ADVERTISEMENT

Football vs futbal

nevadanatural

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
If the proposed European super soccer league happens and is successful would that be another item pushing the top teams in college football to break away from the NCAA and form their own exclusive scheduling group or is football operating in a vacuum? Thoughts?

If the proposed European super soccer league happens and is successful would that be another item pushing the top teams in college football to break away from the NCAA and form their own exclusive scheduling group or is football operating in a vacuum? Thoughts?
I still think there is antitrust suits written and lined up waiting to go if that happens.

The Euro Super League is falling apart already. Chelsea and Man City are being reported to dropping out already. The UEFA and FIFA blowback and potential player bans from their national teams. European players may not care because they crave the $. The South American players will care as national team competition is a key motivator for many (maybe I'm giving them too much credit). I wonder what US based players on those squads think?

Also, the Super League is pretty much the same as MLS in terms of owners buying in trying to get rich on the cheapest quality product. As Pep said, it's not sport if there is no true competition. He was referring to the pro/rel model and how teams fight to win their domestic leagues and some fight like hell just to stay in the league. Watch the bottom of the EPL table right now...Burnley, West Brom, Newcastle, Brighton are all fighting like mad to stay out of the bottom 3 and watching their games is really fun. Pep doesn't think the Super League is good for sport. I suspect not having a head coach on board would be a reason to withdraw from it. I would suspect Liverpool and Man U might follow suit. I think this Super League will be a thing of the past before it was ever truly a thing of the future.

It was fake to begin with. It’s about highlighting money generating disparities during a tough time and ego. If they were serious German and French clubs would have been involved.

It’s just a matter of time until colleges see a 32 team league with a 16 team playoff break away. Been coming since the BCS. The greed of the Big 10 and Texas has stopped it. Neither has an incentive to break away and share with a new league. 2025 might be the time to do it

Reactions: TU4ever2
Now 4 teams have dropped. Barca and Atletico have now joined them. Man U's chairman just resigned over the backlash so I would assume they are soon to follow. That leaves Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal, and 3 Italian clubs, and Real Madrid. That's super for sure considering Spurs and Arsenal are languishing mid pack in EPL right now and outside of Juve, Italian soccer is hit or miss.

So (ig)Noble Cane disparages the world's most popular sport. OK, fine! I, however, have enjoyed "the beautiful game" since the Roughnecks. And through covid cancellations at TU, futbol has kept me (reasonably) sane. With all the Yanks in European football gaining that invaluable experience, our US National team is getting ready to kick some A$$ on the world stage. Not only has it been entertaining (even with empty stands), but it makes me extremely proud to be an American with their success overseas.

So (ig)Noble Cane disparages the world's most popular sport. OK, fine! I, however, have enjoyed "the beautiful game" since the Roughnecks. And through covid cancellations at TU, futbol has kept me (reasonably) sane. With all the Yanks in European football gaining that invaluable experience, our US National team is getting ready to kick some A$$ on the world stage. Not only has it been entertaining (even with empty stands), but it makes me extremely proud to be an American with their success overseas.
Soccer.. yawn. Zz-zzzzz-zzz.

Careful NC, with all these naps you're taking, your internal clock might reset & screw up nighty-nite time. To be safe, just don't think about futbol ever again.

Careful NC, with all these naps you're taking, your internal clock might reset & screw up nighty-nite time. To be safe, just don't think about futbol ever again.
I dont... but as people tell me.. this is a Football board.. there is a bored for soccer zzzxxxxzzzzzzz.... discussions , just like politics..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT