Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
media release...

TULSA, Okla. ––
Five Tulsa Golden Hurricane football student-athletes were named to the American Athletic Conference's all-conference team, the league announced today. Defensive end Trevis Gipson and cornerback Reggie Robinson II were selected to the first team, while linebackers Cooper Edmiston and Zaven Collins, and running back Shamari Brooks earned second-team honors.

Gipson, a 6'4", 268-pound senior from Cedar Hill (Texas) High School, finished the season with 49 tackles from his end position. He was among the league leaders for sacks with 8 for -52 yards and tackles for loss with 15 for -72 yards, ranking 5th in both categories. He also added 6 quarterback hurries and forced 2 fumbles on the year.

Robinson II was the league's leader for passes defended with 17, including a conference leading 4 interceptions and 13 pass break-ups. The 6'1" senior from Cleburne (Texas) High School totaled 38 tackles, ranked 9th in the AAC for fumbles recovered with 2 and had one blocked kick this year.

Robinson was named The American's Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against UCF when he totaled 5 tackles, all solos, 3 pass break-ups and one interception that led to Tulsa's game-winning field goal. In the Wyoming game, Robinson blocked a field goal and recovered a fumble late in the game that gave Tulsa the victory. In the season finale against ECU, Robinson collected a career-best 4 pass break-ups and had a 31-yard fumble recovery.

Gipson finished his career with 114 tackles, 25.5 TFLs and 13 sacks, while Robinson tallied 132 stops, 34 pass break-ups and 4 blocked kicks in his career.

Tulsa's linebacker duo of Edmiston and Collins were 1-2 on the Tulsa roster and also ranked first and third in The American for tackles. A 6'3" senior from Gatesville, Texas, Edmiston became just the third player in school history to record 100+ tackles in three separate seasons as he finished the year with 106 stops, including 3.5 tackles for -9 yards, and added one pass break-up and one forced fumble.

Edmiston's forced fumble against Wyoming came late in the game and preserved Tulsa's 24-21 win, and thus helped earn him the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Week award.

Edmiston ended his career with 343 tackles and 17 double-figure tackle games.

Collins, a sophomore from Hominy (Okla.) High School, tallied 97 tackles and was second on the team behind Gipson for TFLs with 8 for -27 yards. He also had 3 pass break-ups, one fumble recovery and blocked one kick. He had a season-high 13 stops in the Navy game and his 9-tackle, 2-TFL and one-sack performance helped Tulsa capture its win over UCF.

In his two seasons, Collins, who was a Freshman All-American in 2018, has totaled 182 tackles, 17.5 TFLs and 6 pass break-ups.

A junior from Tulsa's Union High School, Brooks became just the 21st player in school history this year to run for over 1,000 yards in a single season. He finished the season with 1,046 yards and 6 touchdowns, while also catching 9 passes for 49 yards.

Brooks topped the 1,000-yard plateau in the season finale when he gained a career-best 202 yards on 16 carries for a 12.6 average per attempt against ECU. He had 4 100-yard rushing games this year to give him 12 for his career.

Brooks will enter his senior season in 2020 with 2,700 career rushing yards and 23 touchdowns.

American Athletic Conference Tulsa All-League Selections
First-Team
Trevis Gipson, DE
Reggie Robinson II, CB

Second-Team
Shamari Brooks, RB
Zaven Collins, LB
Cooper Edmiston, LB

The offensive genius put one offensive player on an all conference team.

Good for our defense they deserve to be recognized collectively and individually. They played well all year.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Zach Smith passed for the 7th most yards in a season for Tulsa. He's behind a couple of guys that will likely be TU HOF'ers and a couple more that already are. Moreover.... he did it behind a shoddy offensive line and with receivers that were still trying to sure themselves up as starters to begin the season, and add in a game that he couldn't finish due to injury. If you add in the 87 yards he didn't get to throw that Boomer did, he moves into 6th place.

That's ahead of Dane in 2014 + 2016. GJ in 2009 + 2011. Gus Frerotte. And any of Kragthorpe's seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: quincy101
Zach Smith passed for the 7th most yards in a season for Tulsa. He's behind a couple of guys that will likely be TU HOF'ers and a couple more that already are. Moreover.... he did it behind a shoddy offensive line and with receivers that were still trying to sure themselves up as starters to begin the season, and add in a game that he couldn't finish due to injury. If you add in the 87 yards he didn't get to throw that Boomer did, he moves into 6th place.

That's ahead of Dane in 2014 + 2016. GJ in 2009 + 2011. Gus Frerotte. And any of Kragthorpe's seasons.

Where do his win totals rank? Because that's what matters, not individual passing yards.

Of course this was about Monty and his stunning offensive coaching ability but when you can't defend that I guess you prop up a 4-8 QB as a player and a coaching shield.

We need offense in 2020! No ands, ifs, butts, could have, wish we would have spin.

Delegation is the key to wins.

It is time to delegate or change your coaching style Monty, time will tell.

We need offense in 2020! No ands, ifs, butts, could have, wish we would have spin.

Delegation is the key to wins.

It is time to delegate or change your coaching style Monty, time will tell.
Unless he's been told that is going to happen then I see little chance of that happening. I seem to remember an interview toward the end of the season where he pizzed all over any suggestion of such delegation or modification.

Unless he's been told that is going to happen then I see little chance of that happening. I seem to remember an interview toward the end of the season where he pizzed all over any suggestion of such delegation or modification.
We have to have a stick to do that. Our administration doesn't have the kahonas to threaten his employ.

We have to have a stick to do that. Our administration doesn't have the kahonas to threaten his employ.
My point exactly, he basically looked at the camera and said what you see is what you get and what your getting is what you need.

My point exactly, he basically looked at the camera and said what you see is what you get and what your getting is what you need.
So we’ll have more of the same :crap: next year. Glad I won’t waste my time or money on anything related to TU until there’s a regime change in academics and athletics.

Reactions: TU_BLA
So we’ll have more of the same :crap: next year. Glad I won’t waste my time or money on anything related to TU until there’s a regime change in academics and athletics.
Exactly. There's plenty of talent on both sides of the ball for next year we should be picked a lot higher in the conference (maybe 6th overall). Cincinnati will be the preseason favorite conditionally based on whether or not Milton is able to come back and play for UCF. If Milton's back, UCF will be the favorite followed by Cincy. My order would be:
1) UCF/Cincy (see above)
2) Cincy /UCF
3) Houston (if all the SR RS actually return to Houston)
4) SMU (Dykes is an under-rated coach)
5) Memphis (lots of talent remains despite Norvell leaving)
6) Tulsa (lots of talent returning)
7) USF (new coach, new attitude)
8) Navy (steady)
9) Tulane (still a threat to be better)
10) Temple (has been solid since Rhule left)
11) ECU (sorry)

I do know that after the top 3 it can fall any which way. Every team 1-10 has some real quality to their rosters. Talent-wise, we should finish top 6. However we are probably #10 when it comes to coaching intangibles

Exactly. There's plenty of talent on both sides of the ball for next year we should be picked a lot higher in the conference (maybe 6th overall). Cincinnati will be the preseason favorite conditionally based on whether or not Milton is able to come back and play for UCF. If Milton's back, UCF will be the favorite followed by Cincy. My order would be:
1) UCF/Cincy (see above)
2) Cincy /UCF
3) Houston (if all the SR RS actually return to Houston)
4) SMU (Dykes is an under-rated coach)
5) Memphis (lots of talent remains despite Norvell leaving)
6) Tulsa (lots of talent returning)
7) USF (new coach, new attitude)
8) Navy (steady)
9) Tulane (still a threat to be better)
10) Temple (has been solid since Rhule left)
11) ECU (sorry)

I do know that after the top 3 it can fall any which way. Every team 1-10 has some real quality to their rosters. Talent-wise, we should finish top 6. However we are probably #10 when it comes to coaching intangibles

At least you're homer all the time, good or bad, I respect that. We aren't going to be in the top half of the conference. We aren't going to better than Navy or Tulane. We SHOULD be better than Temple and ECU but that is a HUGE should. I have no idea why you are putting Temple at 10 after an 8-4 season.

I have zero confidence in Monty to get this team anywhere near the top half of the conference. I don't think we will sniff 6-6 and if we do I think we will get a bowl snub.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT