ADVERTISEMENT

FC Dallas defeats TU 5-1

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
Forgot to post this the other day

Follensbee is a speedy, speedy freshman who had some injury issues after graduating from an Orlando high school. You used to see his name thrown around as a possible U18 MNT selection, but nothing since then about the U20 or U23 teams that I know of.

There's another freshman from Florida named Tarik Salkicic who is absurdly great. He might be the only legitimate 5 star recruit at any sport in TU's history. Sure, we've had some great players in lots of sports, but none with the credentials this kid has coming out of high school. Widely considered to be the best overall player in Florida and ranked in the Top 10 nationally. Perhaps the best youth player I've ever seen in a high school game in the United States. If he develops, he will dominate the midfield. Hermann Trophy possibilities a few years from now. A really, really special prospect.---

from the espn.com Dallas blog page FC Dallas defeated the University of Tulsa men’s soccer team 5-1 today on the adidas Field at FC Dallas Stadium. Dallas got two goals each out of forwards Blas Perez and Scott Sealy in the victory.

The game got off to a slow start for FC Dallas. The team surrendered a 1-0 lead in just the fifth minute when Tulsa’s Bryce Follensbee got a jump on the FC Dallas defense. The speedy forward arrived first to a through ball played into the top right corner of the area and was taken to the ground by FC Dallas center back Ugo Ihemelu. Without hesitation, the referee awarded a penalty kick, which was converted by teammate Omar Mata.

FC Dallas settled down and found an equalizer in the 25th minute when Perez benefited from good combination play between Zach Loyd and Andrew Jacobson. After controlling the ball on the right flank, Loyd played Jacobson a through ball near the top of the area. Jacobson turned with the ball and knocked a lateral centering pass in on the floor to Perez, who controlled the ball well under pressure and finished low to the right side of Tulsa goalkeeper Mark Pace.

Brek Shea started the sequence that gave Dallas a 2-1 lead just before halftime. The midfielder controlled the ball at the top of the box with his back to goal before being knocked to the ground by a Tulsa defender. The foul earned Dallas a penalty kick, which was converted by Perez with a sharp pass into the lower right corner of the goal.

Dallas brought on 10 new players to begin the second half and got a goal from Sealy just 12 minutes later. The play began when right back Scott Gordon intercepted a pass near midfield and pushed the ball up the middle of the field to Bryan Leyva. Leyva turned and slotted a pass through Tulsa’s defense to Sealy, who spun and fired a low shot past the right arm of goalkeeper Mike Murray to make it 3-1.

University of Maryland product Alex Lee had a strong half. He set up both of FC Dallas’ final goals to help the team to a 5-1 victory. The first came in the 64th minute when Lee got the ball on the right flank and slid a pass inside to Dogba. The Ivory Coast forward finished cleanly, hitting a sliding shot to the back post with his first touch.

Lee beat a trio of Tulsa defenders on the dribble to setup the final goal. His pass inside to Sealy put the forward in position to give Dallas a 5-1 lead, but a Tulsa defender drug the Trinidadian native to the ground, forcing the referee to once again point to the spot. Sealy converted the penalty with a hard blast down the middle of the goal.

FC Dallas will play its final preseason tune-up in Frisco on Wednesday morning before departing to Orlando, Fla. to take part in the Walt Disney Pro Soccer Classic. FC Dallas will face the U.S. U-23 National Team in that match, which will be played on the adidas Field at FC Dallas Stadium at 10 a.m.
This post was edited on 2/21 8:09 AM by HuffyCane
This post was edited on 2/21 8:10 AM by HuffyCane

It would depend on whether he holds (or is eligible) for a Croatia passport.

He isnt cap tied to the US at this point.

Off-subject, but was Giuseppe Rossi ever a part of the USNT program? I know he was born in New Jersey and remember when Bruce Arena invited him to the pre-World Cup training camp with the United States national team in 2006. I was holding out hope that it would happen, and then he declared his desire to play for Italy...which I think he had done for most of his youth career.

Not to my knowledge. Despite both his parents employment with government entities in the United States, he and his father have always said Italy was the only choice. But they also said he would only play professionally in italy as well. So far, he's scored goals for Manchester United, Newcastle, and Spanish club Villareal.

Clearly, it's really about whatever his family thinks is best for him. Which is fine. Life should be based on that.

But he missed the cut for south Africa and the depth chart isn't getting easier either. He's played a few games for Italy, but if he doesnt break through and playing time with club becomes scarce, you wonder if he would make the one time switch that immigrants are allowed to make.

I'd love to have him. What other players made a switch like that to the US?

The ones I can think of are Edgar Castillo, who first played for Mexico, then switched to the US team...and Jermaine Jones, who played for Germany before switching to the US.

Hey, sorry. Rossi is cap tied to Italy. I didnt realize that he played in a 2010 Qualifier. I thought he only played in youth games and a friendly. He is lost forever, unless they change the rules yet again.

Arturo Alvarez is a guy that played the youth system in the US, then went to El Salvador's senior team. And of course Andy Najar did the same with Honduras.

Not much the other way that I can think of off the top of my head. Dooley, Regis, etc. never played for their national youth teams.

THREADJACK:

Huffy, any developments on your potential Denver move?

/THREADJACK

THREAD RE-JACK:

Interesting thing I found on the Yanks Are Coming blog from 2010....They missed Pablo Mastroeni...

THE USA DUAL NATIONALITY TEAM

The United States is known, for good reason, as a nation of immigrants. That reality is reflected in the makeup of our national team. Plenty of American players could have represented another country, like that despicable Judas traitor Giuseppe Rossi did. And conversely, plenty of players playing for foreign national teams could have suited up for the Yanks, like that despicable Judas traitor Giuseppe Rossi could have. So many players, in fact, you could make up an entire 23-man national team out of dual-citizenship holding Americans.

GK:

Tim Howard
? (USA/Hungary) He may be the final line of Yankee defense, but our very own Timmeh could have been a Magyar had he wished. His mother was born in Hungary, meaning Howard was theoretically eligible to play for the team of Puskas and Kubala.

Boaz Myhill ? (Wales/USA) The Hull City keeper may play his international football for Wales, but he was born in Modesto, California.

Darren Randolph ? (Ireland/USA) Randolph’s father emigrated to Ireland to play in the Irish basketball league. The Bray-born goalkeeper has gone on to represent Ireland at every level below the senior national team.

DF:

Carlos Bocanegra
? (USA/Mexico) The American captain has a Mexican father, but we won’t hold that against him.

Neven Subotic - (Serbia/USA) Although he plays for Serbia now, the Borussia Dortmund defender lived in the US for several years, and represented the US as a youth international before switching nationalities.

Oguchi Onyewu ? (USA/Nigeria) Onyewu’s parents immigrated to the US so that Onyewu’s father could play soccer at Howard University.

Brede Hangeland ? (Norway/USA) Now the Norwegian captain, Hangeland was born in Houston, Texas, but his family moved back to Norway when he was two.

Seb Hines ? (England/USA) His father is an American, but Leeds-born Hines has represented England at U19 level.

Edgar Castillo ? (USA/Mexico) Born in Los Cruces, New Mexico, Castillo represented El Tri four times before switching to play for the United States.

Jonathan Spector ? (USA/Germany) Both of his mother’s parents came to the US from Germany, and Spector holds a German passport.

MF:

Stuart Holden
? (USA/Scotland) Originally hailing from Aberdeen, Holden’s family moved to Texas when he was 12, and the midfielder made a name for himself with Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo before become a fixture in the USMNT.

Simon Poulsen ? (Denmark/USA) Born and raised in Denmark, the AZ midfielder is the son of an American father.

Ryan Smith ? (England/USA) English by birth, KC winger Smith’s father is an American. Despite picking up a youth cap for England, speculation has begun that Smith could play for the USA.

Freddy Adu - (USA/Ghana) Once widely tipped to be the first American megastar, Adu was born in Ghana, and courted by the Ghanaian national team before the 2006 World Cup.

Jermaine Jones ? (USA/Germany) The son of an American serviceman stationed in Europe, Jones played 3 times for Germany before opting to change to the US team.

Danny Szetela ? (USA/Poland) New Jersey product Szetela played at various youth levels for the US, but briefly considered playing his senior football for Poland

Sacha Kljestan ? (USA/Bosnia) The owner of the worst mustache in American soccer, Kljestan’s father played semi-professionally in Serbia.

Benny Feilhaber ? (USA/Brazil/Austria) The playmaker was born in Brazil, and his paternal grandfather fled WW2 Austria, making him eligible for three different nations.

Maurice Edu - (USA/Nigeria) The defensive midfielder boasts two parents from Nigeria.

FW:

Landon Donovan
? (USA/Canada) Quite possibly the best player the US has ever produced, Donovan’s father is from Canada. I think we can safely say he’s ours, though.

Giuseppe Rossi ? (Italy/USA) You know about it, I know about it. Moving on.

Jozy Altidore ? (USA/Haiti) The USA’s resident prodigy is quite famously a son of two Haitian parents.

Herculez Gomez ? (USA/Mexico) Both of Gomez’s parents were Mexican immigrants to the USA.

YanksAreComing.com

Down to three people. Waiting for the elected official to make a decision.

Originally posted by HuffyCane:
Hey, sorry. Rossi is cap tied to Italy. I didnt realize that he played in a 2010 Qualifier.

His play in the 2009 Confederation's Cup also leaves him cap-tied.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT