, I’ll remember sitting in a restaurant in San Gimignano Italy, watching the youngsters serve the locals, sipping the best white wine I will ever taste for 2€ a glass, and wondering what life holds for them and where they want to go in this world and where they’ll be when they wish they were right back at home serving the locals and seeing their smiles. Don’t be surprised if Freddie’s never sells and it’s taken off the market.
It may not sell and that's ok.Family will be fine and the passport will be well utilized I am sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT