ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Monty

I agree 100%.

I would rather lose by 30 and play with discipline than lose by 9 because of completely controllable factors.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I feel for our student athletes game was ours to win just sick to my stomach defense played its heart out. To think this dip :crap: is still employed by a university is beyond me what a looser he really is I hope by the time I get back down the turnpike to T Town Dickson has fired his inept but and made Gillespie the head coach. 15 penaltys and a tired defense is all I got left to say at this point

I have been indifferent towards Monty but today put me firmly in the fire Monty camp. So many opportunities wasted today. Wasn't aggressive on offensive.

I see 3, maybe 4 wins. hopefully that's good enough to get monty fired finally.
Won’t even come close to 3-4 wins and that’s sad because we have enough talent to win the conference. Yeah, we’d have to play our absolute best against Cincinnati and UCF, but the team is capable. The head coach is not capable. He has no idea how to use the talent on his team, we’ve got so many freaking good running backs that are misused in down and situation, we have capable WRs and he keeps running his son out there as the 1st option in a 4 WR set. If he was an under rated player, then fine, but he’s not a Wes Walker or Julian Edelmann or a Cole Beasley type.

Things looked so hopeful when he was hired.. so how do we endup with a coach that cant coach and can't recruit?

I am going to disagree that he can't recruit. I think, all things being considered, he has recruited very well with the bad performance over the years.

Rader: Good coach, inferior talent
Monty: Inferior coach, good talent

I am going to disagree that he can't recruit. I think, all things being considered, he has recruited very well with the bad performance over the years.

Rader: Good coach, inferior talent
Monty: Inferior coach, good talent
Agree except QB and WR, the two positions in the modern game you must recruit to win. He’s displayed no ability to attract a conference winning QB to this program, only the ability to entice two guys he already knew who weren’t going to play at Baylor. Winning a living room and announcing a verbal from a junior with the potential to be another Smith, Kinne, or Evans would go a long way towards saving his job. I doubt he can do it and would tell you he doesn’t need to as Brin learns the system.

There are also 2 walk on QBs that hold records in both of their home states that if given an opportunity would be amazing. Brandon Marquardt (Oklahoma) and Carson Collins (Texas) actually broke Baker Mayfields records.... They have tremendous QB options..... they will never be tapped when the coach has no interest in making any changes to his line ups and his coaches are afraid to speak up. Ridiculous

There are also 2 walk on QBs that hold records in both of their home states that if given an opportunity would be amazing. Brandon Marquardt (Oklahoma) and Carson Collins (Texas) actually broke Baker Mayfields records.... They have tremendous QB options..... they will never be tapped when the coach has no interest in making any changes to his line ups and his coaches are afraid to speak up. Ridiculous
Not sold on Marquardt. I know he set a bunch of records his senior season but that Norman North team was absolutely freaking loaded and they had that Wes Welker-catch everything he could get a hand on receiver in the older Stoops boy. Marquardt has below avg. arm strength from what I recall. In watching the state championship game his senior season, Union really made him struggle to find things downfield, especially in the 2nd half. I don't know about the other kid. Boomer and Brin are better suited to get this team rolling if Smith is replaced.

Monty is taking this program lower and lower and our weak administration is just standing by year after year and watching it happen, all the while paying him $1M a year.

Same old song and dance. Run it up the middle 20x a game. Commit 10+ penalties. Miss 26 yard game tying field goal. Throw to Cannon Montgomery on critical 3rd down play. Go into stall mode mid 3rd quarter thinking he would nurse a 7-3 lead to the end.

We have all seen this happen over and over and over. I really can’t believe after last year that we didn’t at least make him hire an OC. Nope! We are just going to watch it play out all over again.

VERY SAD!

Not sold on Marquardt. I know he set a bunch of records his senior season but that Norman North team was absolutely freaking loaded and they had that Wes Welker-catch everything he could get a hand on receiver in the older Stoops boy. Marquardt has below avg. arm strength from what I recall. In watching the state championship game his senior season, Union really made him struggle to find things downfield, especially in the 2nd half. I don't know about the other kid. Boomer and Brin are better suited to get this team rolling if Smith is replaced.
Agreed. An intriguing prospect but we would have heard more by now if his smarts, accuracy and vision (which I’m told he makes the grade on) was enough to make up for lack of height and arm strength. Throwing an out in college or throwing late boundary side is not the same as in high school.

You don’t have to play to help the team win. And he does that every day in practice. To the extent we win at all. His parents are awesome btw. Easy to find in the crowd at any game.

Reactions: Sbellini
I didn't listen to any post game interviews and don't get the TW online subscription. Did anyone hear anything from Montgomery suggesting that he has to improve in any way? Is the "ineptness" headline from the Hines article sinking in at all? If he really thinks his players are the problem, this will not get any better. I hate that because I really like this team and we finally have a defense that should keep us in every game.

The journalists who cover the team need to call Monty out. I know that may reduce their access but if they want to tell the truth, they need to mention all the things everyone on this board knows.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
There’s nothing wrong with Smith

IIRC he is a father of a player, so give cred where due, that one or both have seen Marquardt and Collins in practice.

Dane was less mobile than Smith has been and he did fine.
Evans also had probably the greatest collective group of WRs that TU has maybe ever seen. Maybe 2008 or 2010 comes close. I mean Lucas, Garrett, Atkinson, and Hobbs. That entire group knew how to get separation. We don't have anyone that can create separation right now.

Reactions: quincy101
Dane was less mobile than Smith has been and he did fine.
The offense struggled at times because Dane could not risk injury and did not run after President went down. It was a major surprise when he did, typically on third down or near the goal line. The offense typically worked much better immediately after those runs. We all remember this.

Evans also had probably the greatest collective group of WRs that TU has maybe ever seen. Maybe 2008 or 2010 comes close. I mean Lucas, Garrett, Atkinson, and Hobbs. That entire group knew how to get separation. We don't have anyone that can create separation right now.
Best ever? The Howard Twilley, Neal Sweeney, Jeff Jordan group was pretty good.

The 2008 WR corp that included Brennan Marion, Charles Clay, Damaris Johnson, AJ Whitmore, Slick Shelley, Jesse Meyer was definitely better than Evans' collective of WRs. In fact, they were ranked as a top 5 WR corp in the country across all conferences headed into the season. And that was with Damaris Johnson being 4th string to start the 2008 season!

Just a spit ball, but maybe one, perhaps two, of that group sees the field in 07 or 08. Conversely, 7 deep from 2008 would have played with Evans, including Dion Toliver and Jesse Meyer. In ‘07, I’m taking that roster top to bottom until we get to Clarence Clemons and former walk on Kyle Grooms.

Get out the roster and play Marco Polo. Who is in and out of the pool? You’ll end up with more ‘08 than ‘15 by a long shot. We gained a lot of yards because Evans was a hoss, the line was improving, and people hadn’t seen what we were doing much and weren’t yet so darn predictable. Those guys were very good. ‘08 was filled with great players.

Just a spit ball, but maybe one, perhaps two, of that group sees the field in 07 or 08. Conversely, 7 deep from 2008 would have played with Evans, including Dion Toliver and Jesse Meyer. In ‘07, I’m taking that roster top to bottom until we get to Clarence Clemons and former walk on Kyle Grooms.

Get out the roster and play Marco Polo. Who is in and out of the pool? You’ll end up with more ‘08 than ‘15 by a long shot. We gained a lot of yards because Evans was a hoss, the line was improving, and people hadn’t seen what we were doing much and weren’t yet so darn predictable. Those guys were very good. ‘08 was filled with great players.
Yep. I forgot how many great players were in the WR group in '08. You got DJ and Milkman who took most of the attention, but I really liked Slick as a player.

Lucas and Garrett sure, but I think Crawford + Stokes are at least on the level of Atkinson and Hobbs if not quite a bit better than both. Johnson had some great plays the other day and you have JC Santana who's alright as well. I was amazed at how rusty Smith's touch seemed. He was underthrowing or overthrowing routes consistently. He could use more practice, and he could also really use a guy of Garrett's stature in terms of size and strength. We don't have any receivers like OSU's Wallace that can just out muscle CB's.

Lucas and Garrett sure, but I think Crawford + Stokes are at least on the level of Atkinson and Hobbs if not quite a bit better than both. Johnson had some great plays the other day and you have JC Santana who's alright as well. I was amazed at how rusty Smith's touch seemed. He was underthrowing or overthrowing routes consistently. He could use more practice, and he could also really use a guy of Garrett's stature in terms of size and strength. We don't have any receivers like OSU's Wallace that can just out muscle CB's.
And Wallace is not exactly jumping off the charts in the height category. 5'11" at best (despite OSU listing him at 6'). He has great athletic ability and refuses to lose in jump ball situations. Our DBs tried to muscle him and were pretty successful until the refs decided Wallace needed to shine. Couple of the PI calls were iffy at best. You won't see some of them at the next level when you've got guys like Jalen Ramsey and Gilmore just manhandling WRs at the line. And Wallace doesn't have that break away speed like CeeDee Lamb has. Wallace is more of a Golden Tate type of WR which is serviceable but he's not in the same mold as Dez Bryant and Blackmon.

Smith looked terrible throwing the ball save for a couple of passes the other day. The TD throw to Johnson reminded me of how good he can be and at times looks like an NFL caliber QB. The severe under throw to Crawford (think it was Crawford) was the WTF moment. If you're underthrowing a guy on purpose, it at least has to be on the outside shoulder away from the defender and safety.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I would suspect that’s where he was trying to throw it but the accuracy was lacking. He’s got a mean arm when his feet are set and he can get his body into it. That’s no always the case with our line and the play call.

BTW, noticeably missing was that ridiculous tactic of having the offensive line form up heavy and forward on their stance and spaced for a run and then having President/Skipper/Smith struggle to back foot a throw to a WR in traffic for an incompletion. So there’s improvement there ... if we don’t see that high school stuff again.

Reactions: TU 1978
Let's see, one week of Spring practice, totally screwed fall camp due to Covid & Smith can't run it or throw it? Don't think he was recruited to run it, but I expect to see major improvement in total pass yds. vs Arkie St with another week of preparation.

And Wallace is not exactly jumping off the charts in the height category. 5'11" at best (despite OSU listing him at 6'). He has great athletic ability and refuses to lose in jump ball situations. Our DBs tried to muscle him and were pretty successful until the refs decided Wallace needed to shine. Couple of the PI calls were iffy at best. You won't see some of them at the next level when you've got guys like Jalen Ramsey and Gilmore just manhandling WRs at the line. And Wallace doesn't have that break away speed like CeeDee Lamb has. Wallace is more of a Golden Tate type of WR which is serviceable but he's not in the same mold as Dez Bryant and Blackmon.

Smith looked terrible throwing the ball save for a couple of passes the other day. The TD throw to Johnson reminded me of how good he can be and at times looks like an NFL caliber QB. The severe under throw to Crawford (think it was Crawford) was the WTF moment. If you're underthrowing a guy on purpose, it at least has to be on the outside shoulder away from the defender and safety.
The crossing route that Cannon Montgomery dropped was really good as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT